Cornwall Football Forum

KERNOW name World Cup squad!

Dave Deacon

10 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

What’s the criteria for a call up ? I’m sure there plenty of players that should be in that squad compared to some of names in it . 

Quite possibly but there’s loads of reasons that the “very best squad”, whatever that would look like, was never going to be available!

Criteria basically either havBig been born or to have lived in Cornwall since below aged 16.

Whatever the thoughts are on the squad - I don’t think it’s bad at all!

Theres a lot better players around than that lot ,Jack Bray Evans of Newquay should be in there from the start as should Neil Slateford .looks like Bodmin been favourite as usual with present Bodmin Players and past Bodmin PLayers ,what is the point of this tournament anyway the lads play enough matches like it is and dont need this to play some god forsaken team in the middle of nowhere you have never heard of .

I see the CCFA seem to be keeping a wide birth of this set up

Where does this organisation  feature in the affiliation of football ?  FIFA-> FA-> CCFA-> SWPL

I remember the days  when Beach football,Charity games-mixed matches were outlawed by the CCFA and many players were banned and fined for defying the authorities.

11 hours ago, Footballlover442 said:

No one from Saltash like barker or Richards 

Surprised about the lack of Truro players aswell 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Surly same for bath city / Taunton  players 

How many of the respective players are Cornish? very few if any i would have thought!

All though i wholeheartedly agree with some comments that the squad isn't the best representation.  People must remember that all of these people are amateurs and have bills etc to pay, so some of the best players that should be in the squad are probably not available.

JW

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

People must remember that all of these people are amateurs and have bills etc to pay, so some of the best players that should be in the squad are probably not available.

JW

Exactly! I think we would all pick a different squad, but not all would be able to go anyway and so best leaving it to the guys in the know!

Heard from a very reliable source this morning that none of the Saltash players were asked.

Some very very good players there, but also some players who are clearly there because of "who they know".  We are in essence led to believe that Dan Jennings is the 2nd best striker in cornwall behind Goldsworthy? There are 3 or 4 straight off the bat I can think of who are much better.

Good luck to them though!

13 minutes ago, SSB1 said:

Heard from a very reliable source this morning that none of the Saltash players were asked.

Some very very good players there, but also some players who are clearly there because of "who they know".  We are in essence led to believe that Dan Jennings is the 2nd best striker in cornwall behind Goldsworthy? There are 3 or 4 straight off the bat I can think of who are much better.

Good luck to them though!

But are they CORNISH?

JW

Saltash players not being asked thats so bad they got 2 of the best strikers in Hughes and Richards also 2 of the best Centre halfs in Menhenick and O,Brien and a top goalie in Ryan Rickard this tournament is a farce  end of where did this tournament come from anyway the players dont need it they are working men playing local football for the love of the game well some do others are just greedy mercenaries . Saltash players dont need this tournament they got to play enough games now anyway to catch up ,The poor buggers got to come home from a days work then they got to go and play a game of football and get kicked left right and centre they are a great team with great players and great management these lads have been togethere and our a bench mark for other teams to follow

Staggered by this squad!

These players not even asked;

Ryan Richards - best striker in Cornwall

Dave Barker - best RB in Cornwall

Chris Menhennick - best LB in Cornwall

Neil Slateford - best MF in Cornwall.

And then your picking absolute nobodies from Sweden and Australia?

Crazy, and they wonder why people aren't getting behind them?

If you liken this to a week-long, end of season club trip, there will be some players who are unable to go for various reasons; family and/or work commitments being the most likely but also the obvious costs involved. We could all pick a different squad - as is the case with any representative team - but it's not our "job" to do so!

• 2 weeks later...