Cornwall Football Forum

Why not play 2 games a week when the season starts

I was thinking when the season starts why not play 2 games a week when the season starts for a few months then so many games wouldnt be cancelled in January and Febuary and maybe the league could have a winter break then ,just  suggstion 2 or 3 games a week in  August and September and even October this would sort out so many cancellations and it would be nicer watching footy then for us fans as well

I don’t think that’s needed.  think mid weeks should be scheduled throughout the season.   At present they stop at start of November but I wonder how many blank weeks there have been where games could have been played. 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I was thinking when the season starts why not play 2 games a week when the season starts for a few months then so many games wouldnt be cancelled in January and Febuary and maybe the league could have a winter break then ,just  suggstion 2 or 3 games a week in  August and September and even October this would sort out so many cancellations and it would be nicer watching footy then for us fans as well

In the SWPL there are. The problem is that some clubs also have FA Cup/FA Vase at the start of the season that eats into some Saturdays and then some mid-weeks with replays too.

2 hours ago, Hetty said:

I don’t think that’s needed.  think mid weeks should be scheduled throughout the season.   At present they stop at start of November but I wonder how many blank weeks there have been where games could have been played. 

In the case of Saltash – there has been seven dry and fixture free mid weeks

3 hours ago, Hetty said:

Is that not 2 games as week as was suggested?

Yes Hetty 2 games a week in July August and September ,then so many games wouldnt be cancelled due to the awful weather now and us fans c,hould be watching matches in shorts and t shirts instead of waterproofs and wellies ,hope not any rain this week maybe able to go watch the G on Satday vs St Blazey should be a good game

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Yes Hetty 2 games a week in July August and September ,then so many games wouldnt be cancelled due to the awful weather now and us fans c,hould be watching matches in shorts and t shirts instead of waterproofs and wellies ,hope not any rain this week maybe able to go watch the G on Satday vs St Blazey should be a good game

That would be fantastic but during the months of July and August probably 30% plus of players will be unavailable due to holidays. It’s bad enough as it is in August when the season starts. I think the whole fixture list should be Saturday and then Tues/wed right from the beginning of the season all the way through to March and then the whole of March and April could then be filled up with all the fixtures that have been postponed. As we all know, there will be plenty of those games to fill the final 6 weeks or so

When you think, a team that does well in the CSC that's 3/4 Saturdays gone from potential league programme upto the Semi Final.

Then factor in the Cornwall Charity Cup for midweek another 3/4 dates disappear. 

Common sense needs to be applied by Cornwall FA. Make the Charity Cup a preseason event and move Senior Cup to midweek with Finals in May? 

In Cornwall it is inevitable more matches will be postponed due to the weather compared to say East Anglia or London. One suggestion is to reduce the league from 20 to 18, thereby four less midweek fixtures which is much more manageable.

11 minutes ago, skippy said:

One suggestion is to reduce the league from 20 to 18, thereby four less midweek fixtures which is much more manageable.

I too feel the number should be less, but unfortunately with the Step 6 being controlled by the FA, no chance of that happening!

21 minutes ago, We Two said:

With all the advice and suggestions being put forward, there should be no problem with finding a fixture secretary when Phil Hiscock retires . 🕺

Surely if premier league teams can play in the rain teams at this standard should be capable of doing so.There would therefore be less fixture problem. Simple.

35 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Surely if premier league teams can play in the rain teams at this standard should be capable of doing so.There would therefore be less fixture problem. Simple.

It's not the 'playing in the rain' thats the problem Al it's the damage being done to the pitches.Amatuer groundsmen have full time jobs/family etc. 

14 minutes ago, yeww said:

Don't rise to it

You seem to object to games being played in the rain but this is a straightforward solution, it is a sport just as rugby is and very few games in rugby are cancelled just because it is wet. I can remember, years ago standing in the rain watching local football so I fail to see why, within limits it cannot be undertaken now.

53 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

You seem to object to games being played in the rain but this is a straightforward solution, it is a sport just as rugby is and very few games in rugby are cancelled just because it is wet. I can remember, years ago standing in the rain watching local football so I fail to see why, within limits it cannot be undertaken now.

Premiership pitches are nothing like the pitches we play on, have you ever noticed that they never make a divot?

Rugby is a totally different game to football. 

Football is played on the ground,  rugby is a hand came...bit obvious really!

Football is a round ball game so you need a flat surface that the ball can roll on....not float or stick.

Football contact is at leg level,  a foot stuck in the ground breaks if tackled incorrectly. 

Think about it Al.

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

Its been the wettest February on record, and a premier league game was actually cancelled during that month......

Also, there have been quite a few rugby matches cancelled this season in Cornwall. Saltash vs Wadebridge was cancelled (Rugby) only 3 weeks ago.

31 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Premiership pitches are nothing like the pitches we play on, have you ever noticed that they never make a divot?

Football is a round ball game so you need a flat surface that the ball can roll on....not float or stick.

Football contact is at leg level,  a foot stuck in the ground breaks if tackled incorrectly. 

Think about it Al.

He's totally incapable of thinking. 

2 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Well all of February must have been outside of even your limits!

3 hours ago, silly billy said:

He's totally incapable of thinking. 

As you are!

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Think about it Al.

I learn day by day!