Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Friday & Saturday 28 & 29 February 2020

As at Saturday 12.33

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2020

EAST DIVISION

Liskeard Athletic Res            P-P            Polperro

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 29, 2020

EAST DIVISION

Bude Town                              0-2               Callington Town Reserves

Lanreath                                   P-P            Millbrook Reserves

Saltash United Reserves     P-P           Morwenstow

St Dennis Reserves                P-P              Launceston Reserves

St Mawgan                               P-P               Saltash Borough

Sticker Reserves                    1-1               AFC St Austell Reserves

Wadebridge Tn Reserves       2-2               Torpoint Athletic Reserves

WEST DIVISION                      

Falmouth Town Reserves   P-P          Hayle

Helston Athletic Reserves  P-P             Perranporth

Perranwell                                P-P              Mullion

Redruth United                        P-P            St Agnes

St Day                                      2-1               Illogan RBL

Wendron Utd Res                  P-P              St Ives Town

Oh, Illogan!

How to lose a game you should have comfortably won!

St Day went ahead on 4, lad left too long on the ball, allowing him to set himself up for - was it a shot or cross? Bit of wind assistance, I think. But St Day were well kept out for the next half hour, Illogan struggling with the really strong wind. Then during a rare Illogan attack, a rash challenge on a forward who was just about to face a 1 on 1 with the home 'keeper left St day with 10 men on 30 mins. All Illogan had to do was hold on 'til half time then attack the ten men with the ind behind them. They even equalised on 34, a muddle in the home defence, making the second half even more of a cinch.

Except it wasn't. St Day tore into them, against the wind and there was no sign of any game plan by Illogan, capitalising on their extra man, and on 73 there was a lad in yellow free in the left channel with no defender near him and there it was - 2 - 1!

Illogan huffed as the wind behind them puffed but their passing and ball control were woeful and despite a header from a corner that went over the bar and in added-on time a shot a foot wide of a post, that was it.

All credit to St Day, a deserved win against the odds.

Heavy slippery surface but eminently playable and all credit, too,  to all those who worked on the pitch to get this game on. It wasn't a very good game to watch for the neutral but at least it was a game. £2 to get in, though. I'm sure I only paid a quid at Illogan last week! Or was it £1.50? I forget (age!). Tea £1. Decent crowd as the only game to watch for miles. Nice to see Steve Massey there for a half-time chat, finding out his plans for next season at Helston.

1 hour ago, MARKSY said:

St day 2-1 Illogan 

St Day comfortable winners even when the ref sent Nathan Taylor off on 20 mins . Superb goal from Dan Richards . Well done St Day & Joffy . 

Yeah I thought when Illogan equalised 10 minutes before half-time they would go onto win as St Day for about an hour of the match were reduced to 10!

After St Day had withstood the early second half pressure, they looked the more likely to break the deadlock and rightly did so when Illogan allowed Richards to get on the ball and cross into the path of the No.11 Jake Williams to tap home from six yards or so.

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

was it a shot or cross?

I thought it was a well hit shot!

11 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Oh, Illogan!

St Day went ahead on 4, lad left too long on the ball, allowing him to set himself up for - was it a shot or cross? Bit of wind assistance, I think. But St Day were well kept out for the next half hour, Illogan struggling with the really strong wind. Then during a rare Illogan attack, a rash challenge on a forward who was just about to face a 1 on 1 with the home 'keeper left St day with 10 men on 30 mins. All Illogan had to do was hold on 'til half time then attack the ten men with the ind behind them. They even equalised on 34, a muddle in the home defence, making the second half even more of a cinch.

Except it wasn't. St Day tore into them, against the wind and there was no sign of any game plan by Illogan, capitalising on their extra man, and on 73 there was a lad in yellow free in the left channel with no defender near him and there it was - 2 - 1!

Illogan huffed as the wind behind them puffed but their passing and ball control were woeful and despite a header from a corner that went over the bar and in added-on time a shot a foot wide of a post, that was it.

Heavy slippery surface but eminently playable and all credit, too,  to all those who worked on the pitch to get this game on. It wasn't a very good game to watch for the neutral but at least it was a game. £2 to get in, though. I'm sure I only paid a quid at Illogan last week! Or was it £1.50? I forget (age!). Tea £1. Decent crowd as the only game to watch for miles. Nice to see Steve Massey there for a half-time chat, finding out his plans for next season at Helston.

That extra 50p to get in is worth it seeing the money goes into the pitch and making it good enough to play on. Well done grounds staff!

43 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Oh, Illogan!

St Day went ahead on 4, lad left too long on the ball, allowing him to set himself up for - was it a shot or cross? Bit of wind assistance, I think.

All credit to St Day, a deserved win

Hilarious post Illogan should have comfortably won !!!! You don’t comfortably win just because a team have ten men, also when a team goes to ten men you don’t necessarily leave a lone striker up top on his own for 80 mins before the whole team decide that they need to pull there fingers out,  plus was it a shot or cross🤣🤣🤣😆 if that was a cross I’m in for a lottery win tonight . Wind assisted 😆maybe it was a quality strike plus the keeper was just off his line . You defo posted the last bit right Tom a deserved win 👍

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

Oh, Illogan!

Wrong Tom! I had a walk across the pitch after the game with the groundsman Mark.

Got to say the pitch was impressively firm and dry, a few soft areas but nothing of concern in reality, wish my pitch was as dry as St Days.

95% perfectly playable with the evidence of a good slitting and sanding programme producing a remarkable surface after all the rain this month.

A bloody big well done from me:clapper:

47 minutes ago, countyman said:

But the res game was postponed?

Anyone that has visited the ground at St Day will know the first team pitch is much better than the reserve team pitch.  Despite being in close proximity, the reserves pitch tends to hold water a lot more and actually becomes quite dangerous when wet, particularly at the far end - it certainly didn't surprise me when that was called off - it also didn't surprise me that the first team game was on.  One would also think that the majority of St Day's groundsman's efforts are on the first team pitch.

I think the quote is regarding Illogan Reserves off Dave (3rd week in a row for JC fixture....nightmare!)

14 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Anyone that has visited the ground at St Day will know the first team pitch is much better than the reserve team pitch.  Despite being in close proximity, the reserves pitch tends to hold water a lot more and actually becomes quite dangerous when wet, particularly at the far end - it certainly didn't surprise me when that was called off - it also didn't surprise me that the first team game was on.  One would also think that the majority of St Day's groundsman's efforts are on the first team pitch.

so The statement was Illogan had a depleted regular first team  but options from the 2nds if called upon 

20 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Rightly so Dave, talking to Mark afterwards they are now focusing their attention on the reserve pitch for the next few years.

Trying to do two at the same time is cost prohibitive. 

30 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Well done Dave Searle  true clubman.

On the junior cup game, I would have thought it would have been in footballs best interest to play it last week, instead of the first team league game,which could easily been played midweek later in the season. I know it's out of the clubs hands.

Think you will find that the junior cup game was fixtured away for the last 2 weeks and postponed, not at Illogan so wouldn't of affected the 1sts league game being played at home

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

They have been focusing on both pitches, with the work needed on the second pitch having to be done in stages due to the cricket. I think plans are in place to make it better for next season.

For me st day were better in all areas and illogan were happy to sit back and just not lose. both teams looked to be missing one or two but both were able to field a peninsula player due to postponements. the conditions ruined the game, although it was good to finally watch a game and credit to st day for getting it played. The ref didn't have his best game I would say.  You would not have been able to tell which team had 10 men. every loser will find an excuse and now we see illogan doing just that. they didn't moan about being short when they were beating teams like mousehole, perranwell and st agnes. I say the result effectively rules out any slim hope of an illogan title challenge.

Saw this game.

St Day the better team on the day with their No9 the most influential player on show...my MOM.

Two teams who stood toe to toe in a bruising encounter with a lot of little after tackle hissy fits, but a good old football battle for me.

Well refereed  imo, certainly could have dished out a few cards but allowed both teams to get on with beating each other up...a throw back to the good old days ...I enjoyed it.

The conditions ruined the game...NO...pitch very good condition and eminently playable.

We decided to visit Sticker as their St Pirans game against high flying St Austell reserves appeared to be the only one  being played locally.
When we arrived it was obvious that many other people had the same thoughts as us and parking was at a premium and spilled out on to the surrounding entrance area.
Despite the gale force wind, rain, sunshine, and hailstorms that greeted us we found shelter and with what must have been a record crowd for a St Pirans game played in such conditions we awaited kick off.
Two sets of heroes plus officials took to the field and the expected onslaught from the saints young team was awaited.
In a nutshell, and recognising that weather conditions can be a great leveller, the unexpected happened when Tom Hocking scored for the hosts to give them an unexpected confidence boost.
It was a position not enjoyed for long as  we think it was a Sticker old boy Matt Searle who soon scored the equaliser.
With the saints table topping team, having only lost two and drawn one all season we waited for the floodgates to open.
Thankfully for the hosts the only floodgates that opened were in the sky and the rest of the game was played out to a draw with no more goals in the second half which Sticker will be more than happy with.
Both teams had their chances to seal a win, but a draw was a fair result on a weather affected day.
Both young teams should be appauded for playing the game in such conditions, and we include the hosts in that statement, where we have always been made to feel welcome.
Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season, and thanks Sticker for giving us an excuse to not to be couch potatoes.
To whoever is responsible for the condition of the playing surface at this club, well done is an understatement.

On 29/02/2020 at 18:48, MARKSY said:

Hilarious post Illogan should have comfortably won !!!! You don’t comfortably win just because a team have ten men, also when a team goes to ten men you don’t necessarily leave a lone striker up top on his own for 80 mins before the whole team decide that they need to pull there fingers out,  plus was it a shot or cross🤣🤣🤣😆 if that was a cross I’m in for a lottery win tonight . Wind assisted 😆maybe it was a quality strike plus the keeper was just off his line . You defo posted the last bit right Tom a deserved win 👍

You've made my point for me. You turn round at 1 - 1 against the wind and so face a 2nd half WITH that wind PLUS the one man advantage. Having equalised against the wind against ten men, a team should win with 45 minutes against ten and with the wind. That's why I said "SHOULD have comfortably won. But footy being what it is (Watford 3 Liverpool 0), although Illogan in the circumstances SHOULD have won (so should have Liverpool, top v 2nd-bottom), they didn't - because St day didn't lie down and accept the "inevitable" (like Watford) but faced Illogan down and took the game to them. And, as you imply, Illogan's tactics were very poor. So a very good 3 points for St Day (and Watford!)

On 29/02/2020 at 18:11, willy7 said:

That extra 50p to get in is worth it seeing the money goes into the pitch and making it good enough to play on. Well done grounds staff!

Yes, I'll happily accept that! Next time I visit St day I'll put a fiver in the bucket. (Not EVERY time: just NEXT time!)

23 hours ago, SNKY 10 said:

Think you will find that the junior cup game was fixtured away for the last 2 weeks and postponed, not at Illogan so wouldn't of affected the 1sts league game being played at home

Yeah found that out after but think I'm right in saying that situation could arise this weekend, because of the two postponement rule, which in this weather is a bit harsh as most grounds are out of action. This weekend Illogan 1st team are fixtures home so in theory the game will be played in two weeks.