Cornwall Football Forum

35 minutes ago, Andys said:

Steve, is it going to be another extreme weather protocol weekend again? If as a home team we were able to get our feet on an available 3G pitch, will the league sanction the game being moved, question applicable to everyone I guess?

Bit of a halfway house Andy.  I dropped a line to all Secretaries yesterday and I'm happy to take early postponements tomorrow morning without the need for a referee to have a look.  We have to be a bit pragmatic but realistic at the same time.  Where I am it's not been too bad today, just a bit grey and horrible, other places have had rain and with the rain forecast for overnight I'm not optimistic about tomorrow.

If you can find an approved 3g to play on I'm not going to object.  A list of FA/FIFA approved 3g's in the county is here: http://3g.thefa.me.uk/?countyfa=Cornwall

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

NO RAIN! 13 hours of it here today.

That's the perks of the weather down here.  North, South, East or West or even just a few miles up the road it can be different.  Just started to drizzle, I know this because my patio is no longer dry(ish).

Games at Liskeard tonight and Redruth United tomorrow have already gone.

4 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Steve  Cornwall College is being relaid as well. So should be available again soon 

I knew it was being done but not when.  It'll be a welcome addition and I believe that one or two more are on the way.  Salt Mill is going to be relaid very soon to keep it up to standard.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Steve - any idea what the difference is between a FIFA approved and a FA approved?

No idea Dave.  I would guess at more stringent testing  but the key thing for us is that if it's FA approved it can be used for league fixtures.

17 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Steve - any idea what the difference is between a FIFA approved and a FA approved?

14 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

No idea Dave.  I would guess at more stringent testing  but the key thing for us is that if it's FA approved it can be used for league fixtures.

I've done a little more digging on this this morning and I think the answer may be in this extract:

'My certificate states that I already have FIFA certification – FIFA approve a pitch for 4 years from the construction date of completion and the FA will accept this certificate for a 3 year period from the date of issue. If the pitch is to be used at steps 3 to 6, the FA Women’s Super League or in FA competitions the pitch will need to be tested annually as per the competition rules.'

12 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

The FIFA one is the three yearly one that costs about £2000-£3000. FA approved is that it meets FA requirements as laid down in the County Handbooks I believe. 

To be used in competitions all 3g's have to be tested by 'an approved test house' and the results passed to the FA who then inform the CFA's whether they have passed or not and any remedial actions needed.  Depending on the level of the competition testing will be annually or every 3 years.

Correct Older there are various tests to qualify for 3G FIFA approval. surface level check with 10 foot straight edge, ball bounce, ball roll, depth of infill and height of "grass". The last 4 are done on a regular basis in house and are done on 16 different positions on the pitch. The real expensive test done by the "experts" is a computerised machine which measures how much the surface holds the boot and the ability to twist and turn without injury. That is the one that cannot be done in house. As previously mentioned for approval it needs to be done every 3 years. Best quote so far £1800. 

2 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

Correct Older there are various tests to qualify for 3G FIFA approval. surface level check with 10 foot straight edge, ball bounce, ball roll, depth of infill and height of "grass". The last 4 are done on a regular basis in house and are done on 16 different positions on the pitch. The real expensive test done by the "experts" is a computerised machine which measures how much the surface holds the boot and the ability to twist and turn without injury. That is the one that cannot be done in house. As previously mentioned for approval it needs to be done every 3 years. Best quote so far £1800. 

What was the result of plugging those couple of spots that were causing a bit of concern? 

yep drilled the holes with my homemade plunger 6-8 inches left for thursday/friday downpours water drained away well. Which as I suspected pointed to compaction of the top 2/3 inches in these areas. So more weight on the star spiker and good going over with the aeration later. A good drier forecast for this week so be able to get out more on the surfaces for everyone!

35 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

yep drilled the holes with my homemade plunger 6-8 inches left for thursday/friday downpours water drained away well. Which as I suspected pointed to compaction of the top 2/3 inches in these areas. So more weight on the star spiker and good going over with the aeration later. A good drier forecast for this week so be able to get out more on the surfaces for everyone!

Good one, I think myself there is a slight chance of this weather breaking at last.

Noticed this week two Magnolias breaking into flower and my cherry tree buds starting to swell...all good signs.

Also my bones are aching but that could be the old Arthur Itis...lol