Cornwall Football Forum

Summer Leagues: Would it ever be a thing? This weather will..

be the death of grassroots football, not just for the fact that seasons have huge disruption, but the sheer fact that pitches cannot cope and recover from such standing water.

Highly unlikely to ever happen of course, but for the sake of getting games on, I'm sure many clubs would relish the odd Tuesday midweek game in June/July simply to get a game under the belt.

I've never known a season like it!

Summer football...URGHHH!

Pitches will and do recover from this weather, soil and grass are very resilient things.

A bit of warmth, aeration, fertiliser and investment can and will work wonders, but that's the age old problem...money.

Better to put as many games on in early season and perhaps reduce league sizes to facilitate this changing weather pattern.

I think teams would struggle more to put a team out in the summer tbh. Holidays, family, work, weddings can’t see it working. But IT could be that they change the league to start a slightly different time with a break in between and extending it to finish later in the year. Surely it can’t keep raining like this every week much longer! 

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Summer football...URGHHH!

Pitches will and do recover from this weather, soil and grass are very resilient things.

A bit of warmth, aeration, fertiliser and investment can and will work wonders, but that's the age old problem...money.

Better to put as many games on in early season and perhaps reduce league sizes to facilitate this changing weather pattern.

The combo league used to have 20 teams in it .. thank god they have reduced the number of teams in the league this season ...

Start bang on 1st August and finish 30th April. 9 month season with 3 months break for the pitches, not taking friendlies in mid, late July into account obviously. Maybe a couple less friendlies and crack on with the season straight away, soon as it’s August! Hopefully if you have to play in May, it will just be the cup finals and not a big back log of league games!? If you got a lot of cricketers, you can still play early midweek games. Try and aim to play two thirds of your season by January, cos we know this shit is coming every Jan/Feb!!! 👍🤓

23 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

Start bang on 1st August and finish 30th April. 9 month season with 3 months break for the pitches, not taking friendlies in mid, late July into account obviously. Maybe a couple less friendlies and crack on with the season straight away, soon as it’s August! Hopefully if you have to play in May, it will just be the cup finals and not a big back log of league games!? If you got a lot of cricketers, you can still play early midweek games. Try and aim to play two thirds of your season by January, cos we know this shit is coming every Jan/Feb!!! 👍🤓

Trouble is Mark it started in October this season! 

Unfortunately you just have to accept the global weather conditions. Maybe a two week break over Christmas to let pitches repair slightly? More funding for 3G pitches. This winters weather has been ridiculously bad and I can’t remember being a worse one to date. Maybe have a better fixture structure where we play more evening games in late August early September and maybe April and the month in May. Everyone I see is just struggling not only for players but to actually get a games on  

I am involved  with walking football for over 50s and the new league will be played through the summer , east and west divisions  , at central venues , hopefully  better  weather , there is a better chance of getting a 3g pitch and hopefully  warmer  weather for the old joints lol , at present looks like 5 teams in each division  with a finals day  to get the league winners , any info visit ccfa walking football for clubs in your area .