Cornwall Football Forum

RESULT - Wednesday 26 February 2020

I took in this game down at Mousehole, desperate for a football fix having seen Falmouth's game called off the day before. I was hopeful from the off that this game would go ahead, with it largely dry throughout the day yesterday. I arrived to see work being done around the ground down at Mousehole, potentially a new kiosk for collecting entry fees is what it looks like. The clubhouse did a lovely selection of hot drinks along with pasties!!

Onto the football.... The game started off well, Mousehole having a lot of possession, with Porthleven looking to hit them on the counter attack. For all Mousehole's possession, they made very little of it. Porthleven had the first chance of the game, with a strike from their midfielder that hit the underside of the bar, and as the striker went to tap home the rebound, it looked to me as if he was upended by the defender, but no penalty was given. A big decision early on that had a large impact on the flow of the game as shortly after, Mousehole hit 2 goals in as many minutes to lead 2-0, and that is how it remained at the break. The rain was relentless, which to my surprise, did not stop either side from trying to play football.

The second half started the same as the first, with Porthleven being compact and hard to break down, and Mousehole keeping possession, until a slip up at the back for Mousehole allowed the Porthleven winger in to score! Game on! Well, that was for about a minute, until Mousehole made it 3-1 from a short corner, with the shot going right through the visiting keeper. Porthleven to their credit didnt lie down, and even threw on another striker to make a game of it.... which resulted in a breakaway for Mousehole and the former St Austell man Hayden Turner produced a superb finish to make it 4-1. Porthleven grabbed another goal back from a corner to make it 4-2 before a late goal for Mousehole, coming from a corner of their own, completed the scoring at 5-2. 

A good game all in all, very tricky conditions, with heavy rain for the entirety of the match. Not sure on the fixtures, but if mousehole are at home on wednesday, then it will need a miracle for that pitch to be fit to play on!

Officials - linesmen (unsure on names) were decent, very little they did wrong IMO. Referee was Shaun Edge, a chap from Torpoint (or somewhere in that region)..... very strange sending him down to Mousehole when this was the only game fixtured on that evening?? I thought he was pretty poor in all honesty, missed the penalty decision, and seemed to hand out random yellow cards for both sides, mainly for late tackles... on the wet surface, they werent malicious at all, he didnt take into account the conditions. Had very little decisions to make throughout the game but wasnt impressive.

Mousehole are a decent size, however, definitely beatable. Poor at the back, but keep the ball well. Porthleven seemed well drilled defensively, but didnt offer much going forwards. Would say their current league positions are fair.

With the forecast for tomorrow and saturday looking like it is, This could be my last game for a while as im not hopeful for the weekend fixtures! :( 

6 hours ago, SCFC said:

I took in this game down at Mousehole, desperate for a football fix having seen Falmouth's game called off the day before. I was hopeful from the off that this game would go ahead, with it largely dry throughout the day yesterday. I arrived to see work being done around the ground down at Mousehole, potentially a new kiosk for collecting entry fees is what it looks like. The clubhouse did a lovely selection of hot drinks along with pasties!!

Onto the football.... The game started off well, Mousehole having a lot of possession, with Porthleven looking to hit them on the counter attack. For all Mousehole's possession, they made very little of it. Porthleven had the first chance of the game, with a strike from their midfielder that hit the underside of the bar, and as the striker went to tap home the rebound, it looked to me as if he was upended by the defender, but no penalty was given. A big decision early on that had a large impact on the flow of the game as shortly after, Mousehole hit 2 goals in as many minutes to lead 2-0, and that is how it remained at the break. The rain was relentless, which to my surprise, did not stop either side from trying to play football.

The second half started the same as the first, with Porthleven being compact and hard to break down, and Mousehole keeping possession, until a slip up at the back for Mousehole allowed the Porthleven winger in to score! Game on! Well, that was for about a minute, until Mousehole made it 3-1 from a short corner, with the shot going right through the visiting keeper. Porthleven to their credit didnt lie down, and even threw on another striker to make a game of it.... which resulted in a breakaway for Mousehole and the former St Austell man Hayden Turner produced a superb finish to make it 4-1. Porthleven grabbed another goal back from a corner to make it 4-2 before a late goal for Mousehole, coming from a corner of their own, completed the scoring at 5-2. 

A good game all in all, very tricky conditions, with heavy rain for the entirety of the match. Not sure on the fixtures, but if mousehole are at home on wednesday, then it will need a miracle for that pitch to be fit to play on!

Officials - linesmen (unsure on names) were decent, very little they did wrong IMO. Referee was Shaun Edge, a chap from Torpoint (or somewhere in that region)..... very strange sending him down to Mousehole when this was the only game fixtured on that evening?? I thought he was pretty poor in all honesty, missed the penalty decision, and seemed to hand out random yellow cards for both sides, mainly for late tackles... on the wet surface, they werent malicious at all, he didnt take into account the conditions. Had very little decisions to make throughout the game but wasnt impressive.

Mousehole are a decent size, however, definitely beatable. Poor at the back, but keep the ball well. Porthleven seemed well drilled defensively, but didnt offer much going forwards. Would say their current league positions are fair.

With the forecast for tomorrow and saturday looking like it is, This could be my last game for a while as im not hopeful for the weekend fixtures! :( 

I have just watched the game and the referee shaun edge issued 3 yellow cards.

Number 10 mousehole late challenge looked like studs down back of leg

Number 4 porthleven for a late tackle he even sat on him stopping him from proggressing

Number 8 mousehole for the reckless challenge in the corner flag before he got subbed.

Also the commenter said that the referee used common sense for the weather conditions and had a good game.

Also the referee was on the oringinal fixture and was kept on the game and he also speaking to him afterwards capped his fee and he even lost money to referee the game and saved the club money.

So SCFC what game where you watching as the video of the game shows this and commenter kept saying the referee and officals had a good game.