Cornwall Football Forum

Haha...good spot Mrgreen, I sort of showed him the inner outer way of cutting grass and left him to it while I whipped away for a new throttle cable, when I got back he was ¾ finished. I noticed it myself when I posted the picture (didn't notice it taking the picture DOH)...ah well...not the end of the world!

During the season I will normally cut in pattern every time alternating with cross cutting to produce the box pattern.

If (IF) we have a blank weekend I will brush and cut against the pattern to give the grass a chance to stand up, I like to think the grass enjoys a rest from lying down all the time...lol.

Definitely a well tuned cylinder leaves the best of finishes, the 180 has been sharpened but is not proving easy to set up, there are 36 adjustable points on the 3 cylinders! and has not been looked after adjusting wise, a few spots still not quite right yet.

I think I will start from the beginning again but this time I will start with the levelling bar to get it right from the bottom up.

I have the boxes but not the catcher plates...bugger on that, I will have to have them made if I want them though.

Setting the stripes with the 180 at the moment but will go back to a 6 yard pattern when the footy starts again, just using this break to mow in all directions at this time, and in the winter will use the rotary as the 180 is too heavy for a wet pitch.

13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Eventful day today, dogs peeing all over the pitch causing the grass to flush with the nitrogen in it, and burning it with the heat.

Screenshot_20200524-181422_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200524-181419_Gallery.jpg

Also the clover has started to flower. Screenshot_20200524-181436_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fd3ed15bd10a35668275b45a53a962ed.jpg

Most likely the female of the species. Male dogs tend to lift a leg and use a post, or something similar.(much like myself) Where as the bitch will squat and go anywhere(much like my first girlfriend).

Foxes have a similar effect.

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Anyone any idea how to add a photo? It always says the photo is to large. 

Paul screenshot your phone with the picture up, then upload the screenshot.

A screenshot is much smaller. Hope your well mate, following your work on social media, looking really good at Blaise Park.

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

One for you Mrgreen...what's this(?)

Had a few on the pitch this year but never before!

Looks like a young figwort to me...over to you please.

Screenshot_20200527-154805_Gallery.jpg

Ok. Here goes.

To be really honest, I don’t know. I’m going to have to take an educated guess

It appears to me, like a young plant, that hasn’t been allowed to develop due to close mowing.

It kind of looks like a young Charlock. (Big woody bush, with yellow flowers) seeds like buggery. But I’d like to edge my bets a little and say it could also be a young ragwort.

Take a look around, over a few hedges, and see what’s in abundance. Sorry I can’t be of any further assistance, but if you get a firm identification post it, to let us know. 

Thank you Mark for the help. I tryed all sorts but gave up last night. 

Just thought id stick this picture here of Hayles ground yesterday. Looking lovely in the sun. Popped up the hill for a quick look as ive not seen the place since the All weather pitch was built. I was visiting my mum through the window of the Hayle hospital. First time seeing her for 9 weeks after suffering a brain hemorrhage and having had 3 operations in Derriford it was good to see her. 

Anyway, Hayles pitch looked fantastic. Great colour to. 👏

20200527_140052.jpg

43 minutes ago, baldy said:

Hopefully they should all look fab with no one on them, but I have my doubts.

Pitches having a rest will certainly help. However they don’t look good by chance. A fair bit of skill, and considerable time and dedication is required, not to mention financial investment.

Those pitches without these things, and just left to their own devices, will be in a very similar condition to when they were abandoned.

9 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

Pitches having a rest will certainly help. However they don’t look good by chance. A fair bit of skill, and considerable time and dedication is required, not to mention financial investment.

Those pitches without these things, and just left to their own devices, will be in a very similar condition to when they were abandoned.

That’s sort of what I meant.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Anyone any idea how to add a photo? It always says the photo is to large. 

Hello buddy.

If you're posting from a laptop just cut and paste your pictures.

If from a phone, screenshot it, go to your picture files and select the screenshot file, click the picture you want and it will load to the forum. 

Spent a bit more time today back lapping the cylinders, starting to look better now, but still more adjustments to be made, setting bar next to check the manufacturer's height settings.

Screenshot_20200527-154810_Gallery.jpg

Also a bit of a pattern developing. 

Screenshot_20200527-154750_Gallery.jpg

Serious problems developing with this heat though with a lot of dry spots showing, will have get the watering machine out to try and save some of these areas but the heat is now a serious problem! Desperate for rain...C'MON! Don't think I will be able to get enough water down to save a lot of these areas, but grass is very resilient and will go dormant in these situations, when it rains they come back to life as long as the period is not too long.

And looking at the number of dry patches I'm pretty sure this is a compaction problem rather than dry patch itself.

Screenshot_20200527-154830_Gallery.jpg

I have looked around the area to try and identify the weed Mrgreen but there are no Charnock, Ragwort or Figworts on site or nearby, I have found a bumper crop of Figwort a couple of hundred yards away and it must have come from there I'm thinking...never had this weed before though...strange one for me!

16 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I have looked around the area to try and identify the weed Mrgreen but there are no Charnock, Ragwort or Figworts on site or nearby, I have found a bumper crop of Figwort a couple of hundred yards away and it must have come from there I'm thinking...never had this weed before though...strange one for me!

Just a thought, that I had today. Bit of a long shot to be honest.. Could it have come in, in the mole hills you processed.

I’m still edging towards, young, stunted, charlock.

No Mrgreen have not used the earth from the mole hills yet.

Try this. The weed in question. 

A young Figwort 

Screenshot_20200528-143254_Gallery.jpg

A young Charlock

Screenshot_20200528-143251_Gallery.jpg

Found this lot 2 fields over, spot on southwest from us!

Screenshot_20200528-143258_Gallery.jpg

Started watering today, gave the dry patches a good soaking before setting out the watering machine.

Screenshot_20200528-143325_Gallery.jpg

Set the machine away at 2.00pm and at 7.00pm it had travelled 50ft odd.

Screenshot_20200528-143344_Gallery.jpg

5 hours later

Screenshot_20200528-202829_Gallery.jpg

Just come in from setting the machine away again (12.00am) it will pull the hose for around 9 hours so a good night time soaking for the dry patches, I'll go up and check it early morning and set it out again.

That's good water pumping out now...might even get the second machine out to speed things up a bit.

Always remember that a hosepipe left out in the sun can develop Legionnaires disease in the dormant water, when turning on for the first time stand well away from the end of the hose until the old water has been pushed out.

It's a rare occurrence but it has happened! 

Screenshot_20200529-091524_Gallery.jpg

Fertiliser going down and vertidraining being carried out today. Seeding in the next few days. Hoping by leaving the grass a bit longer we wont have it burnt to much. So far so good. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Fertiliser going down and vertidraining being carried out today. Seeding in the next few days. Hoping by leaving the grass a bit longer we wont have it burnt to much. So far so good. 

Fertiliser...really!!! Better pray for rain unless it's a slow or controlled release one(?) You're going to dry your pitch out now...watering machines at the ready!

A bit more adjustment and Ryan cut the whole field today with a bit of pattern to boot.

Dont think I would keep this pattern as a little bit to busy for me...juries out on this as well. 

Screenshot_20200529-141951_Gallery.jpg

Good luck with that Paul,can you still take water from the river.Thanks for the photo and the comments about the pitch much appreciated.Dave ,if Ryan wants to come and cut my pitch he can put whichever pattern he wants on it. Looking good though stay safe

17 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No Mrgreen have not used the earth from the mole hills yet.

Try this. The weed in question. 

A young Figwort 

Screenshot_20200528-143254_Gallery.jpg

A young Charlock

Screenshot_20200528-143251_Gallery.jpg

Found this lot 2 fields over, spot on southwest from us!

Screenshot_20200528-143258_Gallery.jpg

Started watering today, gave the dry patches a good soaking before setting out the watering machine.

Screenshot_20200528-143325_Gallery.jpg

Oh, bugger. That blows that theory out of the water. Doesn’t really look much like either one, does it?

The big clump of yellow weeds in photo, is what I know as charlock. I think some may know it as mustard seed or rape.

Dry patch....bit of a subject, try and stay with me guys, and stay awake!!

True dry patch is when the soil particles become coated with a waxy substance. This makes the soil, what is known as hydrophobic and is virtually impossible to re wet. A surfactant ( surface activant) also known as wetting agents help by breaking down surface tension (makes water, wetter) 

Fairy liquid is a surfactant, it cuts through the greasy (waxy) coating on the plate to clean it. It will also strip the wax off your car. Soil surfactants work in a similar way. 

The standard industry test for dry patch is, called a droplet test. Take a core sample. Lay it on its side and apply a few drops of water at various points if water sits or beads on surface it’s probably dry patch. Check against an area that isn’t showing symptoms. If water soaks in within a few seconds, then it isn’t dry patch. It’s just DRY. If water beads, drop a little fairy liquid in water it will soak in, just to prove the point.

DO NOT USE FAIRY LIQUID ON YOUR PITCH. I’m not sure if it’s suitable.

Dry patch tends to return in the same spots every year, whether treated or not. As older rightly suggests a soil with good microbiology is less prone to dry patch. I think, probably because the soil microbes munch on the waxy deposits.

Soil surfactants are a whole subject on their own. For another day if your a sucker for punishment?

Just come of the pitch after checking the ground temperature 26⁰  yes 26⁰ bonkers.

Ryan fitted a new throttle cable to the 180 and now running spot on, still want to fiddle with the height and cutting a bit more yet but overall pretty good.

Ran a spot check on the watering machine and calculated on its present setting it's putting out 56 cubic metres a day over 24 hrs, not bad but the whole pitch is starting to dry up now, so problems ahead to keep the whole pitch going! 

Desperate for rain now.

I think this weekend, was when turfgrass went from a little dry. Into temporary wilting point. Mainly down to the heat I think. Still recoverable. Permanent wilting point is more serious. As the name suggests, no way back from this. Fortunately grass rarely suffers. Most soil types will hold just enough moisture to sustain plant turgidity, in established plants. Newer seedlings are a lot more vulnerable. 

It looks as though some relief may be on the way midweek,  just in time I would suggest.

Yes Mrgreen last week and the last couple of days have taken their toll on tha available moisture in the soil, as posted I measured the soil temperature at 26⁰ yesterday! 

The grass is in places suffering temporary wilt in the daytime, you can spot this by walking on the grass, if at wilting stage you will leave an obvious footprint,  the grass does not readily spring back up....you need to water...quickly.

When you start to get shadows that is permanent wilt showing, the grass blade is shrinking and dying.

This will need instant watering the grass is dying.

Screenshot_20200528-143235_Gallery.jpg

Also noticed today the Ryegrass is rapidly pushing seed now, long stalks supported by 3 leaves is your Rye grasses. I'll leave these for a couple of days and then nip them off with the rotary, dont want them seeding or they will go dormant very quickly...no growth! Lack of moisture will also put your Ryegrass into dormancy so water if you can, particularly any new seed you have sown.

Screenshot_20200601-234828_Gallery.jpg

One for you Mrgreen,  spotted this behind the ball stop netting today!

Screenshot_20200601-235001_Gallery.jpg