Cornwall Football Forum

Yes Mr Green. You are talking about nitrification in an aerobic soil, microbes changing electrical charges on fixed nitrogen molecules and changing them into soluble nitrates (most nitrates are soluble salts) and so on, too deep to go into on a football forum as you say methinks! 

Plants do need nitrogen to build their cellular structures though and too stay green, which is why when soil is waterlogged (anaerobic) the grass turns yellow as lack of oxygen stops nitrification.

Also at the time of the spring flush brighter days facilitates the start of photosynthesis vital in the growth of grass as well. 

Enough of this anyway...too heavy bro'.

The flush after aeration is due to gaseous exchange,  stale air being replaced by fresh air. The soil, and all that entails can breathe again.

I would consider a blanket spray of selective weed killer if my initial reaction to looking at a severely infested pitch was... F#$% spraying that by hand!

13 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

The free nitrogen, and associated growth are down to the warmer soil temps, as most will know.

Whats slightly less known is why. Grass doesn’t grow with nitrogen, but in fact nitrate, which is converted from nitrogen by soil fungi and bacteria. Whilst I’m in danger of getting carried away with the subject.  Suffice to say these bugs become more active in warm soils.

They also require a healthy supply of oxygen, which is why you get a flush of growth after a spike. Especially around the tine holes.

Older..... At what level of weed infestation would you consider a blanket spray. Are you feeling the effects of no worm suppression yet. Do you think weeds will become more of an issue with increased casting.

Sorry Mr Green I missed the worm bit on your post. The worm casting has slowed down now but still a fair amount showing, the difference now is the cast dries out within a couple of hours so no fear of smearing and capping the ground anymore.

Our pitch has been regularly treated over many years so not a lot of weed seeds being brought to the surface as not as lot of weeds. Those seeds that germinate on the casts are doomed in this heat as they dry out to quickly for germination to be successful. 

Curses, a couple of mild frosts here the last two days! 

Screenshot_20200407-095343_Gallery.jpg

And still water in the trench...this the true water table now I'm sure.

Screenshot_20200407-095617_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4caf791b6f48079c9da38b2936951593.jpg

Was going to put a bit of seed in the goalmouths today but the ground temperature is down to 8⁰ again, and I think I'll have to give the goalmouths a bit of water before seeding them. Always better to water the seed bed before seeding than after as afterwards the seeds can float to the surface and you lose them to any heat drying them out.

New lawns from seed will come up patchy at first dont be tempted to water them,  just wait until all germination has taken place and the patchiness will be gone.

When watering new lawns or any grass area make sure you flood it or you will get surface rooting only, make sure the whole profile is wetted. Give the area a good soaking and do it again later in the day to ensure water penetration,  in the evening is always best to avoid too much evaporation.

‐------------------------

So I took the nets and goals down instead...that's the end of this season for sure!