Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Interesting


Recommended Posts

On 03/05/2021 at 22:25, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not before time Paul, not a lot of rain here though, going to need a lot more than this buddy.

Rain at night, long sunny days for photosynthesis and a bit of warmth for the soil bacteria and the grass will fly...wishful thinking...lol.

Heres how dry it's been,  a line on the training ground!!!

 

Screenshot_20210503-223342_Gallery.jpg

Side winning the toss will bowl first I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont think ive known a April/May like this. The grass just isnt growing. Even the rain hasnt made a huge difference. 

Lots to do over the coming weeks now. Verti draining, seeding, fertiliser etc. Not done alot to it recently as so much else to get done first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I dont think ive known a April/May like this. The grass just isnt growing. Even the rain hasnt made a huge difference. 

Lots to do over the coming weeks now. Verti draining, seeding, fertiliser etc. Not done alot to it recently as so much else to get done first.

Grass is moving here quietly, got a few games coming up so just general bit of cut and light rolling for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rain has started to green the pitch up now at last, and a bit of growth as well which is good.

But. We are now under severe bird attacks after leather jacket grubs. This happens when there is too much thatch giving protection to the bugs from frosts and keeping them warm overwinter.

As soon as this weather has gone over and there are no more games (3left) I'll scarify the wings to stop this happening. 

 

 

Screenshot_20210520-194146_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-194153_Gallery.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pretty much the same over here Dave and I think Mark has same problem at St Day never had it before in 30 years made a right mess. However starting to make a recovery, so out with the machinery and try to clear it up. Every where has it this season some local golf clubs badly affected must be a change in the autumn climate I suppose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

pretty much the same over here Dave and I think Mark has same problem at St Day never had it before in 30 years made a right mess. However starting to make a recovery, so out with the machinery and try to clear it up. Every where has it this season some local golf clubs badly affected must be a change in the autumn climate I suppose

Must be buddy, I've never had it here before either. 

I make a bit of a noise when I see them and that scares them off for a few hours at least the little sods. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leather jackets are proving to be a major pest. Something that will only get worse. 

The larvae stage of the crane fly (daddy long legs) they eat grass roots, which in turn goes some way to explaining the slow growth that’s being seen.

The main control chemical was revoked around 3 years ago, given that an adult lays 400 eggs in the autumn and they hatch and in the spring, the population has been increasing ever since. The bird damage, while annoying, is at least getting rid of a few.

There is a new control available, but less effective and more expensive, as well as a biological control.

If the area, such as a golf green, has been tined. The grubs move in to the tine hole and nibble around the hole. Recovery is severely effected and holes stay open for months.

Golf courses are trialling, with some success, sheeting with silage sheets in the evenings. When removed the next morning, they are seeing 1000s and 1000s on the surface, which are then removed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Had same issue at Trungle this spring never had it before bleeddy crows everywhere I scarified the pitch heavily then had it vertidrained the put 60tonnes of sand on it brushed into the holes before they closed over seems to have worked  as the crows have moved on only seeing a couple a day up there now

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRJ said:

I Had same issue at Trungle this spring never had it before bleeddy crows everywhere I scarified the pitch heavily then had it vertidrained the put 60tonnes of sand on it brushed into the holes before they closed over seems to have worked  as the crows have moved on only seeing a couple a day up there now

 

Yup, you disturbed all the bugs they were feeding on. 

Removing thatch should always help in reducing the bug population. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had issues with lots and lots of crows and it made the pitch look awful, never got around to finding out the cause but probably Leather Jackets or such like. Since the rain returned and the warmer weather has come the grass has greened up and lots of growth. This seems to have resulted in no more crows and pitch looking good, not sure if its a coincidence or linked to the pitch not being dry?......but now to sort the rabbits again!!!!!

We have the contractors booked in for tomorrow (Tues 1st), off the back of being awarded a 6 year tapered grant from the FF which totals an input of £18,000 over the next six years (£13k from them and £5k from us). With the local quarry now not providing sports sand but looking after building merchants we have decided to try hollow coring to produced some material. We will use the cores to restore levels by drag matting them around. Contractors will be starting at 8:30am tomorrow to get both pitches done, over seeded and then vertidrained, before a little rain on Wednesday morning. I will update on how it goes tomorrow unless anyone wants to pop along to VP and take a look, you are more than welcome.

We have spent time lately bringing the height of cut down from 35/40 mm to 20-25 mm, lot s of cutting and gradual decline in height. Today we harrowed the pitches, in two directions to drag out any dead material and collected with a box mower. So pitches are looking good, tan is being topped up too (hahaha) and the pitches will hopefully improve further with the input tomorrow, lets wait and see.

Older pitch was looking good yesterday shame our U16 boys didn't play much football on it.

 

Best wishes to all

 

Mark 

Screenshot_20210531-225534_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-225505_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-225443_Gallery.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Doesn't look like it needs any fertiliser to me bud?

It’s looking quite hungry in places, just thought a fertilise will give it the perk up it needs.

If we ever get a drop of rain😂, seems to be all or nothing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

It’s looking quite hungry in places, just thought a fertilise will give it the perk up it needs.

If we ever get a drop of rain😂, seems to be all or nothing

Mines the same but I'm going to scarify it and leave the fertiliser until probably September.  I'll wait to see what the recovery is like from the scarifying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very strange question Older I know BUT !!!!   out of 6000 members you are one of the few who might have noticed . I spent a week in Cornwall in May , back home I've wandered around the Broads and marshes , this weekend I spent in Castle Combe near Bath ,  motorcycle racing . In all that time I haven't seen any swallows or House martins have you while you have been on the pitch disturbing flies etc . Normally by this time of the year  there are hundreds of them flying low across the marshes collecting flies etc .   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

not a strange question at all been on the pitch a lot recently both cutting, brushing and scarifying. Not one swallow they were late arriving last year and quite late leaving, maybe another indication that the seasons are moving everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

not a strange question at all been on the pitch a lot recently both cutting, brushing and scarifying. Not one swallow they were late arriving last year and quite late leaving, maybe another indication that the seasons are moving everywhere.

Got it in one, that 6 week Easterly was no good to anyone! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...