Cornwall Football Forum

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Understood. Stay safe Older, your Club (and forum) need you!

Wouldn’t it be better to just leave the premises locked until needed again to allow any virus to degrade naturally before sterilising so as not to put yourself at risk.

The vaccine is so close, it would be a shame to risk anything now!

We did that Bruegel, cleaned hard surfaces the day after and let the building air out for 5 days or more.

I went in this afternoon and sterilised it all again but this time I did all the soft furnishings as well with the fogger and Covid killer chemicals...ceilings, walls the lot.

Screenshot_20210101-142347_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-142352_Gallery.jpg

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is no doubt due to the rain in the last few seasons bringing the fines/silt to the surface. The net result being no air spaces in the top of the soil profile, without them grassland will retain w

Best thread I have read on here for years! Keep up the good work all you groundsmen out there. Some of us fans do appreciate you and I suppose you do enjoy the challenge of it if you are honest.

PLEASE NOTE: This forum does not necessarily support the opinions of its users. We categorically state that worms are our friends and should not be abused under any circumstances. It should also be no

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

We did that Bruegel, cleaned hard surfaces the day after and let the building air out for 5 days or more.

I went in this afternoon and sterilised it all again but this time I did all the soft furnishings as well with the fogger and Covid killer chemicals...ceilings, walls the lot.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Is it all worth it with hardly anyone using the premises?

Same as you Ieuan, got on the pitch after the boxing day game at last, had small frost which was gone by 11:00 leaving a nice heavy dew.

Heavy dew is ideal for rolling as it stops mud and worm casts from sticking to the roller and making a mess on the turns. I will always try to catch a good dew when rolling is in the offing.

The clean roller showing the wetness from the dew. It's an old gas canister I had made as it is 42" and a good fit for our 40" machine.

Remember when rolling after game damage and you have put the larger divots back to slow down to give the roller a chance to do its job, too fast and you won't get the best finish.

Also with a weighted roller only use the weight that will do the job...not over weighted. 

And. Always wait for the damaged grass to stand up before rolling, if you roll to early you press the tillers into the ground and you will lose grass and make mud...remember the old pitches and 2 ton rollers!!!!

Screenshot_20210102-142640_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-142638_Gallery.jpg

20210102_150527.jpg

Next up filling divots with a mix of soil, sand and rubber.

You cannot roll out a divot they have to be filled with this mixture to allow the grass to spread into them, just soil alone and it will just compact and stay bare earth for a long time and almost certainly will end up with weed in it.

Ok Mark, that's one advantage of being on the south coast our frosts and snow generally do not last long, inland in a valley your in for a bit of a longer wait than our coast pitches, the south coast will normally be ahead of the north coast when it comes to a thaw.

Also Ieuan your 3g will not frost that often as there's no moisture being given of to create a dew that would freeze, they can frost but not that often unless they've had a bit of rain before the temperature drops.

I dont think rubber is a great heat holder...think welly boots...bloody freezing things!!!

Started the divoting today after the ground thawed out, first real ground frost for a few years where the cold actually got into the ground.

Temperature showing just below zero at one inch in the soil, this is as opposed to the usual air/grass frosts we normally get.

The grass will have stopped growing at this temperature now.

Screenshot_20210105-135530_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-135541_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210105-135549_Gallery.jpg

Only another 5,000 or more to go after boxing day...lol

Won't be any work on the pitch again today, none yesterday as frozen solid until 3:00-ish and none for sure today with the temperature down at -5⁰ and a shiny white pitch.

Don't even walk on your ground in these conditions, everywhere you walk will crush the grass leaving a trail of damaged grass behind you.

Ah well I'll do something in the clubhouse instead. 

Screenshot_20210107-080340_Hik-Connect.jpg

Had a bit of time after the club so I thought I'd have a look at the mower which has not been starting that well.

Found it, the negative lead to the battery was loose, first thing always when you have trouble starting...check your battery leads are tight...started first time. 

Frost gone but ground rock hard frozen...keep off.

Screenshot_20210107-135747_Hik-Connect.jpg

Took this picture of the pitch today, a classic ground frost where the ground cools quicker than the air temperature. 

The ground loses heat quicker than the air so this type of frost can form in those circumstances. 

Screenshot_20210107-154149_Gallery.jpg

Another type is a white frost where the dew forms before temperatures drop and is identified by the frost showing as frozen dew, this normally does not get into the ground.

Still no work on the pitch today, ground temperature up to 1⁰ but the ground still thawing from yesterdays -5⁰...keep off again. 

Screenshot_20210108-210859_Gallery.jpg

Did a bit of a tidy up in the shed later and put the thermometer on a shelf out of the very cold breeze and got this reading...crazy for this time of the year...global warming for you.

Screenshot_20210108-210759_Gallery.jpg

But the ground temperature had only gone up by 1⁰ so still thawing out with a bit of sloppiness in the top ¾ inch, so at least the thaw is ongoing and will probably be another day before any work (divoting) can continue. 

Screenshot_20210108-210703_Gallery.jpg

Also spotted this on our neighbouring field, classic damage to the grass from walking on it when frosted.

The damage is due to the footprint breaking the frozen cell casing and dropping the osmotic pressure allowing the sap to leak out, eventually they will go brown and the tillers will die, but they will recover when it warms up.

Osmotic pressure is what keeps all leaves firm and in shape.

Lack of water also causes a drop in this pressure as indicated when plants/grass wilts.

Plant sap does not freeze as plants/grasses have a natural inbuilt antifreeze or else the entire plant would die.

Some plants will die from freezing due to a lower level of this natural antifreeze. Annuals being a case in point.

Screenshot_20210108-210813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-210804_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

not so bad this side Older 2 degrees but top 10mm still frozen

We were -5⁰ at the start of the week and it was a good 3 or 4 days to thaw and now we have it again!

On the South coast anything with a bit of Easterly in it hits us at about 45⁰ not quite in the face but cold enough to make a difference on the two coasts. 

We had one day here when I was slitting it was painful just to breathe on the mower....never had that before! 

And we had a helluva frost here today.

Screenshot_20210110-152401_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-152356_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

not so bad this side Older 2 degrees but top 10mm still frozen

Minus 2⁰ or plus 2⁰! 

We're a good 2" frozen and probably more than that with the slitting I did, at least it will fracture the lower ground to help when it warms up. 

Divoting out the window with this rain and wind...bugger! 

Rooks are having a good time though lifting all my replaced turf to see if there's anything to eat the little sod's...nature so let them get on with it. 

So did a bit more in my new shed, blagged a few pallets and knocked up a makeshift work bench...happy days with that.

Sorted a bit of my kit out so its easier to find...YAY!!!

Got an old physio bench going for a nominal sum if anyone is interested? 

And a heavy duty brush available as well, seriously heavy duty, takes debris out of the grass lovely and stripes at the same time. Fits any machine just tow it or knock up a quick frame to fit a 3 point linkage.

Perfect for topdressing because of the shape, weight and very stiff bristles. 

Screenshot_20210112-152248_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152324_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152220_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152201_Gallery.jpg

Ah, so the sods are turning the sods looking for breakfast are they?

All looking very tidy in the shed, I bet you’re a little treasure to your good lady wife!

Am surprised that you’re getting rid of the bench though, unless you’re upgrading to a bed for those days you just need a lie down with a wet flannel over your forehead, a football pitch can be a gruelling mistress!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Ah, so the sods are turning the sods looking for breakfast are they?

All looking very tidy in the shed, I bet you’re a little treasure to your good lady wife!

Am surprised that you’re getting rid of the bench though, unless you’re upgrading to a bed for those days you just need a lie down with a wet flannel over your forehead, a football pitch can be a gruelling mistress!

Haha...she wouldn't agree with that.

Lie down...what's that(?)

No rest when you do it all...lol.

Here's the follow up to the post on walking on frosted pitches 5 days ago.

Classic brown footprints as the tillers have now died, not permanent damage but aesthetically not pleasing. 

Screenshot_20210113-151652_Gallery.jpg

And the rooks keep on going, I think they've lifted every divot I had replaced from boxing day, in one corner of the pitch I counted 61 divots pulled out!

I know I'm an anorak...lol.  it looks like there's been a game on it!

Screenshot_20210113-151655_Gallery.jpg