Cornwall Football Forum

Bit the bullet today and brushed opposite to the pattern!

The grass had started to lay too much in the pattern and started to get too many long ends so needed to stand it up for a better cut and thin it out a bit.

Standing up nicely after putting the heavy brush over it.

If I had had a verticutter I would have used that, this is simply a mower that cuts vertically instead of horizontally. 

Screenshot_20200716-202912_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200716-202909_Gallery.jpg

After brushing and the pattern still showing,  tomorrow I will cut against the pattern as well and that will remove the majority of the long ends and stolons.

Screenshot_20200716-203142_Gallery.jpg

Spotted this today out walking my dog, an area that has not been cut for a few months and full of a weed called self heal.

A seriously tough weed to get rid of if you get it in your pitch.

A bit of white clover showing as well. 

20200716_203359.jpg

Also the dry spots are just starting to show again...sod it out with the watering machine again if no rain in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20200716-203558_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200529-224322_Gallery.jpg

Come on guys, five days - no posts! Surely there must be something even remotely interesting going on, or are you all busy setting booby traps for the players so they don’t mess up your pristine surfaces. 
Never mind, it will soon be time for a master class in “Divots and how to replace them!”

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Haha Bruegel, it is the mundane part of the season, not a lot happening,  just cut and catch up on other jobs other than on the pitch.

First friendly booked for 1st August! 

Then it gets busy, busy!

If it's played..lol.

I’m sorry Older, would you please delete the above post, it’s just not interesting enough. We do have standards here on the forum I’ll have you know! 
To all the ground staff, wishing you the best of luck for the new season. Not that there will be any problems this year with such a long preparation time, I’m sure that there will be no cancellations due to pitch conditions⛈️, just the inevitable periodic local lockdowns😷

Just now, Bruegel the Elder said:

I’m sorry Older, would you please delete the above post, it’s just not interesting enough. We do have standards here on the forum I’ll have you know! 
To all the ground staff, wishing you the best of luck for the new season. Not that there will be any problems this year with such a long preparation time, I’m sure that there will be no cancellations due to pitch conditions⛈️, just the inevitable periodic local lockdowns😷

And the rain!

Are you some kind of masochist Older, “happy days” indeed, when some bunch of ruffians are going to come along and wreck your lovingly prepared pitch, without caring about all the time and effort you’ve put in perfecting it (or will have to put in repairing it afterwards)!

44 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Are you some kind of masochist Older, “happy days” indeed, when some bunch of ruffians are going to come along and wreck your lovingly prepared pitch, without caring about all the time and effort you’ve put in perfecting it (or will have to put in repairing it afterwards)!

We've been training on it for 4 weeks...lol

Ryan and myself went up to do the first markings today.

Got this far and then the rain came in!

Anyway we got the two baselines in so at least we got that done.

Always put the byelines first as these are the basis for nearly all the measurements.  Stringline down first then marry up the measuring tape and adjust to position and mark in.

Screenshot_20200723-152926_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-223402_Gallery.jpg

Gave the dry patches a good soaking yesterday and today to take advantage of the rain forecast, caught it spot on.

Problem is the Rooks can now dig in for Chafer/leatherjacket grubs...little sods making  a right mess!! But being an animal man I'll just live with it...ggrrrr!!!

Never mind.

Screenshot_20200723-152918_Gallery.jpg

Been a busy week achieving very little. Pitch was growing at a ridiculous rate. So much the cylinder mower just couldnt cut it. Out with a rotary to get it cut. Followed by another rotary which basically hoovered the pitch up nicely. Even now its very thick. Not got the finish i want. Then the sun burnt one end of the pitch very quickly. Out with a sprinkler. Weve also gone from a pitch with the odd weed to weeds everywhere in the space of two weeks. Finally today we started painting the lines in. Made a good start and in came the rain. Wont moan about that but typical timing. All in all a busy week but not the finish i want. The areas around the ground have had a detailed strim around posts and walls. Looks nice and tidy. The bank is next and thats at least 5 hours work on its own. Onwards and upwards. 

Yes Paul the heat this week has certainly dried out the pitches! 

I have almost finished spot spraying, certainly a good time for weeds, I've used 5 litres of selective chemical this season so far, that's double my normal usage! 

My growth has slowed up with this heat more the pity, this rain will help and a vertidrain and fertiliser in about 6 weeks will put the growth back on no doubt. 

@TheolderIgetthebetterIwas Going ever so slightly off topic...

Can you give me a rough idea of the science behind these things and what they do exactly 

And

The rough cost for a club of they were having to get a contractor in to carry out the works (no machinery at the club etc)

• Aeration
  • Chain harrowing
  • Fertilising
  • Flail mowing
  • Vertical Decompaction

Going even more off topic but after looking for advice elsewhere and getting no response I've come to what seems a far more qualified area of the Internet. I had turf laid a couple of weeks ago and with constant watering I've ended up with this...without getting the paintbrush and a tub of green paint out is there anything I can do to save it or is my pocket money going to have to go on grass seed?

15962139022618727853326397067373.jpg

DW23

It really wasn’t a perfect time to turf,  much better to do it between  October and January. However, that wasn’t you question.

Assuming ground preparation was correct,  if really is a case of lots and lots of water. On the bright side, it doesn’t look to be dead or dying, and the joints are still together..

If you could get some feed on it , it may help. Possibly the easiest thing to get hold of is a seaweed based tomato fertiliser. Apply with a watering can, and water in well. 

If it gets any worse, and joints open up, brush some compost between them.

water, water,WATER

Post another pic when it greens up.

Good luck.

Sadly it was the housing association that opted not to turf the garden in the winter when the property was being built but to do it on the hottest day possible. It was a company that came to do it so I am assuming it was prepared correctly and I will continue the watering along with some feed this weekend. I'll put some pattern in just to keep up with the pros in the thread and so it isnt a total off topic hijack. Thanks for the advice though!

On 31/07/2020 at 11:56, Dave Bartlam said:

@TheolderIgetthebetterIwas Going ever so slightly off topic...

Can you give me a rough idea of the science behind these things and what they do exactly 

And

The rough cost for a club of they were having to get a contractor in to carry out the works (no machinery at the club etc)

• Aeration
  • Chain harrowing
  • Fertilising
  • Flail mowing
  • Vertical Decompaction

Aeration is to make space in the soil structure to maintain porosity, this keeps a balance between the air filled voids and the water holding voids. Both are needed for plant growth as the plant requires air and water to live, the action of maintenance and sport on grass reduces air spaces (porosity) and you get water logged ground and poor growth/weak growth. 

Therefore aeration is done by slitting, spiking, vertidraining and forking to open the ground up to fresh air entering the ground and stale air being replaced  (gaseous exchange) probably the second most important operation after regular cutting. 

More later Dave if I get time!!!

Chain harrowing. 

Old fashioned but still effective.

Chain harrowing is used to scarify the grass, stand grass up and crumbling and filling divots and lumps after a ground is "chopped" up after a wet old day.

Chain narrows depending on which type you have can be aggressive, passive and soft depending on which side you use and the direction you drag it in, not all have this option.

It is simply a series of linked chains some with spikes giving the three options or with none which have one option only.

Farmers used to use them after ploughing to create a finer finish on the surface.

Fertilising.

Basically a food for the grass or a food for the soil bacteria.

Grass will survive happily without it but if you want a lush green and thicker sward you would apply a fertiliser to enhance what the grass would normally do but a lot slower.

The 3 main ingredients of fertiliser are displayed as N.P.K. and are N for nitrogen, P for phosphate, and K for potash.

Nitrogen to colour the grass and assist the top growth, phosphate to enhance root growth with potash for general plant development ( my favourite)

A lot of other factors apply in fertiliser use but by far too much to put on here right now!

Those 3 will give you 99% of your grass/ground requirements. 

Now I'm going to watch a film ...lol, more Dave another day.

Flail mowing.

Not really used in pitch maintenance,  an aggressive form of cutting hedges, rough ground, brambles and so on. 

There are flail mowers used for grass cutting but not really a fine enough finish for sport pitches.

Avoid!

Vertical compaction.

Vertidraining,  the most efficient form of vertical decompaction, basically a large mechanical fork giving variable degrees of lift and depth. 

You will usually find up to 30% increase in growth and density a few days after vertidraining.

Increases porosity and gives the plant spaces to grow into and a lot of fresh air through gaseous exchange. 

Costs.

Aeration. 

Slitting, spiking...you probably won't find anyone to do it, if you could I would hazard a guess at the £100+ mark if the contractor was really local to you.

4 to 6 times a year as a minimum. 

Chain harrowing probably around the same cost and as required.

Fertilising.  Annually a full programme £450 ...£800 depending on what type of fertiliser you go for.

Vertical decompaction...£300/£400 and ideally twice a year.

You would also need an occasional light rolling to maintain a relatively level playing surface, and always the lightest roller required for the conditions at the time.

Again if the contractor is local around the £100 mark.

Pitch maintenance is expensive if you are not going to do the majority of it yourself,  and to do that you require a lot of free time!

On 31/07/2020 at 17:46, DW23 said:

Going even more off topic but after looking for advice elsewhere and getting no response I've come to what seems a far more qualified area of the Internet. I had turf laid a couple of weeks ago and with constant watering I've ended up with this...without getting the paintbrush and a tub of green paint out is there anything I can do to save it or is my pocket money going to have to go on grass seed?

15962139022618727853326397067373.jpg

Typical turf laying at the wrong time of the year and looks like very poor ground preparation to me...not unusual! 

The ground should have been soaked  before the turf was laid, it obviously was not.

When you water you do really have to soak it so the water gets through the  dried out turf and into the ground underneath. 

Water early morning and late evening and drown it...puddle it up if you can.

If the turf floats when doing this it almost certainly will have died and you will not be able to sow seed into it, it's a start again from scratch job I'm afraid...sorry.

If you do have to start again it would be best now to wait until September when the rains start again.

6 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Typical turf laying at the wrong time of the year and looks like very poor ground preparation to me...not unusual! 

The ground should have been soaked  before the turf was laid, it obviously was not.

When you water you do really have to soak it so the water gets through the  dried out turf and into the ground underneath. 

Water early morning and late evening and drown it...puddle it up if you can.

If the turf floats when doing this it almost certainly will have died and you will not be able to sow seed into it, it's a start again from scratch job I'm afraid...sorry.

If you do have to start again it would be best now to wait until September when the rains start again.

No need to apologise I just won't be recommending the company to anyone who is looking for lovely new turf. If they did soak the ground prior they didn't get the water from me but I wasn't home to watch them. I will give it up until the end of the summer holidays to see what it does and if it is a poor job ill pull it out and seed it instead or buy some astro and save the hassle.