Cornwall Football Forum

On 17/06/2020 at 23:04, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Looking good there buddy, do you mix your topsoil with  a bit of sand to stop it packing up too much in the rain (?)

Just a bit to stop it getting to compact. Could have done with more i think. Might have to add a top dressing and let it push into the soil perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Just a bit to stop it getting to compact. Could have done with more i think. Might have to add a top dressing and let it push into the soil perhaps. 

You'll have to be a bit careful if you try to topdress any young grass as it will not be strong enough to push through a heavy dressing especially if it rains on it.

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Here you go Mrgreen, remember that weed(?)

Here it is again and what it grew into.

Screenshot_20200619-153804_Gallery.jpg

You got it with one of your suggestions...a Ragwort...great shout.

Screenshot_20200619-153807_Gallery.jpg

Also started putting the box pattern in today

...looking better already. 

Screenshot_20200619-153913_Gallery.jpg

If you take enough guesses, one off them is bound to stick. Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.😉

warmer weather returns next week, growth is really gonna kick on. Good to see some players on the pitch. Although groundsmen every where moan about players, they are the sole reason for pitch/course/court preparation. Without them, it would just be a mown down field.

Yes totally agree a pitch is there to be played on, although I've always said during the season there's always one or two games that should never have been played which cause huge amounts of damage! With change in the weather patterns these days though that can go up to 5 or 6 games in a season now!

Certainly it is perfect weather for grass now and at least two cuts a week will be the norm, might even be three to thicken the sward and reduce heavy clippings which could encourage a bit of thatch...dont want that.

Will also brush regularly to remove morning dew and give a bit of lift to get fresh air circulating around the tillers and crown to reduce disease and let the grass breathe better. 

Grass loves being brushed and is as important as cutting it at this time of the year. 

Question.

Purely from a groundsman perspective,(try to ignore pitches being hard, and weather being too hot)  do you guys wish football was a summer sport.

Would it make your life easier, or would there be hidden problems. And if so, what

20 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

Question.

Purely from a groundsman perspective,(try to ignore pitches being hard, and weather being too hot)  do you guys wish football was a summer sport.

Would it make your life easier, or would there be hidden problems. And if so, what

Hello Mrgreen. For me football in the summer would be fine but only if you can irrigate as rye grass needs lots of water to flourish in the summer.

Water is not cheap and putting out 60+ cubic metres a day would soon run up a substantial bill!

We can run two travelling sprinklers on our pressure so imagine the bill then!!!

I would load up games at the start of the season to avoid floodlit matches after October when temperatures are dropping and there is no recovery for the grass in the winter. 

Also you could possibly have a small winter break if you already had a good few games under your belt.

Smaller leagues would also benefit pitches reducing the number of games during what looks like very wet winters being the norm. 

yes go along with all that Dave, have long advocated a mid winter break especially after the last two winters, mid December to mid January. At least in Cornwall the grass does start to recover from February onwards although very slowly. I know there will be all sorts of wringing of hands and cries of anguish from the purists; "we used to play with mud up to our knees". Done that, been there, don't want those days to return for any people I provide pitches for.Probably won't happen but we live in hope!

Finally got around to setting all 3 units with the setting bar and what a difference! 

Using the manufacturer's settings against the setting bar showed up a 4mm difference in the cylinders cutting heights...they were all different! But not now and have lovely finish to the cut now.

Screenshot_20200624-193513_Gallery.jpg

This is a setting bar showing 4 points of contact whe used for measuring,  it is the only way to set a cylinder height correctly. There are plenty of online videos showing how to use them.

Also adjusted the cylinder to bottom blade using the paper method, there are online videos showing this method as well. The 3 units are now all perfectly aligned and cutting lovely.

A setting bar.

Screenshot_20200624-230847_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200624-230850_Gallery.jpg

Remember if you set your height on a hard surface your cut will actually be a bit lower as the weight of the machine pushes the cutting blade (bottom blade) into the sward.

The temperature here this afternoon,  heres hoping the rain forecast for Friday actually happens or the ground is going to rapidly dry with this heat!

Screenshot_20200624-230833_Gallery.jpg

Also on the lookout for a verticutter to remove a few long ends that the cylinders cannot nip off. Remember that if your mower has floating heads then it cannot cut grass longer than the distance between the front roller and the bottom blade.

Fixed head units can as no front roller so can cut grass a lot longer than the floating head.

Did you hear that because of social distancing and the subsequent lack of available pitches for campers the government are planning to commandeer all the football pitches in the County for overflow holiday villages to save the economy, after all nobody’s going to be using them for footie this year 🚌️🏕🗣

32 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Did you hear that because of social distancing and the subsequent lack of available pitches for campers the government are planning to commandeer all the football pitches in the County for overflow holiday villages to save the economy, after all nobody’s going to be using them for footie this year 🚌️🏕🗣

I wouldn't want to be the person who tells me !!!!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

So they are going to put lots of people all in one place. Nothing like football then. Hope they pass on the profit to the clubs 

2 hours ago, Kernowfooty said:

So they are going to put lots of people all in one place. Nothing like football then. Hope they pass on the profit to the clubs 

Kernowfooty, Mine was what they call a “use of a urinary catheter” post. You can indeed go and look at pristine empty pitches for the foreseeable future!

Gave the pitch a good brushing today after a small couple of 6 a side practice matches last night, and wanted to stand the grass up for hopefully a nice cut tomorrow after ladies practice tonight. 

Grass is a bit on the thick side so may give it a light scarifying next week.

Screenshot_20200701-153826_Gallery.jpg

Grass looking a bit on thick spongy side for my liking.

Screenshot_20200701-153822_Gallery.jpg

But the brushing did a good job of standing the stolon's up for nipping off.

Screenshot_20200701-153815_Gallery.jpg

Sod it...red thread back already!  Only fertilised 4 weeks ago and its  washed through the profile with all the rain we've had. The fertiliser should have lasted around 8 weeks not 4 now I'll have to do it again IF there's enough rain around.

Red thread thrives in poor conditions with wet and warmth to support it,  although it won't kill the grass it will knock the leaves off and make the ground look quite poor!  I think I'm paying the price for keeping my Nitrogen levels low in favour of growing roots, I'll have to rethink my strategy methinks. 

You boys who use the slow release stuff...are you getting any Red thread???

Screenshot_20200705-153143_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200705-153140_Gallery.jpg

I see in the (top) picture that you are kind enough to provide ammunition for the football hooligans!
Is this hard core for a path or potential drainage ditch? I do know that some Peninsula League clubs are being refused ground grading for having loose gravel close to the pitch, which is seen by the “powers that be” as a risk of use as missiles.

The Slow release products will help in keeping red thread at bay. However, with such good growth at the moment, the grass plant can often “out grow” its self. If will grow faster than it’s able to process any available N. 

Unless it’s really bad, I’d be inclined not to panic just yet. When the sun comes out, it should dry the surface a little, and settle down.

Some sunnier weather, and a dry leaf, will also give a better, less sappy cut.

4 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

No sign of red thread yet Dave got a nice thick sward but some clover, a bit of a left over from when I sowed the pitch with 5% micro clover for several years. As Mr Green says sunshine might dry the sward out a bit and settle the plant down.

Yes Ieuan, spraying clover as well but slowly winning!

Yup a few dry days will help but the pitch is showing a lot of the stuff now, my fears have come true with the rain after fertilising  it was too heavy and has caused flushing in some areas and washed it away in others! That's where the red thread is....bugger.

Yes Mrgreen it's certainly growing... I'm cutting 3 times a week at this time!

Blagged this on a freebie today. A seriously heavy double rake with full pressure adjustments on both brushes.

Needs a lot of work to get it back to it's best and some new brushes but too good to turn down. 

Plus a few more tons of sand the fella gave us in the early part of the year. 

Screenshot_20200707-205332_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-205339_Gallery.jpg

First cut with the cylinder mower tonight on the goalmouths. Really starting to thicken up now. 🌱 Both goal mouths have grown that much with the rain, the warmth and heavy dew that it took 4 cuts to bring it back down. 😮 Just over 4 weeks to get it from nothing to full coverage. 

20200708_221411.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul said:

First cut with the cylinder mower tonight on the goalmouths. Really starting to thicken up now. 🌱 Both goal mouths have grown that much with the rain, the warmth and heavy dew that it took 4 cuts to bring it back down. 😮 Just over 4 weeks to get it from nothing to full coverage. 

20200708_221411.jpg

Lovely colour there buddy.

What cylinder you using? You going to pick that cut grass up or spread it?

Do you brush before you cut?

Looking good.

As it was getting dark i brushed it in and with the rain today that will wash the area in nicely. Didnt want to much left on to rot and clump together. We have a Jacobson Tri king 1900D. Leaves a lovely cut but ive left it go a touch to long so using a rotary mower to lower the grass again. 

I dont have a brush for the pitch at the moment. Something we do need at some point. I tend to let the grass stand up again before cutting. 

20200709_083341.jpg

looking good Paul never ceases to amaze me how the small change in the weather patterns down here can have such a dramatic effect on the turf. On another note Dave got some Red Thread on my mini pitch just noticed it this morning. That has slow release fertiliser on as well, see how it goes over the next few days of warmth.

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

looking good Paul never ceases to amaze me how the small change in the weather patterns down here can have such a dramatic effect on the turf. On another note Dave got some Red Thread on my mini pitch just noticed it this morning. That has slow release fertiliser on as well, see how it goes over the next few days of warmth.

To me that would mean the fertiliser has gone buddy.

How long was it down for(?)

‐----‐--------------------------

This is now for sale if anyone wants a serious brush.

Not needed now we have the Sisis flexicomb.

Screenshot_20200709-134828_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Just shows how beautiful a football pitch can look when there’s no players around to screw it up!

Spot on...easy times at the moment...lol

Brushed it early morning to get the dew off, then a couple of hours nipping it off in the middle of the day.

Just finished and the sun came out and it was glowing so nicked a picture off the new roof camera. Happy at this time!