Cornwall Football Forum

Had a bit of time after the club so I thought I'd have a look at the mower which has not been starting that well.

Found it, the negative lead to the battery was loose, first thing always when you have trouble starting...check your battery leads are tight...started first time. 

Frost gone but ground rock hard frozen...keep off.

Screenshot_20210107-135747_Hik-Connect.jpg

Took this picture of the pitch today, a classic ground frost where the ground cools quicker than the air temperature. 

The ground loses heat quicker than the air so this type of frost can form in those circumstances. 

Screenshot_20210107-154149_Gallery.jpg

Another type is a white frost where the dew forms before temperatures drop and is identified by the frost showing as frozen dew, this normally does not get into the ground.

Still no work on the pitch today, ground temperature up to 1⁰ but the ground still thawing from yesterdays -5⁰...keep off again. 

Screenshot_20210108-210859_Gallery.jpg

Did a bit of a tidy up in the shed later and put the thermometer on a shelf out of the very cold breeze and got this reading...crazy for this time of the year...global warming for you.

Screenshot_20210108-210759_Gallery.jpg

But the ground temperature had only gone up by 1⁰ so still thawing out with a bit of sloppiness in the top ¾ inch, so at least the thaw is ongoing and will probably be another day before any work (divoting) can continue. 

Screenshot_20210108-210703_Gallery.jpg

Also spotted this on our neighbouring field, classic damage to the grass from walking on it when frosted.

The damage is due to the footprint breaking the frozen cell casing and dropping the osmotic pressure allowing the sap to leak out, eventually they will go brown and the tillers will die, but they will recover when it warms up.

Osmotic pressure is what keeps all leaves firm and in shape.

Lack of water also causes a drop in this pressure as indicated when plants/grass wilts.

Plant sap does not freeze as plants/grasses have a natural inbuilt antifreeze or else the entire plant would die.

Some plants will die from freezing due to a lower level of this natural antifreeze. Annuals being a case in point.

Screenshot_20210108-210813_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-210804_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

not so bad this side Older 2 degrees but top 10mm still frozen

We were -5⁰ at the start of the week and it was a good 3 or 4 days to thaw and now we have it again!

On the South coast anything with a bit of Easterly in it hits us at about 45⁰ not quite in the face but cold enough to make a difference on the two coasts. 

We had one day here when I was slitting it was painful just to breathe on the mower....never had that before! 

And we had a helluva frost here today.

Screenshot_20210110-152401_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-152356_Gallery.jpg

not so bad this side Older 2 degrees but top 10mm still frozen

Minus 2⁰ or plus 2⁰! 

We're a good 2" frozen and probably more than that with the slitting I did, at least it will fracture the lower ground to help when it warms up. 

Divoting out the window with this rain and wind...bugger! 

Rooks are having a good time though lifting all my replaced turf to see if there's anything to eat the little sod's...nature so let them get on with it. 

So did a bit more in my new shed, blagged a few pallets and knocked up a makeshift work bench...happy days with that.

Sorted a bit of my kit out so its easier to find...YAY!!!

Got an old physio bench going for a nominal sum if anyone is interested? 

And a heavy duty brush available as well, seriously heavy duty, takes debris out of the grass lovely and stripes at the same time. Fits any machine just tow it or knock up a quick frame to fit a 3 point linkage.

Perfect for topdressing because of the shape, weight and very stiff bristles. 

Screenshot_20210112-152248_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152324_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152220_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210112-152201_Gallery.jpg

Ah, so the sods are turning the sods looking for breakfast are they?

All looking very tidy in the shed, I bet you’re a little treasure to your good lady wife!

Am surprised that you’re getting rid of the bench though, unless you’re upgrading to a bed for those days you just need a lie down with a wet flannel over your forehead, a football pitch can be a gruelling mistress!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Ah, so the sods are turning the sods looking for breakfast are they?

All looking very tidy in the shed, I bet you’re a little treasure to your good lady wife!

Am surprised that you’re getting rid of the bench though, unless you’re upgrading to a bed for those days you just need a lie down with a wet flannel over your forehead, a football pitch can be a gruelling mistress!

Haha...she wouldn't agree with that.

Lie down...what's that(?)

No rest when you do it all...lol.

Here's the follow up to the post on walking on frosted pitches 5 days ago.

Classic brown footprints as the tillers have now died, not permanent damage but aesthetically not pleasing. 

Screenshot_20210113-151652_Gallery.jpg

And the rooks keep on going, I think they've lifted every divot I had replaced from boxing day, in one corner of the pitch I counted 61 divots pulled out!

I know I'm an anorak...lol.  it looks like there's been a game on it!

Screenshot_20210113-151655_Gallery.jpg

On 20/01/2021 at 14:26, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Haha...just messing around with other jobs, pitch well flooded today, puddles everywhere! 

And the weather continues to disrupt all of my plans, from minus 4⁰ to +8⁰ and rain, rain, rain.

Don't think much would have been played if we were able too!

Screenshot_20210125-080409_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-152205_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210124-170830_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210124-170848_Gallery.jpg

Not cut the pitch for about 6 weeks now!! With it being either under water, frozen or just saturated the grass hasnt grown must at all. It needs a cut but today the pitch was soaking again. Covid or not, we would not have seen much football the past 6 weeks, if any. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Not cut the pitch for about 6 weeks now!! With it being either under water, frozen or just saturated the grass hasnt grown must at all. It needs a cut but today the pitch was soaking again. Covid or not, we would not have seen much football the past 6 weeks, if any. 

Absolutely Paul, same here, I've still not hardly touched the divoting from boxing day yet!

6 more days of rain forecast so nothing happens again, still I've been catching up on the hundreds of other jobs that have built up over the years.

Ground temperature has picked up well since the frosts and a slight movement in the grass at this time, as long as it stays around 10⁰ the grass will slowly grow when the ground dries out a bit.

Proof of that is some of the divots have started to put down a few anchor roots (seminal) no  feeding tubes on them so no active tillering or real top growth yet. 

Screenshot_20210124-141830_Gallery.jpg

north coast been a bit luckier. chain harrowed, spiked and overmarked this week! Yesterday managed to get the 3G brushed just about dry enough first time since new year, and to top it all off had me a covid jab as well! Keep safe guys

Not evened walked on the pitch here, way, way too wet.

One dry day all week, and 24 hours of rain and still going!

Never seen it as wet as this!

Screenshot_20210130-170035_Hik-Connect.jpg

55 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

That doesn’t  look good Older, not quite a flood of biblical (or St. Blazey) proportions but not far away. Your water table must be almost above ground level. 
Just as well that there’s no pressure to get a game on🏖🤾🏻‍♂️💦

The river of water is now flowing straight over the new enlarged drain which is obviously now full up...and straight onto the pitch.

Gonna stay home and lay a carpet! 

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

A year ago today and we were due to host a Cornwall youth fixture. It feels like we have better weather every other year. Not looked in on the pitch today but i bet its saturated. So much rain here today. 

20210131_195641.jpg

Have you managed to get on the pitch at all(?)

I've been on once since boxing day...ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

That's worse than here!

Where does all the water go when you flood(?)

Once the water table drops it simply disappears. Being that the ground was the estuary many many years ago, the ground is very much sand based. Its almost like waiting for the tide to go out. Ive known the pitch covered in water one Saturday and perfectly playable the next. 

No break in the weather for anyone in Cornwall Today. Picture looking across towards our bottom pitch. Main pitch shows no water but I'm was thankful of a pair of wellies!!😁

Thank God we don't need to be panicking about getting games on.

Been on the pitches a couple of times since boxing day.

Screenshot_20210131-135016_Hik-Connect.jpg

On 30/01/2021 at 15:19, Ieuan Gregory said:

north coast been a bit luckier. chain harrowed, spiked and overmarked this week! Yesterday managed to get the 3G brushed just about dry enough first time since new year, and to top it all off had me a covid jab as well! Keep safe guys

And us at St Day being bang in the middle we were bang in the middle with our weather too. Pitches dried out a little but no time with work to get machinery on.

Said it loads of times, players still don't get it that one pitch is playable and another can be waterlogged. However today was easy to understand for players, all waterlogged!!😂