Cornwall Football Forum

Yes Paul the heat this week has certainly dried out the pitches! 

I have almost finished spot spraying, certainly a good time for weeds, I've used 5 litres of selective chemical this season so far, that's double my normal usage! 

My growth has slowed up with this heat more the pity, this rain will help and a vertidrain and fertiliser in about 6 weeks will put the growth back on no doubt. 

@TheolderIgetthebetterIwas Going ever so slightly off topic...

Can you give me a rough idea of the science behind these things and what they do exactly 

And

The rough cost for a club of they were having to get a contractor in to carry out the works (no machinery at the club etc)

• Aeration
  • Chain harrowing
  • Fertilising
  • Flail mowing
  • Vertical Decompaction

Going even more off topic but after looking for advice elsewhere and getting no response I've come to what seems a far more qualified area of the Internet. I had turf laid a couple of weeks ago and with constant watering I've ended up with this...without getting the paintbrush and a tub of green paint out is there anything I can do to save it or is my pocket money going to have to go on grass seed?

15962139022618727853326397067373.jpg

DW23

It really wasn’t a perfect time to turf,  much better to do it between  October and January. However, that wasn’t you question.

Assuming ground preparation was correct,  if really is a case of lots and lots of water. On the bright side, it doesn’t look to be dead or dying, and the joints are still together..

If you could get some feed on it , it may help. Possibly the easiest thing to get hold of is a seaweed based tomato fertiliser. Apply with a watering can, and water in well. 

If it gets any worse, and joints open up, brush some compost between them.

water, water,WATER

Post another pic when it greens up.

Good luck.

Sadly it was the housing association that opted not to turf the garden in the winter when the property was being built but to do it on the hottest day possible. It was a company that came to do it so I am assuming it was prepared correctly and I will continue the watering along with some feed this weekend. I'll put some pattern in just to keep up with the pros in the thread and so it isnt a total off topic hijack. Thanks for the advice though!

On 31/07/2020 at 11:56, Dave Bartlam said:

@TheolderIgetthebetterIwas Going ever so slightly off topic...

Can you give me a rough idea of the science behind these things and what they do exactly 

And

The rough cost for a club of they were having to get a contractor in to carry out the works (no machinery at the club etc)

• Aeration
  • Chain harrowing
  • Fertilising
  • Flail mowing
  • Vertical Decompaction

Aeration is to make space in the soil structure to maintain porosity, this keeps a balance between the air filled voids and the water holding voids. Both are needed for plant growth as the plant requires air and water to live, the action of maintenance and sport on grass reduces air spaces (porosity) and you get water logged ground and poor growth/weak growth. 

Therefore aeration is done by slitting, spiking, vertidraining and forking to open the ground up to fresh air entering the ground and stale air being replaced  (gaseous exchange) probably the second most important operation after regular cutting. 

More later Dave if I get time!!!

Chain harrowing. 

Old fashioned but still effective.

Chain harrowing is used to scarify the grass, stand grass up and crumbling and filling divots and lumps after a ground is "chopped" up after a wet old day.

Chain narrows depending on which type you have can be aggressive, passive and soft depending on which side you use and the direction you drag it in, not all have this option.

It is simply a series of linked chains some with spikes giving the three options or with none which have one option only.

Farmers used to use them after ploughing to create a finer finish on the surface.

Fertilising.

Basically a food for the grass or a food for the soil bacteria.

Grass will survive happily without it but if you want a lush green and thicker sward you would apply a fertiliser to enhance what the grass would normally do but a lot slower.

The 3 main ingredients of fertiliser are displayed as N.P.K. and are N for nitrogen, P for phosphate, and K for potash.

Nitrogen to colour the grass and assist the top growth, phosphate to enhance root growth with potash for general plant development ( my favourite)

A lot of other factors apply in fertiliser use but by far too much to put on here right now!

Those 3 will give you 99% of your grass/ground requirements. 

Now I'm going to watch a film ...lol, more Dave another day.

Flail mowing.

Not really used in pitch maintenance,  an aggressive form of cutting hedges, rough ground, brambles and so on. 

There are flail mowers used for grass cutting but not really a fine enough finish for sport pitches.

Avoid!

Vertical compaction.

Vertidraining,  the most efficient form of vertical decompaction, basically a large mechanical fork giving variable degrees of lift and depth. 

You will usually find up to 30% increase in growth and density a few days after vertidraining.

Increases porosity and gives the plant spaces to grow into and a lot of fresh air through gaseous exchange. 

Costs.

Aeration. 

Slitting, spiking...you probably won't find anyone to do it, if you could I would hazard a guess at the £100+ mark if the contractor was really local to you.

4 to 6 times a year as a minimum. 

Chain harrowing probably around the same cost and as required.

Fertilising.  Annually a full programme £450 ...£800 depending on what type of fertiliser you go for.

Vertical decompaction...£300/£400 and ideally twice a year.

You would also need an occasional light rolling to maintain a relatively level playing surface, and always the lightest roller required for the conditions at the time.

Again if the contractor is local around the £100 mark.

Pitch maintenance is expensive if you are not going to do the majority of it yourself,  and to do that you require a lot of free time!

On 31/07/2020 at 17:46, DW23 said:

Going even more off topic but after looking for advice elsewhere and getting no response I've come to what seems a far more qualified area of the Internet. I had turf laid a couple of weeks ago and with constant watering I've ended up with this...without getting the paintbrush and a tub of green paint out is there anything I can do to save it or is my pocket money going to have to go on grass seed?

15962139022618727853326397067373.jpg

Typical turf laying at the wrong time of the year and looks like very poor ground preparation to me...not unusual! 

The ground should have been soaked  before the turf was laid, it obviously was not.

When you water you do really have to soak it so the water gets through the  dried out turf and into the ground underneath. 

Water early morning and late evening and drown it...puddle it up if you can.

If the turf floats when doing this it almost certainly will have died and you will not be able to sow seed into it, it's a start again from scratch job I'm afraid...sorry.

If you do have to start again it would be best now to wait until September when the rains start again.

6 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Typical turf laying at the wrong time of the year and looks like very poor ground preparation to me...not unusual! 

The ground should have been soaked  before the turf was laid, it obviously was not.

When you water you do really have to soak it so the water gets through the  dried out turf and into the ground underneath. 

Water early morning and late evening and drown it...puddle it up if you can.

If the turf floats when doing this it almost certainly will have died and you will not be able to sow seed into it, it's a start again from scratch job I'm afraid...sorry.

If you do have to start again it would be best now to wait until September when the rains start again.

No need to apologise I just won't be recommending the company to anyone who is looking for lovely new turf. If they did soak the ground prior they didn't get the water from me but I wasn't home to watch them. I will give it up until the end of the summer holidays to see what it does and if it is a poor job ill pull it out and seed it instead or buy some astro and save the hassle. 

This arrived yesterday, a scarifier come verticutter. 

Will be using this as a verticutter to trim stolons and thin the grass out, it will take the sponginess out of the sward and will speed the ball up.

Very happy to get one of these at last but now to find a machine to drive it as it is a powered drive.

Screenshot_20200805-113405_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-113402_Gallery.jpg

First chance to try my new 7ft brush out today, brushed against the pattern to stand it up for cutting later this week. 

My god it is heavy! because its cantilevered it was lifting the back of the ride on up on the turns, will have to have a new redesigned tow hitch made to offset the cantilever...sod it!

Then the rain came -  so happy to see that with the pitch rapidly drying out again. I did flood a few areas on Sunday so caught the weather nicely.

Screenshot_20200805-133500_Gallery.jpg

Went on the pitch early doors and brushed the opposite way to the pattern again today...down came the rain but I finished the job with the forecast saying drying up later.

6.15 pm went up and cut the pitch...blimey what a difference the brush made to the cut, took a mountain of grass off leaving a bowling green finish - too good for football really!

Really took the grass down turning the pitch a bit yellow cutting that low but give it a fortnight and should get a load of new tillers from lower down...free new grass.

Cut the cross pattern in tomorrow and mark in for Saturday. 

Screenshot_20200806-211311_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200806-211056_Gallery.jpg

Pitch turned to yellow with the lower cut!

Screenshot_20200806-211200_Gallery.jpg

I say a lower cut but not really, mower height still 1¼" but standing it up gave lower cut and nipped a lot of stolon's off that were lying down before. 

The pitch looks amazing @TheolderIgetthebetterIwas. The only problem I had with the pitch when I played at Penryn was that I could never blame the pitch on my poor touch because it was always like a bowling green. I hope the players appreciate how lucky they are to have someone as dedicated as you caring for the pitch. Keep up the good work 👍

2 hours ago, Chris Davey said:

The pitch looks amazing @TheolderIgetthebetterIwas. The only problem I had with the pitch when I played at Penryn was that I could never blame the pitch on my poor touch because it was always like a bowling green. I hope the players appreciate how lucky they are to have someone as dedicated as you caring for the pitch. Keep up the good work 👍

You were not that bad Chris 🙄

Thanks for the kind words buddy.

Just a point to make regarding brushing the grass.

Remember that regular brushing stands the grass up allowing air to circulate and dry the sward out.

This is done not only to enhance the cut but is a good way to reduce the effects of red thread.

Red thread, dollar spot and all the other fungal infections rely on moisture in the sward to establish themselves and with this heat  and morning dews fungal attacks will be commonplace. 

You can also strengthen your pattern with a good brush when there is no need for a cut...its a lot quicker as well. 

Out with the brush again today against the pattern to stand the grass up for cutting tomorrow and to pull out the damaged grass from yesterdays double header v Mousehole. 

After Tuesday's game against St Austell it will be out with the collector mower to pick up all the damaged grass from the 3 games.

Then get the pitch ready for Saturday's game against Sticker...no rest now with friendlies coming thick and fast.

Pitch is seriously drying out everywhere now with this heat with no chance of rescuing all of it...but that's life at this level. 

Screenshot_20200809-152446_Gallery.jpg

The grass standing up and the loose damaged grass from the games.

Screenshot_20200809-152459_Gallery.jpg

Spotted this last week on our neighbours cricket square. 

Pretty sure this is Dollar spot. 

Morning dew not being brushed off, too much thatch, late application of high nitrogen fertiliser, high temperatures all contribute to this serious fungal disease, normally associated with finer grasses luckily.

If not dealt with it will kill an entire lawn down to its roots.

Conditions this year are perfect for this disease.

Screenshot_20200809-150028_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200809-150022_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rain we all needed at last. 

Screenshot_20200820-152611_Gallery.jpg

Turned this dried out grass.

Screenshot_20200820-152620_Gallery.jpg

In to this in 36 hours!

Screenshot_20200820-152616_Gallery.jpg

Still getting problems with dogs (bitches) peeing on the pitch!

Maybe foxes as we're getting a bit of fox poo regularly as well now...sod's.

Will have to douse these areas with water to dilute the nitrogen in the urine then scratch it up a bit and put a bit of seed in.

Normally a bit of pee in the wetter part of the year will only give a bit of a flush of grass but in this hot dry weather it will kill the grass almost instantly! 

Screenshot_20200820-152605_Gallery.jpg

Spotted this today, a bit of recovery in the multiple pee spots... can't beat a BIT! of rain.

Might try a bit of grass seed in them to see if that helps.

More rain like this and I may put a bit of 3.12.13 down. Firs time ever I would have fertilised in August! 

High on the potash and phosphate to give a bit of general growth. 

3 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Spotted this today, a bit of recovery in the multiple pee spots... can't beat a BIT! of rain.

Might try a bit of grass seed in them to see if that helps.

More rain like this and I may put a bit of 3.12.13 down. Firs time ever I would have fertilised in August! 

High on the potash and phosphate to give a bit of general growth. 

Screenshot_20200825-141358_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, John Mead said:

Rain's just stopped; blue sky at Pz!

70 year old drains still removing gallons per minute from the pitch. No idea where the water goes though! Will try to upload a probably poor video.

Go on John you can do it!

On 27/08/2020 at 10:34, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Absolute stair rods here!!!

Played Tuesday night and had a few divots...unbelievable, never had divots in August before!!!

End of the world is nigh.

On 29/08/2020 at 11:19, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Another first for August, after the first ever divot in this weeks friendly ...the first ever wormcast in August! 

Well Older, do I see the first green shoots of a climate change eco-warrior emerging? I could see you as an extinction rebellion activist. You could get a green army to close down Penryn (as if anyone would notice!).

Well went up to the pitch this morning and it had turned silver! Heavy, heavy dew with the warm ground and low night temperatures.  The dew had to go as planned to cut it later today.

Screenshot_20200831-221334_Gallery.jpg

Out with the brush.

Screenshot_20200831-103303_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-103307_Gallery.jpg

Went up 3 hours later and decided to use the rotary on a lower setting to pick up the debris from the previous friendlies. 

Also to lower the sward to reduce the length of the stolons which are tillering near the surface and need to break lower down to reduce the spring in the sward.

Screenshot_20200831-135246_Gallery.jpg

The result is a few brown patches where the long stolons have been nipped off, but this hopefully will make the tillers break lower.

20200831_134123.jpg

Also checked the ground temperature after all the rain and low night temperatures, still at a reasonable 13⁰ so the grass will still happily grow at that.

May consider popping a bit of 3 12 12 fertiliser on if this dew persists as I can brush the dew off to take the chemical burn off the prills, a bit of rain on it then and the results will be pretty quick.

Don't want a huge amount of nitrogen at this time as it will only detract from general and root growth which the pitch needs at this time of year.

Will also book in the vertidrain soon to assist deeper rooting.

Screenshot_20200831-103245_Gallery.jpg

Not grounds related but interesting I think.

We have just bought a sanitizing mist machine for the clubhouse, toilets and changing rooms. 

We can now use our changing rooms again as to completely sanitize them takes circa 90 seconds!

The machine pumps out a natural chemical which kills bacteria and viruses, it sanitized everything from the ceiling, walls, soft and hard surfaces including the air in the room with no need to wipe any residue off.

Screenshot_20200904-104351_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-104210_Gallery.jpg

You can just see the fine mist around the light, and no need for PPE as it's a natural occurring chemical. 

Screenshot_20200904-104151_Gallery.jpg

8 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sounds useful! 

Very expensive?

Very useful Dave, and completely mobile.

With the chemical just on the £600 mark including VAT.

We just liked the quickness and mobility of it, perfect for a quick turn around in the changing rooms. 

Cornish company based in Falmouth, happy to do demo's, Clean, or Clear mist I think they're called. 

We used the £500 Covid preparation fund to buy it.

8 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Sounds useful in all sorts of settings, can you tell us the supplier or would that break some Forum advertising ban?

Definitely a product (not) to be misted! 

I did post it at the bottom of the post Bruegal! ...not awake  yet (?)

They're called Clean mist or clear mist based in Falmouth buddy.

Personally I love the simplicity, and the speed and mobility of it.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I did post it at the bottom of the post Bruegal! ...not awake  yet (?)

They're called Clean mist or clear mist based in Falmouth buddy.

Personally I love the simplicity, and the speed and mobility of it.

My apologies Older, you’re quite right, I haven’t been awake since 1999! Lots of love, Rip Van Bruegel

Bit the bullet today and brushed against the pattern and dropped the mower to cut against the pattern as well. 

Fed up with these overly long stolons getting kicked up every game and leaving the pitch looking a right mess.

Not the best way to shorten them, a verticutter/scarifier would be better but still not got my new mower with a PTO  yet.

Cutting the stolons shorter hopefully will encourage them to tiller nearer the crown and that will give a much needed fresh sward, badly needed as this pitch was sown well over 30 years ago using fescues,  bents and a bit of rye in those days, today it would be all rye grass.

The rake set to passive for brushing. 

Screenshot_20200906-214124_Gallery.jpg

The pitch after a game with 000,s of stolons lifted.

Screenshot_20200905-130403_Gallery.jpg

An overly long stolon.

Screenshot_20200906-214102_Gallery.jpg

The finished article, brushed and cut against pattern and took off around ½ a ton of grass!

Screenshot_20200906-214048_Gallery.jpg

Fertiliser and then vertidrain in the next couple of weeks to generate a new-ish sward.

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I see what you meant about the opportunity to relay it. Smart idea to paint the bits you want to cut off white Older, you can see what you’re doing then ‘specially if you’ve got dodgy eyesight like what I have!

I'd have to paint the whole pitch white then Breugel, there are billions of them, the whole pitch is stolons from cutting in pattern too much over the years.

And, not overseeding with Rye grasses for many, many years, the stolons are all lying in pattern because of it.