Cornwall Football Forum

43 minutes ago, baldy said:

Hopefully they should all look fab with no one on them, but I have my doubts.

Pitches having a rest will certainly help. However they don’t look good by chance. A fair bit of skill, and considerable time and dedication is required, not to mention financial investment.

Those pitches without these things, and just left to their own devices, will be in a very similar condition to when they were abandoned.

9 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

Pitches having a rest will certainly help. However they don’t look good by chance. A fair bit of skill, and considerable time and dedication is required, not to mention financial investment.

Those pitches without these things, and just left to their own devices, will be in a very similar condition to when they were abandoned.

That’s sort of what I meant.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Anyone any idea how to add a photo? It always says the photo is to large. 

Hello buddy.

If you're posting from a laptop just cut and paste your pictures.

If from a phone, screenshot it, go to your picture files and select the screenshot file, click the picture you want and it will load to the forum. 

Spent a bit more time today back lapping the cylinders, starting to look better now, but still more adjustments to be made, setting bar next to check the manufacturer's height settings.

Screenshot_20200527-154810_Gallery.jpg

Also a bit of a pattern developing. 

Screenshot_20200527-154750_Gallery.jpg

Serious problems developing with this heat though with a lot of dry spots showing, will have get the watering machine out to try and save some of these areas but the heat is now a serious problem! Desperate for rain...C'MON! Don't think I will be able to get enough water down to save a lot of these areas, but grass is very resilient and will go dormant in these situations, when it rains they come back to life as long as the period is not too long.

And looking at the number of dry patches I'm pretty sure this is a compaction problem rather than dry patch itself.

Screenshot_20200527-154830_Gallery.jpg

16 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I have looked around the area to try and identify the weed Mrgreen but there are no Charnock, Ragwort or Figworts on site or nearby, I have found a bumper crop of Figwort a couple of hundred yards away and it must have come from there I'm thinking...never had this weed before though...strange one for me!

Just a thought, that I had today. Bit of a long shot to be honest.. Could it have come in, in the mole hills you processed.

I’m still edging towards, young, stunted, charlock.

That's good water pumping out now...might even get the second machine out to speed things up a bit.

Always remember that a hosepipe left out in the sun can develop Legionnaires disease in the dormant water, when turning on for the first time stand well away from the end of the hose until the old water has been pushed out.

It's a rare occurrence but it has happened! 

Screenshot_20200529-091524_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Fertiliser going down and vertidraining being carried out today. Seeding in the next few days. Hoping by leaving the grass a bit longer we wont have it burnt to much. So far so good. 

Fertiliser...really!!! Better pray for rain unless it's a slow or controlled release one(?) You're going to dry your pitch out now...watering machines at the ready!

A bit more adjustment and Ryan cut the whole field today with a bit of pattern to boot.

Dont think I would keep this pattern as a little bit to busy for me...juries out on this as well. 

Screenshot_20200529-141951_Gallery.jpg

17 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No Mrgreen have not used the earth from the mole hills yet.

Try this. The weed in question. 

Screenshot_20200527-154805_Gallery.jpg

A young Figwort 

Screenshot_20200528-143254_Gallery.jpg

A young Charlock

Screenshot_20200528-143251_Gallery.jpg

Found this lot 2 fields over, spot on southwest from us!

Screenshot_20200528-143258_Gallery.jpg

Started watering today, gave the dry patches a good soaking before setting out the watering machine.

Screenshot_20200528-143325_Gallery.jpg

Oh, bugger. That blows that theory out of the water. Doesn’t really look much like either one, does it?

The big clump of yellow weeds in photo, is what I know as charlock. I think some may know it as mustard seed or rape.

Dry patch....bit of a subject, try and stay with me guys, and stay awake!!

True dry patch is when the soil particles become coated with a waxy substance. This makes the soil, what is known as hydrophobic and is virtually impossible to re wet. A surfactant ( surface activant) also known as wetting agents help by breaking down surface tension (makes water, wetter) 

Fairy liquid is a surfactant, it cuts through the greasy (waxy) coating on the plate to clean it. It will also strip the wax off your car. Soil surfactants work in a similar way. 

The standard industry test for dry patch is, called a droplet test. Take a core sample. Lay it on its side and apply a few drops of water at various points if water sits or beads on surface it’s probably dry patch. Check against an area that isn’t showing symptoms. If water soaks in within a few seconds, then it isn’t dry patch. It’s just DRY. If water beads, drop a little fairy liquid in water it will soak in, just to prove the point.

DO NOT USE FAIRY LIQUID ON YOUR PITCH. I’m not sure if it’s suitable.

Dry patch tends to return in the same spots every year, whether treated or not. As older rightly suggests a soil with good microbiology is less prone to dry patch. I think, probably because the soil microbes munch on the waxy deposits.

Soil surfactants are a whole subject on their own. For another day if your a sucker for punishment?

Just come of the pitch after checking the ground temperature 26⁰  yes 26⁰ bonkers.

Ryan fitted a new throttle cable to the 180 and now running spot on, still want to fiddle with the height and cutting a bit more yet but overall pretty good.

Ran a spot check on the watering machine and calculated on its present setting it's putting out 56 cubic metres a day over 24 hrs, not bad but the whole pitch is starting to dry up now, so problems ahead to keep the whole pitch going! 

Desperate for rain now.

I think this weekend, was when turfgrass went from a little dry. Into temporary wilting point. Mainly down to the heat I think. Still recoverable. Permanent wilting point is more serious. As the name suggests, no way back from this. Fortunately grass rarely suffers. Most soil types will hold just enough moisture to sustain plant turgidity, in established plants. Newer seedlings are a lot more vulnerable. 

It looks as though some relief may be on the way midweek,  just in time I would suggest.

Yes Mrgreen last week and the last couple of days have taken their toll on tha available moisture in the soil, as posted I measured the soil temperature at 26⁰ yesterday! 

The grass is in places suffering temporary wilt in the daytime, you can spot this by walking on the grass, if at wilting stage you will leave an obvious footprint,  the grass does not readily spring back up....you need to water...quickly.

When you start to get shadows that is permanent wilt showing, the grass blade is shrinking and dying.

This will need instant watering the grass is dying.

Screenshot_20200528-143235_Gallery.jpg

Also noticed today the Ryegrass is rapidly pushing seed now, long stalks supported by 3 leaves is your Rye grasses. I'll leave these for a couple of days and then nip them off with the rotary, dont want them seeding or they will go dormant very quickly...no growth! Lack of moisture will also put your Ryegrass into dormancy so water if you can, particularly any new seed you have sown.

Screenshot_20200601-234828_Gallery.jpg

One for you Mrgreen,  spotted this behind the ball stop netting today!

Screenshot_20200601-235001_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul said:

This weekend of hot sunny weather has burnt the pitch badly. Were going to need to get water on the pitch asap. Usual spots every summer that always burn first. The grass bank down one side of the pitch is completely brown. 

20200602_223939.jpg

Looks a bit like our pitch burning up with this heat, today was ridiculous, 26⁰ in my summer house which is in the shade!!

Those patches are the same as ours and probably a bit of deep down compaction.

The same places for me every year as well, I'm planning to use the air dagger in these areas this year and give the areas a bit of a sanding and a good dose of chicken pellets to encourage deeper rooting...should work hopefully. 

Decent bit of rain forecast for tomorrow, I'll keep the watering going to get a bit more depth to the water in the profile. 

You can see the burn in ours from the last picture we took.

Screenshot_20200602-141509_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200601-235101_Gallery.jpg

40 minutes ago, Paul said:

The heavy rain has arrived this morning. Music to my ears. Hopefully a good soaking today will help the pitch green up a bit. 

Only a bit of a shower here so far but the cloud is coming down from your way so fingers crossed it rains all week!

Fickle buggers us grounds people...lol

Nope...no rain as yet!

Put down some chicken manure pellets on the bottom goalmouth today, just want to see how effective it is, very low Nitrogen content 2% that's all, be interesting on the result. 

Did spray them with a bit of water to soften them up a bit quicker and will do that again tomorrow to speed their break up into the ground.

Both goalmouths are predominantly sand and rubber so not a lot for the grass or bacteria to work with so this should help. 

The arrow showing a Ryegrass stalk and seed, will brush the surface tomorrow to stand them all up for nipping off with the rotary. 

Screenshot_20200603-135305_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-135302_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200603-135428_Gallery.jpg

Early start tomorrow. The pitch is being over seeded and both goal mouths being well seeded. Then out with the hose pipes. Sprinkler system out at the weekend and then water the pitch well. Weve had a shower of rain in the last hour. Enough to leave it wet for the evening. Would be nice to keep the grass a bit greener going into the summer. The burnt areas are gona need some tlc now. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I was tempted to turf the area but last season it took ages to blend in and when it did it turned to mud!! ☹ This year i dont think we will be rushing so im giving seed ago. Im hoping its not to late. 

You'll have to keep it watered but dont drown it especially early on, hopefully you worked a bit of sand in as well to give the roots chance(?)

Not ideal seeding in a heatwave, but anything is possible. Be prepared to water for a fair few hours a day. For, not only a few days, but for few months. Water the ground well, before seeding, then try to avoid watering until seed is established. Try to water with fine droplets, rather than big heavy flooding droplets. Roll area when seedings are around an inch high, while surface is dry. This will re afirm the surface, and encourage a second tillering. Making a thicker sward. 

Good luck.

Luckily weve had some damp weather all day and the occasional shower. Since the seed was put in the ground today weve had a light drizzell for hours so the pitch has had a slow soaking which is better than a soaking and then drying out again. Going to need plenty of water but that can be sorted. Just hoping we get the results we hope for. Thanks for the advice. Any help appreciated. Hopefully the heat wave is behind us for the time being. 

20200604_204634.jpg

2 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

Not ideal seeding in a heatwave, but anything is possible. Be prepared to water for a fair few hours a day. For, not only a few days, but for few months. Water the ground well, before seeding, then try to avoid watering until seed is established. Try to water with fine droplets, rather than big heavy flooding droplets. Roll area when seedings are around an inch high, while surface is dry. This will re afirm the surface, and encourage a second tillering. Making a thicker sward. 

Good luck.

Spot on Mrgreen.

The common mistake is flooding newly seeded areas and then wondering why the grass comes up patchy, because the water pooled the grass into the low points.

Should also say at this time if you are laying turf you should soak the ground the day before laying it, this will encourage the turf to send down roots in search of the moisture. Later on when having to water the new turf you will find that the turf will  not "float" away as is the most common scenario, also better to soak the turf in the morning and again in the evening then leave it alone to let the roots chase the water down into the ground.

Keep the turf mean but not to the point of wilt as the joints will separate and you will have to top dress them again to close them.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................

At last we're getting a touch of rain here just gone 10.00pm that will go into the ground well after all the water we have been putting down.

Went up to the pitch to finish the cutting from yesterday and got rained off!!!

So put the watering machine on to help the bit of rain we had...enough not to be able to cut the grass to a decent finish anyway. 

Doing a bit of machine maintenance in the shed and saw this...what were they eating(?) 

Have a guess...I'll tell ya'll later...made me laugh anyway...lol

Picture on zoom so not the best.

Screenshot_20200605-135750_Gallery.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mrgreen said:

My guesses, two if I may?

Either leatherjackets (daddy long legs larvae) or they are tapping their feet on turf to bring worms to surface to eat. 

Chicken manure?

Did anyone else apply for the pitch renovation grant from the FA? I had confirmation of £1500 today! Should cover Sandow's invoice.

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Went up to the pitch to finish the cutting from yesterday and got rained off!!!

So put the watering machine on to help the bit of rain we had...enough not to be able to cut the grass to a decent finish anyway. 

Doing a bit of machine maintenance in the shed and saw this...what were they eating(?) 

Have a guess...I'll tell ya'll later...made me laugh anyway...lol

Picture on zoom so not the best.

Screenshot_20200605-135750_Gallery.jpg

Stale W C Rowe pasties??

41 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Chicken manure?

Did anyone else apply for the pitch renovation grant from the FA? I had confirmation of £1500 today! Should cover Sandow's invoice.

Top of the class John...they were eating the chicken manure pellets in that area...little buggers cleared the lot!

Yes as well, we've had confirmation of the maintenance grant too.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Top of the class John...they were eating the chicken manure pellets in that area...little buggers cleared the lot!

Yes as well, we've had confirmation of the maintenance grant too.

Older well done on your maintenance grant, is it now 70% from FF?? Your never going to buy a big compact tractor??😁

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

yes we had confirmation yesterday £2500 to deep clean the 3G and get the beast tested for FA accreditation. Take all of that and a bit more still every little helps. Not a drop of rain this side of the peninsular anyone got a rain dance ?

Leuan we got a couple of brief showers this evening, not much but every little helps.

We got our grant as well. Putting this towards a big levelling project we are currently undertaking at VP.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Decent bit of rain here tonight, coupled with the watering machine a good drop of the wet stuff at last...YAY! One more day watering the wing again and I'll put it away for a while methinks. 

No Mark, don't want no compact tractor, only one pitch to look after so not needed imo...happy with what I have. I dont even like heavy players on the pitch...lol.

Something like 70% I think Mark, I didn't do the application...I just spend it!!!

11 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

yes we had confirmation yesterday £2500 to deep clean the 3G and get the beast tested for FA accreditation. Take all of that and a bit more still every little helps. Not a drop of rain this side of the peninsular anyone got a rain dance ?

North coast v South coast divide again Ieuan...happens all the time, we had some nice rain here last night, enough for  a few decent sized puddles to appear. Now I would like this wind to die down a bit, bit of a drying blow going on here at the moment temperature down to 11⁰ from 26⁰ a week ago!

Just started to spit with rain here now again.