Wadebridge Town Res       1-0            Saltash Borough 

WEST

Helston Athletic Reserves      1-4             Penryn Athletic

Perranwell                          2-5             Illogan RBL

Redruth United                  1-2         Mullion

St Agnes                             1-3          St Ives Town

Wendron United Res         5-2          St Day

KERNOW STONE LEAGUE CUP

Mousehole Reserves          2-4            Morwenstow  (3.00pm)

Redruth United 1 mullion 2.

First half we played really well creating chances but could not find the net. Until 3 minutes to half time with a well taken shot from outside the box by Louis Matthews. Second half we sat back and allowed mullion back into the game and they scored two goals and we lost. Todays result was very difficult to take because we did deserve to take something from the game.30 watching and the pitch looking good despite the weather lately.

HELSTON  (1).   1        Yates 33”

PENRYN (2)       4.        Reeve 27” 58”  Rapsey 4”  Pellow 51”

ATT: 66

REF: Marc Rose    9/10 very good 👏🏼

MOM: Ryan Reeve (Penryn)

Having not seen Penryn play since mid December through one thing or another I made the 88 mile round trip from Fowey to Helston and it was well worth the trip with a great performance. Hosts Helston beat 2nd placed St.lves 3-1 last week and must have been confident of another win this time against the league leaders but it was the visitors who came flying out the traps from the kick off and forced an early 3rd minute corner which Harry Roberts whipped in, flicked on by the head of Bradley Leivers and volleyed just wide from Jake Shaw. They didn’t have to wait long to take the lead when a minute later Jack Rapsey, back in the starting line up after being two footed in the Boxing Day derby at Falmouth made a dream return spotting Helstons experienced keeper Bryan Scoffin off his line to produce an exquisite lob from 30 yards under the bar and into the far corner. Strike partner Ryan Reeve was using his pace to run riot down the right hand side and was unlucky on 17 minutes to shoot across goal and just wide of the far post. A Leivers mistimed tackle after a strong run from the home full back right in front of the main stand saw him yellow carded by Rosey Jnr following on with the whistle from dad Steve who was excellent as well in my day. A superb cross from the top left flank by Lewis Pellow saw Reeve leap highest to power a picture header into the bottom corner past Scoffy at full stretch on 27 minutes. This prompted a good response from Helstons youngsters and they forced a few corners before pulling a goal back on 33 minutes when an in swinging cross from the top side right of the pitch caused all sorts of trouble in the visitors defence and Jake Yates found himself free at the far post to tap in from 3 yards to follow on from his two goals against the Saints last week. A Josh Sims cross from the right was cleverly back headed over Scoffy from Leivers but the home linesman who was spot on all afternoon to be fair saw Brad go a touch early and raised his flag and the sides went in a goal apart at the break. Penryn got off to a great start in the 2nd half and Reeve raced away down the right before squaring to Pellow who swept the ball just under the bar from 6 yards. Helston were not out of it though and had a few efforts on the Penryn goal with the best of them a great strike from Jenkin? being brilliantly tipped around the post at full stretch from visiting keeper Dan Lord after 56 minutes. Two minutes later a fine flowing move from Penryn saw Reggie May race at the home defence and as they backed off, two defenders followed Rapsey’s run and one went with Reeve and May made the right decision to slip in Reeve who rifled the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards to complete his brace. Penryn were now back in control after a bright spell from the Blues and Rapsey’s last act of his match after 70 minutes on his return saw his clever back heel set up Sims whose low shot was excellently saved low down by Scoffy who also grabbed the loose ball before anyone could react. The home side never gave up and produced a few attacks but Nick Boase and skipper Russell May just soaked it all up at the back and the match saw no further real clear cut chances to see Penryn pick up a valuable 3 points from a tough game. Rosey had a great game with the whistle letting the game flow and dished out 3 yellows I think which were all correct. Great to see my old mates Scoffy and Bash quickly and a quick chat with Mass and brother Stu, proper football blokes along with former chairman Barry Dunston who seems ageless! Don’t look much different to 30 years ago!! Pitch was understandably a bit bobbly and heavy but the ground and surroundings at Kellaway Park are a picture these days and the mrs was well impressed with the female toilets with the Helston badge on the walls!! 👍👏🏼

25 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

HELSTON  (1).   1        Yates 33”

PENRYN (2)       4.        Reeve 27” 58”  Rapsey 4”  Pellow 51”

ATT: 66

REF: Marc Rose    9/10 very good 👏🏼

MOM: Ryan Reeve (Penryn)

Having not seen Penryn play since mid December through one thing or another I made the 88 mile round trip from Fowey to Helston and it was well worth the trip with a great performance. Hosts Helston beat 2nd placed St.lves 3-1 last week and must have been confident of another win this time against the league leaders but it was the visitors who came flying out the traps from the kick off and forced an early 3rd minute corner which Harry Roberts whipped in, flicked on by the head of Bradley Leivers and volleyed just wide from Jake Shaw. They didn’t have to wait long to take the lead when a minute later Jack Rapsey, back in the starting line up after being two footed in the Boxing Day derby at Falmouth made a dream return spotting Helstons experienced keeper Bryan Scoffin off his line to produce an exquisite lob from 30 yards under the bar and into the far corner. Strike partner Ryan Reeve was using his pace to run riot down the right hand side and was unlucky on 17 minutes to shoot across goal and just wide of the far post. A Leivers mistimed tackle after a strong run from the home full back right in front of the main stand saw him yellow carded by Rosey Jnr following on with the whistle from dad Steve who was excellent as well in my day. A superb cross from the top left flank by Lewis Pellow saw Reeve leap highest to power a picture header into the bottom corner past Scoffy at full stretch on 27 minutes. This prompted a good response from Helstons youngsters and they forced a few corners before pulling a goal back on 33 minutes when an in swinging cross from the top side right of the pitch caused all sorts of trouble in the visitors defence and Jake Yates found himself free at the far post to tap in from 3 yards to follow on from his two goals against the Saints last week. A Josh Sims cross from the right was cleverly back headed over Scoffy from Leivers but the home linesman who was spot on all afternoon to be fair saw Brad go a touch early and raised his flag and the sides went in a goal apart at the break. Penryn got off to a great start in the 2nd half and Reeve raced away down the right before squaring to Pellow who swept the ball just under the bar from 6 yards. Helston were not out of it though and had a few efforts on the Penryn goal with the best of them a great strike from Jenkin? being brilliantly tipped around the post at full stretch from visiting keeper Dan Lord after 56 minutes. Two minutes later a fine flowing move from Penryn saw Reggie May race at the home defence and as they backed off, two defenders followed Rapsey’s run and one went with Reeve and May made the right decision to slip in Reeve who rifled the ball into the roof of the net from 10 yards to complete his brace. Penryn were now back in control after a bright spell from the Blues and Rapsey’s last act of his match after 70 minutes on his return saw his clever back heel set up Sims whose low shot was excellently saved low down by Scoffy who also grabbed the loose ball before anyone could react. The home side never gave up and produced a few attacks but Nick Boase and skipper Russell May just soaked it all up at the back and the match saw no further real clear cut chances to see Penryn pick up a valuable 3 points from a tough game. Rosey had a great game with the whistle letting the game flow and dished out 3 yellows I think which were all correct. Great to see my old mates Scoffy and Bash quickly and a quick chat with Mass and brother Stu, proper football blokes along with former chairman Barry Dunston who seems ageless! Don’t look much different to 30 years ago!! Pitch was understandably a bit bobbly and heavy but the ground and surroundings at Kellaway Park are a picture these days and the mrs was well impressed with the female toilets with the Helston badge on the walls!! 👍👏🏼

Can you press the enter/return button every now and then Rappo so your reports are easier to read??  

cheers!

8 hours ago, RAPPO said:

No one else has complained to be fair! Blame the Richard Lander education! Great school for football and rugby but got kicked out of English quite a bit, can only apologise. Bet if it was a report about Liverpool beating Utd you could read it ok!? 🤔😂

It was meant to be said in jest to make it easier to read. 

SAME IF YOU WRITE IN CAPITALS, IT BECOMES REALLY HARD TO READ DUE TO LETTERS ALL BEING THE SAME SIZE

You would t need to write anything that long on Liverpool besting Utd!!!

After yesterdays results Penryn have one hand on the league trophy. Secound place will be fought out between Perranporth, St Day and St Ives. Illogan could make a push to. Hayle have slipped down the league lately as have Falmouth reserves, consistency for these two is costing them both points and places. 

As much as I rate Penryn I think it’s far from over to be honest centrehalf, they’ve still got St.Ives, St.Day and Perranporth away and Hayle, Illogan and Falmouth at home. None of those games are a given unless you play well and a couple of other tricky games to go thrown in. I know Popey will be taking it one game at a time, we’ve had a few injuries lately as well so he’s done a great job rotating the full squad with some help from Jarvos reserves. After an 11 game winning start there was an inevitable blip every team gets during a season (except Liverpool it seems) but looked back on track yesterday. Tough league though with a long way to go yet. 👍

Good point about the remaining games Rappo, tough run in to the end of the season. The teams mentioned are capable of beating Penryn. I have watched a lot of St Piran west football this season and have been impressed with the way teams are trying to play football rather than just lump it. The "better" sides have players capable of playing in the swpl or have had experience of playing in it in their sides. Some decent players in this league. 

11 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

As much as I rate Penryn I think it’s far from over to be honest centrehalf, they’ve still got St.Ives, St.Day and Perranporth away and Hayle, Illogan and Falmouth at home. None of those games are a given unless you play well and a couple of other tricky games to go thrown in. I know Popey will be taking it one game at a time, we’ve had a few injuries lately as well so he’s done a great job rotating the full squad with some help from Jarvos reserves. After an 11 game winning start there was an inevitable blip every team gets during a season (except Liverpool it seems) but looked back on track yesterday. Tough league though with a long way to go yet. 👍

Completely agree, Rappo. And Mr Pope has done well in recent weeks with rotation, whether that’s due to players missing or different faces for different games - whichever it is it shows the depth they have and he seems to be keeping the players happy. The recent signing of Josh Sims a great coup, should add a lot. And the young lad bought in from Aggie over Christmas seems to have been a good addition too, think he’s called Andrew, nice left foot. Penryn building a competitive squad of 15-17 players, rare at this standard.

Long way to go yet but Penryn will be happy atm! 

13 hours ago, RAPPO said:

No one else has complained to be fair! Blame the Richard Lander education! Great school for football and rugby but got kicked out of English quite a bit, can only apologise. Bet if it was a report about Liverpool beating Utd you could read it ok!? 🤔😂

Was it the school's fault you got kicked out of English or could someone else have been responsible?👨‍🎓:SM_carton:

1 hour ago, InBrendanWeTrust said:

Completely agree, Rappo. And Mr Pope has done well in recent weeks with rotation, whether that’s due to players missing or different faces for different games - whichever it is it shows the depth they have and he seems to be keeping the players happy. The recent signing of Josh Sims a great coup, should add a lot. And the young lad bought in from Aggie over Christmas seems to have been a good addition too, think he’s called Andrew, nice left foot. Penryn building a competitive squad of 15-17 players, rare at this standard.

I'll only be happy when the bleddy rain stops!

To be fair Tom my English teacher was a lovely lady and somehow I did quite well in my CSE exams back then although history and geography was the only subjects that held my interest until the PE lessons came around! Just wanted to play football or rugby then athletics and tennis in the summer with some cricket thrown in to get out of lessons! Wasn’t a nasty child but did like a laugh when my attention span waned! Just the usual stuff, chucking rubbers at the teachers hand while she’s writing on the blackboard and farting on those plastic chairs, could go off like rockets! Pulling the chair out just as someone was sitting down always a classic unless they cried! Used to feel terrible then cos I absolutely hate bullies. I used to be a defender of the weak at school if I’m honest, having a lot of older mates in higher years the bullies were soon sorted with a bit of Malabar persuasion if you know what I mean! Sorry Tom, bet you’re glad I wasn’t one of your students mate! 🤔😂👍

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Bit of a surprise defeat for St Day, losing 5-2 at Wendron!

Yeah shocked at that Deacs! Although not totally, having watched Penryn win 3-1 at Wendron earlier in the season. They played some cracking football and hit the woodwork 3 times and were really unlucky in that match so they are capable of beating the top teams mate.

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

To be fair Tom my English teacher was a lovely lady and somehow I did quite well in my CSE exams back then although history and geography was the only subjects that held my interest until the PE lessons came around! Just wanted to play football or rugby then athletics and tennis in the summer with some cricket thrown in to get out of lessons! Wasn’t a nasty child but did like a laugh when my attention span waned! Just the usual stuff, chucking rubbers at the teachers hand while she’s writing on the blackboard and farting on those plastic chairs, could go off like rockets! Pulling the chair out just as someone was sitting down always a classic unless they cried! Used to feel terrible then cos I absolutely hate bullies. I used to be a defender of the weak at school if I’m honest, having a lot of older mates in higher years the bullies were soon sorted with a bit of Malabar persuasion if you know what I mean! Sorry Tom, bet you’re glad I wasn’t one of your students mate! 🤔😂👍

Good job you never had my teachers, you'd have been sorted the first time you misbehaved!

On 25/01/2020 at 20:04, RAPPO said:

Pitch was understandably a bit bobbly and heavy but the ground and surroundings at Kellaway Park are a picture these days and the mrs was well impressed with the female toilets with the Helston badge on the walls!! 👍👏🏼

Apologise I missed your visit to Kellaway Park Rappo - went to Hayle to cheer on Cornwall U18's v Devon.

Will pass on your feedback to our lino, Michael Hodges, there isn't many a fairer club official.

As for the toilets, delighted to hear the Mrs was impressed. Both Gents & Ladies refurbished just over a year ago with respective funds raised by the club members. 

Hopefully get to catch up before the end of the season

Cheers for now. 

Hi Paul, yeah catch you later in the season no doubt mate 👍  congrats on all the work to the ground, looking fantastic! Stuck my head in the clubhouse half time while the mrs was getting the tea and chips, done a brilliant job! She said the toilets were cleaner than some of the 5 star hotels we’ve stayed at!! Yeah was standing behind Michael nearly all 1st half and half the 2nd and he was spot on 👍👏🏼 All the best mate and well done 👏🏼👌

On 26/01/2020 at 11:02, InBrendanWeTrust said:

He's called Andrew "Shandy" Davey. Superb player, versatile as a swiss army knife but plays his best football at left back for me. Will push Bradley Leivers all the way for the starting berth.