Cornwall Football Forum

Ludgvan withdraw from the League

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

It has a knock on effect. Carharrack folding from Combination will see only one come down to Trelawny. Threemilestone and Holmans want to go up so we are one short there. St Keverne folded earlier this season so only one team will go down from Premiership Division... So there's a shortage in Prem... The championship teams then have to fill that void, some being pushed into Premiership from 4th/5th and playing above their current standard... That then means that teams in division one have to fill that gap and that then means division two teams then push up.

At the moment, I only know of two-three teams who have voiced an interest in joining the Trelawny League next season - Carharrack, Dropship FC (potentially two teams as two separate club - Dropship and Madron). St Keverne have joined the Flexi League which they will enjoy (hopefully) which may mean they also decide to put a team in. So, it's not all doom and gloom so long as these new teams don't pillage and plunder from existing teams 

The combo went with 15 teams instead of 16 this season... I'm guessing be 15 next season to ?

What about the idea being muted about no new teams Dave. I know you are involved in two potential teams and the others mentioned are established clubs regrouping. There does seem to be movement towards that way of thinking. I personally have no opinion either way. Just want organised football for future generations.

This whole club falling things a biggie , and youth football is involved as well a people that run the men’s clubs guess there’s no right or wrong but my take is for sure there’s too many clubs , in my area alone you have .( and I’m sure penzance area is the same )In order of seniority.

falmouth town 1-2-3 

Wendron athletic 1-2-3-4

penryn athletics 1-2 

perranwell 1-2 

mawnan Smith 1-2 

constantine 1-2 

falmouth dc 

falmouth United 

thats 17 teams in a 3 mile radius,

never gonna work !!! Falmouth United and Falmouth dc have nothing no ground /land no clubhouses, don’t even know if they have changing rooms , why were these clubs formed , because these kids /players weren’t wanted needed and some senior clubs and these owners too set in there ways to see the need for youth . 
so Parents( who know nothing about football )   then set up new rent a clubs for these kids to play . It’s a vicious circle too many clubs not enough players . So youth/parent coaches AND senior clubs are all ruining Cornish football . Falmouth United/ Falmouth community two youth clubs in Falmouth who’ve no affiliation with a club !!! stupid !!!where do these kids go at 16 . 

yep work patterns are changing yep more youngsters go to university than years gone by . But untill all senior clubs start to run 1 club as in using facilities , grass clubhouses for 6 year olds through to  1st teams , and take control of this themselves Cornish football will get even worse . 

jumpers for goalposts etc is old 

but not necessarily wrong back in the day under 13s u14s etc wanted to win and if you weren’t any good you wouldn’t get in the team now kids can sit infront of there x box for 2 weeks solid and play at the weekend cause it’s this play for all ,crap giving no concept of life . You get out what you but in !!!!!

coaching helps but too much coaching mothers .

all I know is out of the clubs mentioned above the only one thriving is Wendron with 4 teams every week and a youth section , so guessing they are trying to do it right , quality may be lacking ( in the youth ) but that’s because stupid rent a clubs are on the doorstep have have first refusal on all the kids locally but are not teaching them the right way . 

so harsh as it sounds I wish all these kids and rent a clubs would off and men’s clubs(Seniors) that have been around and established for years  start to take a more pro active role and look to youth As ultimately they will be the ones stopping these clubs folding .

But unfortunately yep Cornish football is in a bad way both in terms of standard and interest . 

you senior guys running senior clubs take the bull by the horns and sort it out and fold all these pop up clubs . 

over and out .ps UTT 

6Times not long ago there were 7 sides playing at Clijah Croft now there are 4. And Four Lanes have only reformed their reserves this season. The same can be said for Camborne you only have Holmans x2 and Storm. Then you have St.Day x3 Illogan x3, Troonx2. New Inn Titans x2. 17 teams in Camborne and Redruth. All in about 4 miles

25 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

6Times not long ago there were 7 sides playing at Clijah Croft now there are 4. And Four Lanes have only reformed their reserves this season. The same can be said for Camborne you only have Holmans x2 and Storm. Then you have St.Day x3 Illogan x3, Troonx2. New Inn Titans x2. 17 teams in Camborne and Redruth. All in about 4 miles

Don't forget West Cornwall, Lanner, Stithians X2 and even Praze and Mariners not that far away. 

On 26/01/2020 at 13:46, Dave Bartlam said:

Who knows what will happen 😕

if I had my way... They'd request merger talks and gain some stability under our leadership. I don't think that will happen though.

Is the “under our leadership” comment just a touch arrogant? I feel that it could put backs up within the Combination League set up. There are some able and experienced administrators there who would need to be involved in any merger.

6 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

What about the idea being muted about no new teams Dave. I know you are involved in two potential teams and the others mentioned are established clubs regrouping. There does seem to be movement towards that way of thinking. I personally have no opinion either way. Just want organised football for future generations.

We can't stop new teams joining mate, that decision rests with out member clubs. I would hope that my team (at least one of them) would be successful in application - you only have to look at our registered players list (over 60 players) to see that about 80% are not involved in Saturday Football so there won't be any poaching from other clubs.

Just whilst I have a moment - I was told last night that Threemilestone are no longer seeking promotion to the Combination League so my earlier post was inaccurate in that respect.

19 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Is the “under our leadership” comment just a touch arrogant? I feel that it could put backs up within the Combination League set up. There are some able and experienced administrators there who would need to be involved in any merger.

I wouldn't put it down to arrogance at all - I'd put it down to the fact that there couldn't be two committees or a committee and sub-committee - it wouldn't work. The club's would have to vote for their Officers and Committee Members and as the majority of Clubs would be original members of the Trelawny League, I could not imagine many of the Trelawny Officers losing their seats - with that said, I would happily move aside if the Club's were to nominate another person to my position - I would subsequently offer any support that I could.

I would also go as far to say that apart from the odd blip here and there, the Trelawny League is a very well run league and doesn't take anywhere near as much stick on this forum as our counterparts in the Combo - just read some of the recent posts.

I for one certainly wouldn't direct any bad words towards the Combination League or their Committee - I know the majority of them personally and have respect for them.

I've made my personal opinion clear on the matter based on what I think is best for THE CLUBS at our level. As I always state, that is not the view and/or opinion of the Trelawny League and it's Officers and Committee. Regardless of what the league is called, who's on it... The Club's must come first and football must prevail.

5 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Been reminded of Chacewater and Perranwell x2. If all had a full squad of 16 that’s 416 players within 6 miles of Redruth. And you also have to take into account Dropside and Carharrack wanting to join next season.

http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/DisplayTeam4.do?divisionseason=58901779&id=606746635&seasonTeamID=449407579

These are the players currently registered to Dropships Flexi team - a team that has been running for three seasons (we have a second team that started this season at Hayle Flexi League and also a Sunday side) - if you look through our players list, I doubt you would recognise many of the names on that list. Many of which haven't played football before or have done so very rarely.

Too many clubs too many leagueS whole thing gets dilluted, the Cornish fa need to take control , does anyone not agree that there was nothing wrong with the Jewson and jolly’s leagues tbf the old combination 80s/90s league was probably a better standard than today Cornwall premier. 

all I know is we can all mention say 20 clubs within around 5 miles of where anyone liveS ,that’s gotta be wrong , 20 supermarkets , 20 pubs , 20 any sort of clubs cannot exist and most would go out of business why should football clubs be any different. 

my take is have 2 “ senior leagues” whole of the county , 4 “ junior leagues “ split across the county . Bin all other Saturday leagues , forcing the start a new / rent a pitch clubs to fold or play Sunday mornings at 9 am .( who would chose that over a Saturday afternoon)

Also ref youth football again someone needs to put a stop to KIDS CLUBS , tie all into Towns football clubs , this would need  certain clubs to get with the times and also youth coaches need to teach life lessons about get what you put in ,and then if fly by kids fall away earlier so be it but I’d expect all kids with love of the game should then progress to the TOWNS club they have grown up playing for .

in theory there needs to be a massive overhaul and guess everyone involved in football from the ccfa, people running leagues ,people running clubs , people running youth football , youth football coaches and perhaps players themselves are all to blame for the demise in Cornwall 

big big job to properly sort this out . Where to start is the question ? Ccfa and the big senior clubs/towns . Newquay, Falmouth , st austell, penzance weighbrige Bodmin pothleven and possibly even TRURO if they are bothered. Need to get together and find a solution. Cause all this getting by can’t go on !!! 

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Don’t forget Frogpool with 2 teams!!! About 5 miles from Redruth and Falmouth!! Great club 👍

Maybe but they are probably making the situation struggle worse 

On 25/01/2020 at 09:36, kevin richards said:

It may well be very high Dave, however, youngsters these days have the retention spans of goldfish & if someone says something they don’t like or get upset by, they then go somewhere else or say they don’t want to play with a load of ruffians. 
The youth football set up is all well & good but it just means someone else is doing all the running around for them. Young kids wearing club tracksuits, when did I miss that. !! 
Everything is put on a plate for them & then when they are asked to help run a club, they are not interested. Get these kids to respect the club they are playing for, make them stay with that club  until they old enough to play men’s football & then stick with that club through thick & thin. The only problem being, their parents are just as fickle & would also walk, taking little Jonny with them, slagging off the club & the people running it as they drive out the gate.

Does anyone reading this think that these kids will be playing for the club they are at now in 15/20 years time. ?

No, me neither.

Therein lies the problem. ......

Cannot  disagree with any of that however there’s more problems than them surely 

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

http://fulltime-league.thefa.com/DisplayTeam4.do?divisionseason=58901779&id=606746635&seasonTeamID=449407579

These are the players currently registered to Dropships Flexi team - a team that has been running for three seasons (we have a second team that started this season at Hayle Flexi League and also a Sunday side) - if you look through our players list, I doubt you would recognise many of the names on that list. Many of which haven't played football before or have done so very rarely.

Whilst you might be right in what you are saying about your set-up, these are the same words echoed every time a new team applies. I get your self-interest but that doesn't solve the bigger problem. All the above facts about the number of teams in a catchment area is a clear indication of the problem. Many a club have had 60-plus players sign on but still cannot raise a side regularly. Whilst it is down to the member clubs to accept and refuse applications, I have been to enough AGM's to know they can be heavily influenced by the officers. 

10 hours ago, 6times said:

This whole club falling things a biggie , and youth football is involved as well a people that run the men’s clubs guess there’s no right or wrong but my take is for sure there’s too many clubs , in my area alone you have .( and I’m sure penzance area is the same )In order of seniority.

falmouth town 1-2-3 

Wendron athletic 1-2-3-4

penryn athletics 1-2 

perranwell 1-2 

mawnan Smith 1-2 

constantine 1-2 

falmouth dc 

falmouth United 

thats 17 teams in a 3 mile radius,

never gonna work !!! Falmouth United and Falmouth dc have nothing no ground /land no clubhouses, don’t even know if they have changing rooms , why were these clubs formed , because these kids /players weren’t wanted needed and some senior clubs and these owners too set in there ways to see the need for youth . 
so Parents( who know nothing about football )   then set up new rent a clubs for these kids to play . It’s a vicious circle too many clubs not enough players . So youth/parent coaches AND senior clubs are all ruining Cornish football . Falmouth United/ Falmouth community two youth clubs in Falmouth who’ve no affiliation with a club !!! stupid !!!where do these kids go at 16 . 

yep work patterns are changing yep more youngsters go to university than years gone by . But untill all senior clubs start to run 1 club as in using facilities , grass clubhouses for 6 year olds through to  1st teams , and take control of this themselves Cornish football will get even worse . 

jumpers for goalposts etc is old 

but not necessarily wrong back in the day under 13s u14s etc wanted to win and if you weren’t any good you wouldn’t get in the team now kids can sit infront of there x box for 2 weeks solid and play at the weekend cause it’s this play for all ,crap giving no concept of life . You get out what you but in !!!!!

coaching helps but too much coaching mothers .

all I know is out of the clubs mentioned above the only one thriving is Wendron with 4 teams every week and a youth section , so guessing they are trying to do it right , quality may be lacking ( in the youth ) but that’s because stupid rent a clubs are on the doorstep have have first refusal on all the kids locally but are not teaching them the right way . 

so harsh as it sounds I wish all these kids and rent a clubs would off and men’s clubs(Seniors) that have been around and established for years  start to take a more pro active role and look to youth As ultimately they will be the ones stopping these clubs folding .

But unfortunately yep Cornish football is in a bad way both in terms of standard and interest . 

you senior guys running senior clubs take the bull by the horns and sort it out and fold all these pop up clubs . 

over and out .ps UTT 

A few generalisations in there about "pop-up" clubs. 

I can only speak for Falmouth Community Youth when I say that they have some excellent coaches within their ranks, some of which are being encouraged to take the higher level coaching badges and at least one has managed at a higher level than most or all swpl coaches.

As ever with Youth football it is very much dependent on the quality of the VOLUNTEER who gives up his time to run a team. They should all be applauded for doing so. At this particular club the coaches do much more than teach football. They try to take an active role in the emotional development of their players as well.

Regarding why they were formed: They have been around for a long time in providing free football on a Saturday morning but over the last few years have organised themselves enough to start up some teams and entered them into the local leagues. They needed to do this because, of the local men's teams, only Wendron had a youth section. For instance, 2 only 7-a-side teams for U_10s in Falmouth/Wendron area a few years ago. At best offering football for 20 lads in the whole area!  Without these "pop-up" clubs there would be minimal levels of youth football in the Falmouth area.

Finally, Falmouth Community Youth FC are fostering links with Falmouth Town with a view to Town possibly providing a pathway into mens football after U_16s. Mutually beneficial in anyones eyes surely.

Clubs such as this should be applauded for not only providing future players but also for getting children active and producing well-rounded young adults.

As Dave is now finding out there is also the problem of facilities. With successive governments selling off or running down playing fields. the spaces to play football are diminishing, making it more difficult to find somewhere to hire. When you do find spaces it can be expensive which brings us to another problem of fundraising. It must cost around £2500-£3000 to run 2 teams for a season at least, once you factor in insurance, kits, balls, training kit and hiring winter training spaces. And your pitch hire/maintenance. All of this even before you kick a ball competitively.

This then brings you on to committed volunteers giving their time and most of the time money to keep the club going. And this to me is the main problem because they are becoming rarer than rocking horse shit. When you get players coming and going willy nilly it can be very upsetting for these dedicated few.

22 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Been reminded of Chacewater and Perranwell x2. If all had a full squad of 16 that’s 416 players within 6 miles of Redruth. And you also have to take into account Dropside and Carharrack wanting to join next season.

The issue is how many of those potential 416 are actually active? 25-30% if that. Anyone can fill out the registration form, turning up each week is another story. 

On 25/01/2020 at 12:27, le boss said:

As a youth coach, does your coaching encompass all the mental challenges that these youth players are likely to face, the ones you have so eloquently alluded to above? I understand your frustration at us old codgers but what has been said about the attitudes of youth who start to play senior football is evident at nearly every club so something must be wrong maybe. The point about coaches and parents stepping up as the youth get older is again very prevalent and how often do you see a coach rise up thru the age groups just because their son, or daughter, is in the same group - can't be healthy for either side? Too often youth set ups are run separately from adult set ups and lots of coaches think that just because they wear a track suit and have sat in on a couple of low level courses they know what's best - they change from parent to coach in a blink of an eye - sometimes without ever having kicked a ball in anger. But hey - always someone else's fault

Speaking as an ex coach of a youth side, the fact that people are slagging off the parents that coach is unbelievable. These people often volunteer in order to ensure that boys and girls are able to play football. Yes I was a parent of one of the players and no I never played football to a high standard. I stepped in when the original manager left so that the team would continue. Since they have gone into men’s football two are in the South West Peninsula League, one in the st piran league and four still in the trelawney league. Yes a few have stopped playing etc, but to moan at the youth managers who ensure that children play football on a regular basis imho is ridiculous. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2020 at 09:36, kevin richards said:

It may well be very high Dave, however, youngsters these days have the retention spans of goldfish & if someone says something they don’t like or get upset by, they then go somewhere else or say they don’t want to play with a load of ruffians. 
The youth football set up is all well & good but it just means someone else is doing all the running around for them. Young kids wearing club tracksuits, when did I miss that. !! 
Everything is put on a plate for them & then when they are asked to help run a club, they are not interested. Get these kids to respect the club they are playing for, make them stay with that club  until they old enough to play men’s football & then stick with that club through thick & thin. The only problem being, their parents are just as fickle & would also walk, taking little Jonny with them, slagging off the club & the people running it as they drive out the gate.

Does anyone reading this think that these kids will be playing for the club they are at now in 15/20 years time. ?

No, me neither.

Therein lies the problem. 

Totally agree, this should apply to managers as well to show loyalty to 1 Club thus providing a concrete example to the said youngsters don't you think ?