Cornwall Football Forum

Refusing promotion

59 minutes ago, le boss said:

Can somebody give WC Rowe a call just to put a smile on Olders face!! At least you had free use of all that council machinery back in the day to create a great pitch at Kernick - or don't you remember that either...….

Haha! Not that old chestnut again, a 4 ton tractor and 5 ton roller on the kernick pitch the sum total of pitch equipment...dont think so.

Try a £3,500 Dennis multi cassette mower and a fork...receipts available.

WC Rowe good sponsors of the club and will always be appreciated. 

Ride the wave your on and enjoy it, footballs round to come around.

Best of luck to Helston from me...your turn...lol

Too many pessimists on the forum on this subject. If it were your club, you'd be all for it. Good luck to all who have the plans to take the plummet and gamble on challenging themselves.

Once a club is in the Western League, don't forget clubs have the opportunity to network with other SWL sides and have dual registered players. Parkway have a good solid squad and most weeks it looks like the same group, but when needed they supplement with SWL players. Their registered list includes the likes of James Lorenz of Liskeard, Landricombe brothers of Tiverton, and a few from both Torpoint & Mount Gould. 

Hopefully Saltash are aiming to go up too because from what I've seen, and read on here, they too are a solid squad and all very familiar with eachother. Cusack clearly knows what he's doing. I imagine he'll have the network to register additional help too. Plus the invaluable club depth with 3 teams in competitive leagues where they promote from within.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next few seasons.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Haha! Not that old chestnut again, a 4 ton tractor and 5 ton roller on the kernick pitch the sum total of pitch equipment...dont think so.

Try a £3,500 Dennis multi cassette mower and a fork...receipts available.

WC Rowe good sponsors of the club and will always be appreciated. 

Ride the wave your on and enjoy it, footballs round to come around.

Best of luck to Helston from me...your turn...lol

Just making the point that people are knocking Helston for something that has been going on thru our playing days and a lot of those who have most to say have probably benefitted most. People should not take the moral high ground without thinking - and no, that is not aimed at your or the mighty Ryn in particular.

42 minutes ago, le boss said:

Just making the point that people are knocking Helston for something that has been going on thru our playing days and a lot of those who have most to say have probably benefitted most. People should not take the moral high ground without thinking - and no, that is not aimed at your or the mighty Ryn in particular.

No high ground from me buddy, as I said enjoy the ride.

Best of luck from the mighty Ryn.

I will be watching from interest and may even see you down Helston one of these days.

Not seen you down there for a while...I've been looking (?)

1 minute ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

No high ground from me buddy, as I said enjoy the ride.

Best of luck from the mighty Ryn.

I will be watching from interest and may even see you down Helston one of these days.

Not seen you down there for a while...I've been looking (?)

going today to watch yours against mine!!!

4 hours ago, Jacob Englefield said:

The current team does have experience. What I meant was, I think there will be a greater number of experienced players next season. Not including the likes of Brokenshire, Slateford, Eddy and Goldsworthy. But instead those from higher divisions. With experience of certainly Western League football, but also the Southern League as well. That's if Helston get promoted this season. Which I would hazard a guess and say they will. I haven't watched Western League football for many years. But, like you, I would say that I can't see the gap being that big. The Southern League would be a bit different again though.

From what those who follow Parkway tell me, the difference is that there is more quality through the division. There are no whipping boys or matches that are foregone conclusions. Every team (especially those in the lower reaches) set up to make it to make it tough to break them down, and usually have one or two players that can cause problems. The travelling is an issue, but Parkway have now embraced it and know how to plan for long trips (especially in midweek). On the flip side, teams really do not enjoy travelling to Plymouth or Tavistock (especially for a midweek game). Can only imagine what they will think about a journey down to Helston.

15 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

From what those who follow Parkway tell me, the difference is that there is more quality through the division. There are no whipping boys or matches that are foregone conclusions. Every team (especially those in the lower reaches) set up to make it to make it tough to break them down, and usually have one or two players that can cause problems. The travelling is an issue, but Parkway have now embraced it and know how to plan for long trips (especially in midweek). On the flip side, teams really do not enjoy travelling to Plymouth or Tavistock (especially for a midweek game). Can only imagine what they will think about a journey down to Helston.

I took in Tavistock v Cribbs yesterday (6th v16th), which Tavvy ran out 3-0 victors, but what you have said is very true - there was little difference between the teams other that Tavvys front pairing of Crago and Jordan Annear - a close game and a very good standard - with both teams fielding full squads of decent players - Cribbs for me being a team who would be top 3/4 in the SWPL on their performance. With Parkway / Exmouth and Tavvy all doing very well in the Western Prem there is no reason why the top two in the SWPL cannot do really well if they took promotion - but it will not be easy. 
It will be interesting though to see how many of the current squad at Helston (Saltash, if first / second, for me would make no changes as have played the same squad for a few years) would feature next season in the Western Prem. SM has numerous contacts across the country and he must be looking at new players - especially as some Helston players have previously shown a reluctance to play in higher leagues and travel every other week - the likes of Eddy, Slateford, Goldsworthy must all have been touted by higher teams?

Good luck to them all, however it pans out. 

50 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

I took in Tavistock v Cribbs yesterday (6th v16th), which Tavvy ran out 3-0 victors, but what you have said is very true - there was little difference between the teams other that Tavvys front pairing of Crago and Jordan Annear - a close game and a very good standard - with both teams fielding full squads of decent players - Cribbs for me being a team who would be top 3/4 in the SWPL on their performance. With Parkway / Exmouth and Tavvy all doing very well in the Western Prem there is no reason why the top two in the SWPL cannot do really well if they took promotion - but it will not be easy. 
It will be interesting though to see how many of the current squad at Helston (Saltash, if first / second, for me would make no changes as have played the same squad for a few years) would feature next season in the Western Prem. SM has numerous contacts across the country and he must be looking at new players - especially as some Helston players have previously shown a reluctance to play in higher leagues and travel every other week - the likes of Eddy, Slateford, Goldsworthy must all have been touted by higher teams?

Good luck to them all, however it pans out. 

The bit about keeping the squad together after taking promotion is the big question. Tavistock have done very well in this when several people (myself included) thought they might lose a few. Parkway have had a few leave from the SWPL title winning squad, but have replaced them with better players that are more suited to Western League football. Indeed, most of the squad have experience in professional, step 2 and 3 football (and crucially the travelling involved) so you could say it is Southern League ready. Taking Saltash as an example though, their front two of Ryan Richards and Sam Hughes would cause problems for any Western League defence, but would both players be able to commit fully due to work and family commitments and stick around for it? Same question applies to Helston, in their case I could see a scenario where they would have a group of dual registration players, based in the Exeter and Torquay area, who would come in for away midweek matches

Getting players in has always been an issue for Western League clubs in this area, remember Liskeard regularly losing out to SWL clubs who could offer players more money for less travelling commitment.

I hope that two teams take promotion this season.

As mentioned in the chat already the more teams that take promotion form Cornwall and Devon the easier it will become for travel.

Also I have never understood paying large amounts of money to win a league by a country mile and not take promotion and challenge yourself at a higher level. Some teams now have a good structure in place and yes have some money behind (which is definitely needed to progress).

5 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

I hope that two teams take promotion this season.

As mentioned in the chat already the more teams that take promotion form Cornwall and Devon the easier it will become for travel.

Also I have never understood paying large amounts of money to win a league by a country mile and not take promotion and challenge yourself at a higher level. Some teams now have a good structure in place and yes have some money behind (which is definitely needed to progress).

I am pretty confident your wishes will be granted. Can see Helston or Saltash winning the league and I reckon they'll both take promotion if available (not sure if its 1 or 2 teams for promotion?). Would even say Mousehole would take promotion also.... dependant on ground grading i guess, or has that ruling been abolished?