Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
Jeff  Chambers

Falmouth Town win to reach quarter final of the Walter C Parson cup

Recommended Posts

A fantastic crowd of 690 watched Falmouth Town breeze past Torridgeside to secure a quarter final home tie against St Blazey. It was a very emotional day, a very sad day but we sang our hearts out for our mate John Martin.

Bickland Park really is something else. Our first home game for 5 weeks and how we've all missed our Packet End. It was great to be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

How is the fella who collapsed in the F troop gang?

Not sure mate, it was very worrying to see the lad struggling. However the ambulance crew were awesome and he looked so much better when he was taken to hostpital. Ill try and get an update and let you know Baks.  Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

A fantastic crowd of 690 watched Falmouth Town breeze past Torridgeside to secure a quarter final home tie against St Blazey. It was a very emotional day, a very sad day but we sang our hearts out for our mate John Martin.

Bickland Park really is something else. Our first home game for 5 weeks and how we've all missed our Packet End. It was great to be back.

Jeff, is there a particular reason as to why there were so many in attendance at Falmouth yesterday? As I'm sure that's nowhere near what they normally get. And without being disrespectful towards Torridgeside, it's not like they are a big side either.

3 hours ago, leedsunited said:

690 ... Was this was more than Truro City had in their top of the table clash ? If so Truro must & should be quite embarrassed! 

Going by official figures, it was a good 70 or so more than what Truro got I believe. In all fairness to those at Truro, they are picking up the pieces after the previous owners left it in a bit of a mess. So much so, it'll probably take a few years to sort out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Don't know the Truro attendance leeds. And if I am perfectly honest, I don't really care. 

Absolutely cracking attendance at Bickland Jeff.

I can appreciate you and your colleagues have put a lot of time and effort into rekindling enthusiasm in the town but it certainly appears to be paying off. You've caught the punters imagination and they've come back to local football. If only the template could be copied at other SWPL clubs.

I witnessed a very good game between Camelford & Liskeard this weekend but my head count only got up to 56? Lovely setting too.

Saying that I'm sure Blazey will bring some colour to your away end next week.

Keep the faith. Excellent stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to next Saturday. Weather forcast is decent so expect no issues with the game being on. There is a large following coming down on the early train and will be in the pubs in town early. Plenty of car loads coming down. Should be a good afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacob Englefield said:

Jeff, is there a particular reason as to why there were so many in attendance at Falmouth yesterday? As I'm sure that's nowhere near what they normally get. And without being disrespectful towards Torridgeside, it's not like they are a big side either.

Going by official figures, it was a good 70 or so more than what Truro got I believe. In all fairness to those at Truro, they are picking up the pieces after the previous owners left it in a bit of a mess. So much so, it'll probably take a few years to sort out.

A good few games locally were off so probably contributed to the larger than normal attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A good few games locally were off so probably contributed to the larger than normal attendance.

Yep saw quite a few ryners there ,come to watch their bigger noisier neighbours .😁 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Looking forward to next Saturday. Weather forcast is decent so expect no issues with the game being on. There is a large following coming down on the early train and will be in the pubs in town early. Plenty of car loads coming down. Should be a good afternoon. 

No coach then Paul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul said:

Looking forward to next Saturday. Weather forcast is decent so expect no issues with the game being on. There is a large following coming down on the early train and will be in the pubs in town early. Plenty of car loads coming down. Should be a good afternoon. 

Be a few car loads Paul ... They are all from Plymouth 🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Absolutely cracking attendance at Bickland Jeff.

I can appreciate you and your colleagues have put a lot of time and effort into rekindling enthusiasm in the town but it certainly appears to be paying off. You've caught the punters imagination and they've come back to local football. If only the template could be copied at other SWPL clubs.

I witnessed a very good game between Camelford & Liskeard this weekend but my head count only got up to 56? Lovely setting too.

Saying that I'm sure Blazey will bring some colour to your away end next week.

Keep the faith. Excellent stuff.

Its been a real team effort to rekindle the Bickland park atmosphere of bygone years Uwdi. A lot of the old lads have returned and my mate John Perrow has opened relationships with the local football community , so there are many reasons for Falmouths increased attendances. Realistically I doubt we will get 690 fans every week however we are all focused to continue this upsurge. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Looking forward to next Saturday. Weather forcast is decent so expect no issues with the game being on. There is a large following coming down on the early train and will be in the pubs in town early. Plenty of car loads coming down. Should be a good afternoon. 

Should be a cracking day Paul. As I've lived in Plymouth since 1983 I know most of the Plymouth lads that are coming. The vast majority are not Blazey fans tbh but good mates of Shaun Vincent who is St Blazeys joint manager. The lads coming are Argyle fans and we will welcome them to Bickland Park. I am sure it will be a cracking atmosphere and the Green Army/F-troop together will have a brilliant time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. Great bunch of lads and itll make for a good afternoon. Its what its all about. The usual lot will travel as always. 

Bit rich from Leeds to question our support when hes 'apparently' connected with Bodmin. 😂 Or is he?? Hummm. 

 

4 hours ago, mattelot said:

Yep saw quite a few ryners there ,come to watch their bigger noisier neighbours .😁 

No coach then Paul?

No. Something to look at going forward but with lots of other things to do, away travel will have to wait for now. But definitely worth thinking about in the future. 

Lots of things in the pipe line to encourage more people to watch, from free tickets to local schools etc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best local game I’ve ever seen I think was Falmouth 7-5 Blazey at Bickland, think it was the season before I signed for Town, 88 maybe? Evening game, I’m sure Mike will have all the details!! Two reallly strong teams, end to end, what a game! 👍👏🏼👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Best local game I’ve ever seen I think was Falmouth 7-5 Blazey at Bickland, think it was the season before I signed for Town, 88 maybe? Evening game, I’m sure Mike will have all the details!! Two reallly strong teams, end to end, what a game! 👍👏🏼👌

Rappo, one of the Plymouth lads coming this Saturday, Mike Honey, asked me if you were going to be there as he would like to catch up with you. Would be great to have our old goal scoring legend there this Saturday. It will be  great atmosphere mate. Oh and if you can make it don't forget to wear your scarf please. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Rappo, one of the Plymouth lads coming this Saturday, Mike Honey, asked me if you were going to be there as he would like to catch up with you. Would be great to have our old goal scoring legend there this Saturday. It will be  great atmosphere mate. Oh and if you can make it don't forget to wear your scarf please. :) 

Dont be silly Jeff, Rappo is now on his second stint as a Rynner again.

His boy is knocking the goals in for us this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best result at Falmouth would have to be the opening day game at Bickland several years ago when Falmouth led 2v0 with 10 minutes to go. St Blazey looked finished but scored 3 goals and stole all 3 points. Brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Best local game I’ve ever seen I think was Falmouth 7-5 Blazey at Bickland, think it was the season before I signed for Town, 88 maybe? Evening game, I’m sure Mike will have all the details!! Two reallly strong teams, end to end, what a game! 👍👏🏼👌

Remember it well mate .winning 4-1 at half time .lost 7-5 .🤨

4 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Rappo, one of the Plymouth lads coming this Saturday, Mike Honey, asked me if you were going to be there as he would like to catch up with you. Would be great to have our old goal scoring legend there this Saturday. It will be  great atmosphere mate. Oh and if you can make it don't forget to wear your scarf please. :) 

And your body armour !!! 😁😂🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit yeah you’re right Nige, we lost 7-5 didn’t we!! 😳🙄 crazy game that one, some brilliant goals from both teams! Bloody hell Jeff!! Give Mike my regards! There was some tough old centre halves around in those days, Richard Gibbons, Nigel Menhennick, Toffee Tummon,  but think Mike was the one who put the shivers up me the most!! Massive legs on him, it was like being hit by a train when he steamed into you! My dad always used to say to me, “don’t show the centre half you’re hurt” but it was hard to get straight up from some of Mikes tackles!! To be fair he took the lot, man, ball, advertising boards!! Would be good to catch up with him again, what a character, I’ll even slip my shin pads on! Older is right mate, love watching the boy play for Penryn these days when I can, they’re a cracking team, it’s Helston away 2.30 ko on Saturday so I’ll whip straight over after and pop in to say hello Jeff. 👍️ Nige I’ll bring that tenner I owe you for my scarf mate!! 👍💛🖤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2020 at 15:35, Jacob Englefield said:

is there a particular reason as to why there were so many in attendance at Falmouth yesterday? As

Probably something to do with brabyn being on fire , and the opposition defence being terrified! 

It's not to be missed. 

I'm quite enjoying going to watch falmouth town on the weekends . Brings back good memories of the 90s when I used to go with my dad and uncle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Dont be silly Jeff, Rappo is now on his second stint as a Rynner again.

His boy is knocking the goals in for us this season.

That's fair enough Baks, I loved watching my daughter play football when she was a teenager 4 years ago but she packed it in as soon as she discovered make-up lol.

Hey....!!!  Rappo will always be one of us Baks. Falmouth Town FC and the Packet End runs through his veins. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Shit yeah you’re right Nige, we lost 7-5 didn’t we!! 😳🙄 crazy game that one, some brilliant goals from both teams! Bloody hell Jeff!! Give Mike my regards! There was some tough old centre halves around in those days, Richard Gibbons, Nigel Menhennick, Toffee Tummon,  but think Mike was the one who put the shivers up me the most!! Massive legs on him, it was like being hit by a train when he steamed into you! My dad always used to say to me, “don’t show the centre half you’re hurt” but it was hard to get straight up from some of Mikes tackles!! To be fair he took the lot, man, ball, advertising boards!! Would be good to catch up with him again, what a character, I’ll even slip my shin pads on! Older is right mate, love watching the boy play for Penryn these days when I can, they’re a cracking team, it’s Helston away 2.30 ko on Saturday so I’ll whip straight over after and pop in to say hello Jeff. 👍️ Nige I’ll bring that tenner I owe you for my scarf mate!! 👍💛🖤

Only a fiver for your scarf mate not a tenner ! Jeff will think I'm selling em on for a profit .😁😂🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2020 at 19:25, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

A good few games locally were off so probably contributed to the larger than normal attendance.

That was one of my initial thoughts. Still, good on Falmouth for getting the crowd they did. You'd hope people would keep coming back if they witnessed a good performance and result. The atmosphere to would be an added bonus.

23 hours ago, GEACH1 said:

Probably something to do with brabyn being on fire , and the opposition defence being terrified! 

It's not to be missed. 

I'm quite enjoying going to watch falmouth town on the weekends . Brings back good memories of the 90s when I used to go with my dad and uncle 

I've watched Falmouth a couple of times this season. I was particularly impressed with the performance at Helston in the FA Vase. They really put them to the sword that day. I'm hoping to get up to Bickland Park and watch them before too long. I'll possibly go this Saturday for the St Blazey game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 18:24, GEACH1 said:

Probably something to do with brabyn being on fire , and the opposition defence being terrified! 

It's not to be missed. 

I'm quite enjoying going to watch falmouth town on the weekends . Brings back good memories of the 90s when I used to go with my dad and uncle 

Big Al take note

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2020 at 21:32, Mike Odgers said:

Biggest Bickland gate since 1998

3rd.Oct.98  F A.Cup (2nd.Q.R)   Falmouth Town 1(Luke Hodge)---Tiverton Town 0   Att.833

Remember that game well mike .Think luke scored after about 20 mins  at the clubhouse end .The next 70 odd were the longest of my life . That was a huge scalp for us back then .Remember F troop singing " Sacked in the morning ! ,oh you'l  be sacked in the morning !" to Martin Rogers at the final whistle .What was our line up that day mike ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mattelot said:

Remember that game well mike .Think luke scored after about 20 mins  at the clubhouse end .The next 70 odd were the longest of my life . That was a huge scalp for us back then .Remember F troop singing " Sacked in the morning ! ,oh you'l  be sacked in the morning !" to Martin Rogers at the final whistle .What was our line up that day mike ?

1.Steve "Sid" Taylor-2.Luke Hodge-3.Paul Waters-4.Dave Sweet-5.Lee Fox-6.Andy Parr-7.Adrian Street-8.Chris Tomlinson-9.Just Ashburn-10.Andy Street-11.Jason Carwardine--Sub.Used Dale Band.

 

1998-F A CUP run. Home v Devizes Town Won 1-0 (Luke Hodge)----Home v Wimborne Town Won 3-1 (Andy Street 2-Jonas Alemen)---Home Tiverton Town Won 1-0 (Luke Hodge)--Away v Worcester City Lost 1-3 (Dale Band)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slight change of topic, how do the F-Troop feel about Jack Bowyer leaving for St Austell. Good signing for the Poltair lot and an obvious replacement for Hayden Turner, but why would he want to leave a side that is still in with a shout for a cup treble this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Slight change of topic, how do the F-Troop feel about Jack Bowyer leaving for St Austell. Good signing for the Poltair lot and an obvious replacement for Hayden Turner, but why would he want to leave a side that is still in with a shout for a cup treble this season?

Money! No loyalty to Falmouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Slight change of topic, how do the F-Troop feel about Jack Bowyer leaving for St Austell. Good signing for the Poltair lot and an obvious replacement for Hayden Turner, but why would he want to leave a side that is still in with a shout for a cup treble this season?

Work means he has only been available for half the games Falmouth have played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Police officer if I remember correctly.

Correct and he has already stated on f troops Facebook page that he's  leaving and thanks for the support and atmosphere whilst with the club .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattelot said:

Correct and he has already stated on f troops Facebook page that he's  leaving and thanks for the support and atmosphere whilst with the club .

Being a police officer makes no difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are all really disappointed that Jack has left us, also Steve Parker Billinge our reserve keeper. If I am honest I am a little confused as to why Jack has left. He's a police officer and unfortunately was not available most Saturdays, so how does that change signing for St Austell ? But it is what it is and everyone has the freedom of choice. We loved JB and what a quality little striker he was for us, a great finisher and great lad. The F-Troop will never forget that. All the best Jack & Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff Chambers said:

We are all really disappointed that Jack has left us, also Steve Parker Billinge our reserve keeper. If I am honest I am a little confused as to why Jack has left. He's a police officer and unfortunately was not available most Saturdays, so how does that change signing for St Austell ? But it is what it is and everyone has the freedom of choice. We loved JB and what a quality little striker he was for us, a great finisher and great lad. The F-Troop will never forget that. All the best Jack & Steve.

He's straight in the team to face us today !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Still seems strange, him playing for St Austell. Good luck today Monsoon. Im sure DG will fire your lads up.

Thanks Jeff,should be good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever moves wherever it always sems to come back to money in some quarters, in Jacks case perhaps you should do a little detective work and look a little deeper at who his work colleagues are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, We Two said:

Whoever moves wherever it always sems to come back to money in some quarters, in Jacks case perhaps you should do a little detective work and look a little deeper at who his work colleagues are.

Still do not see that is relevant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Still do not see that is relevant!

Never been influenced by workmates Al ? regardless of the type of job they do.

 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Playing for nothing then?

Don't think anyone is silly enough to believe that but not necessarily for more than he got at Falmouth, you'll just have to think beyond the money ethic Older.

A little detective work, There's your clue !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, We Two said:

Never been influenced by workmates Al ? regardless of the type of job they do.

 

Don't think anyone is silly enough to believe that but not necessarily for more than he got at Falmouth, you'll just have to think beyond the money ethic Older.

A little detective work, There's your clue !

 

 

Would he have moved if they played for nothing?

Doubt it.

Money makes the world go around...especially in football... here's your clue - that's life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Would he have moved if they played for nothing?

Doubt it.

Money makes the world go around...especially in football... here's your clue - that's life.

Of course not the only reason he moved was that there is more money up the road ! Also if he can’t play on Saturday what is the point of holding on to him anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The suggestion you offered Older, was that Jack moved for more money, our suggestion is that it was for a different reason, even if he is getting more money.

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

£30 at Falmouth...£50+ at St Austell maybe?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

probably should also consider travelling to each club as to why he left? He used to play for Sticker so im assuming he lives nearby... a long drive to Falmouth to get 15 mins..... a much shorter drive to St Austell to get 15 mins (examples only as i saw he started on saturday)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...