Cornwall Football Forum

Game Cancellation Problems

With St Austell off already, Blazey cant survive surely?! Horrendous weather these past couple of days, be surprised if many games up and down the county are played this weekend.

Surely its time we changed the football season from August-May to something like February-November? Or does these weeks of cancellation fuel the fire for the need of more artificial pitches down this neck of the woods?

Either (obviously, one a hell of a lot more costly than the other) would make for a much better season IMO

You Often Hear players comment that Artificial Pitches are great for training but not matches and if the season was from February -November there would be no alignment with the rest of the country therefore no Fa cup or Fa Vase. 

Plus sometimes in the height of summer the Pitches are absolutely rock solid and burnt to a crisp - Just wouldn't work 

13 hours ago, Jacob Englefield said:

If the football season changed from what it is now, it just wouldn't be the same. The use of artificial pitches is one that always opens up a discussion amongst people. The affordability of them is something that would have to be considered too.

There is a large cost involved in upkeeping artificial pitches and they do have quite a short life.

Then why not take advantage of the ones that are available now. 
Hayle first team have no fixture for 3 weeks, and the 2nd team are away for 3 weeks, the main pitch and 3G are available for that period but not one league has asked to use it for postponed etc games. 

24 minutes ago, Jacob Englefield said:

I wouldn't know what the cost of the upkeep of an artificial pitch is. Neither would I know how long they would last at a good level. But what I'm fairly sure on is how expensive they are to install. Next to none of the clubs in Cornwall would be able to afford it.

There are very few around. And perhaps some clubs aren't in favour of using the pitches that we do have. It's down to individual preferences. The cost of pitch hire would also inevitably be a problem too.

One could probably get it installed by the education authority and then rent it from the school but this is rather impracticable.

I think you’ll find that all the suitable 3/4g (bearing in mind the pitch ‘owner’ has to pay £100’s for FIFA approval - no not the CCFA ) are fully booked months in advance so ad hoc bookings on rainy weekends are a problem - suggestion could be for leagues to book the pitches for Sat / Sun’s for next season and build in multiple fixtures on one day - obviously charging clubs, maybe even helping with ref shortage?
When you see Devon FA have just started their ‘conversion’ of Coach Road to 4g at a cost of £950,000 (and that is at a flat well drained location) you can see why there are so few about. 

54 minutes ago, Jacob Englefield said:

It's good to see it being regularly used. Could that then prevent it from being used by clubs to play league games?

If that's the case, I think it's pretty expensive. Baring in mind clubs are struggling for money as it is these days. When they have the potential opportunity to use artificial surfaces, they'll be put off by the costs.

Quite agree although the owners of the pitches are laughing all the way to the bank!

From the Devon FA website:

Devon FA are delighted to announce that work has now begun on our new artificial 3G pitch and an additional 70 space car park.

The new pitch will improve the existing sporting and recreation facilities at Devon FA, which will increase usage for the benefit of football clubs, partner organisations and community groups in the surrounding area, including local junior and youth football clubs and will offer a variety of pitches with multiple markings and training areas within the same enclosed playing area.

The project which was identified a strategic priority in the Teignbridge Playing Pitch Strategy the is set to cost around £950,000, with a funding grant from the FA and Football Foundation contributing over £600,000 towards the re-generation and £100,000 from Teignbridge Local Authority. 

36 minutes ago, Jacob Englefield said:

With all the associated costs I've seen mentioned in this post, it's perhaps a reason as to why so little places have an artificial surface. And there's only so much money available through grants and other schemes.

Might it be a good idea for the stadium for the pirates / truro city to be 3G .I don't know the ins and outs of 3G but I'm guessing it would be no good for scrumaging .would be a money spinner if you could hire it out .