Cornwall Football Forum

St Piran applicants for SWPL

From SWPL twitter:-

The FA have released national list of applicants for Promotion from Step 7 to Step 6.

Locally 5 clubs have applied:

From Devon Football League :-
Braunton, Newtown & Teignmouth

From St Piran League 
Hayle & Penryn Athletic

Promotion is subject to ground grading & finishing positions.

20 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

From SWPL twitter:-

The FA have released national list of applicants for Promotion from Step 7 to Step 6.

Locally 5 clubs have applied:

From Devon Football League :-
Braunton, Newtown & Teignmouth

From St Piran League 
Hayle & Penryn Athletic

Promotion is subject to ground grading & finishing positions.

Penryn coming up would be good for a Boxing Day derby for Falmouth Town.  Don't really fancy the Wendron microclimate in the middle of winter!

Its possible the SWPL(W) will lose two clubs- with Champions expected to be promoted and second spot offered promotion.

I can see Saltash as champions and Helston runners up and listening to Steve Massey on Radio C yesterday he is definitely up for Western League next season.

With no Cornish clubs in the Western League there will be no relegation to the SWPL(W) and I forsee a decline in standards for a number of seasons with only a possible sideways move by Torpoint and Millbrook to restore a balance.

With Parkway,Exmouth and Tavistock all looking strong in the Western League the big SW clubs are on the move UP and AWAY

I do realise SWPL(W)is not a Cornish only league  but is an EAST -WEST devide.

As stated above regarding the west applicants Penryn are in pole position to be promoted by league position, both Hayle and Penryn should'nt have much to worry about when it comes to ground grading, Penryns pitch has always been one of the best in the county and Hayles pitch is up there with the best along with their recent upgrades to the ground is already fit for higher league football. Both clubs though would probably have to invest in player recruitment for the step up. Will they have the budget? 

2 hours ago, CentreHalf83 said:

As stated above regarding the west applicants Penryn are in pole position to be promoted by league position, both Hayle and Penryn should'nt have much to worry about when it comes to ground grading, Penryns pitch has always been one of the best in the county and Hayles pitch is up there with the best along with their recent upgrades to the ground is already fit for higher league football. Both clubs though would probably have to invest in player recruitment for the step up. Will they have the budget? 

Dont need a budget when you don't pay anyone. 

2 hours ago, CentreHalf83 said:

As stated above regarding the west applicants Penryn are in pole position to be promoted by league position, both Hayle and Penryn should'nt have much to worry about when it comes to ground grading, Penryns pitch has always been one of the best in the county and Hayles pitch is up there with the best along with their recent upgrades to the ground is already fit for higher league football. 

I assume you've not looked through the FA Ground Grading regulations for promotion to Step 6. It covers many things other than the playing surface!

58 minutes ago, John Mead said:

I assume you've not looked through the FA Ground Grading regulations for promotion to Step 6. It covers many things other than the playing surface!

I haven't read the regulations but i'm aware that it's not just the pitch! I was complementing the pitches. Some of the pitches in swpl are far below the two mentioned above. 

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Didn't Hayle withdraw from some fixtures, albeit the reserve sides, due to lack of players a few times this and last season and haven't Penryn postponed a number of games due to the "wet" pitch - surely these types of issues would be of concern to a league accepting them upon promotion? If my facts are wrong then I apologise to both or either club.

56 minutes ago, le boss said:

Didn't Hayle withdraw from some fixtures, albeit the reserve sides, due to lack of players a few times this and last season and haven't Penryn postponed a number of games due to the "wet" pitch - surely these types of issues would be of concern to a league accepting them upon promotion? If my facts are wrong then I apologise to both or either club.

Hayle have NOT  withdrawn from any games this season be it first team or second team. Last season I believe was the third team, which has since gone. Both sides first and seconds are strong this season and the club is moving forward. Thank you for your concerns. 

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Crikey Bash!  If you're going to use the wet pitch argument this season of all seasons there wouldn't be many candidates.

26 minutes ago, potch said:

Hayle have NOT  withdrawn from any games this season be it first team or second team. Last season I believe was the third team, which has since gone. Both sides first and seconds are strong this season and the club is moving forward. Thank you for your concerns. 

Wow!! Just a bit touchy lol. As I wrote previously - I do apologise if my memory of facts were wrong.

11 minutes ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Crikey Bash!  If you're going to use the wet pitch argument this season of all seasons there wouldn't be many candidates.

My point is that some pitches "seem" to be more at risk than others for whatever reason and there must be a reason for it because everyone has received pretty much the same weather.

55 minutes ago, le boss said:

Wow!! Just a bit touchy lol. As I wrote previously - I do apologise if my memory of facts were wrong.

My point is that some pitches "seem" to be more at risk than others for whatever reason and there must be a reason for it because everyone has received pretty much the same weather.

Well of course some pitches are more susceptible to the weather than others, it's not rocket science!

You will generally find those clubs that have levelled their fields will be liable to flooding more readily than those who have done nothing to level their playing surface. 

Also a big factor is the topography of the site, it's all about where you are and what you've done.

There is also the factor of do you want to damage your pitch so badly you wont be able to play for the next 3 weeks.  With the reduced number of games these days there is ample time to rearrange to a drier time.

Totally agree with Older, every pitch is different, you may have to call a game off on your pitch whereas there’s a game still on 5 miles down the road! Pitches drain differently, hold water differently, what’s the point in playing on a saturated pitch and wrecking it for months when we’ve got another 4 plus months of this season yet to fit in another date! I’m sure players would prefer to play on a nice rolled surface in a couple of months time rather than one that the groundsman can’t get on or even get the lines down sometimes in this weather!