Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash 2-1 Helston - WCP League Cup Wednesday Jan 8 2020

Showcase Cornish talent when they move up! There wont be many Cornish men in the team.

At this time with all of Helstons self promotion for many it smacks of rubbing your noses in it.

I mean...what the hell are all of these videos about...mirror, mirror on the wall who is the vainest of them all?

What's next...behind the scenes in Helstons kitchen...lol

Best of luck to Helston from me...but REALLY!

6 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Le boss - it’s all about opinions and never one of arguments. Firstly I just find it strange (May just be me) that after reaching such a record breaking milestone of 18 straight wins and maybe more to come that out of a 1000 votes across the two counties people didn’t recognise that - I know Matt’s view is that it is a weekly vote but that was the week they achieved the record and to me that is indicative of an issue faced by Helston - by Helston I mean the first team (don’t think anyone can question Helston club, the youth set up, facilities or club members). It may be jealously / envy or the Steve Massey ‘effect’. I don’t follow twitter or know who on the forum may be ex players and have a gripe about him, there just seems a lot of negativity. 
I am sure if there was an easy way of getting more local support every club would be doing it - but there is a difference with Helston in that they have (vocally) set their goals a lot higher than most if not all, and may well achieve them. I would love to see both Helston and Saltash (as I think they will be top two) take promotion and show Cornish talent at a higher level but I do still think that doing that without any interest from outside of the 200+ loyal supporters will be a little hollow. If I were to offer a view (and it is personal and one you will no doubt not agree with) - I find the first team appear to have  an air of arrogance about them, a bit of humility in winning goes a long way. With their media ‘outlets’ give some credit to other teams, who are doing their best - even when out playing them, most supporters know when beaten by a better team and by doing so are more likely to give credit to the better team - you never hear Premier league managers say they are the best or their opponents poor - just a view. 

I don't see any problem vocalising ambitions - rather that than vocalising a lack of ambition and the thorny issue of local talent - there has been plenty of criticism of Helston picking up some/a lot of the county youth players, so it appears be damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think it is a very clever move to appoint Hoops as coach - he has his foot in both camps which can only be good for both - I know there will be plenty of cynics and knockers who will have a different viewpoint.

With regards to the 'air of arrogance', I get where you are coming from but could it be that they are just trying to be as 'professional' as possible? Gone are the days where the senior clubs in the county are purely a social thing - I can remember at the end of my playing days some 20 years ago, that outside sponsorship and club tracksuits etc were coming more and more evident and it has snowballed ever since and can be seen even at very young youth football but I completely agree there is a very fine line between arrogance and professionalism. Ultimately, the only way you get winners is through talent and a certain mentality and those things so often make the difference - just ask any of the successful managers both old and new.

Mr Massey, in my humble opinion, perhaps could've worded his observations with regards to opposing teams a little better but I have read complimentary remarks and congratulations aimed at opposition since the furore so perhaps he his trying to build a few bridges - and he was right about the standards lol!! 

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Showcase Cornish talent when they move up! There wont be many Cornish men in the team.

At this time with all of Helstons self promotion for many it smacks of rubbing your noses in it.

I mean...what the hell are all of these videos about...mirror, mirror on the wall who is the vainest of them all?

What's next...behind the scenes in Helstons kitchen...lol

Best of luck to Helston from me...but REALLY!

I don't understand why or what is being rubbed into your nose? The videos, as previously alluded to, I think is part of a project by the maker? Yes they are a little self-indulgent towards Helston but most are showing highlights of a game often involving other local sides so its not that bad surely. The videos involving interviews of the manager are quite revealing and give an insight into the manager but no one is forcing you to watch them. I can remember the envy everyone had for Penryn when Rowes looked after them and it was no coincidence that you attracted all the best players and were unbelievably successful providing a blueprint for the other clubs.

Not many Cornish men in the team? Comes back to many youngsters moving to university or away for work which was never a problem in our day and so the talent pool is always going to be weak and small in Cornwall sadly but surely by having a large percentage of the County Youth team playing for the club is a step in the right direction by trying to persuade them to stay? 

Maybe we could get a video about your kitchen and your famous chips with the alleged extras lol?

3 minutes ago, le boss said:

I don't see any problem vocalising ambitions - rather that than vocalising a lack of ambition and the thorny issue of local talent - there has been plenty of criticism of Helston picking up some/a lot of the county youth players, so it appears be damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think it is a very clever move to appoint Hoops as coach - he has his foot in both camps which can only be good for both - I know there will be plenty of cynics and knockers who will have a different viewpoint.

With regards to the 'air of arrogance', I get where you are coming from but could it be that they are just trying to be as 'professional' as possible? Gone are the days where the senior clubs in the county are purely a social thing - I can remember at the end of my playing days some 20 years ago, that outside sponsorship and club tracksuits etc were coming more and more evident and it has snowballed ever since and can be seen even at very young youth football but I completely agree there is a very fine line between arrogance and professionalism. Ultimately, the only way you get winners is through talent and a certain mentality and those things so often make the difference - just ask any of the successful managers both old and new.

Mr Massey, in my humble opinion, perhaps could've worded his observations with regards to opposing teams a little better but I have read complimentary remarks and congratulations aimed at opposition since the furore so perhaps he his trying to build a few bridges - and he was right about the standards lol!! 

Can’t disagree with your comments - I was going to mention Hoops, who I know also has ‘knockers’ but in my experience is a really genuine individual, great coach and has that ‘humility’ before, during and after games. I do think the issue over bringing in young players had nothing to do springboarding young talent - it was, for me, selling it as home grown talent that wrangled some clubs who had initially developed the lads - I may be wrong as a bit detached from youth football now - I actually wished that Hoops had taken on the u18 squad from a few years ago at one club, kept them together and we would then have a cracking team of young players who, IMO, would be second to none in the league - pipe dreams I know but maybe that is where SM and Helston are looking to go?

4 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Can’t disagree with your comments - I was going to mention Hoops, who I know also has ‘knockers’ but in my experience is a really genuine individual, great coach and has that ‘humility’ before, during and after games. I do think the issue over bringing in young players had nothing to do springboarding young talent - it was, for me, selling it as home grown talent that wrangled some clubs who had initially developed the lads - I may be wrong as a bit detached from youth football now - I actually wished that Hoops had taken on the u18 squad from a few years ago at one club, kept them together and we would then have a cracking team of young players who, IMO, would be second to none in the league - pipe dreams I know but maybe that is where SM and Helston are looking to go?

Its always going to be hard keeping a youth team together into adult football these days because many go onto higher education or travel the world or just seek employment elsewhere - time and time again you see and hear youth coaches lamenting the fact that they wish they could keep there team which is sometimes where the bitterness comes from when they go elsewhere. Having a team locally grown that could compete at a much higher level would be fantastic in an ideal world but as you have said - a pipe dream. Would certainly make financial sense to have more local players but they firstly have got to be good enough. Only time will tell I guess. 

3 hours ago, le boss said:

I don't understand why or what is being rubbed into your nose? The videos, as previously alluded to, I think is part of a project by the maker? Yes they are a little self-indulgent towards Helston but most are showing highlights of a game often involving other local sides so its not that bad surely. The videos involving interviews of the manager are quite revealing and give an insight into the manager but no one is forcing you to watch them. I can remember the envy everyone had for Penryn when Rowes looked after them and it was no coincidence that you attracted all the best players and were unbelievably successful providing a blueprint for the other clubs.

Not many Cornish men in the team? Comes back to many youngsters moving to university or away for work which was never a problem in our day and so the talent pool is always going to be weak and small in Cornwall sadly but surely by having a large percentage of the County Youth team playing for the club is a step in the right direction by trying to persuade them to stay? 

Maybe we could get a video about your kitchen and your famous chips with the alleged extras lol?

Nothing alleged...chips and fag ash is my speciality and they clear the plates every time...lol

I agree with some of your points. But. From this side of the lense it  is a bit narcissistic on occasion!