Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
Hetty

Saltash 2-1 Helston - WCP League Cup Wednesday Jan 8 2020

Recommended Posts

On 05/01/2020 at 21:54, Hetty said:

Big fixture in the league cup this Wednesday night. Be really interesting to see how this plays out.  
 

 

I favour Saltash to win this, they are easily the best side in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I favour Saltash to win this, they are easily the best side in the league.

How do you work that out?! If they win all their games in hand they would still be behind Helston!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, silly billy said:

How do you work that out?! If they win all their games in hand they would still be behind Helston!

Despite that I still say they are the best side. Presumably I am allowed to say that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

I favour Saltash to win this, they are easily the best side in the league.

So you actually watch some of the matches, it's just the Falmouth one's you avoid.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaping up to be quite the game for the neutrals, I for one will make the trip over and take this one in!  My prediction is lots of goals, a fair few cards and a sour faced Massey at the final whistle.  Saltash by far the best footballing side I have seen this season. Just hope it stays dry for the rest of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just drying out at home after a belter of a cup game.  Helston the better side first half and worth their lead.  Second half, Saltash looked much fitter than Helston and deserved the win for the second half performance.  Super sub Sam Hughes with both goals.

Slightly less pleasing was the constant harrasment of the ref by the Helston players from the kick off.  Goldsworthy also shown a yellow for simulation for trying to get the ashes defender sent off.
 

On tonight’s showing, not sure where all the money is being spent down at Helston.    

You may have build a star squad down there Mr Massey, but the difference is that Saltash have a Team who plays for the shirt, not the pay packet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skinner said:

HOOPER MADE A DIFFERENCE

Interesting to see Hoops in the dugout with Mass. I was told as Hoops manages a lot of the Helston boys at County level he was brought in so Mass could still play his big hitters & non local guys,  Hoops is there will keep the younger 'his' County Youth lads sweet & give them the reassurance even they don't figure. Cunning, but good thinking on Massey's behalf though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Interesting to see Hoops in the dugout with Mass. I was told as Hoops manages a lot of the Helston boys at County level he was brought in so Mass could still play his big hitters & non local guys,  Hoops is there will keep the younger 'his' County Youth lads sweet & give them the reassurance even they don't figure. Cunning, but good thinking on Massey's behalf though.

I see one of the u 18,s has already left for regular game time at a bigger club . Could there be more to follow ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mattelot said:

I see one of the u 18,s has already left for regular game time at a bigger club . Could there be more to follow ?

Some might look at the transfer almost as a “loan out” so he’s getting game time!

Probably good solution for both all three parties - the two clubs and the player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blues10 said:

Mistaken identity there Timmy.

Come on Timmy - if you’re going to post info, don’t get it wrong!

Helston twitter account:-

“65 gone. As we were. Ref has had a moment of madness and booked Flack for simulation after being floored by a body check you’d expect to see in The Royal Rumble.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Come on Timmy - if you’re going to post info, don’t get it wrong!

Helston twitter account:-

“65 gone. As we were. Ref has had a moment of madness and booked Flack for simulation after being floored by a body check you’d expect to see in The Royal Rumble.”

Apologies.  Rain played havoc with my glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Some might look at the transfer almost as a “loan out” so he’s getting game time!

Probably good solution for both all three parties - the two clubs and the player. 

So why are these players not being passed onto the reserves who play in the St Pirans league also senior football, beggars the question is Helston a club or just about the first team? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Smiler said:

So why are these players not being passed onto the reserves who play in the St Pirans league also senior football, beggars the question is Helston a club or just about the first team? 

We all know the answer to that.  Similar to the reason why Bodmin haven’t got a reserve side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TimmyRaa said:

We all know the answer to that.  Similar to the reason why Bodmin haven’t got a reserve side

When it works well it's great for a club, look at AFC St Austell - The best reserve side in the county! players move in between the 2 seamlessly .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mattelot said:

I see one of the u 18,s has already left for regular game time at a bigger club . Could there be more to follow ?

He never got game time anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

Will there be highlights from this game?

JW

I would doubt it.  Didn’t see any cameras there, and if there were, I’m sure they’d have given up with all the rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Looking at Steve's twitter page there is a hint of sarcasm after last night's defeat. Worth a read!

Love him or hate him, you can't fault his passion. 

Leeds - as you rightly say, no one can question Mr Massey passion or knowledge, but as you have also often said about Gilby at Bodmin - Silverware counts and for the ‘alleged’ money being spent - it has not been the all conquering season that many (including myself) predicted - the league should be theirs but Saltash have strikers who on a firmer pitch than last night could cause Helston real problems in the two games they have to play. For me it’s a two horse race - which is by no means over yet - good luck to them both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Leeds - as you rightly say, no one can question Mr Massey passion or knowledge, but as you have also often said about Gilby at Bodmin - Silverware counts and for the ‘alleged’ money being spent - it has not been the all conquering season that many (including myself) predicted - the league should be theirs but Saltash have strikers who on a firmer pitch than last night could cause Helston real problems in the two games they have to play. For me it’s a two horse race - which is by no means over yet - good luck to them both. 

All conquering season? League tables rarely lie so don't think they are doing too bad but a long way to go though. As for strikers - the Helston No.10 - can't remember his name - isn't bad either...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, le boss said:

All conquering season? League tables rarely lie so don't think they are doing too bad but a long way to go though. As for strikers - the Helston No.10 - can't remember his name - isn't bad either...….

All Conquering Season 

 

Fa Cup - DNQ 

Fa Vase - Out 

Senior Cup - Out 

League Cup - Out 

Charity Cup - Semi final ( not much to shout about)

well positioned in the league Currently .   
 

The league title is still all to play for, Helston have a big 3 weeks now playing the top sides. 
 

I still think any of the top 4 can win it. If helston win it then fair enough. However it isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy that for all the alleged Money being spent, Helston could end up with NOTHING.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Hetty said:

All Conquering Season 

 

Fa Cup - DNQ 

Fa Vase - Out 

Senior Cup - Out 

League Cup - Out 

Charity Cup - Semi final ( not much to shout about)

well positioned in the league Currently .   
 

The league title is still all to play for, Helston have a big 3 weeks now playing the top sides. 
 

I still think any of the top 4 can win it. If helston win it then fair enough. However it isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy that for all the alleged Money being spent, Helston could end up with NOTHING.   

You really are bitter. Did Mr Massey pinch your football when you were younger? Those three weeks start after this Saturday I suppose - playing the top sides as you put it😉 Think the league was always the target I suspect to try and obtain promotion? Unlike some eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hetty said:

All Conquering Season 

 

Fa Cup - DNQ 

Fa Vase - Out 

Senior Cup - Out 

League Cup - Out 

Charity Cup - Semi final ( not much to shout about)

well positioned in the league Currently .   
 

The league title is still all to play for, Helston have a big 3 weeks now playing the top sides. 
 

I still think any of the top 4 can win it. If helston win it then fair enough. However it isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy that for all the alleged Money being spent, Helston could end up with NOTHING.   

 

3 hours ago, Hetty said:

All Conquering Season 

 

Fa Cup - DNQ 

Fa Vase - Out 

Senior Cup - Out 

League Cup - Out 

Charity Cup - Semi final ( not much to shout about)

well positioned in the league Currently .   
 

The league title is still all to play for, Helston have a big 3 weeks now playing the top sides. 
 

I still think any of the top 4 can win it. If helston win it then fair enough. However it isn’t beyond the realms of fantasy that for all the alleged Money being spent, Helston could end up with NOTHING.   

My money is still on Saltash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a sign of the times - Saltash won the vote for Team of the Week on the SWPL site for effectively beating Helston, as opposed to Helston who came second for an outstanding record breaking run of 18 straight wins in the league - and that with SM’s great use of social media. I have said it before (not as a hater), maybe Helston need to look at how they engage with local football supporters across the County to get more behind them, even as a ‘second club’  (I am a Camels supporter but still go and watch St Austell, Sticker and other teams when they are not playing) or maybe they really don’t care, which would be a great shame for a team looking to move through the leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Matt Cusack discussing the team of the week; 

 

'' I’m absolutely delighted to win Team of the Week and fully expected to beat Helston to that award. Regardless of their achievement in the league the award is for Team of the Week, so in the past week we have beaten Helston and Callington: we have had the best results and we should be winning that. Credit to everyone for the award because it was a real team effort. "

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hetty said:

 Matt Cusack discussing the team of the week; 

 

'' I’m absolutely delighted to win Team of the Week and fully expected to beat Helston to that award. Regardless of their achievement in the league the award is for Team of the Week, so in the past week we have beaten Helston and Callington: we have had the best results and we should be winning that. Credit to everyone for the award because it was a real team effort. "

 

 

Any team that has beaten a side that has notched up 18 consecutive league wins fully deserves Team of The Week in my eyes.

Out of interest what reward does a club receive for winning ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leroy said:

Any team that has beaten a side that has notched up 18 consecutive league wins fully deserves Team of The Week in my eyes.

Out of interest what reward does a club receive for winning ? 

 

Absolutely nothing !!! Apart from some good press !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hetty said:

 Matt Cusack discussing the team of the week; 

 

'' I’m absolutely delighted to win Team of the Week and fully expected to beat Helston to that award. Regardless of their achievement in the league the award is for Team of the Week, so in the past week we have beaten Helston and Callington: we have had the best results and we should be winning that. Credit to everyone for the award because it was a real team effort. "

 

 

And I would say that I seriously think that you will win the senior cup after looking at today’s quarter final draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Perhaps a sign of the times - Saltash won the vote for Team of the Week on the SWPL site for effectively beating Helston, as opposed to Helston who came second for an outstanding record breaking run of 18 straight wins in the league - and that with SM’s great use of social media. I have said it before (not as a hater), maybe Helston need to look at how they engage with local football supporters across the County to get more behind them, even as a ‘second club’  (I am a Camels supporter but still go and watch St Austell, Sticker and other teams when they are not playing) or maybe they really don’t care, which would be a great shame for a team looking to move through the leagues. 

Not trying to pick an argument with you but can you really justify those comments - Well done to Saltash for winning the vote but it would be interesting to know how many actually voted in the poll - i.e. can it really represent the demographic if only a few voted? As I have said, I am not demeaning Saltash's achievement but it does say something if they have been rewarded for beating their closest league rivals when clearly there is little between the teams. 

With regards to how Helston, as a club, engage with local supporters, I don't think there is a club in the county that is better at offering the warmest of welcome to visiting fans and whilst the overall facilities might be better elsewhere, the club continually strive to improve the surroundings and the Chairman and his committee are extremely passionate about what they do and how they conduct themselves. Could it be that people get whipped up in this anti-Massey diatribe without any real reason? I know there are many players and supporters who feel they have been wronged by him as far as footballing matters are concerned but it is only that - football!! A lot of those shouting from the roof tops are players who have been told they are no longer required who actually feel they are better than they are only to go on and prove the Mr Massey was right all along - all players have a shelf life so get over yourselves eh fellas? I accept that he may be like marmite but you cannot deny he is his own man and will do things his way and maybe he has learnt a few lessons from perceived mistakes from the past? It wasn't long ago, under former managers, that criticism was levelled at the club by the way the players acted after a game - that seems to have been rectified at least.

 

As far as local supporters having a 'second club' - will never happen. I couldn't give two hoots how another Cornish club are doing no matter how high a league they are playing in and there are plenty on this forum who are exactly the same.

Be interesting to hear how you feel Helston could improve their engagement with local supporters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, le boss said:

Not trying to pick an argument with you but can you really justify those comments - Well done to Saltash for winning the vote but it would be interesting to know how many actually voted in the poll - i.e. can it really represent the demographic if only a few voted? As I have said, I am not demeaning Saltash's achievement but it does say something if they have been rewarded for beating their closest league rivals when clearly there is little between the teams. 

With regards to how Helston, as a club, engage with local supporters, I don't think there is a club in the county that is better at offering the warmest of welcome to visiting fans and whilst the overall facilities might be better elsewhere, the club continually strive to improve the surroundings and the Chairman and his committee are extremely passionate about what they do and how they conduct themselves. Could it be that people get whipped up in this anti-Massey diatribe without any real reason? I know there are many players and supporters who feel they have been wronged by him as far as footballing matters are concerned but it is only that - football!! A lot of those shouting from the roof tops are players who have been told they are no longer required who actually feel they are better than they are only to go on and prove the Mr Massey was right all along - all players have a shelf life so get over yourselves eh fellas? I accept that he may be like marmite but you cannot deny he is his own man and will do things his way and maybe he has learnt a few lessons from perceived mistakes from the past? It wasn't long ago, under former managers, that criticism was levelled at the club by the way the players acted after a game - that seems to have been rectified at least.

 

As far as local supporters having a 'second club' - will never happen. I couldn't give two hoots how another Cornish club are doing no matter how high a league they are playing in and there are plenty on this forum who are exactly the same.

Be interesting to hear how you feel Helston could improve their engagement with local supporters.

Le boss - it’s all about opinions and never one of arguments. Firstly I just find it strange (May just be me) that after reaching such a record breaking milestone of 18 straight wins and maybe more to come that out of a 1000 votes across the two counties people didn’t recognise that - I know Matt’s view is that it is a weekly vote but that was the week they achieved the record and to me that is indicative of an issue faced by Helston - by Helston I mean the first team (don’t think anyone can question Helston club, the youth set up, facilities or club members). It may be jealously / envy or the Steve Massey ‘effect’. I don’t follow twitter or know who on the forum may be ex players and have a gripe about him, there just seems a lot of negativity. 
I am sure if there was an easy way of getting more local support every club would be doing it - but there is a difference with Helston in that they have (vocally) set their goals a lot higher than most if not all, and may well achieve them. I would love to see both Helston and Saltash (as I think they will be top two) take promotion and show Cornish talent at a higher level but I do still think that doing that without any interest from outside of the 200+ loyal supporters will be a little hollow. If I were to offer a view (and it is personal and one you will no doubt not agree with) - I find the first team appear to have  an air of arrogance about them, a bit of humility in winning goes a long way. With their media ‘outlets’ give some credit to other teams, who are doing their best - even when out playing them, most supporters know when beaten by a better team and by doing so are more likely to give credit to the better team - you never hear Premier league managers say they are the best or their opponents poor - just a view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...