Cornwall Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Keith B

Advertising in televised football.

I find it ironic and not a little annoying, that the main sponsorship/advertising companies for the Premier League, are betting companies. There was talk towards the end of last season in Government circles, that there should be a limit or ban on sponsorship from betting companies. Rather than limitations or bans, there seems to be more adverts by betting companies, BET 365 for example, than ever before.

Some seasons back, there was a fear of Chinese betting conglomerates controlling or flooding the sports arenas with money for participants who were prepared to influence or throw a match, so that the betting moguls could reap vast revenue from match fixing. How is it then that the Football Association allow the main sponsorship to come mainly from betting companies (yes and TV rights) ?

Looking at it from another angle - the National dept is astronomical. Compulsive gambling is a growing and worrying illness. People should surely be steered away from gambling - not encouraged. I know yes, people should be free to spend their money how they wish but - the National dept ??

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

It’s more double standards!!  They’ll take the money the betting companies give them but won’t take the responsibility for people’s problems 

Very true Darren - sad but true. 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 16:30, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You can lose your shirt, your house, your family the lot...but you can't have a fag in the ground. 

Double standards ...lol

Know people who have got into serious trouble using apps to bet via their phones, at least when you went into a bookies you had a sense of money leaving your pocket (and never returning). As my Grandad once said to me , a bookmakers shop has three windows for paying in and only one for paying out. That's all you need to know.

Does annoy me when you see the adverts that are on the telly, especially the ones showing the group of mates down the pub enhancing their fun by betting on the match. The normalisation of an addiction that can ruin lives.

The gambling industry is just one huge double standard. All the adverts about responsible gambling are simply to appease any government watchdog groups. What most punters don't know is that if you start to beat a bookmaker they will restrict/limit or outright refuse you service. 

This obviously isn't a concern for most as the majority will simply lose money in the long run, but the exploitative stance of the bookmakers really winds me up personally. Quite happy to take £5 accumulator "mug bets" with awful odds, every weekend from some young lad. But they'll run for the hills if you do bet intelligently and responsibly.

Also, it costs Sky £11m per game in terms of fees to the Premier League and given the main viewing demographic will be something like males aged under 30 (just a guess) the gambling advertisement money seems an easy go to. So it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. The more demand/viewers there are, the more competitive the £ fees will be and the more Sky will be paid by gambling companies to gain this exposure. 

Final point I'll make is that companies like bet365 are absolutely massive. They operate on 25% margins that only a drug dealer would turn their nose up at and as a result they have huge financial clout and influence. In short, these adverts won't be going away any time soon unless people either stop watching or stop betting.

I could rattle on all day about these companies but I'll leave it at that for now. 

Oh and so today, the Daily Telegraph headline is that - The FA refuse to rip up betting firm deals. Apparently the Government demanded that football severs ties with Bet 365 and the FA refused !

Come on then Boris, flex your muscles - hit the FA hard and ban all betting companies from financing football on TV  !!   

Betting companies are a curse on the Nation and should be treated as such, in my opinion. 

On 03/01/2020 at 15:39, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I know an awful lot of people who gamble on their phones, they're quick to tell you their winnings...but I've never been told their losses!

So true

4 hours ago, Keith B said:

Oh and so today, the Daily Telegraph headline is that - The FA refuse to rip up betting firm deals. Apparently the Government demanded that football severs ties with Bet 365 and the FA refused !

Come on then Boris, flex your muscles - hit the FA hard and ban all betting companies from financing football on TV  !!   

Betting companies are a curse on the Nation and should be treated as such, in my opinion. 

I’ll give you 3/1 that they/he won’t. Boris knows that money makes the world go around, and that his government gets an awfully big slice of it!

38 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I’ll give you 3/1 that they/he won’t. Boris knows that money makes the world go around, and that his government gets an awfully big slice of it!

I fear you're right Bruegel - but hope you're not. If the Government ''demanded'' the FA to sever ties with the betting companies, surely they must back their demand up - or why make the demand ?

18 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

He will turn out to be a Bullingdon bully...I have no doubt about that!

I hope you're both wrong gents .. we've got him for the next four years or so.

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Neither,  Boris is not his name, he chose that to sound stupid...and it works!🤡

Along with the hair style ☺️. You mean you didn't vote for Boris older ???  Rhetorical question - don't answer sir.  

The market is so cut throat,  QPR sponsor Royal Panda has just announced they will cease UK trading at the end of this month. Will be interesting to see who the next sponsor will be, also whether the name on the shirt disappears in February. If they pull out of the deal and stop paying their contractual payments this will impact on FFP. Rangers are running close to the wind already financially, and still paying their previous FFP fine off. Having said all that, spare a thought for the guys and gals who have been caught up with a spiralling addiction,  because all money comes out their accounts electronically it is so hard to keep track. Out of control betting destroys families. The FA should grow a pair and have new rules limiting bookmakers involvement in Football the problem comes if they ban all Gambling sponsorship some clubs could fold .

Edited by Just a fan

In today's Telegraph, they report that the FA's controversial deal to allow betting companies to screen FA Cup matches on a so called 'bet - to - view' basis is under investigation, along with the whole matter of betting companies sponsoring sport in general. Hooray - not before time. 

However, the 71 English Football League teams are protesting because they stand to lose £40 million in sponsorship. So it's sod the weak minded souls who are hooked on gambling and who are in great debt through this weakness/illness - just keep giving us the money.

Again you're right older - sadly.

On 11/01/2020 at 11:24, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

They banned cigarette advertising, didn't make a lot of difference. 

Betting and particularly alcohol advertising continues without hardly a peep.

People do what they want to do regardless of legislation. 

Don't necessarily agree regarding the cigarette advertising. Smoking is well down on what it was 30 years ago (think it is now around 4% of the adult population who indulge). Remember overflowing ash trays on desks at work, smoke filled pubs, cinemas and airplanes.

The three pronged approach of education, pricing and making it inconvenient through not allowing it in buildings and public spaces has worked.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't necessarily agree regarding the cigarette advertising. Smoking is well down on what it was 30 years ago (think it is now around 4% of the adult population who indulge). Remember overflowing ash trays on desks at work, smoke filled pubs, cinemas and airplanes.

The three pronged approach of education, pricing and making it inconvenient through not allowing it in buildings and public spaces has worked.

Dont think advertising made any difference, the other two yes.

They indulge in other recreational drugs now, nicotine doesn't quite cut it anymore! and booze themselves senseless.

No pricing control on alchohol or pictures of damaged livers, wonder why? Big big money for the government. 

Where can't you buy booze today? Even in motorway service stations. Smokers kill themselves, boozers can kill anybody.

Which is worse?

A boring fenman story but there is a point to it regarding betting  , I think .

In the late 90's   just before I retired from the Police and had to get a proper job , a new radio system was introduced . Keith B you may remember it . This system was really advanced technology at the time . The control room had the facility to make the radio live even though it was turned off , they could also locate the radio and user to the nearest yard . Mobile phones were relatively new but some of us were issued with pagers , which seemed incredible devices at the time . I spent a time working on the South Coast attached to what my mother in law always called Customers and Exercise , the technical equipment they had was incredibly advanced . Working with us was what we in Norfolk would call " a clever bugger with electrics " but the rest of the world would call a boffin . He was responsible for the Customs devices . During conversations to relieve the boredom he said that one day in the near future the use of satellites and advanced microprocessors would mean that people could programme their vehicle to direct them to where they were going . They would be able through a much , much smaller mobile device send photo's . access all sorts of information and so on . They could sit in their lounge and order all of their shopping via this device and he said , sort of tongue in cheek ,the lazy ones will be able to order their beer and fags and put bets on with their bookie without moving from the settee .

At the time , and bear in mind this was only 25 years ago a relatively miniscule time in  the life of mankind , this seemed a bit far fetched .But he was right  , it's all happened sat nav , on line shopping and so on  The betting companies have latched onto this and I know of people who go to Norwich City games and put bets on the first booking or the first corner . Within a group  fuelled with a couple of pints , a loss on the first booking leads to one more bet on the next goal scorer and so on   .One of the problems is that the person putting the bet on loses track of how much he's spent during the game . Some of them much have a horrible cold feeling when they sober up a bit and see their card accounts  In the Far East this is almost an epidemic

On 19/01/2020 at 12:01, fenman said:

A boring fenman story but there is a point to it regarding betting  , I think .

In the late 90's   just before I retired from the Police and had to get a proper job , a new radio system was introduced . Keith B you may remember it . This system was really advanced technology at the time . The control room had the facility to make the radio live even though it was turned off , they could also locate the radio and user to the nearest yard . Mobile phones were relatively new but some of us were issued with pagers , which seemed incredible devices at the time . I spent a time working on the South Coast attached to what my mother in law always called Customers and Exercise , the technical equipment they had was incredibly advanced . Working with us was what we in Norfolk would call " a clever bugger with electrics " but the rest of the world would call a boffin . He was responsible for the Customs devices . During conversations to relieve the boredom he said that one day in the near future the use of satellites and advanced microprocessors would mean that people could programme their vehicle to direct them to where they were going . They would be able through a much , much smaller mobile device send photo's . access all sorts of information and so on . They could sit in their lounge and order all of their shopping via this device and he said , sort of tongue in cheek ,the lazy ones will be able to order their beer and fags and put bets on with their bookie without moving from the settee .

At the time , and bear in mind this was only 25 years ago a relatively miniscule time in  the life of mankind , this seemed a bit far fetched .But he was right  , it's all happened sat nav , on line shopping and so on  The betting companies have latched onto this and I know of people who go to Norwich City games and put bets on the first booking or the first corner . Within a group  fuelled with a couple of pints , a loss on the first booking leads to one more bet on the next goal scorer and so on   .One of the problems is that the person putting the bet on loses track of how much he's spent during the game . Some of them much have a horrible cold feeling when they sober up a bit and see their card accounts  In the Far East this is almost an epidemic

I meant to come back on this the other day - so you didn't see the police force as a proper job fenman ?

Yes Keith I did , it's just that I've got a different sense of humour than most people , all inspired by the Marx Brothers , W.C. Fields and Tommy Cooper . Looking back I had an incredibly interesting life , doing things and meeting people who I never would have dreamt about  before I joined  . One of the things that I still ponder is the options I had in my life where opportunities arose and I gambled  and made the right choice . I suppose most of us look back and say " why did that opportunity  come when it did ?"

32 minutes ago, fenman said:

Yes Keith I did , it's just that I've got a different sense of humour than most people , all inspired by the Marx Brothers , W.C. Fields and Tommy Cooper . Looking back I had an incredibly interesting life , doing things and meeting people who I never would have dreamt about  before I joined  . One of the things that I still ponder is the options I had in my life where opportunities arose and I gambled  and made the right choice . I suppose most of us look back and say " why did that opportunity  come when it did ?"

Old geezer reminiscing...lol

2 hours ago, fenman said:

During my time in the job fenman, I never met a copper who didn't have that different sense of humour. Gallows humour etc, I guess you had to possess it to get through it all. You see and experience things most human beings never see, fortunately for them, some things nobody should have to see. Fire fighters see some terrible sights too and the ambulance service of course. Bless em all - should double their pay in my book.