Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Saturday, 28 December 2019

EAST

Lanreath                                   2-2              Callington Town Reserves

Launceston Reserves               0-1             AFC St Austell Reserves

Saltash Borough                       5-1             Liskeard Athletic Reserves

St Dennis Reserves                  P-P            Saltash United Reserves

St Mawgan                              2-0              Sticker Reserves

Torpoint Athletic Reserves       2-5             Millbrook Reserves

Wadebridge Town Reserves    1-6             Polperro

WEST

Perranporth            No game               Redruth United  (Game not going ahead)

St Agnes                                   2-1          Mousehole Reserves

St Ives Town                               3-1              Hayle

St Agnes 2-1 Mousehole

I took in St Agnes vs Mousehole today after arriving at Perranporth to find the game cancelled. 

Pretty even first half, both teams playing some good football in a biting cross field wind.  Aggie edged possesion and territory in the first half but Mousehole had the better chances with some good counter attacking play and forcing the Aggie keeper into making a couple of fantastic saves.

0-0 at half time.

2nd half and not long into the half the first goal came following some sustained pressure by Aggie, a cracking save from the Mousehole keeper lead to what looked like the clearance being smashed against an Aggie player and the ball bouncing off his shins and up into the net.  Simply put, it was a fluke.

Not long after this, Danny O probably with one of the misses of his career, the ball falling to his feet 6 yards from the goal in the middle of the Mousehole box, taking a touch and with the goal at his mercy smashes it high and wide.  The reaction of all players, managers and spectators said it all.

The Mousehole equaliser came 10 minutes later with a pacey curling dipping free kick into the box on the angle from distance which the aggie keeper could only parry onto the bar and the rebound falling to the Mousehole striker to tap home.

Mousehole then lifted their game and started to make the Aggie defence turn and eventually being awarded a penalty on 88 minutes which the Aggie keeper heroically saved.  Play then turns and the ball is straight up the other end and Aggie win a free kick on the edge of the box at an angle near the byline. The ball is blasted in across the box only for it to find an Aggie player at the back of the six yard box to volley home from close range.  Restart is taken and after 30 seconds or so the the Reff blows up for full time.

Aggie deserved the win overall but were made to work for it.  Was a good watch even in a freezing cold wind.  Reff got all the decisions right, quiet game for him really and went by pretty much unnoticed which is always a good sign in my eyes.

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Player power?

Club shouldn't have those players in it, Have players who are playing for the club and wanting to play at the highest level is what's needed, No player is better than a club!

6 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Nope, shortage of players nearly everywhere! 

Well ran club's with youth set ups don't really see a shortage if ran correctly.

We have used 34 players this season and cannot get any consistency. We have 5 16year olds involved in both sides and from our youth set up our oldest are u15's. Their are 5 divisions between our two sides sometimes it's too big a gap and players don't feel confident enough to step up. Over the last 3 seasons we have had to rebuild the first team twice. Results have not gone our way and it's not so easy to recruit players because of that. Nobody is more upset than us that we could not fulfill yesterday's game but hopefully we can regroup and go again next week. We are determined to build our club and provide football for the youth of Redruth. Thanks for all your concerns but Rome was not built in a day. Martin Eddy

1 hour ago, bigbadbarry said:

St day , illogan, helston, redruth Utd and wendron with all great youth set ups and they will all only benefit from it 

Yes. Good set ups, but there is a drought of players and it will get worse and affect everyone.

It's not only in football but across the board.

We used to have 4 teams, the rugby club and cricket club had 4 teams, now our 3 local clubs can only put out two teams each, the interest in all local sport is on the wane and its unstoppable. 

Eventually all those clubs with these set ups will have players poached by others and will struggle with all the others to maintain numbers.

St Ives v Hayle was totally ruined by the ref, from the start you could see it was going to be a proper derby match, good hard tackles going in and both teams trying to play football on the worst pitch in the county. Second half the ref seemed to take a dislike to hayle giving free kicks for perfectly good tackles. Yellows flowed followed by a red and when questioned didn't seem to know some of the rules. Shocking display.

13 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Yes. Good set ups, but there is a drought of players and it will get worse and affect everyone.

It's not only in football but across the board.

We used to have 4 teams, the rugby club and cricket club had 4 teams, now our 3 local clubs can only put out two teams each, the interest in all local sport is on the wane and its unstoppable. 

Eventually all those clubs with these set ups will have players poached by others and will struggle with all the others to maintain numbers.

Yes player's will leave and hopefully better themselves but if the youth is run correctly player's will keep coming through.

2 hours ago, CentreHalf83 said:

St Ives v Hayle was totally ruined by the ref, from the start you could see it was going to be a proper derby match, good hard tackles going in and both teams trying to play football on the worst pitch in the county. Second half the ref seemed to take a dislike to hayle giving free kicks for perfectly good tackles. Yellows flowed followed by a red and when questioned didn't seem to know some of the rules. Shocking display.

Seems a serious lack of discipline at Hayle. Watched them a few times this season and I've seen some horrendous tackles being made from their players! 

6 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Seems a serious lack of discipline at Hayle. Watched them a few times this season and I've seen some horrendous tackles being made from their players! 

Don't say that... I'm in the middle for the game in Saturday against Ludgvan!

I'll look forward to the criticism I receive on here for the way they behave, eh ;)

To be fair... I've never had any problems reffing Penwith Exiles and if I'm right, quite a few of their old players play at Hayle so I'd expect them to act respectively towards me, like they've done on the previous three occasions that I've taken charge of their games.

When I saw "St Ives Town v Hayle", I automatically expected the referee to be busy!

53 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Don't say that... I'm in the middle for the game in Saturday against Ludgvan!

I'll look forward to the criticism I receive on here for the way they behave, eh ;)

To be fair... I've never had any problems reffing Penwith Exiles and if I'm right, quite a few of their old players play at Hayle so I'd expect them to act respectively towards me, like they've done on the previous three occasions that I've taken charge of their games.

When I saw "St Ives Town v Hayle", I automatically expected the referee to be busy!

why did you expect the ref to be busy ? 

Any updates on the St Mawgan game? from what we have heard the season of good will didn't extend as far as St Mawgan with both teams having players sent off, two for St Mawgan and one for Sticker, plus enough yellows to pay for the C.C.F.A. New Years party.
Perhaps the ref forgot to send any cards for Christmas, and decided to hand some out at St Mawgan ! 😜

Not funny really, whatevers gone wrong with the game?

37 minutes ago, We Two said:

Any updates on the St Mawgan game? from what we have heard the season of good will didn't extend as far as St Mawgan with both teams having players sent off, two for St Mawgan and one for Sticker, plus enough yellows to pay for the C.C.F.A. New Years party.
Perhaps the ref forgot to send any cards for Christmas, and decided to hand some out at St Mawgan ! 😜

Not funny really, whatevers gone wrong with the game?

Same referee who sent off two and cautioned plenty in the Falmouth Res v Penryn game on Boxing Day and I believe abandoned a game due to sending off/sin binning 5 players on one team recently too.

3 hours ago, Laws of the Game said:

Same referee who sent off two and cautioned plenty in the Falmouth Res v Penryn game on Boxing Day and I believe abandoned a game due to sending off/sin binning 5 players on one team recently too.

As a referee, is it not frowned upon for you to make such comments about a fellow colleague? Whilst not offensive, it's rather derogatory that you'd bring up this information which would clearly cast the ref in question in a negative light? 

If the referee in question has sent off 5 players, I'm going to guess they deserved it? I've only been reffing for three years however, I've played for 16 and I've never seen a referee send players off for no reason... I've certainly seen my share of "harsh" red cards (may have even dished 1 or 2 out myself), however, there's always been a reason for a red card.

7 minutes ago, willy7 said:

Well the club I'm involved in each youth team has long waiting lists for kids to join so can't really agree with you on that.

It will be a few years but it will happen.

When the dads who never played start having children it will start the decline I believe.

But we can agree to have different views buddy:)

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Yes and if you add in the old St Just team (prior to their withdrawing) . . . . !

Some seasons ago, one evening playing St Ives at the Saltings, there were four red cards ( two players from each side and one or two bookings).

There's rivalry for you. Can't remember the result now - I think it was won by the odd goal, but can't remember who won it. Think it was the Tinners, but I wouldn't swear to it. Getting old.

Yeah two red cards a piece and the 4 blokes who got sent off all having a laugh and a chat  on the sidelines (like best mates)  while the rest of the game was being played.

Would be interesting to see referee stats....the premier league and football leagues release this information.  Games refereed, yellow/red cards given etc..

Surely its possible.....i can see how many games Joe Bloggs has started and how many assists he has had in Trelawny 2 for Lizard 2nds!

JW