Cornwall Football Forum

social media etc.

fenman

Following the recent events at Manchester City where a player posted a cartoon  to a fellow player and was fined  and the ex player who had to apologise for a twitter comment he posted about Liverpool fans  , what goes through the mind of people to broadcast these things to the world . If you have an " in " joke with a close colleague why do you have to post it on social media for the world to see knowing full well ( if you got a brain )  that the content could be offensive to someone other than the recipient ? Is it an ego thing . I worked in an environment where colleagues would constantly rib each other with remarks that were a means of relieving tension and nobody took offense but these remarks were kept in house and no offence was taken . Nobody would dream of saying this in earshot of the public and they certainly wouldn't be posted on a media site , but in modern society it seems that you must let the world share it .

Perhaps I'm ancient and was brought up in a generation  of different standards and manners  and that's why I struggle to understand modern life . As for the recent incidents of racial abuse , again I struggle to understand firstly how anyone could abuse anyone of a different colour , race , religion etc. and secondly so dim  as to do it in front of cameras broadcasting to millions of people round the world . It really puts this country to shame .

I probably come from the same era as yourself, and the social media phenomenon intrigues, baffles and repulses me in equal measures. In todays society however the workplace can be an absolute minefield regarding comments to colleagues. I sometimes wonder where it will all end.

Racial abuse is nothing new however, personally I think as a whole we are a far more tolerant society than we were.

Football grounds appear to be places where certain people seem to think that they can behave beyond the boundaries of a polite, normal society. The bile and hate spouted at football grounds is appears to be common place. I'm no shrinking violet but some of what I've heard at grounds disgusts me

I agree that  the actions of these individuals are shameful, but I don't see it as shaming our country. They certainly shame themselves though.

The Italian sports newspaper that recently printed a headline " Black Friday " because Roma ( Smalling ) and Inter ( Lukaku ) were in opposition that day is IMHO far more shaming and atypical of a countrys problems

2 hours ago, Brianmooreshead said:

.Football grounds appear to be places where certain people seem to think that they can behave beyond the boundaries of a polite, normal society. The bile and hate spouted at football grounds is appears to be common place. I'm no shrinking violet but some of what I've heard at grounds disgusts me

As a referee, too many times I've had to say to players "Would you talk to a stranger on the street in this manner"?

It seems the okay and right thing to do.

I worked on the line to a referee this season who told me to "take whatever they throw at you - just take it"... There lies one of the issues. Respect at that moment diminished. Why should we (as players, managers, refs and spectators) have to take it?

When Fred approached that corner at the Etihad at the weekend, did you see the reaction of that group of "fans"? Monkey chant aside, you could hear the swearing and just see the hatred being thrown towards him just because he was wearing red. Society really does hack me off sometimes. Football has this natural ability to turn even the nicest of people into absolute morons with no respect!

I watched a TV program on internet trolls, and someone on there said, "If you can't say it to someone's face, don't post it on social media". 

I find the worst of it on the football pages. I keep up with Spurs (mainly because my Dad is a fan, and he refuses to go near/touch modern tech), Crystal Palace, and QPR.

I think some "foreign" football fans act like the football fans from the 70's/80's, and have the 70's/80's attitudes.

Recently, the top clubs were promoting Stonewall's Rainbow Laces Campaign. Someone posted a comment on the Palace page, which I responded to. I was my usual polite self, and told this person that all of the top clubs were doing it. In return, I got called the "c" word. Someone else posted after me, and he threatened to kill them! ...It was surreal.

On a whole, some of the comments over those three pages, for Rainbow Laces, were pretty disgusting. 

I hate social media, but I follow too much stuff to just drop it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 02:00, Devils@Dusk said:

I watched a TV program on internet trolls, and someone on there said, "If you can't say it to someone's face, don't post it on social media". 

I find the worst of it on the football pages. I keep up with Spurs (mainly because my Dad is a fan, and he refuses to go near/touch modern tech), Crystal Palace, and QPR.

I think some "foreign" football fans act like the football fans from the 70's/80's, and have the 70's/80's attitudes.

Recently, the top clubs were promoting Stonewall's Rainbow Laces Campaign. Someone posted a comment on the Palace page, which I responded to. I was my usual polite self, and told this person that all of the top clubs were doing it. In return, I got called the "c" word. Someone else posted after me, and he threatened to kill them! ...It was surreal.

On a whole, some of the comments over those three pages, for Rainbow Laces, were pretty disgusting. 

I hate social media, but I follow too much stuff to just drop it.

The whole "rainbow laces" thing is a bit of virtue signalling that I find particularly annoying. It smacks of box ticking by a sport where it still pretty much impossible for a player to go public, and where one of the top clubs is owned by a royal from a country in which homosexuality is still illegal and punishable by the death penalty.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

The whole "rainbow laces" thing is a bit of virtue signalling that I find particularly annoying. It smacks of box ticking by a sport where it still pretty much impossible for a player to go public, and where one of the top clubs is owned by a royal from a country in which homosexuality is still illegal and punishable by the death penalty.

Couldn't agree more mate

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

They have the lettering wrong.

LGBT or whatever it is, it should have NHP on the end.

Normal Heterosexual People as well, seems to me we are being victimised!...lol

And since when have Heterosexual People been normalFar, Far, from it, in my (extensive) experience

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 12:39, cornishteddyboy said:

I would fear to work in an environment where brushing past someone, putting your hand on the shoulder of someone, leaning over someone's shoulder to look at a screen is called sexual contact/harassment as seems to happen according to newspaper reports. . 

Where a comment you made 20 years ago, comes back to haunt you.

And even one from two months ago CTB!

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Please explain Bruegel  🙂 ?

Well Keith, much depends on your definition of normality. There are some really weird heterosexuals out there as well as some real normal folk. For Older's suggestion to work, the N for normal would have to come at the front (I.e. NLGBT&HP) thus excluding the weirdos’ of all persuasions!

49 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

And even one from two months ago CTB!

Well Keith, much depends on your definition of normality. There are some really weird heterosexuals out there as well as some real normal folk. For Older's suggestion to work, the N for normal would have to come at the front (I.e. NLGBT&HP) thus excluding the weirdos’ of all persuasions!

I like that👍