Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay u18 vs Helston u18 qtr final

Watched a great match this afternoon Hel ston where really good and won 5-3 or 4-3 , and they had players who have played in the Helston 1st team in Alex Wharton ,Harrison Jewell , Jack Jones and the best player on the pitch Lewis TONKIN hes was superb .Newquay came out in the 2nd half and scored 3 quick goals 1 was a brilliant strike from distance which beat the young goalie who played in the 2nd half .There was 1 funny incident that i found funny and so did Mr Massey the Helston no7 said he couldnt play any longer because his hands where so cold and he needed some gloves to play on he was very thin though . I was sitting behing Steve Massey i was going to ask if i could take his photo but i dont like to disturb people maybe i can get a photo of him when he picks up the league championship cup ,and also another cup i did hav a quick word with him about HELSTONS win yesterday and OLLIE being mom but i do wish i got his photo for my album . Helston have a lot of good youngsters thre for the future didnt see much in the Newquay side really but they did get 3 goals but the goalie was very small and 2 sailed over his head

15 hours ago, Hetty said:

The youth pathway is a complete myth at Helston. Look at the players that have been signed for the first team.   Where is last years crop of youngsters gone? 

Steve Massey was shouting from the roof tops about how many were in the first team? 

He has to at any costs win the Division this season after the 20/20 vision quote ... He obviously feels he can't do that with the local lads so he spending to get the big hitters in from Bideford ( his choice & aslong at it brings success ) that's what he will be judged on. 

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 13:37, leedsunited said:

He has to at any costs win the Division this season after the 20/20 vision quote ... He obviously feels he can't do that with the local lads so he spending to get the big hitters in from Bideford ( his choice & aslong at it brings success ) that's what he will be judged on. 

Difficult balancing act.  Steve Massey's first responsibility is to the on the field success of the club, but also wants to secure the long term future with the youth policy he has put in place. He has previously spoken about constantly being on the look out for players that can come in and improve on what he has, and also not wanting to put too much pressure on the young players he has coming through. Perhaps some of the lads that aren't playing or have moved on simply aren't good enough either as players or individuals. Harsh I know, but sometimes star youngsters do plateau or fade way quite rapidly.

Always reminded of how former Arsenal player Gus Caesar was described in the book, Fever Pitch. " He was brilliant in his schools team to get into the area side, outstanding in the area side to get a trial with Arsenal, outstanding in his trial to get a youth contract, outstanding in the youth side to get a pro contract, outstanding in the reserves to get a first team chance. Where he's crap."