Cornwall Football Forum

What a shambles! This is the 4th time this season already they have called a game off through not being able to raise a side but they have 56 players registered to play!!!! Making a complete mockery of the ECPL.

What is the league doing about it? Can they do anything about it?

The G Army's battle cry used to be "we're only just a pub team" well am not even sure they are even that now.

Also heard the 1st team had to 'borrow' players again from local Duchy sides to fulfil their fixture at Launceston. Absolute joke....

It's becoming a joke and the league need to act.

I feel sorry for the hard working committee members at Godolphin who have given up a lot to get the club where they are, but that's the fourth time this season they have handed 3 points to the opposition - all away games I hasten to add. That's more than a quarter of their scheduled games.

The current rule around failing to fulfill fixtures is not fit for purpose. It benefits and punishes the wrong clubs, in the wrong way. Godolphin's inability to put a team on the field could decide championships, or relegations. That's not right, sorry.

6 hours ago, St George said:

What a shambles! This is the 4th time this season already they have called a game off through not being able to raise a side but they have 56 players registered to play!!!! Making a complete mockery of the ECPL.

What is the league doing about it? Can they do anything about it?

The G Army's battle cry used to be "we're only just a pub team" well am not even sure they are even that now.

Also heard the 1st team had to 'borrow' players again from local Duchy sides to fulfil their fixture at Launceston. Absolute joke....

I don't think those working hard behind the scenes at Godolphin see the situation as a joke!  I'm sure nobody will be laughing. It's also quite normal for struggling Clubs to have a large number of registered players; it reflects that they are trying their best to get a team together! Let's hope they can over-come the current difficulties.

When Newquay failed to field a team for two games when  in the combination league they were fined a lot of money and threatened  with expulsion

from the league , what rules do the ECPL follow.

The biggest problem in the Newquay area is to many teams and not enough committed players, I expect there are teams in other areas suffering the same problem.

Wow......so....should a side consistently  fail to raise a team for the entire season does this mean that at the end of the season, when they are minus, say 30 points, and bottom of the table, and with no deal in place any more with the Duchy League, that they retain their status in the ECPL?

Mad

12 hours ago, countyman said:

Wow......so....should a side consistently  fail to raise a team for the entire season does this mean that at the end of the season, when they are minus, say 30 points, and bottom of the table, and with no deal in place any more with the Duchy League, that they retain their status in the ECPL?

Mad

It happened to Madron - they went to -30 odd points. They continued to pay the £50 charge imposed on them so they couldn't get booted out because they were following rules. The Committee could of course call an EGM/SGM to put it to a club vote if they felt it was in the best interest for all.

Some Clubs are happy to throw the towel in - then others take the financial penalties whilst attempting to try and sort things out 

Godolphin are paying average 1st teamers just shy of £50 so why not pay the fine and try and regroup? I imagine that's what they are doing.

There are definitely too many teams, in most areas! Just look at the St Austell area, with 2x sides from StAustell, 2x Sticker, 2x Foxhole, 2x StDennis (recently used to be 3), 2x St Stephen, and recently Nanpean reformed. You can walk between some of those clubs and when a nucleus of players move from A to B it's no wonder clubs struggle.