Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League Results - Saturday 7th December 2019

League Results

Saturday 7th December 2019

Marazion 0-5 Hayle Reserves (Chris Bullock 3, Ollie Grant, Adam Ashwin)

Att - 20

Pendeen Rovers (Alex Ralph 2, Silas Sullivan) 3-1 Helston Athletic Thirds (William Macmelkan)

Att - 30

Porthleven Reserves (Ashley Stidwell) 1-0 Wendron United Thirds

Att - 40

RNAS Culdrose (Dan Quirke 2, Jimmy Marriott) 3-0 Ruan Minor

Att - 35

Rosudgeon (Ben Fletcher 3, Sam Owen, Jullius Spurgeon, Joe McMullen) 6-0 St Agnes Reserves

Att - 69

St Day Reserves (Matt Wysocki 2, Sam Bradley 2) 4-3 Perranporth Reserves (Ross Sommerville 2, Luke Wort)

Att - 15

Is it just me or do Combo games not really interest anyone anymore? Contribution on these Combo threads used to be good, now we are lucky if we even get one report :( A massive shame really because (in my opinion), Grassroots football is where it's at.

One question I do have though and it's one that I'm asking purely with my Flexi League hat on... Should the Combo League be downgraded to a Junior League (by losing its status with Cornwall FC)? 

10 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Is it just me or do Combo games not really interest anyone anymore? Contribution on these Combo threads used to be good, now we are lucky if we even get one report :( A massive shame really because (in my opinion), Grassroots football is where it's at.

One question I do have though and it's one that I'm asking purely with my Flexi League hat on... Should the Combo League be downgraded to a Junior League (by losing its status with Cornwall FC)? 

Definitely. The standard is not as good as in previous eras and it should absolutely be classed as a Junior league. A prime example being that players registered with Combo league clubs are not (madly) allowed to play in the Flexi League.  This is depriving footballers (especially younger players) the opportunity to develop their games without the pressure that Saturday football brings!!

57 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Most of the stronger team's stepped up to the St.Pirans league so the standard has dropped and Res team's have stepped up, Like most things people only talk about there First team.🙄

1 hour ago, BAGMAN said:

Definitely. The standard is not as good as in previous eras and it should absolutely be classed as a Junior league. A prime example being that players registered with Combo league clubs are not (madly) allowed to play in the Flexi League.  This is depriving footballers (especially younger players) the opportunity to develop their games without the pressure that Saturday football brings!!

I completely agree with this statement. We have a clear rule that Senior players can not participate within the Flexi League, that rule will not be changed because we don't want teams of senior players coming in and smashing our teams (Dropship FC being a perfect example) who are mainly made up of non-saturday/regular playing players, it gets rid of all the enjoyment for them so there has to be a balance - we saw what happened when Mousehole joined us in the first ever phase/season!

Our senior player ruler is better than some league's however; I tried picking a side for my Sunday team this week for the County Cup...  I had to tell three of my players they couldn't play because of the "28-day" rule.  All three are fringe combo players who get 10 minutes a game if they are lucky.

I would really like to see the Combo League reclassified by the CFA to a Junior/recreational League (as the Football Pyramid dictates). 

I'd probably get a bit more interest in the Flexi League aswel - particularly the one held at Hayle which is where our rules are more relaxed (Penwith - maximum of four Saturday players in a team. Hayle - as many Saturday players as you like (but must be junior), so long as they try to adopt the league ethos).

Obviously my views are of my own (some might say selfish as it would benefit my league). 

The Flexi League was originally set up for non Saturday players to encourage players disenchanted with Saturday games, or only playing a few minutes per game. The Flexi League should be kept like this, as including Saturday players weakens Saturday teams as players will further pick and choose their games. I question whether the CCFA grant for the Flexi League should be paid as the league is not achieving what it was established for.

1 hour ago, Foot Loose 1 said:

The Flexi League was originally set up for non Saturday players to encourage players disenchanted with Saturday games, or only playing a few minutes per game. The Flexi League should be kept like this, as including Saturday players weakens Saturday teams as players will further pick and choose their games. I question whether the CCFA grant for the Flexi League should be paid as the league is not achieving what it was established for

The Penwith Flexi League has always been a maximum of four Saturday players only. That has never changed and will never change. It is a nice balance.

The Hayle Flexi League was set up this season and after months of searching for teams (forum users probably got fed up with the posts)... Only one Club came forward to join the league... And that's a club that I'm vice-chairman of! 

Unfortunately, just to get teams in we had to relax the ruling to as many junior Saturday players as the team wanted. It should be noted that we have 5 teams... Hayle - couldn't raise a side for any of the games. Lanner - played only a couple of Saturday players. FC Riviera - a team with 8 different nationalities - no Saturday players. Dropship FC - no Saturday players and Porthleven - also no Saturday players.

Whilst I relaxed the ruling in this division, the club's adopted the West Cornwall Flexi League (not the FA Flexi League) ethos and should be proud of that. It's also worth noting that we are the only Flexi League in the COUNTRY that enforces this type of restriction. There are no restrictions in the majority of the other Flexi League in the country with regards to player seniority - even the Cornwall FA-ran Flexi Leagues allow three senior players on the field at any one time. The Flexi league is actually there to get players playing midweek to combat the popularity of the small sided competitions. 

So, I would say out of all of those League's in this country, we are the ones most deserving of any form of grants. Our stats of getting players from Flexi League to Trelawny League speaks for itself. It would be nice to know where your source of information is from though citing that we are eligible for grants - we got a set-up grant in the first season to cover our costs - then the Football Association pulled the funding. We are a self funded league (we actually run at a loss and have to rely on our League Sponsor, Dropship.co.uk to enable us to break even) - all so that we can offer affordable football for all.

As the only working committee member (we have Matchday Coordinators but no-one else doing any of the admin), I'm glad you hold an interest and a little knowledge of the League. I've asked all the club's in the league if they'd like to come on the committee to help drive things forward - I've had 0 replies. Fancy getting involved?

Edited by Dave Bartlam

18 hours ago, willy7 said:

Managing is hard nowadays, Younger manager's who can get there mate's to play for them, Mr Fisher is just that bit older and hasn't got the pulling power as some younger managers.

Don’t really think it’s got much to do with pulling power . Players are to quick to jump ship when things starts going tits up . No commitment from players these days . (Well apart from my boys .) 3rds might be bottom but we have fun and everyone plays