Cornwall Football Forum

CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP - Saturday 30 November 2019

BOND TIMBER CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP, 3rd Round

St Just                       8-2            St Merryn (taken from below as nothing on FA site yet)

Stithians                   3-7            Bude Town Reserves 

Illogan RBL Reserves            P-P            Wendron United 4ths

Tintagel                    1-4            St Newlyn East

St Ann's Chapel     1-8            Polperro Reserves 

Mevagissey            P-P            Altarnon

St Breward              3-0            Probus

Penzance Reserves               3-0            Perranwell Reserves 

Lostwithiel               3-3            Camborne School Of Mines (aet, 3-3 at 90 mins. Lostwithiel win 4-3 on pens)

Threemilestone     P-P            Holman Sports Club

New Inn Titans      P-P            Mawnan

Gunnislake              1-0            St Columb Major

Penzance Reserves 3-0 Perranwell Reserves

The majority of the 24 people watching huddled inside the stand as they watched Perranwell give Penzance the hardest game they have had for several weeks. If any Perranwell supporters were watching they would admit, apart from making Pz keeper, Jamie Millard make one save in the first half, they did not look like scoring. 

Pz found the back of the net once in the first half, with Ryan Weeks scored after 23 mins. Perran defended doggedly keeping Pz down to long range shots, but conceded again in the 47th and 57th minutes, both scored by Luke Carroll.

As conditions worsened tackles were missed, tempers flared occasionally, with the referee calling a halt after 41 mins of the second half as neither side looked like scoring again.

1 hour ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Penzance Reserves 3-0 Perranwell Reserves

The majority of the 24 people watching huddled inside the stand as they watched Perranwell give Penzance the hardest game they have had for several weeks. If any Perranwell supporters were watching they would admit, apart from making Pz keeper, Jamie Millard make one save in the first half, they did not look like scoring. 

Pz found the back of the net once in the first half, with Ryan Weeks scored after 23 mins. Perran defended doggedly keeping Pz down to long range shots, but conceded again in the 47th and 57th minutes, both scored by Luke Carroll.

As conditions worsened tackles were missed, tempers flared occasionally, with the referee calling a halt after 41 mins of the second half as neither side looked like scoring again.

So two even halves of football weren’t played...? Does the result stand?

7 minutes ago, Titus Bramble said:

So two even halves of football weren’t played...? Does the result stand?

A very good question. The County will have to be consulted and they would make a decision.

Basically, this game was abandoned so it will either have to be replayed or the Competition (CCFA) award the game to one of the teams as per County Cup ruling 👀👀

8 hours ago, Pitty said:

Reverts to Blaythorne next week.........weather forecast for next week not to bad so fingers crossed should be ok 👍

Is that fact? If the game is called off twice it gets reversed?

Just now, Footballlover442 said:

Lostwithiel 3 Camborne school of mines 3 

Lostwithiel advance on penalty's 

😂😂😂

Losty 3 CSoM 3  losty then won 4-3 on Pens in the dark. This was a cracking game of football with CSoM 2-0 up at the break an playing some great, pacey football that w struggled to cope with. A rollicking from the gaffer at half time and a change to route one football saw us turn the deficit into a lead with Tom Mileham and Liam Rooney with 2 ( One a penalty). The game went from end to end and a mistake by me led to the equaliser and the need for extra time. Both teams went all out to win the game but in worsening light and frantic substitutions as injuries piled up the game finished 3-3 and on to the dreaded pens. We limped through to the next round when the last penalty was missed. CSoM played some quality stuff and were a pleasure to play against today. Sadly they did not have time to join us in the pub but hopefully they returned home safely and I wish them well for the rest of the season. Lads you were a credit to yourselves and The Trelawney League and I hope our paths cross again. Cheers Bill.

32 minutes ago, Pegs said:

Is that fact? If the game is called off twice it gets reversed?

😂😂😂

Thats right on the switch @Pegs us at St Erme lost our home advantage after the weather caused the postponement on both occasions, we lost 2-1 at Probus in the end which was frustrating, personally I do feel that home advantage does make a big difference, I’m sure many would disagree though!! 🤣

Tintagel 1 St Newlyn East 4

London (2), Perry, Dowling goals for the Saints 

The game was held up for about 20mins due to an injury to a Tintagel player. 

It wasn’t a very good game, Saints withstood the Gayle force winds in the 1st half to lead 2-0 at the break. 

A very poor 2nd half by the Saints saw Tintagel pull a goal back following a break after a Saints corner.

We eventually got a grip and won comfy.

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

What! So should this be classified as an abandonment?

"All matches shall be of two equal periods of 45 minutes. In special circumstances, such as poor light and/or weather the referee and the two team captains may agree, before the start of play, to reduce the duration of the periods of play to not less than 35 minutes each way."

Cornwall Junior Cup Ruling - technically, if Perranwell wanted to, they could raise this point with the County.  One would hope they wouldn't for the sake of a few minutes, however, it has been known to happen in the past, even in the Trelawny League. 

By definition, a game that has been ended before the 90 minutes is over is classed as an abandonment.  Common sense should prevail in this scenario of course.

If there's one thing I've learnt in my various roles over the last few years is that if it's in black and white and its a sanctioned rule, there is a case to be heard and a decision to be made. Obviously, the unwritten rule of common sense is a key aspect in all decisions that should be made by authorities.

8 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

"All matches shall be of two equal periods of 45 minutes. In special circumstances, such as poor light and/or weather the referee and the two team captains may agree, before the start of play, to reduce the duration of the periods of play to not less than 35 minutes each way."

Cornwall Junior Cup Ruling - technically, if Perranwell wanted to, they could raise this point with the County.  One would hope they wouldn't for the sake of a few minutes, however, it has been known to happen in the past, even in the Trelawny League. 

By definition, a game that has been ended before the 90 minutes is over is classed as an abandonment.  Common sense should prevail in this scenario of course.

If there's one thing I've learnt in my various roles over the last few years is that if it's in black and white and its a sanctioned rule, there is a case to be heard and a decision to be made. Obviously, the unwritten rule of common sense is a key aspect in all decisions that should be made by authorities.

Key aspect here, we are going off a spectators watch. The referee is the sole timekeeper and may say that the 45 minutes were up. 

From the man in the middle yesterday “ I was the ref at the game yesterday pz v perranwell. I blew for time with 45 minutes and 7 seconds on the watch as the ball was pumped long and no one was getting to it so I blew when the ball went for a throw in. I had 2 watches as well so there was no mistake”

Thanks for clearing that up 👍

20 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

From the man in the middle yesterday “ I was the ref at the game yesterday pz v perranwell. I blew for time with 45 minutes and 7 seconds on the watch as the ball was pumped long and no one was getting to it so I blew when the ball went for a throw in. I had 2 watches as well so there was no mistake”

Thanks for clearing that up 👍

The ref is always right!

It's a good philosophy for all to follow. The opinions of players, managers and spectators are purely opinions - but the refs opinions are the only ones that counts!

17 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Perranwell could well say that they could have equalised in those last few minutes... 😳😳

As Perranwell second team manager I think it would be totally unfair to appeal this decision and I have no intention of doing so. 
we were beaten by a very good side who deserved the result. 

I think we should respect the referee and his decision regardless of wether he made a mistake. 

30 minutes ago, Penranwell 2team manager said:

As Perranwell second team manager I think it would be totally unfair to appeal this decision and I have no intention of doing so. 

I think we should respect the referee and his decision regardless of wether he made a mistake. 

Thanks Alex.

As a spectator I enjoyed the game, as I reported, with no disrespect to teams we have played recently, it was our most difficult for quite a while.

1 hour ago, Penranwell 2team manager said:

Well said👍

1 hour ago, Penranwell 2team manager said:

Great post 👌👌 My posts were simply pointing out the technicalities in the event that a game is stopped/abandoned prior to the Full Time whistle.

22 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

It was not abandoned, it was just the way I worded it. The ref I think made a mistake with his watch. Happened before, will happen again.

"The referee decided it looked as though no more goals would be scored and blew up early !!!" This result could determine the destiny of League One !

This is outrageous. The game is not over till two equal halves of 45 minutes have been played, plus appropriate extra time. But as usual, Penzance FC and its supporters claim some kind of privilege to flout the rules.

Please advise what evidence there was for the referee's assumption ! Were the 24 supporters about to cause a riot if they couldn't get home in time for Strictly Come Dancing ? Was this likely to threaten player safety ? 

St Just were once playing at home to Wendron, then under the management of Tony Kellow, and losing 0-3 at 90 minutes. Dave Burt headers in the 91st, 92nd and 94th minutes made the final score 3-3. No game is legitimately over after 86 minutes ! 

Was there no time to be added ? No second half subs ? 

Out of your own mouth, CTB ! If you acknowledge that this is what happened, the match should be replayed, according to rules. I advise the Perranwell secretary to put in a complaint in a report to CCFA and the League.

Even if they don't, perhaps St Just will !

1 hour ago, isaac rosenberg said:

"The referee decided it looked as though no more goals would be scored and blew up early !!!" This result could determine the destiny of League One !

This is outrageous. The game is not over till two equal halves of 45 minutes have been played, plus appropriate extra time. But as usual, Penzance FC and its supporters claim some kind of privilege to flout the rules.

Please advise what evidence there was for the referee's assumption ! Were the 24 supporters about to cause a riot if they couldn't get home in time for Strictly Come Dancing ? Was this likely to threaten player safety ? 

St Just were once playing at home to Wendron, then under the management of Tony Kellow, and losing 0-3 at 90 minutes. Dave Burt headers in the 91st, 92nd and 94th minutes made the final score 3-3. No game is legitimately over after 86 minutes ! 

Out of your own mouth, CTB ! If you acknowledge that this is what happened, the match should be replayed, according to rules. I advise the Perranwell secretary to put in a complaint in a report to CCFA and the League.

Read above! CTB talking a load of tosh, referee confirms 45:07 played second half.

2 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

I don’t really think this is any of your concern. Penzance won fair and square! End of story 

8 hours ago, John Mead said:

The ref is always right!

It's a good philosophy for all to follow. The opinions of players, managers and spectators are purely opinions - but the refs opinions are the only ones that counts!

Just to clear up. The ref isn’t always right!!

in their minds they might be but they’re not always right. 

So, 7 extra seconds played ? How many second half substitutions ? I absolutely agree that the referee's decision should be final and that his watches are the only ones that count. That being the case, will he perhaps admit that he made a significant timekeeping error ? 

Or was the second half without any substitutions, injuries or other stoppages except for 7 seconds ? I know they slither on and off fast at Penzance, but that fast ?

If the game had been without a referee and a club representative kept time in an identical way, would there be any complaints from the opposition ?

If not...well, you saw the precedent here first !

10 hours ago, St Darren said:

Just to clear up. The ref isn’t always right!!

in their minds they might be but they’re not always right. 

But the above is just your opinion - which has no influence upon a game! My point was that everyone needs to accept the decisions of the ref - even if they don't agree with them. "Sin-Bins" were introduced to re-inforce that principle. We will all make mistakes in life; we're all humans!

9 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

So, 7 extra seconds played ? How many second half substitutions ? I absolutely agree that the referee's decision should be final and that his watches are the only ones that count. That being the case, will he perhaps admit that he made a significant timekeeping error ? 

Or was the second half without any substitutions, injuries or other stoppages except for 7 seconds ? I know they slither on and off fast at Penzance, but that fast ?

If the game had been without a referee and a club representative kept time in an identical way, would there be any complaints from the opposition ?

If not...well, you saw the precedent here first !

...and if the referee stopped his watch for each stoppage of play, the only criticism could be that the game lasted all of 7 seconds too long. Who knows? Who cares?

4 hours ago, John Mead said:

But the above is just your opinion - which has no influence upon a game! My point was that everyone needs to accept the decisions of the ref - even if they don't agree with them. "Sin-Bins" were introduced to re-inforce that principle. We will all make mistakes in life; we're all humans!

...and if the referee stopped his watch for each stoppage of play, the only criticism could be that the game lasted all of 7 seconds too long. Who knows? Who cares?

Indeed, John, who cares ? As long as Penzance win, eh ? As long as you and others continue to exert influence in their favour, on committees, CCFA and everywhere else, as you have ever since the days of Dave Wadd, and the magnificent club policies of pillaging the whole of West Cornwall because you were then the "senior club", weren't you ? The brown envelopes could fly to Plymouth and the locals could sit on the bench. I remember my first visit to Penlee Park, when the Tinners weren't playing, instructed to cheer for Yeovil, who won 7-2. Dad was from Marazion, where they were no fonder of Smacktown FC then than we were up Newbridge Hill.In those days you even had a crowd and more than three committee members. What a surprise, Smacktown FC have banned me from spectating now, because I complained about their manager tapping up Tinners on the touchline. What a surprise. Can't take debate. And of course, one rule for the thieving Magpies and one for the village clubs. 

Who cares, John, you doyen of CCFA and expert on rules, so quick to invoke them when it is in your interest ? CTB tells us that there were missed tackles and people were getting teasy, so the ref blew up early. But now we have the word of a superannuated bank manager that CTB's watch was wrong. Perhaps he has a mystical link to the head of the referee. Well, if that's what Dave says, it must be true. We always trust the banks, don't we ? Too big to fail, they are. That's why the country is in such an excellent condition.

I expect if St Just had been playing there would have three off and a county payday. Maybe you would have appeared as a witness to our terrible, unsporting behaviour. How many cards did the ref dish out to Penzance and Perranwell Reserves, if the game was so tasty? Have they all been put in ?

Yeah, who cares, John ? Between the Jersey Wives Holiday Club of CCFA and the Dave Gardner Trophy Alliance that between them stitched up and destroyed the Combo, who cares ? It was only local football, John. Good job I live in Gloucestershire now: we might still have some to watch in ten years up here. Not sure about Cornwall, though.  

Who cares, John Mead, Mr Football ? Done you any good, has it ? What a club. Great past, no future. Lol.