Cornwall Football Forum

After FA move, club resigns from league!

I was surprised at the time that no one jumped at his statement! 

1 hour ago, We Two said:

If that is the case and although this comment has only just resurfaced, surely some interaction from the clubs within the pyramid system to remind the F.A. executive member of what was stated would put the F.A. in the position of confirming of whether it was possible or not.

Don't suppose it was a formal meeting where minutes were taken ? that would be too much to hope for.

I have posted this comment before!

23 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I have posted this comment before!

As stated

1 hour ago, We Two said:

although this comment has only just resurfaced,

The problem is that we complain about what we presume we can't do, but no one in an official capacity ( i.e. club officials who are at the heart of a club ) seems prepared to do anything to find out what we can do.
Who knows what is acheivable, one thing for sure is that it's nothing if we don't ask.

4 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I was at one of the meetings,  St Austell if my memory serves me correctly,  and the FA rep clearly  stated..."if all of the Cornish clubs embraced the pyramid system they would consider financial assistance with the travelling"

I was sitting 20ft away when he said it.

Oh yes he did!

If all Cornish clubs embraced the pyramid system then travelling would be less of an issue. 

Move the Western League West with a steady infiltration of quality, progressive Cornish clubs who priorities infrastructure, community engagement and youth instead of paying inflated wages to inflated egos to be the biggest fish in an increasingly small pond. 

How this isn't the ambition for Cornish football is beyond me. Be the best you can be!

If there are any clubs that have a genuine interest in furthering the progress of Cornish football within the pyramid system, the man to contact is Mr Matt Edkins at the F.A. headquarters, contact details are:-

Twitter   @mattedkins3

Email   matt.edkins@thefa.com

Telephone ( free ) 0800-169-1863 extension 4540

Matt is the head of the pyramid system and if clubs are interested enough to contact him, who knows what benefits can be garnered.
Of course if you are content with being looked on as a footballing outpost with no interest in the future of football in Cornwall, don't bother.

8 minutes ago, We Two said:

If there are any clubs that have a genuine interest in furthering the progress of Cornish football within the pyramid system, the man to contact is Mr Matt Edkins at the F.A. headquarters, contact details are:-

Twitter   @mattedkins3

Email   matt.edkins@fa.com

Telephone ( free ) 0800-169-1863 extension 4540

Matt is the head of the pyramid system and if clubs are interested enough to contact him, who knows what benefits can be garnered.
Of course if you are content with being looked on as a footballing outpost with no interest in the future of football in Cornwall, don't bother.

Almost correct We Two; Matt is certainly the first point of contact and is the chief administrator of the NSL ........ (as Phil Hiscox is with the SWPL) but the rules/decisions are made by an FA committee.

5 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I was at one of the meetings,  St Austell if my memory serves me correctly,  and the FA rep clearly  stated..."if all of the Cornish clubs embraced the pyramid system they would consider financial assistance with the travelling"

I was sitting 20ft away when he said it.

Oh yes he did!

I was not at that public meeting Older but have heard a similar question asked during restructuring planning meetings; the answer was not as positive as the one you heard!

5 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Almost correct We Two; Matt is certainly the first point of contact and is the chief administrator of the NSL ........ (as Phil Hiscox is with the SWPL) but the rules/decisions are made by an FA committee.

I was not at that public meeting Older but have heard a similar question asked during restructuring planning meetings; the answer was not as positive as the one you heard!

I wouldn't call his response positive.

I suppose if enough clubs kept asking the question they might CONSIDER it?

Lets set aside the negativity and the "it will never happen" attitude, and let those in charge ( or first point of contact ) know that there is discontent within the system that needs addressing.
Millions perhaps even billions of pounds are handled every year by the authorities, and yet they offer only a pittance to the genuine grassroots of the game in the hope that they will be grateful for anything that comes their way.
Unless they are told otherwise, they will exist in their bubble of content and all is well, imagine what as little as a £100,000 regional investment throughout the country would do to help clubs affected with travel problems.
We suspect the total paid out would not even be noticed in the accounts of some professional CLUBS let alone an organisation the size of the F.A. 

39 minutes ago, We Two said:

Lets set aside the negativity and the "it will never happen" attitude, and let those in charge ( or first point of contact ) know that there is discontent within the system that needs addressing.
Millions perhaps even billions of pounds are handled every year by the authorities, and yet they offer only a pittance to the genuine grassroots of the game in the hope that they will be grateful for anything that comes their way.
Unless they are told otherwise, they will exist in their bubble of content and all is well, imagine what as little as a £100,000 regional investment throughout the country would do to help clubs affected with travel problems.
We suspect the total paid out would not even be noticed in the accounts of some professional CLUBS let alone an organisation the size of the F.A. 

It is the Premier League that has the wealth, as opposed to the FA. The FA are only now recovering from a position of being almost broke, hence why they were trying to flog Wembley Stadium a few years back. They have already sold their offices sited on prime central London real estate.

The last accounts for the FA (2017/18)

Turnover - £370m

Profit - £16m

Debts - £150m

Contrast that to Manchester United for 2018/19, the wealthiest PL club.

Turnover - £581m

Profits - £57m

Debts - £213m

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Are you suggesting John that the FA will listen with a sympathetic ear and excuse the Cornish clubs from having to take promotion? 

They did say that they would "consider" appeals against compulsory promotion for League Champions but there would need to be convincing reasons for allowing such a request.

The F.A. have the knowledge and ability of how and who to approach in all organisations within the football world, and are much more likely to be able to bend their ear than the regional organisations are regarding finance.
It must be in their long term interest to encourage home grown talent, and if they want evidence of the demise of rural football, ask themselves how many players in the England team have a rural football background.
If the F.A. are asking us to adhere to the rules they have set for the National League System, then at the very least they should make the rules acheivable to all clubs within that system including those in rural areas where travel distances are a financial problem.
Perhaps they should be encouraged to distribute their profits in a different manner.

2 minutes ago, We Two said:

The F.A. have the knowledge and ability of how and who to approach in all organisations within the football world, and are much more likely to be able to bend their ear than the regional organisations are regarding finance.
It must be in their long term interest to encourage home grown talent, and if they want evidence of the demise of rural football, ask themselves how many players in the England team have a rural football background.
If the F.A. are asking us to adhere to the rules they have set for the National League System, then at the very least they should make the rules acheivable to all clubs within that system including those in rural areas where travel distances are a financial problem.
Perhaps they should be encouraged to distribute their profits in a different manner.

Pigs can't fly.

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

They did say that they would "consider" appeals against compulsory promotion for League Champions but there would need to be convincing reasons for allowing such a request.

But then isn't it going to be the case that should a club be successful with an appeal, it’s going to be in effect only a reprieve as should the same club win it the following season, it will have been expected that they have sorted the problem. 

Eleven a side football has been in decline for years because of the changes in work/life balance. Players are not able to commit in the same way as they did years ago. 

Numbers of players overall still look good due to midweek football leagues that have sprung up all over the country where players can still have a game with their mates but with far less commitment.

If there are less able to commit to Saturday football there will be less of a pool to pick from if you suddenly increase travelling not by the odd mile or two, but by a substantial distance here in Cornwall. 

It does disappoint me when I hear of players who aren’t prepared to make the effort to travel out of county on the occasional Saturday but going hundreds of miles every other week is a big ask for anyone nowadays.  

Just an observation.