Cornwall Football Forum

BOND TIMBER CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP, 3rd Rd - Saturday 23 November 2019

OBVIOUSLY SUBJECT TO MANY WEATHER AFFECTED ALTERATIONS!!!
BOND TIMBER CORNWALL JUNIOR CUP

3rd Round 

23/11/19

Kilkhampton         4-2              Frogpool & Cusgarne  (aet, 2-2 at 90 mins)

St Just                  P-P                St Merryn

Stithians                   P-P                Bude Town Reserves 

St Dominick Reserves     P-P        Goonhavern Athletic

Tintagel                   P-P            St Newlyn East

St Ann's Chapel     P-P               Polperro Reserves 

Mevagissey            P-P                Altarnon

St Breward              P-P            Probus

Tregrehan Mills    3-1          Chacewater

Lostwithiel               P-P               Camborne School Of Mines

Threemilestone     p-p                Holman Sports Club

New Inn Titans      P-P              Mawnan

Gunnislake              P-P               St Columb Major

West Cornwall       5-4                Southgate Seniors (aet, 2-2 at 90 mins)

1 hour ago, Clubman said:

St Just v St Merryn  off. Waterlogged pitch.

St Just vs St Merryn still ON at the moment. Having a pitch inspection in the morning as late as possible (long drive for St Merryn) since both sides want the game on. St Just pitch usually good in the wet and not been played on for a couple of weeks so fingers crossed! 

'The Chairman' and I were looking forward to a trip west tomorrow in support of our Duchy sides, we had ruled out St Just  - fearful of falling off the edge of the earth - but have Stithians v Bude or  West Cornwall v Southgate  in mind - any news on conditions would be welcome. I'm not familiar with either ground - is there shelter & a tea hut at both ?

Dave. I am the referee that was appointed to the game and I went in my own time to inspect the pitch this afternoon and have video footage  of the state of the pitch which I have sent to the St Just secretary. There is no way that it would be playable.  I have over 20 years of experience refereeing and will not allow a game to go ahead when it is not safe. I will  send you the videos of my pitch inspection if you want. 

Threemilestone v Holmans ...off

St Dominick    V.  Goonhavern ...off

Lostwithiel.   V.    School of Mines ...off

Stithians.       V.    Bude Town Res ...off

New Inn Titans   V   Mawnan  .... off

St Just           V     St Merryn .....off

St Breward   V      Probus 

****** Games involving Trelawny teams that will affect next weeks league matches 

St Just vs St Merryn is now off.

Understandably we wanted a pitch inspection at 10:30am, not 24 hours before kick off like the original ref carried out unasked. Like many we want to get games on, so worth a try! Issue is not so much the pitch being flooded as 90% is fine and playable, but we are unable to put the lines down and there is one small area in a goalmouth that’s boggy. A shame but with more home fixtures in the next few weeks we don’t want the pitch ruined.

Apologies to St Merryn - see you next week!

16 hours ago, zebedee said:

Hi Paul , wellies and brolly ready ? Bring your flask to as no facilities for tea etc 

West Cornwall has a small wooden covered area .

Stithians out in the open and holds water badly so doubtful there .

Constant rain here all week ...so chances are slim mate !

still looking at West Cornwall v Southgate, i understand it is still on at the moment.  - is the pitch just beside the A30 at Trevenson ?

Ah yes Nige!!! Good old local derby! Wanna say 6-3? Come back to me now! Remember the hat-trick but can’t remember any of the goals!? 🤔🙄 old age mate!

Change of plan Dave! 😀 Drive to Co-op for a pasty, then drive to the pitch and watch 1st half from the car with my flask of tea! 😀 You know me too well mate! Actually got a bit of blue sky here at the moment! Might even get out the car for the 2nd half! Especially if Chacewater are winning!!! 👍

West Cornwall 5 - 4 Southgate Seniors aet

An entertaining afternoon on our travels. West Cornwall had the better of the first half and deserved their 2 nil half time lead but Southgate rallied well and likewise deserved to get back to 2 all after 90 minutes. Two early goals from the home side in the first period of extra time looked to have put the tie beyond the visitors but once again they came good after the break. With the score at 4 apiece and West Cornwall having needlessly lost a man through a red card, the odds swung in Southgate's favour and it at least looked as if they would take it to penalties but they rather gifted their opponents the winner with some slack defending late on.

All in all two sides of about equal quality with West Cornwall worthy winners on the day but to be honest I couldn't see a Junior Cup Finalists out there. 

Looking forward to Stithians v Bude next week.

To be fair to st just. The game was called off dinner time by the ref. St just asked for time to give the pitch a chance. I was told by paul Murphy today that st just had worked hard and the pitch was looking good to be played providing lines could be marked out. Unfortunately the weather has beaten us this time as when they attempted to line it the heavens opened. So fair play to st just and credit to them for trying. I was appointed 3 games in 36 hrs and all 3 beaten by the weather. 

2 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

An entertaining afternoon on our travels. West Cornwall had the better of the first half and deserved their 2 nil half time lead but Southgate rallied well and likewise deserved to get back to 2 all after 90 minutes. Two early goals from the home side in the first period of extra time looked to have put the tie beyond the visitors but once again they came good after the break. With the score at 4 apiece and West Cornwall having needlessly lost a man through a red card, the odds swung in Southgate's favour and it at least looked as if they would take it to penalties but they rather gifted their opponents the winner with some slack defending late on.

All in all two sides of about equal quality with West Cornwall worthy winners on the day but to be honest I couldn't see a Junior Cup Finalists out there. 

Don’t think that’s a fair assumption, regarding

“I couldn’t see a junior cup finalists out there”

don’t think any side would look like finalist in any of the ties, especially with the weather conditions.

6 hours ago, Mr Bean said:

To be fair to st just. The game was called off dinner time by the ref. St just asked for time to give the pitch a chance. I was told by paul Murphy today that st just had worked hard and the pitch was looking good to be played providing lines could be marked out. Unfortunately the weather has beaten us this time as when they attempted to line it the heavens opened. So fair play to st just and credit to them for trying. I was appointed 3 games in 36 hrs and all 3 beaten by the weather. 

Once again you spout rubbish.  You would be  better keeping your opinions to yourself.  I didn't see you come down to look at the pitch Dave. 

Tregrehan Mills 3 - 1 Chacewater (h-t 2-1)

Without our regular keeper and on a sticky surface, we knew we would be entering into a real cup tie against unknown Trelawney opponents. Chacewater started the stronger team and caught us out on several occasions with their attacking formation and speed out wide. One of the few occasions in the first half we played our football Glyn James finished off a good cross to settle us down. That said, the visitors kept coming and a cracking strike from the left sided player into the far corner made it 1-1. This sprung us into action and we finished the half better with our 2nd goal coming from a Glyn James run and finish into the corner. 2-1 at halftime. After a good half time chat, we ironed out a few things and played better in the 2nd half as Chacewater appeared to run out of steam. Matt May added a 3rd with a sweet strike from 25 yards following a corner, and we feel we could/should have had more as we limited Chacewater to the off half chance. It finished 3-1. Chacewater are a far better team than their league position suggests and can see them progressing up the leagues with the squad yesterday. Great lads and gracious in defeat who came back for hospitality after the game and filled up the scratch card and enjoyed a pint. We have never faced Trelawney league opposition before, and if Chacewater are an example of the club's in that league structure, we hope to meet another in the next round. Enjoyable afternoon for us, and hope Chacewater enjoyed their visit to Par (result aside). Good luck to them for the rest of the season. 

4 hours ago, TruMiller said:

Tregrehan Mills 3 - 1 Chacewater (h-t 2-1)

Without our regular keeper and on a sticky surface, we knew we would be entering into a real cup tie against unknown Trelawney opponents. Chacewater started the stronger team and caught us out on several occasions with their attacking formation and speed out wide. One of the few occasions in the first half we played our football Glyn James finished off a good cross to settle us down. That said, the visitors kept coming and a cracking strike from the left sided player into the far corner made it 1-1. This sprung us into action and we finished the half better with our 2nd goal coming from a Glyn James run and finish into the corner. 2-1 at halftime. After a good half time chat, we ironed out a few things and played better in the 2nd half as Chacewater appeared to run out of steam. Matt May added a 3rd with a sweet strike from 25 yards following a corner, and we feel we could/should have had more as we limited Chacewater to the off half chance. It finished 3-1. Chacewater are a far better team than their league position suggests and can see them progressing up the leagues with the squad yesterday. Great lads and gracious in defeat who came back for hospitality after the game and filled up the scratch card and enjoyed a pint. We have never faced Trelawney league opposition before, and if Chacewater are an example of the club's in that league structure, we hope to meet another in the next round. Enjoyable afternoon for us, and hope Chacewater enjoyed their visit to Par (result aside). Good luck to them for the rest of the season. 

Thank you for the compliments TruMiller.

We didn't travel with a full strength squad due to injuries and a couple of others who had other arrangements but it is all about who was available on the day.

We knew that we be in for a hard afternoon as soon as the draw was made but,on the other hand,it is always nice to play a team that we wouldn't normally come up against in our division or cups.

All the very best to you for the rest of the season and we will follow your exploits with interest.

Thanks again for your hospitality.

20 hours ago, Clubman said:

Once again you spout rubbish.  You would be  better keeping your opinions to yourself.  I didn't see you come down to look at the pitch Dave. 

And who is this? I was told it was called off at dinner time but st just asked for the pitch to be given a chance. Saturday morning the pitch was playable but faint lines and it started to rain  so they couldn't mark the pitch. That's what I was told. No I didn't do an inspection.

On 23/11/2019 at 17:48, Paul Collings said:

A competitive game of football played in good spirits! As stated it really was game of two halves, both teams showed a lot of determination and passion which is nice to see. The game finishing off with penalties would have been the rightful end however a miss communication at the back resulted in West Cornwall getting a very late winner.

Thanks to all the guys down at West Cornwall for doing all they could to have the game played, thanks for a competitive game and also a good laugh back at the pub. Wish you all the best for the season!

With regards to the above comment "to be honest I couldn't see a Junior Cup Finalists out there", I personally think that is a very unfair comment seeing as both team did the best they could with those pitch conditions, Southgate had to adjust the way we play as you could not effectively play the ball along the floor on that pitch. Also seeing as Southgate before this fixture had won 10 out of their 11 games this season and West Cornwall are still unbeaten in the league, I think that comment is uncalled for and puts a downer on what was a very competitive game with both teams leaving it all on the field.

23 minutes ago, UpTheSouth said:

With regards to the above comment "to be honest I couldn't see a Junior Cup Finalists out there", I personally think that is a very unfair comment

I'm struggling to understand why you need to get too wound up about a genuine "on the day" spectator's opinion! It's now up to both teams on the pitch and in this competition to prove him wrong.

13 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Where did @Mr Bean give an opinion? He only gave the facts that were presented to him.

Well the facts were wrong it was initially called off at 4 pm on Friday as the protocol allows if the pitch is unplayable  which was the correct  decision . Watch the footage on Facebook. 

Edited by Clubman
Spelling correction

8 hours ago, Clubman said:

Well the facts were wrong it was initially called off at 4 pm on Friday as the protocol allows if the pitch is unplayable  which was the correct  decision . Watch the footage on Facebook. 

Which he did say. He then went on to say that the club asked county for more time, which they agreed to. Not sure why such a problem with @Mr Bean