Cornwall Football Forum

Shocking Scenes at Liskeard today

Extremely disturbing situation at Liskeard v St Blazey this afternoon when a gentleman supporting Blazey ran on the pitch attempting to attack a Liskeard player.

Fortunately the extremely angry gentleman was restrained just before he got to the player.

The game was held up for quite a while as players, staff and officials attempted to get him off the pitch.

The gentleman was eventually seen leaving the ground and watching the match through the fence at the main road side of the ground.

A number of supporters seemed visibly shocked at the intensity of the attempted attack which took some time to bring under control.

Fortunately the player chosen for the attack received no injury due to the prompt actions of those around him.

Not what players and genuine supporters expect to see at a football match irrespective of what level is being played. Can only wonder what the general reaction would be if this had been a televised high profile game. 

No reaction from either the Liskeard or St Blazey clubs yet but the SWPL are aware of the incident, apparently one of their senior officials was present at the game.

Wow.....what an advert for local Cornish football......well done to the SWPL.......if you want sportsmanship, fair play and entertaining football may I direct you to your "lower' standards.....its here the true Grassroots football is played...perhaps there should be a bit of retrospectiveness applied...but somehow I feel that those at a "higher level "  will still have an excuse?????? Comments welcome ......

10 minutes ago, Journeyman009 said:

Paul Edwards former player ex pro ran on pitch attached a liskaerd center half . Threw a punch missed and fell over what a **** 😂😂😂😂. Game should of been abandoned. Hhirichic scenes . Ref was a disgrace.......

Just a disgrace....sorry...how can you bring the official into this........what a joke 

9 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Presumably because the ref did not have the gumption to do something about it!

Oh please ...yes. ..let's hear how you justify this action because of the ref. ..sums up the "senior" game totally ..... thank God for the Junior levels and their usage of Respect ........come on...please tell the world why it was the fault of the official   

He got the ball first, maybe got the player after a little bit, but it was no where near a red card at all! Completely out of order for his father to run on the pitch and try and swing for the liskeard defender! Never witnessed something like that before, disgusting! 

1 hour ago, Journeyman009 said:

Paul Edwards former player ex pro ran on pitch attached a liskaerd center half . Threw a punch missed and fell over what a **** 😂😂😂😂. Game should of been abandoned. Hhirichic scenes . Ref was a disgrace.......

Just so I'm getting this right in my head...

1.  A spectator jumped the railings..

2.  The spectator runs towards a Liskeard player with the intent of assaulting him.

3. In your opinion, the referee is responsible for that spectators actions. 

Am I correct?

It wasn't that long ago that a referee was physically assaulted by a player in the SWPL... He didn't abandon the game. Why would a game be abandoned in this situation? The spectator was stopped from getting to the Liskeard player and was removed from the ground. Why abandon?!? 

Why is it that when anything happens at a game, regardless of what it is, we always hear the same nonsense "It was the refs fault"? 

No wonder we are short of officials!

5 minutes ago, Buggzy said:

He got the ball first, maybe got the player after a little bit, but it was no where near a red card at all! Completely out of order for his father to run on the pitch and try and swing for the liskeard defender! Never witnessed something like that before, disgusting! 

Trying to justify a cynical tackle with " he got the ball first " no longer holds water in today`s football. 

Whilst not condoning the father`s actions, had he viewed the tackle as downright dangerous and believed it was executed with malice then I can somewhat understand his reaction.

32 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Just so I'm getting this right in my head...

1.  A spectator jumped the railings..

2.  The spectator runs towards a Liskeard player with the intent of assaulting him.

3. In your opinion, the referee is responsible for that spectators actions. 

Am I correct?

It wasn't that long ago that a referee was physically assaulted by a player in the SWPL... He didn't abandon the game. Why would a game be abandoned in this situation? The spectator was stopped from getting to the Liskeard player and was removed from the ground. Why abandon?!? 

Why is it that when anything happens at a game, regardless of what it is, we always hear the same nonsense "It was the refs fault"? 

No wonder we are short of officials!

Well said Dave.

For the sake of clarity & incident responsibility it is extremely far fetched to place any kind of blame towards the Referee for this shameful event.

The player suffered no apparent injury to my knowledge and the official saw fit to administer a yellow card, possibly under the heading of reckless challenge. Many in the ground thought it was a 50/50 tackle. Without the knowledge of slow motion replay we'll never know. Needless to say it is completely out of order for anyone to enter the pitch and attack someone.

It was a scrappy niggly game but not what I'd label dirty. Perhaps the only blatant black mark was when St Blazey had a player sent off late first half for an atrocious clinically timed hack-down. This was even admitted by Blazey Management in open ear shot of their bench, they couldn't understand why their player had been so irrational. Yes, spectators were annoyed at the challenge but nobody ran on the field itching to hit somebody.

I fear local football is facing a serious threat of disruption if the seeds of anarchic behaviour are not stamped out. It shall be interesting to witness what corrective action is applied for this extremely damaging occurrence?

Goodness knows what negative feedback football would have received if this had occurred at a more prominent level? The fact it happened at little Liskeard doesn't make it any more palatable.

Let's hope appropriate action prevents anyone doing this in the future.

16 hours ago, countyman said:

Oh please ...yes. ..let's hear how you justify this action because of the ref. ..sums up the "senior" game totally ..... thank God for the Junior levels and their usage of Respect ........come on...please tell the world why it was the fault of the official   

You won’t listen !

The CCFA have to take proper action here, it's not the referee's fault. You cannot put players safety in jeopardy, this is an alarming incident, an incident that frightened a young family away from a football match . Stomp down hard on individuals/Clubs & make a stand this won't be tolerated in our football in Cornwall. Very frightening experience 

20 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Extremely disturbing situation at Liskeard v St Blazey this afternoon when a gentleman supporting Blazey ran on the pitch attempting to attack a Liskeard player.

Fortunately the extremely angry gentleman was restrained just before he got to the player.

The game was held up for quite a while as players, staff and officials attempted to get him off the pitch.

The gentleman was eventually seen leaving the ground and watching the match through the fence at the main road side of the ground.

A number of supporters seemed visibly shocked at the intensity of the attempted attack which took some time to bring under control.

Fortunately the player chosen for the attack received no injury due to the prompt actions of those around him.

Not what players and genuine supporters expect to see at a football match irrespective of what level is being played. Can only wonder what the general reaction would be if this had been a televised high profile game. 

No reaction from either the Liskeard or St Blazey clubs yet but the SWPL are aware of the incident, apparently one of their senior officials was present at the game.

haha and massey moans at f troop playing music lol 

1 hour ago, Tribute said:

If reports on here are true , imagine how embarrassing it is for the lad . Daddy running on the pitch to fight someone who went in a bit hard . Must of been drunk surely 🍺😂

Daddy slipped over in the mud as well ruined his stonewashed jeans ... 

Absolutely shocking . If the guy who left with his young family is a follower of Cornish football & visits this site, I hope you return to a local game soon & son wasn't to upset after leaving the ground. 

18 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

The player suffered no apparent injury to my knowledge and the official saw fit to administer a yellow card, possibly under the heading of reckless challenge. Many in the ground thought it was a 50/50 tackle.

I struggle to believe that a father of one of the players, who has attended many games in the past and seen his son involved in several hard challenges, runs on to the pitch to assault another player if the challenge was a fair 50/50.

I wasn't at the game. My father-in-law was. He was stood right in front of the foul and he told me that, in his opinion, the referee ought to have shown a straight red card. He said it was two footed, reckless and that the player was not in control of the challenge. This sounds like a much more plausible version of events to me than a 50/50 challenge causing so much furore.

1 hour ago, SteveM said:

I struggle to believe that a father of one of the players, who has attended many games in the past and seen his son involved in several hard challenges, runs on to the pitch to assault another player if the challenge was a fair 50/50.

I wasn't at the game. My father-in-law was. He was stood right in front of the foul and he told me that, in his opinion, the referee ought to have shown a straight red card. He said it was two footed, reckless and that the player was not in control of the challenge. This sounds like a much more plausible version of events to me than a 50/50 challenge causing so much furore.

Nice of you to add you weren't at the game.

Noting that your Father In Law was "stood right in front of the foul" he must surely be the oldest Blazey player in history. 

Don't tell me he was hanging around on the touchline like the rest of us?

Bit concerning a couple of posts are hinting there was justification for the disgraceful pitch attack.

With the greatest of respect rather than summon up justifiable reasons why the pitch intruder may have initiated his attack has anyone taken a moment to consider how the Liskeard player is dealing with this event? There is no decisive evidence the player did anything other than try to win the ball..... unless you have a Father In Law who knows different.

1 hour ago, SteveM said:

So that makes it right for a supporter the away side to enter the field of play & put his hands on an opposition player? I feel if this isn't dealt with strongly you will open the door for this to potentially be a regular thing unless perpetrators are dealt with. Both Club & perpetrator(s) 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Just exactly what sort of age is this "young family" that left?

What difference does that make Dave? The young lad was in tears & frightened.

The father was in his late 30's who recently played football in St.Cleer if memory serves 

2 hours ago, leedsunited said:

Daddy slipped over in the mud as well ruined his stonewashed jeans ... 

Absolutely shocking . If the guy who left with his young family is a follower of Cornish football & visits this site, I hope you return to a local game soon & son wasn't to upset after leaving the ground. 

I've witnessed and been on the end of much worse from a certain player who I believe is at Bodmin this year.

51 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

So that makes it right for a supporter the away side to enter the field of play & put his hands on an opposition player? I feel if this isn't dealt with strongly you will open the door for this to potentially be a regular thing unless perpetrators are dealt with. Both Club & perpetrator(s)

Which club is that then? The hosts for a lack of security/stewards? The visitors who may or may not be aware that this man is a supporter of their club. Sounds to me as if the only thing that he’s “supporting” is his son, and frankly he’s not doing a particularly good job at that. Any sanctions (and I’m not at all sure I know who can administer what) should rest solely with the perpetrator.

3 hours ago, SteveM said:

More like the version of things I heard too, not from a spectator but a player on the pitch.

Apparently the father himself is an ex-player of some experience so has seen it all before and knows what goes beyond the bounds of what is correct or proper within the game.

13 hours ago, Rightside O`theriver said:

More like the version of things I heard too, not from a spectator but a player on the pitch.

Apparently the father himself is an ex-player of some experience so has seen it all before and knows what goes beyond the bounds of what is correct or proper within the game.

So should know that running onto the pitch to attack a player is massively beyond the bounds of what is correct or proper within the game.  He probably told the Liskeard defender on his way to attack him that he wasn't fit to lace his boots.  A classic he has come out with several times and a comment that is equally as embarrassing as his actions Saturday.  Needs the book thrown at him here to completely stop this from happening again. 

13 hours ago, Rightside O`theriver said:

The tackle being a red card tackle is immaterial. No spectator should be coming onto the pitch to assault a player.  Father or not. 

On 16/11/2019 at 23:56, Uwdi Krugg said:

I fear local football is facing a serious threat of disruption if the seeds of anarchic behaviour are not stamped out. It shall be interesting to witness what corrective action is applied for this extremely damaging occurrence?

Sadly, toxic thuggish, behaviour is a high percentage within the game. There are too many braindead thugs who will break legs just to get a win and translate that as 'passion and determination' after the whistle.

This is accompanied by benches and supporters who condone this and act like the intentions of these types of players are purely down to the desire to win, but sadly 'win at all costs' means: hurl abuse, attempt to injure, commit physical assault and be as abhorrently vile as possible just to win a game of football.

Unfortunately what can any club do to stop this happening?

Put 6ft high wire netting around the pitch with lockable gates for the players to get onto the pitch?

Everyone behind the wire unless one of the 25 involved in the game. 

What else if no wire, burly stewards around the pitch ready to run on and rugby tackle anyone who steps onto the field of play? 

This incident has created a lot of interest and comments as it is so rare. We don't need a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

A warning to the player's club, and then they ban this father from attending their matches.

This is local football not an international. stop blowing up to make it worse.

According to FA Regulations, a Club is responsible for the behaviour of their supporters. An individual causing a serious disruption to a match can also be sanctioned - if he is able to be identified. The "punishment" for the spectator could depend upon whether he is still a registered player at any Club or if he is just a spectator.

CTB - you are right, however the CCFA/FA are somewhat obliged to take firm action. Depending on the Referees report, Liskeard can be fined for failure to adequately protect players and St Blazey for failing to control their spectator - despite the fact neither club could do anything to stop the idiotic actions of one person. Hopefully this will be minimal for the clubs and both clubs will ‘assist’ by supplying the details of the fool - and imo(only going on what is on here as I wasn’t at the game - although I would struggle to find any mitigation on his behalf) he should then be banned from all grounds - with particular emphasis on St Blazey to identify him should he appear at any of their games, as banning orders are of no use unless clubs know the individual. 

56 minutes ago, John Mead said:

According to FA Regulations, a Club is responsible for the behaviour of their supporters. An individual causing a serious disruption to a match can also be sanctioned - if he is able to be identified. The "punishment" for the spectator could depend upon whether he is still a registered player at any Club or if he is just a spectator.

This has been blown out of all proportion!

13 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Take no action, feelings always run high during a game, it has been like it since kingdom come!

I know you’ll say it’s your right to voice your opinion, but you’ve just got to be kidding with your suggestion? 
Irrespective whether it was a shocking tackle and even though it may have been his son on the end of that tackle, you just can’t allow the offender to get off scot free.

Yes, feelings have always run high and will continue to do so, but control should have been applied and running onto the pitch cannot be allowed!

5 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I know you’ll say it’s your right to voice your opinion, but you’ve just got to be kidding with your suggestion? 
Irrespective whether it was a shocking tackle and even though it may have been his son on the end of that tackle, you just can’t allow the offender to get off scot free.

Yes, feelings have always run high and will continue to do so, but control should have been applied and running onto the pitch cannot be allowed!

I am certainly not kidding, everyone has a personal view.