Cornwall Football Forum

FALMOUTH TOWN V HELSTON

Have been looking forward to this all week after the disappointment of last week's postponment .Weathers looking good ,pitch looking good .Hope the Town can carry on with their fine form ,although Helston will be a far stronger test once again compared to Godolphin in midweek .sure to be a big crowd with another excellent turnout from the F troop who once again will provide the 12th man . COME ON THE TOWN !!! 

16 hours ago, mattelot said:

Have been looking forward to this all week after the disappointment of last week's postponment .Weathers looking good ,pitch looking good .Hope the Town can carry on with their fine form ,although Helston will be a far stronger test once again compared to Godolphin in midweek .sure to be a big crowd with another excellent turnout from the F troop who once again will provide the 12th man . COME ON THE TOWN !!! 

What side of the fence are you on regarding promotion Nige? Are you happy pootleling along in the local league or are you ambitious for your club. There seems to be split views amongst the supporters. :ph34r:

It's a tricky one I suppose. Spoken to some of the older crew which I fit in with. If you get promoted then you go at it wholeheartedly. If you don't succeed you've at least set an example and attempted the next phase. 

Nothing worse than wondering, 'What if' s" are a waste of time and when wondering what could of been is an utter waste of time. 

Train as hard as possible. Keep good people together and enjoy some commitment on a united front. 

PARTY TIME at Bickland--Town won 3-2 (1-1) 

Dave Broglino 3-- Pen.10m,free kick 52m,Pen 72m--His second hat trick in 4 days Has he ever missed a penalty ?

Olly Brokenshire 2--  7m,82m Pen

At least 8 bookings (3 FT), Billy Tucker Red Card -Matt Bye Sin Bin-Mark Goldsworthy carried off --Luke Barner hobbled off.

Referee Shaun Edge

1 hour ago, Footy_00 said:

Great game for the neutrals and re above, I counted 2 reds, 1 sin bin and 10 bookings. Maybe more. Very card happy ref. F troop were at their usual best, much to the annoyance of Massey. 

Only a few bad tackles in the game which unfortunately the ref started to dish out them out very early and when they do that it’s usually going to escalate from there , thought Town had a soft penalty which the ref evened up ( as they do ) but all in all Falmouth deserved to win as Luke Brabyn should have had a few goals when clean through , but Helston had a harder game than last week vs Perranwell 😂

Lineups-

Falmouth--Ryan Barnes-Dave Blizzard-Ben Oliver-Ryan Chinn-Joe Cooper-Toby Clark-Luke Barner(Will Harding 36m DEBUT)-Dave Broglino-Luke Brabyn-Sam Pickup-Luke Johnson(Ross Pope  retired 2016/17)--Unused Reuben Talbot-Charlie Davis-Steve Parker-Billinge gk

Unavailable Ollie Moody-Martyn Duff-Matt Buchan-Tim Nixon-Jack Bowyer ill---Ryan Martt left for Nottingham -Jack Webber at Uni' -will they be available for the Vase ?

Veterans Ross Pope made is debut 2001 and Toby Clark 2003.

Helston-Jason Robertson**-KirkDavies**George Roberts-Ryan Beattie-Cameron Wheat-Olly Brokenshire-Builly Tucker-Matt Bye-Neil Slateford**-(Alfie Flack)Mark Goldsworthy(Jack James)-Phil Cattran(Alex Whaarton)

Unused Subs.Scott Beattie-Kieron Daughtery gk       ** Former Falmouth town

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Only a few bad tackles in the game which unfortunately the ref started to dish out them out very early and when they do that it’s usually going to escalate from there , thought Town had a soft penalty which the ref evened up ( as they do ) but all in all Falmouth deserved to win as Luke Brabyn should have had a few goals when clean through , but Helston had a harder game than last week vs Perranwell 😂

I agree 

Town deserved their win because they wanted it more and got their reward. Mr Edge and the slimmer assistant were perplexing at best. Lovely to see how much it meant to the town supporters - beating a class-less. trophy-less team really IS a feather in their cap!!! Good luck in the next round. Pity the F Troop were again factually incorrect - it is the Flora Dance and not the Floral Dance. Perhaps Daddy who came and told you to stop swearing will educate a little 🤣🤣🤣 

42 minutes ago, le boss said:

Town deserved their win because they wanted it more and got their reward. Mr Edge and the slimmer assistant were perplexing at best. Lovely to see how much it meant to the town supporters - beating a class-less. trophy-less team really IS a feather in their cap!!! Good luck in the next round. Pity the F Troop were again factually incorrect - it is the Flora Dance and not the Floral Dance. Perhaps Daddy who came and told you to stop swearing will educate a little 🤣🤣🤣 

Mr Edge and as you put it the slimmer assistant are actually two of the best refs in the county, card heavy yes, some dodgy decision maybe, but certainly didn't ruin the game imo

41 minutes ago, le boss said:

Well thankyou for your congratulations Le Boss. Sorry however that you seem to have jumped the gun somewhat .The f troop song about the floral dance relates to the song The floral dance made famous by sir Terry Wogan and Brighouse and Rastrick band .As for being factually incorrect ,yes you are .It's not the flora dance ,rather the furry dance .👍Anyway back to the football .Yes Town wanted it far more than Helston ,and with 5 regular players missing today and no recognised striker to call on every man in a black and amber shirt stepped up to the plate .once again team spirit shone through ,sadly that seems lacking in the blues camp .This was highlighted after the game when only 6 of your lads went into the clubhouse ,credit to them .Shame on the rest that couldn't be bothered ,Hardly a team United in defeat .Credit to Steve Massey who clapped the F troop at the end and came in the clubhouse briefly afterwards .He knows you can't buy support .

16 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Well thankyou for your congratulations Le Boss. Sorry however that you seem to have jumped the gun somewhat .The f troop song about the floral dance relates to the song The floral dance made famous by sir Terry Wogan and Brighouse and Rastrick band .As for being factually incorrect ,yes you are .It's not the flora dance ,rather the furry dance .👍Anyway back to the football .Yes Town wanted it far more than Helston ,and with 5 regular players missing today and no recognised striker to call on every man in a black and amber shirt stepped up to the plate .once again team spirit shone through ,sadly that seems lacking in the blues camp .This was highlighted after the game when only 6 of your lads went into the clubhouse ,credit to them .Shame on the rest that couldn't be bothered ,Hardly a team United in defeat .Credit to Steve Massey who clapped the F troop at the end and came in the clubhouse briefly afterwards .He knows you can't buy support .

Classic example of team spirit verses 11 individual’s just there to pick up the money on offer! 

58 minutes ago, Footy_00 said:

Mr Edge and as you put it the slimmer assistant are actually two of the best refs in the county, card heavy yes, some dodgy decision maybe, but certainly didn't ruin the game imo

Then - Houston we have a problem

32 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Terry Wogan was from Ireland and the band were from Yorkshire. so not really in a position to dictate. Furry and Flora is a matter of opinion and I am definitely in a position to dictate lol. Think the players stayed away from the club to facilitate all the back-slapping from those Town boys who deserved it. Perhaps Steve Massey was looking for a handshake from the opposition management...….. 

33 minutes ago, le boss said:

Then - Houston we have a problem

Terry Wogan was from Ireland and the band were from Yorkshire. so not really in a position to dictate. Furry and Flora is a matter of opinion and I am definitely in a position to dictate lol. Think the players stayed away from the club to facilitate all the back-slapping from those Town boys who deserved it. Perhaps Steve Massey was looking for a handshake from the opposition management...….. 

Check out the welcome to helston sign !

😁😂🤣

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

(As they do????)

Do enlighten us all.

3 hours ago, le boss said:

3 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seems like the patched up, hastily pulled together, Falmouth side is being carried on a bit of an emotional wave at the moment.

Viva F-troop!

The support does seem to have an impact on the pitch ... never thought it could be at this local level but those Town guys must be a very happy bunch .. such a shame radio Cornwall decided to go to Truro City’s game today as this was a Cornish top fixture... 

I was at the game and I have to say against my wishes that Mr Edge had a great game and had no choice with the cards and correct in all 3 penalties. 

In 15 mins it was one all an 1 v 1 score and a mass brawl. With matt bye tried to get falmouth player send of but Mr Edge booked him for simulation I pursume because he tried to get him sent off for a headutt but all it was a chest 2 chest and the falmouh player for the tackle. Maty Bye was also sent in the sin bin as well and very lucky yo stay on this pitch.

Also the two sending offs where warrent for falmouth and the player for helston was on a yellow for a very late tackle and then then he pulls the shirt of a player who was going to shot resloving in a pen which could of been a straight red by Mr Edge gave him a 2nd yellow to help him out.

Then the gk for helson kick the ball over the hill  for his first caution and then after the final whistle the GK kicks the ball out of the groud down bickland hill. What a silly boy on a yellow and the GK does that.

I also.herd that the F Troop are getting report for singing that the helston players had a touch of a rapist And also singing a gary glitter song to helstons manager saying you want to be in my gang and also helston managers a        w @@@@!!! I just think this is sour grapes.

From a neutral point of veiw lots of cards but they were all justified. I travelled from London to see this and it was very entertaining and credit must be due the officials were great and deserve praise.

Doing my research tha Mr Edge the ref has done the final this year and cant do it again. But my view thinks that he should be able to do it again as he dont take no crap and had a good game today.

This is the 4th time I have been down to cornwall and Mr Edge been referee 3 times and he gets slated for doing his job but I watched him today was a correct. Watched the final was good and then watched him at sticker v helston there was no cards he was good.

There may have been 10 cards but were all given correcty in my view and Iam just  a fan. I wonder why there is a shortage of referees.

What an atmosphere from F Troop for a non league game.

12 hours ago, Footy_00 said:

Haha your both very funny.

13 hours ago, le boss said:

Haha imagine the complaint if you didn't have the ref and assistant for the game. What if the barman or tea lady had to ref it cos no one was available.

14 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Seems like the patched up, hastily pulled together, Falmouth side is being carried on a bit of an emotional wave at the moment.

Viva F-troop!

Why is it so difficult to field a full strength team so often, a lack of commitment comes to mind?

I remember a game last season where Shaun officiated... He had carded quite a few people and sent a couple off (3 or 4 if my memory serves me right)...  The forum went into absolute meltdown like it has this time around... Then one contributor came on and praised him, defended his decision to award cards... it's happened again.

I've seen on Twitter, one person stated "There was 15/16 bookings yet no bad challenges"... Do you guys understand the laws of the game that govern football? A challenge (foul) only covers a very small percentage of what a caution can be issued for. You have your penal offences and your technical ones. 

If there wasn't a bad tackle in the game, then this screams to me poor discipline. So, what can you be cautioned for without a bad challenge needing to be put in?

Dissent

Persistent infringement

Not respecting the required distance

Leaving/entering the field without permission

Attempting to deceive the referee

Changing places with the goalkeeper

Handles the ball

Unauthorized marks on the field

Plays the ball after asking permission to leave the field

Shows disrespect for the game

Circumventing the laws

Verbally distracts an opponent

Celebrating a goal in an incorrect manner

Delaying the restart of play

The list continues...

So, if there wasn't a bad tackle in the game... I'm no manager but it would appear the teams have Discipline issues.

The issue we face today is that Clubs feel like they have the right to treat match officials and others like crap. Reality check... You don't. The sooner footballers, managers etc learn this, the better. 

I've not officiated the first teams of Helston and Falmouth before but I have been on the line at their games plenty of times and I can say, on the whole they're usually good as gold. Maybe all the rhetoric across this platform and across social media took a grip on this game?

I've not worked with Shaun or seen him referee but from what I understand, he doesn't take any crap. It's about time more (including myself) took a leaf out of his book... Maybe, just maybe, Match Officials will start enjoying games, recruitment will see an increase and you can get three officials on a Senior Cup fixture?

Just my thoughts...

16 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

So, if there wasn't a bad tackle in the game... I'm no manager but it would appear the teams have Discipline issues.

Or was the referee overzealous in issuing cards?

Sometimes also the ref gets bought into awarding a free-kick for the way a player goes down after being "touched" and subsequently issues a card to the offender for what in reality was a nothing foul! Also witnessed this yesterday in the game I watched - Argyle at Forest Green Rovers!

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sometimes also the ref gets bought into awarding a free-kick for the way a player goes down after being "touched" and subsequently issues a card to the offender for what in reality was a nothing foul! Also witnessed this yesterday in the game I watched - Argyle at Forest Green Rovers!

Please Dave, do you really believe this happens????

I thought you were better than that.

1 minute ago, Dave Deacon said:

But that's not the refs fault Dave. The players become actors and make things appear much worse than they are. That's deception. Unless you 100% see what has happened, there will always be scope for a player to exaggerate. That's not the referees fault at all - managing it is... That's no easy task.

I've had games before where attitudes have been absolutely brilliant. I reffed a game last season - Helston Reserves v Perranwell in the Combo. No cautions... Three fouls in the whole game. No backchat - just two teams that wanted to play football and did so in a manner which has made me remember it! 

It's discipline in football... It's lacking and I for one am glad to see that it's starting to affect the teams that thought they couldn't be affected by it. Senior Cup... One official. It's unheard of. That's because we just don't have enough of them.

Look on that other thread - a referee has been blamed for a spectator running on the field to try and have a pop at someone. 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Hetty said:

This is the moment you lost me. He is the worst referee I’ve ever seen.  

He can't be that bad... He's reffing at a decent standard! He's a nice bloke off the field and takes no crap on it. The issue is, people expect him to manage and deal with situations... Sometimes, there comes a time when that just doesn't work.

1 minute ago, Dave Bartlam said:

But that's not the refs fault Dave.

I'm not saying it is the referee's fault!

However, this is why we hear used the phrase "there wasn't a bad tackle in the game", because there probably wasn't. For a lot of today's players, they have to man up, alongwith though some referees possibly not being so quick to wave a card!

Were the two assistants yesterday at the Falmouth match club officials or "official" officials? 

8 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

But that's not the refs fault Dave. The players become actors and make things appear much worse than they are. That's deception. Unless you 100% see what has happened, there will always be scope for a player to exaggerate. That's not the referees fault at all - managing it is... That's no easy task.

I've had games before where attitudes have been absolutely brilliant. I reffed a game last season - Helston Reserves v Perranwell in the Combo. No cautions... Three fouls in the whole game. No backchat - just two teams that wanted to play football and did so in a manner which has made me remember it! 

It's discipline in football... It's lacking and I for one am glad to see that it's starting to affect the teams that thought they couldn't be affected by it. Senior Cup... One official. It's unheard of. That's because we just don't have enough of them.

Look on that other thread - a referee has been blamed for a spectator running on the field to try and have a pop at someone. 🤦‍♂️

He can't be that bad... He's reffing at a decent standard! He's a nice bloke off the field and takes no crap on it. The issue is, people expect him to manage and deal with situations... Sometimes, there comes a time when that just doesn't work.

However, this is why we hear used the phrase "there wasn't a bad tackle in the game", because there probably wasn't. For a lot of today's players, they have to man up, alongwith though some referees possibly not being so quick to wave a card!

Were the two assistants yesterday at the Falmouth match club officials or "official" officials? 

Dave, they were match officials of the highest calibre. 

Think about the game itself. To say that there wasn't a bad tackle in the game FALMOUTH V HELSTON is either very naive or very blinkered. Its a local derby that required a no nonsense referee which is exactly what the game got.

They were two level five referees who lost their games to the weather so volunteered to go down and help Shaun out - let's be honest, that wouldn't have been a game you wanted to be alone on.

The problem that we have Dave is what players and managers and spectators etc want, what the referee wants and needs and what the laws state. If in any of the situations I've mentioned above have occurred, a card must be expected. The issue we have is that there are so many referees out there that are not straight down the line with the laws - when you get one that is,  everything comes as a shock. Who's in the wrong though? The one officiated to the letter ofthe law or the one that doesn't?

I wasn't at the game, I can't comment on it but the blame can't rest with Shaun.

22 minutes ago, Harry P said:

Work , injuries or family reasons maybe? ,more important things in life sometimes but I'd expect you to try and find a negative from a great day for OUR football club 🙄

Simply asked why a full team cannot be fielded time and time again What is negative about that, it’s a reality!

32 minutes ago, Stuart Kane said:

Dave, they were match officials of the highest calibre. 

Think about the game itself. To say that there wasn't a bad tackle in the game FALMOUTH V HELSTON is either very naive or very blinkered. Its a local derby that required a no nonsense referee which is exactly what the game got.

Were you there?

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I suspect the stats for number of cards shown/game by all our referees isn't available for public viewing, but would be interesting to see how they vary!

I often put up stats on bookings, sending offs, sporting marks etc on the Trelawny page for our league. I would imagine that our card count is nowhere near that of the SWPL though. 

This would be something that the SWPL have access to via their Whole Game System League Statements