Cornwall Football Forum

Vets League Cup 03-11-19

HALSETOWN   (1)   3      8’  55’  75’

ST.AGNES    (2)   6       Danny OHagen  50’ 70’ 72’  Kevin Allen  3’  Scott Goodchild  35’  Mark Rapsey 85’(Pen)

REF: Mr Dave Rowe 10/10 Excellent 

ATT:  17

MOM:  Danny OHagen

Finished my night shift at 8am, hung around Truro waiting for the text from manager Steve James to confirm the game was off before driving home! The rain had been crashing against the office window all night with a fair bit of wind thrown in, including from my ass after spending most of the the previous day puking up and pebble dashing the toilet. The expected text off Steve came through at 9.02 saying the game is ON!! Eh!?? WTF!! Joking! 🙄😳🤔 wound my seat back up and off to St.Ives rugby club then, drove straight up to the pitch on top the hill, blowing a gale and still pissing down! Reclined the seat back again for another 45  mins precious kip! Woke up at 10.15 dribbling better than George Best against Northampton so decided to go and see how bad the pitch was seeing it had stopped raining ️ Walked on to it and it was virtually dry!! Some wind on top that hill I tell you! Not from my ass either! Got back in the car to see 11c on the dash but felt more like 5c outside. Whacked on the heaters just as my team mates came over the hill knocking the ball about. Decided to continue with my chosen warm up and a quick chat with referee Mr Dave Rowe who I saw last month refereeing my lads game at Penryn and very good he was too which I told him! Refs need to be appreciated more in my opinion and they probably appreciate a bit of feedback good or bad, I know I would. Another ten minutes “warm up” on full blast with the engine running and I was honestly about to put my kit on when the missus turns up with my pre match meal of a medium Costa latte and a slice of Victoria sponge bless her! Not really your usual fuel ten minutes before kick off but acceptable after a busy 12 hour night shift I would say!!? 🤔 The hot coffee went down lovely to be fair as the match kicked off and we take a 3rd minute lead from the lively Kevin Allen who looked like he was carrying on from his 5 goals at St.Dennis last month with a shot from a narrow angle that seemed to go through the keeper?! Within 5 minutes the hosts were level when a great shot from 25 yards moved, blew with the wind and dipped over  Clarkey clipping the underside of the crossbar for good measure on the way in! Beauty to be fair. A couple of early injuries saw joint manager Kimmo running the line over the far side and after about 5 minutes the wife said poor old Kimmo looks freezing over there with his hood up. Guilt and respect for an old mate took over and it prompted me to get me kit on and go over and relieve Kimmo of his duties so he could go in the concrete dug out/stand/bunker type thing out the rain and watch the game. Certainly warmed me up anyway jogging up and down the line in an end to end game before Scott Goodchild produced a great run and shot just inside the far post 10 minutes before half time to put us 2-1 up. Nice goal for Scott being a Carbis Bay lad against his old mates. The second half saw my old mate DannyO score a 20 odd minute hat-trick with a trademark header and a couple of one on ones finished cool as you like into each corner slotted past the keeper. Forget the goals but is there a better target man still playing in Cornish football? Lovely to watch the way DannyO gets his body between his marker and the ball using his strength and class to hold off opponents and bring other players into play or turn them, class act, hard to believe he’s not playing for anyone on a Saturday at the moment, still loads to offer. To be fair our opponents were more than decent and quite physical as vets football goes and the score was soon at 5-3. I allowed the second goal to make it 3-2 as the first striker was in an offside position but made no attempt to go for the ball and the second striker was on when the ball got played across and came in around the back to finish. I can’t cheat and I know if I was the striker I’d be well pissed off if that was given offside but i couldn’t give it against a non active player who wasn’t involved in the move. Anyway it was time for my usual 20 minute cameo so I went back to the car to fetch my shin pads only to discover the Mrs had driven off in my warm car to get another coffee! In the end just as they made it 5-3 I decided to take the risk of going on shin guard less! The joys of changing in your car I suppose! My knees and shins are wrecked anyway!! Within 10 minutes we were awarded a penalty by Dave for a handball stonewaller with my name on it! Had a think, DannyO already had a trick, Scott already scored against his home team, so that’s it, it’s mine ain’t it! Luckily struck it well to send the keeper the wrong way and chalk up my 2007th goal. The plan is to reach 2020 by next year and retire in 2020, get it!!?? Hoping the knees will last 20 minutes every 3 weeks or so and I can do it!? Dan OToole covered every blade of grass, Scott played well against his old team, Rob Watt and Ronnie Sekawata looked solid at the heart of the defence with several others playing well too but DannyO gets the man of the match vote for me, great centre forward play and a hat-trick in his first game for weeks, quality!!! 👏🏼👌 Lovely bath when I got home, apparently I was snoring in it with me head just above the bubbles. All worth it though for the love of Cornish football and a bit of banter with the lads!! 👍💛🖤