Cornwall Football Forum

FA Vase day v Longlevens. The Packet End will be on fire

Next Saturday Falmouth take on Longlevens in the FA Vase after our demolition of Helston in the last round. Its going to be a special day with the 80's Vase team who reached the 1/4 finals in attendance and being presented in the clubhouse before the game. The F-Troop will be out in massive numbers, young and old. Its a full flag game. It will be a special day, win or lose but hopefully win. Lets get there and sing our hearts out for THE MIGHTY MIGHTY FALMOUTH.  

ftroop team.jpg

3 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

It should be a special day -lets hope the weathwer is kind to Bickland Park  on Saturday.

I am putting some notes together but does anyone remember who the physio was in that memorable run in 1986/87 ?

I know Dave Wadd (manager) would have been the team trainer being an ex Army PT instructer

It was Gordon ( rocky) Render, Mike .He's my neighbour and looking forward to meeting up with the boys next week .

Thanks Nige-I had a gut feeling but now I know I will have him on the list with the legends-it should be great occasion.

I know "Waddy didn't have an assistant as such but he had close contact with Reserve manager Keith Rashleigh  who supplied him  with the substitutes (only two per game then) so I am looking forward to seeing Keith on saturday.

Rocky what a legend Nige!! Loved by the players! Big John kit man as well, dressing room was a riot! Had so many laughs with those guys! 😂 💛🖤. Rocky’s hands were like sandpaper giving you a good rub in the winter! Came back from Florida one pre season and Rocky rubbed me tan off!!! Took about 3 layers of skin with his oil and horse linament Combo he bottled up!! What a team those boys were, gutted to miss that team by a couple seasons! 👏🏼👌👍️  Bet Tom got some great stories of those lads! 😍

Great to hear Rappo,  the 1987 1/4 finalist team fa vase tribute is around 1pm so get there sharp mate.  Gonna be a cracking day. 

Just now, Tommy Matthews said:

Had a message from Steve Rogers again today and he’s down for a long weekend and looking forward to seeing all the boys again. 

Great stuff Tommy.  Looking forward to this mate. 

6 hours ago, Porker said:

Well said Jeff Onwards and Upwards ...UTT

Cheers Porks 😊.  Your profile pic 😊 creases me up lol.😊

I remember him marking Chris Slateford at Bodmin. Chris was rapid and knocked the ball past Steve and gave him a run. Steve caught him up, tackled him and ran away with the ball as if he was just a kid. It was one of those moments when the new guard took over. 

A hell of a player and one you wouldn’t mess with either as he could stick up for himself. 

Took him and his wife nearly a nano second to agree to come down for this game and celebration. 

On 26/10/2019 at 21:35, Tommy Matthews said:

I remember him marking Chris Slateford at Bodmin. Chris was rapid and knocked the ball past Steve and gave him a run. Steve caught him up, tackled him and ran away with the ball as if he was just a kid. It was one of those moments when the new guard took over. 

A hell of a player and one you wouldn’t mess with either as he could stick up for himself. 

Took him and his wife nearly a nano second to agree to come down for this game and celebration. 

It shows Tommy that once a player has played for our great club, the club becomes part of you. Its  our history and tradition and our great ground, Bickland park. There is something really special about it. As a young teenage supporter from back in the 70's era, watching that legendary side win 8 titles on the bounce (4 SWL & 4 Western league) I understand it. I even had the honour to wear the black & amber shirt in 1980/81 season where I made my debut for the newly formed 2nd team, under the managerial partnership of Phil Wilkes & Dickie Robertson rip, alongside players like Paddy Scrace, Graham Heard, Simon Mills, Stevie Keppel, Gary Head, Steve Richardson, Nigel Molin, Rob Stephens, Geoff Moyle, Sean Mcdonald, Phil Kellow & a few others. It might have only been the reserves but it means the world to me mate. UTT. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

It shows Tommy that once a player has played for our great club, the club becomes part of you. Its  our history and tradition and our great ground, Bickland park. There is something really special about it. As a young teenage supporter from back in the 70's era, watching that legendary side win 8 titles on the bounce (4 SWL & 4 Western league) I understand it. I even had the honour to wear the black & amber shirt in 1980/81 season where I made my debut for the newly formed 2nd team, under the managerial partnership of Phil Wilkes & Dickie Robertson rip, alongside players like Paddy Scrace, Graham Heard, Simon Mills, Stevie Keppel, Gary Head, Steve Richardson, Nigel Molin, Rob Stephens, Geoff Moyle, Sean Mcdonald, Phil Kellow & a few others. It might have only been the reserves but it means the world to me mate. UTT. 

It’s not just the team Jeff, it’s the club! 

Fancy the lads on Saturday, we’ve done well against Hellenic league teams over the years. Longlevens are currently mid table, won 5 of their 12 games in the league this season. Towns cup record over the last few seasons been impressive to say the least. Hopefully F Troop will be that 12th man again to see Town through. Longlevens last 4 home crowds were 53, 50, and 34 in the league and 70 for the last round of the Vase. Hopefully a noisy 300+ at Bickland might put the wind up them on Saturday. Cmon the Town!!! 💛🖤

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Fancy the lads on Saturday, we’ve done well against Hellenic league teams over the years. Longlevens are currently mid table, won 5 of their 12 games in the league this season. Towns cup record over the last few seasons been impressive to say the least. Hopefully F Troop will be that 12th man again to see Town through. Longlevens last 4 home crowds were 53, 50, and 34 in the league and 70 for the last round of the Vase. Hopefully a noisy 300+ at Bickland might put the wind up them on Saturday. Cmon the Town!!! 💛🖤

Rappo, at a guess there will be around 300 F-Troop alone,  all packed behind the Packet End goal. Then all the "normal" :)  supporters who like to stand along the top and sit in the Grandstand. Everyone is really up for this game, its our biggest game of the season so far and the Town is buzzing by all accounts. Im getting loads of messages and calls from old mates who are dead excited. The FA Vase 1/4 finalists side of 86/87 are being presented to the fans at 1:15pm in the clubhouse before the game and also Bobby Hopkinson who had that horrible accident at Bickland park a couple of weeks ago is a special guest of our chairman  and the F-Troop. We even have a new song for Bobby sorted. The club is opening early for the Rugby World Cup Final so its gonna be one helluva day. Great to see you Saturday mate. Are you commentating for radio or just coming to watch ???

14 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

It doesn't appear the Reserves have a fixture so I guess thats a few more-or Penryn Athletic also not playing

Unless you are early I would suggest The industrial Estate for safe parking-just a few minutes walk.

I'll be at St Day watching our reserves  playing thanks

2 hours ago, silly billy said:

What's the parking like down that way? 

Big club car park. Plenty of parking. 

35 minutes ago, RAPPO said:

No media duties requested as yet Jeff so hopefully can be a member of the F Troop for an afternoon!?! See what it’s like on the other side of the fence mate! 👍😀💛🖤

Rappo. .the legend. .joining the F-TROOP. .Boom boom..it's getting better and better.  Make sure you get to the clubhouse early Rappo.  We're gonna have a party like 1999.  You've just made my day mate.  😊😊😊😊😊😚

Can I get an amber and black scarf in the clubhouse Jeff? Want one of those mate! I’m on night shift Friday and don’t finish until 8am, so the plan is to get back home in front the tv for 8.45 for the rugby final, watch us beat South Africa, couple of hours quick kip and get to Bickland for kick off and watch us beat them in the Vase! Back work Saturday night unfortunately but sounds like a decent day apart from the lack of sleep!? Spoke to Shappy this morning and he’s looking forward to the Vase party Jeff! See you Saturday mate 👍💛🖤👏🏼

Just now, RAPPO said:

Can I get an amber and black scarf in the clubhouse Jeff? Want one of those mate! I’m on night shift Friday and don’t finish until 8am, so the plan is to get back home in front the tv for 8.45 for the rugby final, watch us beat South Africa, couple of hours quick kip and get to Bickland for kick off and watch us beat them in the Vase! Back work Saturday night unfortunately but sounds like a decent day apart from the lack of sleep!? Spoke to Shappy this morning and he’s looking forward to the Vase party Jeff! See you Saturday mate 👍💛🖤👏🏼

I ordered a few scarves mate so Ive bagged you one. See if you can get there as early as possible as there's loads going on. Here's your scarf pictured in its bag ha ha. Love it. :) 

20191029_164504.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jeff Chambers said:

I ordered a few scarves mate so Ive bagged you one. See if you can get there as early as possible as there's loads going on. Here's your scarf pictured in its bag ha ha. Love it. :) 

20191029_164504.jpg

The vase party is going to be some special occasion Rappo. The F-Troop are really up for it. Those players from 1987 wont know  what's hit them when they climb that stage. They will love it in front of a packed clubhouse. Boom. Shappers was another awesome striker for the Mighty Falmouth Town.  

Just now, mattelot said:

You'l  have to sing the Allez ! Allez! Allez ! song whilst swinging your scarf around Rappo ,just like they do at Anfield. Might be a bit to much for a man Utd / spurs fan .😁😂🤣

We've done that Mallelot.  To "We'veconquered all Cornwall " chant.  😊😊

Just now, Goldeneye said:

Apparently if Falmouth score the F-Troop will wave their zimmer  frames in the air!

How rude Goldeneye.  Stand in the corner right now 😉

On 29/10/2019 at 16:56, Jeff Chambers said:

20191029_164504.jpg

Jeff, would I be able to have a couple of scarves from you on sat please. Will be up there for 1230 to watch the united game so can grab them ready for the big match. Cheers

onglevens F C  Formed 1954-Ground Saw Mills End
Another big football day sees the visit of Longlevens F C of The Hellenic Premier League (Step 5)  for this  2nd.Round Buildbase F A Vase tie.
We wish all associated with the Gloucester based club a very happy and enjoyable time here in Falmouth for what appears to be their first venture into Cornwall for a distance of 211 miles and 3hrs-40 mins on the road.
Longlevens is a suburb of Gloucester with a population at the last count of 9532
The club lie in 10th.position (5 wins-7 defeats) following a midweek 1-3 defeat at home to unbeaten league leaders Westfields F.C. The leading scorer to look out for is Bradley Martin 12 goals from 15 starts.

This afternoon we are delighted to have in our presence the members of the great Falmouth team that took us to the F A Vase Quarter Final in 1986/87
Manager Dave Wadd-Assistant Keith Rashleigh-Captain Ronnie Barr-Physio/Trainer Gordon Render

Extra Prelim.Rd. Home v Brislington (Somerset Senior League)       Won 5--0  Att.158
T.Matthews 2, G.Heard,C.Long,G.Wignall
Prelim Round      Away v Westbury United (Wilts) Western L.Div.1 Won  4--1  Att.80
G.Wignall 2,N.Phillips,R.Barr.
First Round         Home v Bristol Manor Farm (Western L.Prem)   Won   1--0  Att  227
N.Phillips.
Second Round     Away v Exmouth Town (Western L.Prem.)         Won  3--1  Att.287
N.Phillips 3.
Third Round          Away v Wimborne Town (Dorset) (Western L.1)Won  3--2  Att.216.
P.Shapcott 2,C.Long.

Fourth Round        Away v Clevedon Town (Avon) (Western L.Prem)      Won  1--0  Att.143  G.Wignall (Pen)

Fifth Round           Away v Witham Town (Essex League)              Won  2--1  Att.552

P.Shapcott, N.Phillips
Quarter Final         Away v St.Helens Town (N.W Counties L.)       Drew  1--1 aet  Att.920
C.Long
Q/Final Replay       Home v St.Helens Town (N.W.Counties L)        Lost  0--1  Att.1526
Players-
9  Starts. John Dent-Steve Rogers-Paddy Scrace-Graham Heard-Tommy Matthews-Ronnie Barr-Chris Thomas-Neil Phillips Phil Shapcott-Gary Wignall.
8 Starts Chris "Dodger" Long
1 Start Jonny Perrow
Substitutes Used/Unused (only 2 allowed then) Jonny Perrow-Stuart Wilkes-Kevin Swain-Paul Rundle-Adie Berks-Richard Tomlin-Guy Wignall-Dave Pimlott-Tony Kenealy-Neil Penwill.

Falmouth also reached the last 16 (5th.Round)-- 1987/88 Lost 1-2 Home v Chertsey Town in a replay  and 1994/95 Lost 1-5 Home v Belper Town.

The 2019/20 Buildbase F A Vase accepted 667 clubs to participate.
Q.Rd.1 £550   Bristol Telephones 1-Falmouth Town 3  (Att 61)---Longlevens  Bye
Q.Rd.2 £725  St.Blazey  1-Falmouth Town 3  (Att.215)          --- Longlevens 2-Newent Town 0  (Att.48)
1st.Rd. £825  Helston Athletic  1-Falmouth Town 5  (Att.689)  --- Longlevens 1--Cowes Sports 0  (Att.70).
2nd.Rd. £900 Falmouth Town  v  Longlevens
3rd.Rd. £1125  to be played Saturday 30th.November

The tie today will be completed with penalties if the scores are level after extra time.

Did You Know.
2001/02 F A Vase 2nd.Q/Rd. Town 2-- Gloucester United 1  aet D.Stevens,D.Burchell
Playing for the visitors was Craig Harris the son of The Shadows bass guitarist Jet Harris who later went on to have a No.1 Pop chart hit in Jan 63 with "Diamonds".
After the match Mark Spargo of Town signed for Gloucester Utd. as he was at Gloucester University.

Some of the programme notes

profile_mask2.png
michael odgers   Oct 30, 2019, 10:26 PM (11 hours ago)

4 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:
onglevens F C  Formed 1954-Ground Saw Mills End
Another big football day sees the visit of Longlevens F C of The Hellenic Premier League (Step 5)  for this  2nd.Round Buildbase F A Vase tie.
We wish all associated with the Gloucester based club a very happy and enjoyable time here in Falmouth for what appears to be their first venture into Cornwall for a distance of 211 miles and 3hrs-40 mins on the road.
Longlevens is a suburb of Gloucester with a population at the last count of 9532
The club lie in 10th.position (5 wins-7 defeats) following a midweek 1-3 defeat at home to unbeaten league leaders Westfields F.C. The leading scorer to look out for is Bradley Martin 12 goals from 15 starts.

This afternoon we are delighted to have in our presence the members of the great Falmouth team that took us to the F A Vase Quarter Final in 1986/87
Manager Dave Wadd-Assistant Keith Rashleigh-Captain Ronnie Barr-Physio/Trainer Gordon Render

Extra Prelim.Rd. Home v Brislington (Somerset Senior League)       Won 5--0  Att.158
T.Matthews 2, G.Heard,C.Long,G.Wignall
Prelim Round      Away v Westbury United (Wilts) Western L.Div.1 Won  4--1  Att.80
G.Wignall 2,N.Phillips,R.Barr.
First Round         Home v Bristol Manor Farm (Western L.Prem)   Won   1--0  Att  227
N.Phillips.
Second Round     Away v Exmouth Town (Western L.Prem.)         Won  3--1  Att.287
N.Phillips 3.
Third Round          Away v Wimborne Town (Dorset) (Western L.1)Won  3--2  Att.216.
P.Shapcott 2,C.Long.

Fourth Round        Away v Clevedon Town (Avon) (Western L.Prem)      Won  1--0  Att.143  G.Wignall (Pen)

Fifth Round           Away v Witham Town (Essex League)              Won  2--1  Att.552

P.Shapcott, N.Phillips
Quarter Final         Away v St.Helens Town (N.W Counties L.)       Drew  1--1 aet  Att.920
C.Long
Q/Final Replay       Home v St.Helens Town (N.W.Counties L)        Lost  0--1  Att.1526
Players-
9  Starts. John Dent-Steve Rogers-Paddy Scrace-Graham Heard-Tommy Matthews-Ronnie Barr-Chris Thomas-Neil Phillips Phil Shapcott-Gary Wignall.
8 Starts Chris "Dodger" Long
1 Start Jonny Perrow
Substitutes Used/Unused (only 2 allowed then) Jonny Perrow-Stuart Wilkes-Kevin Swain-Paul Rundle-Adie Berks-Richard Tomlin-Guy Wignall-Dave Pimlott-Tony Kenealy-Neil Penwill.

Falmouth also reached the last 16 (5th.Round)-- 1987/88 Lost 1-2 Home v Chertsey Town in a replay  and 1994/95 Lost 1-5 Home v Belper United.

The 2019/20 Buildbase F A Vase accepted 667 clubs to participate.
Q.Rd.1 £550   Bristol Telephones 1-Falmouth Town 3  (Att 61)---Longlevens  Bye
Q.Rd.2 £725  St.Blazey  1-Falmouth Town 3  (Att.215)          --- Longlevens 2-Newent Town 0  (Att.48)
1st.Rd. £825  Helston Athletic  1-Falmouth Town 5  (Att.689)  --- Longlevens 1--Cowes Sports 0  (Att.70).
2nd.Rd. £900 Falmouth Town  v  Longlevens
3rd.Rd. £1125  to be played Saturday 30th.November

The tie today will be completed with penalties if the scores are level after extra time.

Did You Know.
2001/02 F A Vase 2nd.Q/Rd. Town 2-- Gloucester United 1  aet D.Stevens,D.Burchell
Playing for the visitors was Craig Harris the son of The Shadows bass guitarist Jet Harris who later went on to have a No.1 Pop chart hit in Jan 63 with "Diamonds".
After the match Mark Spargo of Town signed for Gloucester Utd. as he was at Gloucester University.

Some of the programme notes

profile_mask2.png
michael odgers   Oct 30, 2019, 10:26 PM (11 hours ago)

Thanks Mike. I remember chris long as well. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

George Torrence must have joined in 87/88 season - always thought that he played in 86/87 FA Vase run.

Yes Mikey, George joined Falmouth  for the 1987/88 season from Maidstone United and formerley Football League with Brentford.

His Falmouth record  1987 - 1994       252 appearances and scoring 84 goals