Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash Strengthen

I see saltash have added Matt David from Tavistock to their ranks.  A quality signing and a player that shows Saltash really are committed to winning the league this year.  Another defender in the ranks which now means they have about 6.  So my question is, will this be a dual signing with Tavistock being a league up, although Tavi don't like their players doing that.  Or is the signing a player who is coming in as cover for a couple weeks until their injuries ease up?

Also hearing that Dan Hart is joining them from Launceston too. Another player who undoubtedly has quality but isn't the fittest and doesn't seem to be an obvious player they would look to.  But it's another signing that shows intent.

I wonder who the 3rd will be?  A Liskeard player they have chased for a while? A Torpoint player returning to the club? Who knows.....

Good luck to Saltash. They will certainly be there or there abouts come the end of the season!

For the record, I can confirm that player Matthew David has become a permanent addition to the squad and will not be here temporarily during the injury crisis. We are delighted to have been able to bring him in and look forward to him welcoming him to the squad ahead of Wednesday's match against St Blazey AFC. 

- Scott

Can’t agree with the above comments surrounding these new additions being permanent signings.

Saltash are experiencing injury and availability issues currently and when all back fit and available, these two players do not start ahead of others that would be available.

I know of 4/5 CBs at the club already and 3 club legends currently play CM so cant see either Hart or David featuring when a fit squad is available.

Both are talented players without doubt but struggle to see them bring permanent starters.

Biggest thing saltash will need to do is keep hold of Ryan Richards over anything else 

Best striker in the league by an absolute distance and won’t be long before the parkways , Tivertons and taunton come knocking  even more. , how much longer can saltash keep him  

parkway should be banging down his door already him and carter up front would walk parkway to the title  . 

Why didn’t Tavistock want him  . Crazy !! 

fair play to saltash for keeping him as I bet he can earn miles more elsewhere 

Saltash looking very strong for the title. 

Can't see why Ryan would want to move on. League's best striker, in the league's best team with the league's best manager. Big chance of captaining them to the title and promotion.

He's the main man at Kimberley and ,highly as i rate him, he wouldn't be at Parkway, Tiverton, Tavistock or Taunton.

2 hours ago, Roche Raider said:

Better than Goldsworthy?

Much better striker all round 

27 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Are these 2 signings really an improvement ?  Saltash are already a very good team.

Would say they improve the squad. If your going to win the title you need big squads now. Parkway worked that out when they were trying to win it. 

Of course the main question is, re all this player improvement - why do they want to win the league - is it for bragging rights only or promotion. This season they have a choice but next season if they win the league they have to accept promotion or be relegated - interesting. Of course by then the FA may have changed all the rules again !

The FA and the Peninsula League have stated that if a club can prove that promotion isn’t financially viable and couldn’t be maintained, those circumstances would be taken into account and promotion wouldn’t have to be taken!!!

Thats the get out of jail free card for any team!!

This was even talked about on one of the podcasts on a Friday.

5 hours ago, Home Waters said:

Of course the main question is, re all this player improvement - why do they want to win the league - is it for bragging rights only or promotion. This season they have a choice but next season if they win the league they have to accept promotion or be relegated - interesting. Of course by then the FA may have changed all the rules again !

I’ve been informed that promotion for champions is mandatory 

the team finishing second place gets the choice 

1 hour ago, teflon123 said:

The FA and the Peninsula League have stated that if a club can prove that promotion isn’t financially viable and couldn’t be maintained, those circumstances would be taken into account and promotion wouldn’t have to be taken!!!

Clubs can only use this reason once and then if they win it again they'll be expected to have done something about it and take promotion.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash have been down this road plenty of times and taken promotion to western leagues in the past. I think the issue they have alway has always been getting players to travel further  within the same small budget they have. 

Exactly and the reason they came back to the SWL or equivalent is because they couldn’t sub stain the running costs of competing in the Western league!! 

In terms of the 1995 resignation of Saltash and Liskeard from the Western League, it was always a case of which one blinked first. From memory it was Liskeard who submitted to resign and following on from a committee meeting Saltash followed. In the Ashes case, 20 years wasnt a bad run and Liskeard I think came up in 1978? 

I cant comment on the 2000s era for Saltash as I was living in Derbyshire, but Western 1 was a strong league from memory so would have been tough to get out of. 

The Western League has traditionally been Bristol based, but that's changed and ebbed and flowed over the years. I remember trips to Tivvy, Dawlish, Torquay, Barnstaple, Bideford, and Argyle to name a few so if under the FA it changes more West so be it. 

Times are a changing. You either hook up and go with it or stagnate.

I have to say the best Saltash side I have seen for a while was 3-4 seasons ago when they had Ryan Richards and Sam Hughes banging in loads of goals with Sam Stevens as a third striker, Richard Maddison, Lewis Edwards, David Trott, Luke Avis-riodan, Sam Leary, young lad called Callum forgot second name, Sam farrent, Lewis Russel, Callum O’Brien, dav barker, menners, Ryan Rickard, Henry Wilson. They were close to winning the league that season. 

51 minutes ago, Fifa king said:

I have to say the best Saltash side I have seen for a while was 3-4 seasons ago when they had Ryan Richards and Sam Hughes banging in loads of goals with Sam Stevens as a third striker, Richard Maddison, Lewis Edwards, David Trott, Luke Avis-riodan, Sam Leary, young lad called Callum forgot second name, Sam farrent, Lewis Russel, Callum O’Brien, dav barker, menners, Ryan Rickard, Henry Wilson. They were close to winning the league that season. 

Id agree with that, however they still ultimately won nothing!

Saltash have since won 2 cups and have now rebuilt what i think is a better squad than the one mentioned above due to the emergence of some really good young players such as Reece Thompson, Jamie Simmonds and Shaun Cleary.  

The reason Saltash are doing so well is because there players are loyal and have been with the club for years they are looking good for the league but my favourites for the league is still Helston .I was wandering how Tornado Bello and other players can turn out for other clubs in the week but play for another club at weekends i think this is all wrong last year Carter and Krac turned out for Bodmin and this year they turned out for Bodmin this should be stopped its not fair on the opposition The 4 top teams in this league in my opinion are SALTASH ,BODMIN ,ST AUSTELL AND FALMOUTH the rest are there just to make up the numbers and some of the smaller teams will continue get hammered by crazy scores the league last year was a lot better more quality teams ,but im quite enjoying thi league i can go and watch better quality matches this saturday i will be at St Blazey to watch them vs my title favourites Helston if its not pouring with rain ,was wandering when Liam Eddy will be fit for Helston if he can get in the team with Billy Tucker now signed and the impressive youngster Alfie Flack also there

With reference to players turning out as guests (or ringers to some) for clubs in different leagues, heard Buckland's Adam Castle on the Devon Football Show saying he had put a stop to there players doing this. He likened it to the clubs secretary going off and deciding to do it for another club in midweek. 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

With reference to players turning out as guests (or ringers to some) for clubs in different leagues, heard Buckland's Adam Castle on the Devon Football Show saying he had put a stop to there players doing this. He likened it to the clubs secretary going off and deciding to do it for another club in midweek. 

Surly it’s the managers who ok their players to go and help out another team. I understand Darren Gilbert ask lee Hobbs directly so if the manager is ok with it ,you can’t feally blame the players. 

I find it crazy only last night 2 players are prob out for long term with serious injury imagine if that carter turning out for Bodmin just to help out. 

12 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Surly it’s the managers who ok their players to go and help out another team. I understand Darren Gilbert ask lee Hobbs directly so if the manager is ok with it ,you can’t feally blame the players. 

I find it crazy only last night 2 players are prob out for long term with serious injury imagine if that carter turning out for Bodmin just to help out. 

If Carter got injured , we would be right up the creek without a paddle . He's been a very important player for us so far this season.

10 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

If Carter got injured , we would be right up the creek without a paddle . He's been a very important player for us so far this season.

Guess that's why Parkway have brought in Craig Duff from Bideford. Too risky having Adam Carter as your only front player.

Too get back on topic, Saltash added good strength in depth, but would struggle to replace Ryan Richards if he was out for any period of time. Don't know if Sam Hughes is missing through injury or work commitments, or if Jason Vincent has now gone back to uni. Thomson and Simmonds are decent young players, but probably too soon for them to fill any gap left by Richards not being available .

On 17/10/2019 at 13:31, Hetty said:

Id agree with that, however they still ultimately won nothing!

Saltash have since won 2 cups and have now rebuilt what i think is a better squad than the one mentioned above due to the emergence of some really good young players such as Reece Thompson, Jamie Simmonds and Shaun Cleary.  

Agree that was a fantastic squad but much in its infancy from Cusack and Bunney's tenure - all they've done is add very few in quality to that squad, lost some of the less committed and injured lads, and kept a core of a team that plays for each other and their club. 

Best thing that happened to Saltash was the league splitting and other teams taking promotions.

That means they were never able to come up against the teams they could never compete with over the last 3/4 seasons therefore meaning they will now have a chance of winning some League Silverware (still think Mousehole will pip them to it).

Cups are nice to win but are a short celebration. League titles are what define you as a team and Saltash have come way short on that front.

On 23/10/2019 at 01:55, teflon123 said:

Might as well finish 14th.

Get nothing for finishing 4th.

Nobody remembers the 4th place team.

Might as well finish 14th? One of the worst shouts I've seen on here. Going by that reasoning let's just see how the league is after 5 games of the season and then let the top two just play each other every weekend until it's finished.