Cornwall Football Forum

Miles to Travel if you win the league and go up to the Western league

After my rant yesterday I have taken the time to list the miles that many Cornish fans and players will have to travel to fulfill the Western league next year. I have missed out on the Devon teams as most no where they are 

Good luck on the eventual winners of our league mite have to invest in players further up country. 

Bradford town 192 miles from Helston 

4hours  47 mins one way. 

202 miles from Mousehole 4h 57 mins. 

Bridgewater  147 miles 3h 33 mins from Helston. 

157 miles from Mousehole. 3h 55 mins. 

Westbury United. 192 m 4h 41m Helston.

201 miles from Mousehole 4 h 57 

Clevedon Town, 173m 4h 09m Helston

182 m from Mousehole 4h 24 

Button, 199m 4h 50 Helston

207m from Mousehole 5h 06

Street 162m 3h 57 Helston

172m from Mousehole 4h 08

Hallen 184m 4h 31 Helston. 

193m from Mousehole 4h 45

Shelton Mallet 168m Helston

178 from Mousehole

Bridlington 187m Helston

197 from Mousehole

Cribbs 185m Helston

195m from Mousehole

Odd down Bath 182m Helston

192 from Mousehole

Cadbury Health 196 Helston

296 from Mousehole

keynsham Town 189 Helston

195 from Mousehole

Bridport 145 from Helston

156m from Mousehole

Chipping Sodbury town 195 Helston

204 from Mousehole

Roman Glass At George 185 Helston

194 from Mousehole

Wellington 135 Helston

144 from Mousehole. 

Travelling is a price you pay for living in cornwall no trip away is more than a day long, the fixtures are printed long before the season starts so should be no problem to organise  your life around,if you're prepared to pay your players to win this league you should be prepared to pay them to step up, too much negativity with this travelling thing, you won't be travelling by horse and cart so clubs should adapt and get on with it.

1 hour ago, hoppit said:

Travelling is a price you pay for living in cornwall no trip away is more than a day long, the fixtures are printed long before the season starts so should be no problem to organise  your life around,if you're prepared to pay your players to win this league you should be prepared to pay them to step up, too much negativity with this travelling thing, you won't be travelling by horse and cart so clubs should adapt and get on with it.

Easy to say that but not all of us have the finances in place. I cannot afford the £6 to attend home games.

5 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

Easy to say that but not all of us have the finances in place. I cannot afford the £6 to attend home games.

Alan how many more times ,do we have to say ,you wouldn't pay £6 , because as you keep telling us you are an O.A.P ,even though your still working to put bread on the table .

2 hours ago, mattelot said:

Alan how many more times ,do we have to say ,you wouldn't pay £6 , because as you keep telling us you are an O.A.P ,even though your still working to put bread on the table .

Merely saying that not everyone can afford luxuries in life, not slanging anyone off. Will be following twitter from Helston tomorrow!

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

Merely saying that not everyone can afford luxuries in life, not slanging anyone off. Will be following twitter from Helston tomorrow!

Do the world and favour and do away with your internet then. Win win, you wouldn't be on here being annoying people and you would have money to go and watch football 👍

I think in fairness, with the teams being pooled, some of those teams in the East will be moved to the Hellenic and Wessex (Bridport).

The plan is to get the Western more West based than Bristol. So I'd expect the likes of Odd Down, Westbury, Chipping Sodbury, Bradford Town etc to go Hellenic. Chipping Sodbury should have gone this season but with 4 coming up from SWPL they'll be little to no grounds for appeal as they did this year.

Would rather Falmouth Town came 2nd and missed promotion. Love travelling around Cornwall with the F-Troop. Wouldn't want to be playing loads of games 200 odd miles away. Where would it all lead ?, diminishing crowds and unless a club is prepared to spend big money paying players, a beating most weeks. No not for me thanks.

7 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Would rather Falmouth Town came 2nd and missed promotion. Love travelling around Cornwall with the F-Troop. Wouldn't want to be playing loads of games 200 odd miles away. Where would it all lead ?, diminishing crowds and unless a club is prepared to spend big money paying players, a beating most weeks. No not for me thanks.

Don’t worry.  Falmouth are not going up 

12 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Second is a promotion spot this season.

12 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Lets hope the management of any of the teams at the top of the league don't have such a negative attitude, or they will be accused of throwing matches to finish in second place.
Some teams are on a beating most weeks, but still turn out with their support in tow.

2 minutes ago, Richard Rundle said:

We may be wrong but isn't it optional if finishing second?

24 minutes ago, We Two said:

We may be wrong but isn't it optional if finishing second?

Yes as SWPL secretary Phil Hiscox recapped on this week’s CORNISH SOCCER Podcast because they’re doubling up this season to get the ‘perfect pyramid’ “The Champions club promotion is mandatory and the second placed club is expected for one year.”

However, the second placed club must have Ground G grading agreed by 31st March 2020, irrespective of the dispensation some SWPL clubs received last season.

13 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Why not look at it as the F-Troop on tour, an adventure with your mates? Great day out going to grounds in the Western League, sure a lot of treasurers would love a  coach load of hungry and thirsty Cornishman arriving. 

The F-troop in full voice at Parkway (If they're still in step 5 ), Exmouth or Bridgwater could be quite a thing.

6 hours ago, Hetty said:

Don’t worry.  Falmouth are not going up 

Good. 

1 hour ago, Richard Rundle said:

OK what about 3rd lol. If Helston win the title and get promoted where's it gonna lead them? . They won't go anywhere,  they won't take any fans away,  they will probably get stuffed most weeks and Massey will have to fork out even more money.  Then one day he does a runner. . Not for the first time 😉, then little Helston will probably fold.  Great eh. .like I said. .promotion to what?  Oblivion. 

Just now, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Helston won't fold, very well run club.

Western league is the aim I believe and with half a dozen Exeter based players it sort of won't matter if they get there.

One eye on step 5 life already. Steve Massey spoke earlier in the season of how they had identified players they would be targeting for Western League football.

Some of the retoric on here is unbelievable,  A team afraid to win the league they play in ? oblivion if you do ? fans won't travel ? Get stuffed and lose most weeks, Wow thats one supporter most clubs would rather avoid.
We don't think Westy would agree he doesn't want to win the league given the opportunity.

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Some of the retoric on here is unbelievable,  A team afraid to win the league they play in ? oblivion if you do ? fans won't travel ? Get stuffed and lose most weeks, Wow thats one supporter most clubs would rather avoid.
We don't think Westy would agree he doesn't want to win the league given the opportunity.

I bet grumpy Chambers is a right blast at parties!!!!

Let's wait and see me proved right. ..as always.  Go for it with players who care nothing about your club,  who live 150 miles away and are just chasing the brown envelopes.  Falmouth Town,  the most successful club in Cornwall will always be bigger and better than Helston. Falmouth Town FC, a club with a local chairman, manager & players that's being run within budget and with unparalleled support.  Western league. .You're avin a laff haha squawk squawk. 

WOAH! Careful there Jeff, your previous success was achieved in exactly the same way as other clubs are doing now.

Falmouth nearly went bankrupt doing the same thing, but learned their lesson and now run with a bit more common sense involved, but if you climb the ladder...who knows what you may have to do again.

Don't get too carried away in the moment. 

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:33, Dave Deacon said:

Yes as SWPL secretary Phil Hiscox recapped on this week’s CORNISH SOCCER Podcast because they’re doubling up this season to get the ‘perfect pyramid’ “The Champions club promotion is mandatory and the second placed club is expected for one year.”

However, the second placed club must have Ground G grading agreed by 31st March 2020, irrespective of the dispensation some SWPL clubs received last season.

May 2020 could be very interesting then.

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

There is also another massive problem taking promotion to the Western League and higher,  namely wives, girlfriends and kids!!

Why will wives and kids be a problem?All the top teams in any sport in Cornwall travel  up country it's only mens football that seems to have the problem. The Cornwall darts teams travel as far as as Durham and Cumbria, that's 2 men's teams and 2 ladies teams all on the same weekend, leave Friday night get back Sunday night, don't get paid, so what is the problem? 

Edited by hoppit
Punctuation

46 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

WOAH! Careful there Jeff, your previous success was achieved in exactly the same way as other clubs are doing now.

Falmouth nearly went bankrupt doing the same thing, but learned their lesson and now run with a bit more common sense involved, but if you climb the ladder...who knows what you may have to do again.

Don't get too carried away in the moment. 

Very true.  That's why we're happy where we are.  It's all new to the smaller clubs that have come into some money.  Let's just sit back and watch it all unfold lol 

Just now, hoppit said:

Why will wives and kids be a problem?All the top teams in any sport in Cornwall travel  up country it's only mens football that seems to have the problem. The Cornwall darts teams travel as far as as Durham and Cumbria, that's 2 men's teams and 2 ladies teams all on the same weekend, leave Friday night get back Sunday night, don't get paid, so what is the problem? 

As an wx dart player I would like to add that these County dart teams play once a month.  So only travel once every two months.  Big difference.  

Would love to hear what the managers of the clubs concerned with the opinions offered on here have to say.
Do we really believe that they don't want to win the league, and if that is the case, how do they intend to avoid winning it if they are good enough.
Mr Chambers opinions certainly don't sit well with Westys pre season interviews.

1 hour ago, We Two said:

Would love to hear what the managers of the clubs concerned with the opinions offered on here have to say.
Do we really believe that they don't want to win the league, and if that is the case, how do they intend to avoid winning it if they are good enough.
Mr Chambers opinions certainly don't sit well with Westys pre season interviews.

Do you really think any manager would come on here just to be subjected to abuse and rhetoric from people like Mr Chambers?? I would really love to know if his vitriol is the consensus of all the F Troop and Falmouth Town FC or is he a loan wolf. Is his deep seated loathing aimed solely at the Helston manager or at Helston as a whole? All that Plymouth air has obviously affected his rationale!!!!!

3 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Very true.  That's why we're happy where we are.  It's all new to the smaller clubs that have come into some money.  Let's just sit back and watch it all unfold lol 

As an wx dart player I would like to add that these County dart teams play once a month.  So only travel once every two months.  Big difference.  

Yes but they are away all weekend so that curtails that argument, they also travel more than twice as far in some cases.No match requires an overnight stay in the higher league so I can see no argument. All the top Cornish teams men and women travel, so get on with it. As for clubs not trying to win the league if. that's the case then they are in the wrong business, go shopping Saturdays instead.

6 hours ago, hoppit said:

Do they do that travelling every other week and also on several evenings throughout the season. Does the darts season last for 10 months? 

On 20/10/2019 at 12:26, Way Of The Park said:

One eye on step 5 life already. Steve Massey spoke earlier in the season of how they had identified players they would be targeting for Western League football.

Part of the 20/20 vision.

Would like to know how many of the Helston Under 18s who have just reached the 1st Round of the FA Youth Cup feature in a Helston side currently.

41 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Part of the 20/20 vision.

Would like to know how many of the Helston Under 18s who have just reached the 1st Round of the FA Youth Cup feature in a Helston side currently.

20/20 vision was about winning the league by 2020. It’s actually nothing to do with young players. 

8 hours ago, le boss said:

Do you really think any manager would come on here just to be subjected to abuse and rhetoric from people like Mr Chambers?? I would really love to know if his vitriol is the consensus of all the F Troop and Falmouth Town FC or is he a loan wolf. Is his deep seated loathing aimed solely at the Helston manager or at Helston as a whole? All that Plymouth air has obviously affected his rationale!!!!!

Not abused anyone Le Boss. No way. Just stated that little clubs relying on one mans deep pockets venturing down the money road is a recipe for disaster. Only offering my opinion, which is what this forum is all about, isn't it ? Geographically clubs from deep down in Cornwall are up against it when being asked to travel 100's of miles midweek or even weekends when all players and supporters have full time jobs. Just prefer the Falmouth way of all local talent, local management team and building a fan base that will last for years to come. Its nice to win, of course, but creating a lasting dynasty of local people and players who genuinely care for the club is far more important.  

Don't think you're quite right there Jeff. 

My understanding of it is the club and the manager are all on board with the vision of 20/20 and possible climb up the pyramid. 

Helston appear to be a solid club and funds to match theirs and the managers ambition, it is a joint venture I have heard with a top up to the clubs own budget being supported by an individual. 

If/when it goes tits up Helston will still be viable/soluble based on plans in place, something other clubs did not do.

No doubt they will enjoy the ride like other clubs have in the past, but maybe not with the threat of bankruptcy and losing their ground as the final outcome. 

All of the above remains to be seen of course.