Cornwall Football Forum

Where have all the young referees gone from this league. Looking at fixtures for 12.10.19 and they are all older referees. Have the younger referees been promoted to the SWPL or knocked down to the combo league for these aging referees? I understand experience etc but bring on the young blood. If they have been pushed up to the SWPL thats great for cornish football.

All great refs but a little seasoned thats all. I know of 4 refs who were pushed up to ref SWPL games yet they cant pass the basic fitness test and they are local refs mark rose, john green, elliot green and jamie mooney. Im sure if they work hard this season on fitness they will make excellent "level 4s". I dont understand why luke wilkes hasnt gone for level 4 yet. Hes one of the best around far better than the above 4 who have been promoted out of desperation and needing them. Luke could walk 4 and make 3 easily. The guy is amazing and fit as a racing horse ran a marathon previously.

3 hours ago, Maler10 said:

Marc Rose is one of the best refs around! When I’ve watched him he’s always keeping up with play etc, don’t dwell on a fitness test! Also he’s not long out of playing so let’s things flow as much as he can which is great to see. 

Rose is good but not anywhere near the top yet. I know his dads names helped him ALOT opened the right doors. His fitness let him down at times ive seen him struggle to give the shout as hes far away. However he is a great referee. Not SWPL PREMIER quality yet though but a great combo or st piran referee. As for one of the best around id say luke wilkes that guy is amazing. Far better than the other fast trackers. 

4 hours ago, yeww said:

We are lucky to have them, who cares about their fitness! 

How often do you hear complaints about circle referees. Rose and the greens need to work on it seriously. 5 years ago they wouldn't have made it out of trelawny with the fitness they have. 

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Great to see George Pattison in charge for the Penryn v Perranporth game on Saturday. Top game and top ref 👏🏼👍

Yes mark i agree here how does he always find the right area to be in and match control is second to none. George and luke are to of the true elites

You do realise that these referees read this forum don’t you? I think it’s quite appalling  that you are calling them out for their fitness levels. This isn’t the Premier League, they aren’t going to be elite athletes. Have you ever considered that some of these may not actually want to ref at SWPL level and are doing so to help the Appointments Officer out? I’m as fit as any referee in Cornwall - I smash the fitness test each year but I’m not anywhere near the best. At this level, fitness is good to have for that extra ten yard run into the corner for a turn out of the exit zone, however it’s not essential. Each of the referees you’ve called out are more than capable of reffing well in that League!

And people wonder why there are a lack of officials!

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

You do realise that these referees read this forum don’t you? I think it’s quite appalling  that you are calling them out for their fitness levels. This isn’t the Premier League, they aren’t going to be elite athletes. Have you ever considered that some of these may not actually want to ref at SWPL level and are doing so to help the Appointments Officer out? I’m as fit as any referee in Cornwall - I smash the fitness test each year but I’m not anywhere near the best. At this level, fitness is good to have for that extra ten yard run into the corner for a turn out of the exit zone, however it’s not essential. Each of the referees you’ve called out are more than capable of reffing well in that League!

Well said.

Let's talk about the players abilities...lol

8 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well said.

Let's talk about the players abilities...lol

Come on Older, you should know that players are seldom wrong, it's the referees fault they handle a ball, trip up an opponent or abuse a linesman.
Perhaps mr Green would like to update the refs on how fit they should be and their knowledge of the rules of the game !!

42 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Absolutely. George Pattison is not the fastest thing around the park, but he does a great job every game. Fine referee - doesn't miss a thing and gets plaudits every game.

Good referees are like good players. They don’t have to be the quickest because they are always in the right place at the right time. George is the best we have. How many times has the whistle gone & players start screaming ‘ no way ref ‘ only to look up & find George stood next to them, that’s top refereeing. 

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I think I know who it is posting... If I'm right, he's got history of slating referees 👀 Especially the ones he's picked on in the original post 👀👀

The definition of a keyboard warrior. 

Now looking to get back into football again on another thread...best of luck with that!

On 08/10/2019 at 15:16, Mr.green said:

All great refs but a little seasoned thats all. I know of 4 refs who were pushed up to ref SWPL games yet they cant pass the basic fitness test and they are local refs mark rose, john green, elliot green and jamie mooney. Im sure if they work hard this season on fitness they will make excellent "level 4s". I dont understand why luke wilkes hasnt gone for level 4 yet. Hes one of the best around far better than the above 4 who have been promoted out of desperation and needing them. Luke could walk 4 and make 3 easily. The guy is amazing and fit as a racing horse ran a marathon previously.

Mr.Green you clearly know very little about the promotion and fitness pathway. You are probably unaware that these local refs  get observed by the county by the likes of Luke Wilkes etc and a report is provided. I can tell you now for a fact that John Green got the highest score for fitness in his last observation.

Have you actually seen these referees in a game to actually make you're asessments of their fitness?

How you can comment that they are seasoned and because the county is desperate for referees that why's they have been promoted again you're wrong. Refs have to go through a series of tests, observations, club points to make promotion each season its not just 'we need referees let's push them up'. 

Also if you were to your research you would know that only Marc and John have actually done the SWPL and this is through games be assigned to them not asking for these games. 

You wonder why the referees are slightly older is because people like you knock the confidence out of people and the younger referees feel under pressure to go further.

On 08/10/2019 at 23:00, Dave Bartlam said:

Well said Dave perhaps mr green should take up the whistle !!!!

On 08/10/2019 at 15:47, yeww said:

We are lucky to have them, who cares about their fitness! 

I think mr green is a reff but obviously a very jealous one that the 4 above names are better and if I think it’s who it is they are much much better we have had 2 of them this season and have been brilliant keep up the good work guys and forget the reff bashing you receive!!!

On 08/10/2019 at 15:16, Mr.green said:

Wow 

I think refs get enough  stick on match day , then to be questioned  about fitness ,  without  the refs and there are less and less each season the game as we know it will be finished very soon ,  with clubs being told games have to be played with out official refs , let's back them not slate them .😈

2 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

At the game I reffed last week. There was an experienced referee watching who had not registered this year.

Martin I wonder why that is ? , perhaps  posts like these question why give up your time  to get picked apart on social media , don't forget refs are only good  as the teams playing , meaning make them welcome  , have some banter on and of the pitch , they want to enjoy their  football just like the players  and supporters  .