Cornwall Football Forum

Every week we see on Match of the Day really tight decisions, coloured lines drawn on freeze frames to determine whether a forward was a millimetre onside or not that are impossible to spot in real time by fully qualified, well-paid officials trying to enforce a phenomenally complicated offside law.

Every week we get complaints on here about controversial decisions made by volunteer and/or unqualified and/or press-ganged and/or unpaid linesmen who may, or may not, be acting in an entirely unbiased fashion also trying to enforce that same phenomenally complicated law.

Could somebody please explain how the above scenarios are nevertheless still preferable to just getting rid of offside altogether?

Darin, I often pondered the same thing , but " experts " tell me that it wouldn't work  because , to use an old schoolboy expression , players would goal hang . Perhaps this is true but common sense ( a rare commodity today ) would say that both teams would do it so it would cancel out  . I totally agree with you , its the cause of most controversy at all levels of football . Several attempts to alter the rule have been made but most have led to even more confusion and controversy . Surely it would be worth it to experiment with no offside in a lower league , the National league for example , just to see if it works . You obviously couldn't try it at  village football level for obvious reasons , lack of feedback on the result etc. As you point out , it would make life a lot easier for the sub pressganged into running the line at Mevagissey or wherever  on a Saturday afternoon .

As I've often admitted on this forum it's easy to be critical of authorities and rule makers  but this seems an obvious idea to try .

Torrential rain up here in Norfolk  I thought I'd post to pass the time !!!!!!!!! 

I don't suggest that this idea wouldn't have faults , anymore than Darin probably does , but there must be a solution to the problems with offside which seems to blight the game and always has .Does a player with his back to the goal and with his heel in an offside position gain an advantage .?

On a brighter note the rain has stopped up here and Wolves won so all's well with the world .

I think and I'm sure Older and the 2 B's would agree , that all this problem surrounding officials decisions , cheating etc.  has  appeared to be getting worse is that it is magnified by television . Historically there must have been handballs , were they weren't  they bookable , fouls , iffy handballs and so on . Until the mass  saturation of football on television ( plus the awful reality shows !!!!!) there was very little football shown , plus the picture quality was not that good . And of course you only had Brian Moore  or Jimmy Hill presenting it not the legions of pundits . Most people only saw live football at the ground and whatever happened  you had to make your mind up at that moment because the event wouldn't be replayed so you couldn't have a second or third look at it .Today at most grounds there are screens showing you the incident again so you get another chance to see it .Coupled with the massive amounts of money involved this has led to  more importance being put on wrong decisions .Premiership football is no longer about entertainment , it's all about winning unfortunately . Although I live in the wilds of Norfolk in the 60's I used to regularly go to London to watch Chelsea or Q.P.R.  and don't think that there was so much emphasis on winning then , 0f course it was much better entertainment  if your team got the win as well .

I'll probably read this tomorrow and think " what a load of nonsense I've posted .

Correct fenman.

Football is at saturation point, analysed to death, every decision dissected 10 times, atrocious behaviour tolerated, and money paid at ludicrous levels.

Football is in the moment with all its faults and dodgy decisions,  leave it alone and go back to what we had. 

Match of the day with no playback, make your decision on what you see in real time like the referee's see it.

Not going to happen is it?

Do what I do, record it and fast forward past all the bunk that they have tagged onto the greatest game of all.

Unfortunately it is becoming like American Football.  Football is by and large a fluid game.  The introduction of VAR has raised many points.  What I don't understand is that offside was awarded for SEEKING TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE.   Who is taking advantage when a defender suddenly moves up and leaves an attacker in an offside position.  The other point is it has to be clear and obvious. When a camera shows all the different lines to show offside by a millimetre or so.  Why is the camera not taking into account just when a ball is kicked.  We see a player striking a ball but when does it actually move off the foot.  Where is the little lines there.  

Now it seems any part of the body be it torso, head, hand or foot decides, yet it does not seem to take into account the actual striking of the ball.  Perhaps VAR can take this into account when a decision is made.     

14 hours ago, ECPL said:

Unfortunately it is becoming like American Football.  Football is by and large a fluid game.  The introduction of VAR has raised many points.  What I don't understand is that offside was awarded for SEEKING TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE.   Who is taking advantage when a defender suddenly moves up and leaves an attacker in an offside position.  The other point is it has to be clear and obvious. When a camera shows all the different lines to show offside by a millimetre or so.  Why is the camera not taking into account just when a ball is kicked.  We see a player striking a ball but when does it actually move off the foot.  Where is the little lines there.  

Now it seems any part of the body be it torso, head, hand or foot decides, yet it does not seem to take into account the actual striking of the ball.  Perhaps VAR can take this into account when a decision is made.     

fortunately the words SEEKING TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE were removed many years ago, I would say at least 10.

VAR is used to check any goal for a possible offside infringement - offside is a non subjective decision - it is onside or offside, so they use the freeze frame to work out when the ball is played.

Things like red card offences and penalties etc are the ones that need to meet the CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERROR as they are subjective decisions.

And yes any part of the body that can legally play the ball are used to judge offside.  This means in real terms - any part of the attackers body excluding the hands and arms need to be fractionally nearer to the goal than any part of the 2nd defenders body (excluding the hands and arms). So in horse racing terms the attacker could be offside by a nose

6 minutes ago, Jason Prynne said:

VAR has no effect on the local game but cheating club linos have a major effect.

Well done , and in a nutshell this  is why less volunteers  are getting involved  in club football , if you are  worried  about cheating  , get on a course and pick up the flag  and  do a far better job ,  when you have done it for a few years come back on here and let us all know how it's done. 

1 minute ago, Postman Pat said:

Trouble is in the eyes of people like yourself, if the decision does not go your way then the assistant is a cheat.

Not allowed mistakes , even top class officials  get it wrong , and they are  paid a wage , where as like yourself you do 101 things before a ball is kicked , and suprisingly  nobody what's to take over from you .   Glad things are looking up Martin  for your club , and keep up the good work that goes to all linos and refs , no matter what level 

3 minutes ago, Jason Prynne said:

Stevie B & Postman pat just get a room & when you partners find out just say it was only a" mistake" were not ""cheating 

Been called that , I've packed in after one combo game last season , threatened  with being knocked  out called a **** several  times , after the game told hope you drop dead you old **** , had enough  and all for free done it for years , postman pat is a top bloke and like several club linos I have come  across  over the years they try their  best don't  t always get it right but that's football  ,  to be honest  have not come  across any cheating , perhaps been lucky , not sure what league you play in , but if as you say Cheating is taking place refs would pick that up very quickly  I would have thought  . 

The problem seems to be especially at the lower level a linesman (sounds better than assistant) raises his/her flag because they have anticipated that someone is offside or a ball is out of play.  When in fact it is neither.  I don't call it cheating but anticipation is a curse upon our game.  The question is how do you teach someone about something that takes a mili second.  A ball can travel a distance in a mili second. So why does the VAR not check the striking of the ball when they make their decision.  I defy anyone to get it right, so a millimetre or so cannot be used as to whether a player is offside. The attacker must be given the benefit of the doubt.