Cornwall Football Forum

Referees please help

Hi can any please explain the new goal kick law. I refereed for the first time this season today. I was completely lost regards the new goal kick law. My interpretation is the attacker can enter the box but not touch the ball until the defensive side has touched the ball after the goal keeper. I’ve asked a couple people since with different answers. I don’t mind if I got it wrong today as I consistently got it wrong but if it was wrong I’d like to be able to do it right next game. Many thanks 

39 minutes ago, coady-9 said:

Hi can any please explain the new goal kick law. I refereed for the first time this season today. I was completely lost regards the new goal kick law. My interpretation is the attacker can enter the box but not touch the ball until the defensive side has touched the ball after the goal keeper. I’ve asked a couple people since with different answers. I don’t mind if I got it wrong today as I consistently got it wrong but if it was wrong I’d like to be able to do it right next game. Many thanks 

Download the IFAB app and save it to your main screen.  It gives you access to  LOAF and the recent law changes, it's  a free app  so won't  cost you anything.  Attacking  players must be outside of the penalty area when the kick  is taken. The ball is in play as soon as it is kicked. 

Hi Coady, defensive players can be anywhere they like, attacking players MUST be outside of the penalty area until the ball is played by whoever is taking the goal kick.

As soon as the ball obviously moves it is in play, and can be played by anyone before leaving the penalty area

If an attacker is in the penalty area, because a quick goal kick is taken, or they enter before the kick is taken they are not permitted to play the ball, or challenge a defender in the area.  If this happens the goal kick is retaken. If they do not get involved, you can play on

Hope this helps

4 hours ago, AmberM said:

Unfortunately the FA were obsessed with rolling out training on Sin Bins (which let’s face it have no real place in kids football until mid teens at the earliest).  Yet they offered no support whatsoever for parent volunteers who officiate at youth games about changes to laws of the game. 

There were at least three laws of the games meetings held around the county which all clubs were invited to!

What I don't understand is that it seems to state that a ball has TO MOVE.  It used to be the ball had to travel it's full circumference just like any free kick etc .  Does that mean now that it need only move an inch or so.    

13 hours ago, ECPL said:

What I don't understand is that it seems to state that a ball has TO MOVE.  It used to be the ball had to travel it's full circumference just like any free kick etc .  Does that mean now that it need only move an inch or so.    

Just like every other restart of play, for several years now, the ball is in play as soon as it is played and obviously moves.  The moves its circumference was removed years ago