Cornwall Football Forum

Referee Shortage Directive - I suggest all read

9 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I wouldn't say that's true. I certainly don't allow gobbing off amongst players in any matches that I officiate - that's a Respect thing. Many other referees I know will try and curb it.

One thing you can not reach someone is how to be respectful. They either are, or they are not. Sad but true 😕

Not the referees Dave, I meant the FA.

11 hours ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I wouldn't say that's true. I certainly don't allow gobbing off amongst players in any matches that I officiate - that's a Respect thing. Many other referees I know will try and curb it.

One thing you can not reach someone is how to be respectful. They either are, or they are not. Sad but true 😕

Would “gobbing off” count as foul and abusive language?

As I understand it, if it’s aimed at the officials it’s dissent with the sanction being the sin-bin, foul and abusive language, no matter to whom it is addressed (even if it’s the player themselves) is a red card, occasionally a bit harsh but rules is rules.

I may of course be wrong, but if so you can be sure that someone will point it out.

3 hours ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

As I understand it, if it’s aimed at the officials it’s dissent with the sanction being the sin-bin, foul and abusive language, no matter to whom it is addressed (even if it’s the player themselves) is a red card, occasionally a bit harsh but rules is rules.

I may of course be wrong, but if so you can be sure that someone will point it out.

Exactly. So if a ref is allowing some “gobbing off” and not booking the players, how can you have sympathy for them!

Its the referees who ref the game with common sense that get the least abuse and deal with it a different way