Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard pull out of Cornwall Cup game at Falmouth

42 minutes ago, footienut said:

What utter b@!%cks!! How can a player at that level not expect to travel across the county for an evening game. Stick to junior football. And I don't recall many supporters being paid £10 but I'm sure a few of those would have made the trip.

Guess it's way more comfortable for the likes of Bristol and Somerset leagues where they can just hop on the ring roads!

The £50 fine is cheaper than paying even £10 a player ( bare 11 = £110 ) to travel to Falmouth and lose a game that had no other penalties such as points deductions.
Maybe a larger financial fine would have got the game played, who knows, our guess is that Falmouth lost a lot more than £50 in lost revenue on the night as did the charity, so perhaps the fine should go in to the charity pot as there was no outlay for the C.C.F.A.        No prizes for guessing who will react to that idea! 🤔

Obviously the fine, £50 was it but I think Cornwall FA should probably ban any side that “can’t raise a team” from the competition for say 2 seasons? Definitely a season anyway. Liskeard who I personally like as a club have disrespected the competition in my view. The Charity Cup has a good history about it and was always worth winning back in my day. Bit of a kick in the teeth for Torpoint and Millbrook as well who weren’t invited. Bit of a poor show at this level of Cornish football.

42 minutes ago, We Two said:

The £50 fine is cheaper than paying even £10 a player ( bare 11 = £110 ) to travel to Falmouth and lose a game that had no other penalties such as points deductions.
Maybe a larger financial fine would have got the game played, who knows, our guess is that Falmouth lost a lot more than £50 in lost revenue on the night as did the charity, so perhaps the fine should go in to the charity pot as there was no outlay for the C.C.F.A.        No prizes for guessing who will react to that idea! 🤔

You can guarantee the CCfawill keep the fine, I would put money on that!😛

If Liskeard as suggested had 8 players on holiday, how come they only realised that they couldn't raise a team and would have to cancel on the match day !
Please explain your thinking Liskeard, we have always looked on your club as being a well run credit to the town you represent but this episode leaves us in some doubt as to whether that is the case.

8 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

You can guarantee the CCfawill keep the fine, I would put money on that!😛

,No prizes don't forget 👍

1 minute ago, We Two said:

If Liskeard as suggested had 8 players on holiday, how come they only realised that they couldn't raise a team and would have to cancel on the match day !
Please explain your thinking Liskeard, we have always looked on your club as being a well run credit to the town you represent but this episode leaves us in some doubt as to whether that is the case.

,No prizes don't forget 👍

Shame😒

1 hour ago, BIG AL said:

You may well be able to undertake expensive journeys for the sake of 90 minutes football but there are some of us who simply cannot.

They need to find a cheaper "hobby" then. As far as hobbies go a couple of gallons in fuel is quite cheap. How much fuel does it take for you to get to Falmouth? 

9 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Yeah ten quids worth of diesel/petrol from Liskeard to Falmouth between 4 of you as well if you like is extortionate!! Bet most of the players managed to spend £40 on the new FIFA 20 game out last week tho!?! 🤔

Must be an economical car !

19 hours ago, BIG AL said:

Perhaps they all paid hefty travelling expenses!

If we are getting a petty as claiming cost of travel from Liskeard to Falmouth is a potential reason for the game to be cancelled may i just say this...

Liskeard to Falmouth depending on route is 47 miles so 94 miles round trip.

According to the AA the average price of diesel in the UK at this time is £1.32 per litre.

4.5 litres in a gallon

Even if your car did 200 miles to the gallon (thankfully mine does 60 ish) this journey would cost less than £12

JW

54 minutes ago, Jeremy Wade said:

If we are getting a petty as claiming cost of travel from Liskeard to Falmouth is a potential reason for the game to be cancelled may i just say this...

Liskeard to Falmouth depending on route is 47 miles so 94 miles round trip.

According to the AA the average price of diesel in the UK at this time is £1.32 per litre.

4.5 litres in a gallon

Even if your car did 200 miles to the gallon (thankfully mine does 60 ish) this journey would cost less than £12

JW

What about time lost at, some of us do actually work?

7 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Understandably, after a comprehensive defeat At Bickland, Liskeard had no appetite to return to the arena within the space of 4 days.

Perhaps The CCFA and the clubs concerned could have deferred the fixture for say a week to refresh the tie for players.officials and supporters alike.

Also why has it to be an evening fixture and not Saturday?

The Cornwall charity Cup has always been a midweek cup, very similar to the Devon St Lukes Bowl.

Heard from a player in the Liskeard 2nd team that they were asked to help, very few did.  However, there was a squad of 13 available but the manager didn't want to travel with 13, he wanted 14 minimum. Poor show. 

Now it's starting to go down the pan at Liskeard I can see parking sniffing around Lorenz before long.

This really annoys me, if they didn’t want to be in the competition from the start they should of turned down the invitation from the CCFA in the first place.

Us and Millbrook didn’t even get an invite to be in the competition as we are in the SWPL Premier East Division. Hello!! we still play in Cornwall not across the Tamar in England!!!

16 minutes ago, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

This really annoys me, if they didn’t want to be in the competition from the start they should of turned down the invitation from the CCFA in the first place.

Us and Millbrook didn’t even get an invite to be in the competition as we are in the SWPL Premier East Division. Hello!! we still play in Cornwall not across the Tamar in England!!!

Seems like a silly and arbitrary decision on the face of it. 

I can't think of any other County Cup which bars teams from competing as they don't play in the same league as everyone else. I always thought this is what makes a cup competition special? 

From experience, I can say the Devon Bowl offers some unique and one-off opportunities for clubs to go up against higher level opposition, albeit a mixing of reserve and youth team players. Is there any reason Truro or a Truro XI don't enter/aren't invited into the competition?

Maybe there is a rational thought-out decision behind this, who knows?

29 minutes ago, The Windmill On The Shirt said:

I presume Torpoint and Millbrook are in the Senior Cup? 

The Charity Cup has been an "invitation only" competition for many years - limited to a maximum of 16 Clubs. In the last few years, they've needed to invite Clubs from East Cornwall and Combination Leagues to make up the numbers, as SWPL Premier Clubs were excluded. It seems it was a genuine over-sight to not consider Millbrook or Torpoint this season. Pretty sure it won't happen next year!

The decision to make it a midweek competition for Cornish Step 6 Clubs was to limit disruption to Saturday Leagues, as most have floodlights.

5 minutes ago, John Mead said:

The Charity Cup has been an "invitation only" competition for many years - limited to a maximum of 16 Clubs. In the last few years, they've needed to invite Clubs from East Cornwall and Combination Leagues to make up the numbers, as SWPL Premier Clubs were excluded. It seems it was a genuine over-sight to not consider Millbrook or Torpoint this season. Pretty sure it won't happen next year!

The decision to make it a midweek competition for Cornish Step 6 Clubs was to limit disruption to Saturday Leagues, as most have floodlights.

A mistake by cofactors.  -   Never!

43 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Thanks for clarifying 👍