Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Results

Guest ggr_garth

Guest ggr_garth

Premier Division

Newton Abbott Spurs 1 St Blazey 6

Division One West

St Austell 2 (Nick Bennett, Sam Waters) Callington 1

Goonhavern 1 Foxhole Stars 4 (Carl Rickard (2), Scott Hill, own goal)

Guest Black&White

Today;'s WMN ...

Callington Town will not be showing any mercy as they have the opportunity to open up a five point gap over their hosts and manager Micky Hunt is convinced his side will win.

"We shall have too much quality in our squad for them [st Austell] as I'm convinced we're in a false position in the League," stated a confident Hunt.

Oh dear!

SWPL Division One West

Hayle 1 Penzance 1

Honours were shared between these two Penwith rivals for the second time this season in an ill-tempered local derby at Trevassack Park.

Nick Pugliese gave the Magpies a half-time lead, which was cancelled out four minutes into the second half when the visitors gifted the home side an unneccessary corner, from which skipper Andy James bundled the ball home at the far post.

Both teams finished the game with 10 men, Penzance having Steve Hancock sent off in the first half and Hayle's Matt Shiels red-carded early in the second - both for retaliation.

Much will be made of the Plymouth-based referee's performance this afternoon. Let's just leave it at 'interesting'!

All the Div 1 West results

Dobwalls 5, Vospers 2

Goonhavern 1, Foxhole 4

Hayle 1, Penzance 1

Millbrook 1, Porthleven 4

Mousehole 0, Camelford 0

Newquay 3, Wendron 1

St Austell 2, Callington 1

Wadebridge 0, Penryn 0

Some of today's highlights :

Darren Gilbert involved in nearly everything in Bodmin's 5-0 win over Elburton Villa

Matt Drummond was class in the St Blazey 6-1 result against Newton Abbot Spurs

and Lee Beer ..... a 35-yarder goal for Falmouth in their 5-0 victory at Cullompton, and Steve Massey confirms that he is definitely keen on adding Adam Carter to his squad. He has also put in seven days for another player, midfielder from Clyst - Lloyd Gardener.

Guest crosser

and Lee Beer ..... a 35-yarder goal for Falmouth in their 5-0 victory at Cullompton, and Steve Massey confirms that he is definitely keen on adding Adam Carter to his squad. He has also put in seven days for another player, midfielder from Clyst

though carts had joined saltash??

Yes Carter has gone Saltash. Maybe he will do a U-Turn and come to Falmouth and pair up with Lee Langmead, Andy Bowker and Glen squires. not all on the pitch at the same time!

I think Falmouth are strong enough to go all the way this season as they are. but anything can happern. I am glad that they will not apply for promotion. This new league is turning in to a very good league to be in. Alot of the mid table teams are taking points off the top teams which has it good.

Im glad because i would like to follow town around the swpl circle for another season. In addition i think the club are making a sensible choice to hold back for a season. Gaining promotion will increase the overall running costs and the club want to make sure they can afford it. I think they have shown they have ambition with their plans to relocate! Everything what the club is doing is a positive move i feel.

I thought Falmouth as a club only have to find £250 a week to fund the 1st team and the rest is coming from a certain club official who has a bit of spare cash to splash out.

So if they go up they won't have to find much more as this person will pay out won't He?

No names mentioned but most of you can guess who.

Lots of loose tongues around the club if you ask you get told.

Your right Dave, Matt Drummond was pure class today but the whole squad from 1-15 were superb and deserve full credit. They have become a unit over the last 6 weeks and are continuing to go from strength to strength with each game by working extremely hard on and off the pitch together.

I think the Falmouth Packet said it all.

I don't agree with league winners not taking promotion but then you have to look at it from the clubs point of view. If Falmouth need to get their finances straight on and off the field first then so be it. Any club that enters the Western League Premier Division must really be looking beyond that to the league above.

Falmouth are considering selling up Bickland Park, again I don't agree with the decision, but if it is good enough for Falmouth to consider changing then it is they who hold the purse strings and it is their future they are loking at.

It is also about relationships. I popped into Saltash v Buckland yesterday and there seemed hardly anyone there. Why? because they were playing who!!!!!!!! Buckland Atheltic - never heard of them, but Saltash could only draw so they know about them now.

This league has to settle down first. It is a strong league and clubs may feel that they have to look at the overall picture not just this season, but beyond.

You could have the situation that not a single club will take promotion this season. Would that be a bad thing. I repeat it is the first season of the new league and finances has to be the major criteria. What clubs will have to take into consideration is that their players will want more money but they would be joining a league where players receive on avaerage an awful lot less than them. I here so many times from Western League Premier Division sides who say 'we cannot compete with the SWPL players money' when these clubs come in for one of their players.

Sorry for going off the starting topic. but you have to put the club first. there aint no point going broke. i hear porthleven will not take promotion this year as they cannot afford to go up. so it bit like falmouth you have to get your finances straight first. im sure falmouth are trying to get sponsors on a 3 or 4 year contract to set them up for this move. but this is hard in cornwall. but it dont hurt to be safe.

id rather hold off , than have to pull out the following season because of finances. its basic business sense.

Up the Town!

I think you will find that Town already have a seperate treatment room in the stand adjoining the home dressing room which can be accessed from outside.

Another example of why Bickland Park is still the best "Ground" in Cornwall. (Not Truro with their ridiculously large and sparsely populated aluminium stand and dodgy pitch)

(I wouldn't mind their team though.......)

P.S. I hope the pitch sale comes through as the whole town is pathetically short of sports facilities. As I understand it the worst in the country per head of population!!!

Falmouth residents really know how to pour limitless amounts of cold water on anything which remotely resembles change. The latest victim being the towns rugby ground relocation. All the high profile protesters against this appear to have gone strangely quiet over their big plans, if they had any, for the Recreation Ground now it is staying put. Stopping change for changes sake and offering no well thought-out or plausible alternatives. The easiest form of protest in the world.

I feel better after that.

UP THE TOWN!!!!!

Guest Sport Lover

So at what stage does the league 'force' teams to take promotion?

Do they have to win the league 3, 4 or 5 times?

I dont think there has been one mention of how other clubs in that league feel about a team winning every year and refusing promotion. What would there be to play for?

Guest Postie Pidge

It's not a case of Falmouth refusing promotion (should they be in the right position at the end of the season) but just putting if off for a season maybe two.

Likewise what would be the point of Falmouth going up, lasting a season and having to come back down again because of costs. Travelling up to Wiltshire is a fair trek. When the time is right, the ball will roll.

Guest Postie Pidge

I would love to see Falmouth playing at a higher level and Falmouth wouldn't do a St Blazey and win the league five years in a row and stay put. Maybe next season the time will be right to take the option. It's all timing.

I too, would love to see Falmouth gain promotion to a higher level. However, I have seen them get there before (Western League Premier) and money was also an issue then and hence their return to the SWL.

I would also be sad to see the end of Bickland Park after watching Town there for the past 40 years or so.

The SWPL will be probably that bit stronger next season and who's to say that Falmouth will win the league and go for promotion.

It would appear once again that money (or perhaps the lack of a lot of it) is the issue. As POSTIE PIDGE said, travelling up to Wiltshire is certainly costly.

With home gates not much better than 70-100, town won't generate enough income to sustain them at the higher level, unless more people come and watch the higher grade football.

The Town used to be very much better supported when I remember back into the 60's, 70's and even the 80's, and the same can be said probably of many other clubs in Cornwall.

I just hope that the people will come to support the town and appreciate the quality of the football once again. :c:

would love to see Falmouth playing at a higher level and Falmouth wouldn't do a St Blazey and win the league five years in a row and stay put. Maybe next season the time will be right to take the option. It's all timing.

Regretfully the average attendance in the next step up is only 107, so those figures would not sustain any extra costs.

It is already apparent that the Devon contingent inspires no extra supporter interest,so daresay the same would apply with the others.

Can anyone see any Cornish Team emulate the Truro ride?

Good to see a crowd of 66 for the Hayle v Penzance match. 50% more than Hayle's previous highest attendance.

This is what Cornwall needs more local derbies played between local teams at senior level. This is where SWPL Premier teams lose out a bit. I wonder what that Hayle v Pz attendence would have been if it could have been played on a Friday night but unfortunately Haye do not have floodlights yet.

I personally think no Cornish club will attain Western League Premier unless they have either good gates, a sugar daddy or a brilliant commercial manager. To play away is a day gone plus what state will the players be in after a minibus or coach journey to the other side of Bristol. At present some lads work Saturday mornings and play footy in the afternoons. It thet go Western League can they addord to lose pay and take time off work and thenthe club make up the difference.

No, the SWPL will get stronger but the teams in it, who could probably walk the Western League if up in it, can't afford the jump.

Regretfully the average attendance in the next step up is only 107, so those figures would not sustain any extra costs.

It is already apparent that the Devon contingent inspires no extra supporter interest,so daresay the same would apply with the others.

Can anyone see any Cornish Team emulate the Truro ride?

As the Chairman says, average attendance is 107, which will not generate the sort of money that will pay for travel and playing costs.

We will probably have to come to terms with the fact that we are Geographically challenged, and with no disrespect to Truro FC, If their benefactor ever moves on or gets boring with it all, Truro will come back down to earth with a big bump.

I would like to think I'm wrong but Money will be the overriding factor at the end of it. :o