Cornwall Football Forum

Well, now.

The police arrived as I was leaving. No doubt the robbery at Kernick Road had been reported!

Decent enough first half, 1st playing 4th, you might have expected it. A cunning FK in the 5th minute by Tom Annear gave Penryn the lead and it looked fair enough as the first half went on. Chances went begging at both ends but on balance Penryn were worth the narrow lead at half time. 5 minutes into the 2nd half, though, and a great cross-shot by Ross Duncan was too fierce for the Penryn 'keeper who parried it but couldn't prevent the goal. This had followed a blistering start to the half by St Ives who had obviously done some serious talking in the break. They pressed and pressed and kept hurrying the Penryn  backs into making hurried clearances or getting caught in possession. St Ives have certainly got the hang of how to deal with the current "building from the back" disease. On the hour I wrote in my notes "only one winner - St Ives" and thought if Penryn could hold out for the draw they'd be lucky but it wouldn't be a bad result. Especially as Rappo had his 77th minute penalty saved which was just as well as St Ives were playing Penryn off the park. The Penryn 5 was booked on the say-so of the home linesman - all credit to him but I don't expect anyone bought him a drink afterwards! With 5 minutes to go the game still hung in the balance, until....

Until the visiting No 14 made a late tackle on a Penryn lad 5 yards in from the touchline in front of me. Cue Harry Pope who leapt onto the pitch and - well, let's just say he earned himself a red card. However, the ref was only able to award it after about 5 minutes of about 14-a-side handbags as all players (not sure if the St Ives 'keeper was there, but Penryn's was!) and both benches got involved. Quite honestly, the ref would have been justified in abandoning the game, but to his credit he handled the situation well. He sent off the St Ives 14 and one of the Penryn boys, and sin-binned the Penryn 'keeper ( no time left for him to sit it out and come back on).

Then (and this is why we love the game) with 8 minutes of overtime played ST IVES got caught out with a misunderstanding between their 'keeper and a defender and the latter found what had presumably been meant as a back-pass rolling with tantalizing slowness into his net to make it 2 - 1 completely against the run of 2nd half play. No wonder the home bench went wild! There was barely time to restart before the ref blew for time.

So: got my money's worth! £2 for old codgers, mind (though I hear that at Some Grounds old farts like me have to pay the full whack. Now, what's the point in growing old if some clubs don't give concessions to the elderly?), but only 70p for tea. Must be the cheapest in the league.

Ground looks good. Must be 10 years since my last visit. Cute little stand with 2 or 3 broken seats, but when I was told they'd got the seats from Arsenal, well, lucky it is only 2 or 3! Seriously, I know from my time at Truro how difficult it is to fix plastic seats. Old-fashioned wooden ones were much easier to repair. Nice-looking lights, great covered area at the clubhouse end; and of course that perfect playing surface. I'll be back!

Nice to have encountered some of the Penryn Ladies team there - good luck to them v Charlestown tomorrow 2pm? And by the way, they are currently without a manager. So come on, someone. I can assure you from experience that coaching a women's team is very rewarding.

Edited by Tom Trust
Terrible ****-up by me in account of winning goal!

Sounds like I missed a cracking game Tom!! Kernick a lovely place to play your football, lucky lads 👍 Think Harry’s passion is one of the reasons his lads are top of the league mate so wouldn’t want to take that away from him. To not play as well as usual and win in the last minute with 9 men says a lot about the boys character I think. As you say St.Ives are a good side as well who will be challenging no doubt! Hope I didn’t jinx Jack! Said to him last week when he scored his penalty at Perranwell that he’s only had one saved out of about the 40 he’s took since he was about 9 years old! Two now! Great 3 pts by the sounds of it to me! Did see a few goals though, caught the 2nd half of St.Dennis 2-13 Polperro!!!! Plenty of goals in St.Piran league East!!! 👍😀

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

Well, now.

The police arrived as I was leaving. No doubt the robbery at Kernick Road had been reported!

Decent enough first half, 1st playing 4th, you might have expected it. A cunning FK in the 5th minute by Tom Annear gave Penryn the lead and it looked fair enough as the first half went on. Chances went begging at both ends but on balance Penryn were worth the narrow lead at half time. 5 minutes into the 2nd half, though, and a great cross-shot by Ross Duncan was too fierce for the Penryn 'keeper who parried it but couldn't prevent the goal. This had followed a blistering start to the half by St Ives who had obviously done some serious talking in the break. They pressed and pressed and kept hurrying the Penryn  backs into making hurried clearances or getting caught in possession. St Ives have certainly got the hang of how to deal with the current "building from the back" disease. On the hour I wrote in my notes "only one winner - St Ives" and thought if Penryn could hold out for the draw they'd be lucky but it wouldn't be a bad result. Especially as Rappo had his 77th minute penalty saved which was just as well as St Ives were playing Penryn off the park. The Penryn 5 was booked on the say-so of the home linesman - all credit to him but I don't expect anyone bought him a drink afterwards! With 5 minutes to go the game still hung in the balance, until....

Until the visiting No 14 made a late tackle on a Penryn lad 5 yards in from the touchline in front of me. Cue Harry Pope who leapt onto the pitch and - well, let's just say he earned himself a red card. However, the ref was only able to award it after about 5 minutes of about 14-a-side handbags as all players (not sure if the St Ives 'keeper was there, but Penryn's was!) and both benches got involved. Quite honestly, the ref would have been justified in abandoning the game, but to his credit he handled the situation well. He sent off the St Ives 14 and one of the Penryn boys, and sin-binned the Penryn 'keeper ( no time left for him to sit it out and come back on).

Then (and this is why we love the game) with 8 minutes of overtime played Penryn got caught out with a misunderstanding between their 'keeper and a defender and the latter found what had presumably been meant as a back-pass rolling with tantalizing slowness into his net to make it 2 - 1 completely against the run of 2nd half play. No wonder the home bench went wild! There was barely time to restart before the ref blew for time.

So: got my money's worth! £2 for old codgers, mind (though I hear that at Some Grounds old farts like me have to pay the full whack. Now, what's the point in growing old if some clubs don't give concessions to the elderly?), but only 70p for tea. Must be the cheapest in the league.

Ground looks good. Must be 10 years since my last visit. Cute little stand with 2 or 3 broken seats, but when I was told they'd got the seats from Arsenal, well, lucky it is only 2 or 3! Seriously, I know from my time at Truro how difficult it is to fix plastic seats. Old-fashioned wooden ones were much easier to repair. Nice-looking lights, great covered area at the clubhouse end; and of course that perfect playing surface. I'll be back!

Nice to have encountered some of the Penryn Ladies team there - good luck to them v Charlestown tomorrow 2pm? And by the way, they are currently without a manager. So come on, someone. I can assure you from experience that coaching a women's team is very rewarding.

So according to your report Tom, Penryn LOST 2-1, not won 2-1 🤔

Quite possibly the strangest game I have ever encountered. Credit to Harry Pope for his passion for the team and good on them for having a good start to the season but my god his performance was embarrassing. Not really what you want to see from a manger but there we go. Good luck to Penryn for the rest of the season, think they’ll go far. 

55 minutes ago, CornishFan95 said:

Quite possibly the strangest game I have ever encountered. Credit to Harry Pope for his passion for the team and good on them for having a good start to the season but my god his performance was embarrassing. Not really what you want to see from a manger but there we go. Good luck to Penryn for the rest of the season, think they’ll go far. 

Bad, bad tackle three feet from the Penryn bench got a response, anywhere else and probably nothing would have happened. 

But, as Tom said...that was robbery, but, we'll take it :ph34r:

On the March with Arry's army .

10 hours ago, Themanhimself said:

Also Tom only manager got sent for penryn no other player. 9 out of 9 arrys army 

Why did the Penryn 'keeper come off, then? A chap next to me who was doing some kind of assessment said he had been sin-binned and surely a red was shown to one of Penryn's players, wasn't it? Of course, I could be wrong: it was a rather action-packed five minutes!

2 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Why did the Penryn 'keeper come off, then? A chap next to me who was doing some kind of assessment said he had been sin-binned and surely a red was shown to one of Penryn's players, wasn't it? Of course, I could be wrong: it was a rather action-packed five minutes!

No mate the keeper got sin binned and Harry got the red. 

22 hours ago, CornishFan95 said:

What was your view of it Cornishfan?

2 hours ago, skinner said:

I  HAVE BEEN TOLD THE POLICE WAS CALLED BEFORE THE GAME TO SHOW TOM THE WAY TO PENRYNS PITCH🙄

Almost true. It must be around 10 years since I was last there, which would have been for Radio Cornwall. I remembered "roughly" where it was and turned into St Gluvias' CC car park where fortunately a gentleman who recognised me was able to tell me I should have taken the next turning!  It was nice to have been made to feel welcome when I eventually got there. I was even told I could have had a complimentary cuppa and scone at half time, but I'm not sure why. That was a very welcoming gesture so, as I wrote earlier, I'll be back!

Yes, I'm very much aware that there are faces there that have been part of the club's scene for something like 40 years - real club men in the Billy Chown mould, you know what I mean. I hope there are some younger stalwarts to keep all the good work going. It certainly looks a good set-up. And, of course, that playing surface....

1 hour ago, Tom Trust said:

Yes, I'm very much aware that there are faces there that have been part of the club's scene for something like 40 years - real club men in the Billy Chown mould, you know what I mean. I hope there are some younger stalwarts to keep all the good work going. It certainly looks a good set-up. And, of course, that playing surface....

I can see young Tom Blewitt (I think that’s the surname) sticking around at Kernick for decades. From what ive heard he does a huge amount of work behind the scenes and rightly won clubman of the year last season, and not the first/last time I’m sure!

2 hours ago, InBrendanWeTrust said:

I can see young Tom Blewitt (I think that’s the surname) sticking around at Kernick for decades. From what ive heard he does a huge amount of work behind the scenes and rightly won clubman of the year last season, and not the first/last time I’m sure!

He's a good boy, just need another 5 or so... so we can all retire to the bar🍺

Tom is a great guy & he works tirelessly behind the scenes at Penryn 👏

We could all do with a few more like Tom involved with our clubs. 

We're lucky to have such a wonderful band of volunteers & committee members at St Day, especially the younger generation like Mark Leah 👏