Cornwall Football Forum

Redruth United 0 Perranporth 4

First have we made 3 mistakes and perranporth scored each time.o be fair the first one was a good curled shot. Second half we held out until 2 minutes from time until they scored their fourth. Second half we were in the game and had 3 good chances and that was the difference between the two teams they were far more clinical. Good luck In the rest of the cup.

Saturday 14th September 2019    Senior Cup

St Day 5 (Willis 4, Richards 45, 85, Williams 48, 86) Foxhole 2 (Coates 12, Cheshire 18)

Foxhole (4-3-3): Ben Hurst; Ryan Wilkins, Josh Andrews, Angel Coates, Lee Whetter; Rory Barnicle, Levi Kerrigan, Frank McAvoy; Benno Bould, Tyler Cheshire, Nathan Papaioannou.

Sub: Jay Manning.

St Day (4-4-2): Ben Whiting; Sam Kevern, Matt Witts, Luke Hart, Tom Hogarth; Jacob Williams, Adam Stephens, Nathan Taylor, Joe Crossman; Jack Willis, Dan Richards.

Subs: Louis Hall, Chris Dobson, Rob Hoskings, James Daniel, Joff Mallaber.

In their first visit to the People's Republic in living memory, Foxhole's hopes of a day out on Easter Monday foundered at the first hurdle but they can count themselves desperately unlucky not to have at least forced extra time after a brave display. Twice striking the bar, and on the receiving end of perhaps the most incredible goal-line clearance ever, they unfortunately were also left to rue some unfortunate defensive mishaps and confusion as to whether the FA's rolling sub rule applied to one of their own competitions.

Having already somehow fired wide after rounding the keeper, Willis put St Day ahead inside five minutes when Hurst allowed the lively striker's effort to squirm between his legs. However the super Foxes hit back with a fantastic volley from Coates before Cheshire turned Kevern and hit a peach into the far corner. Foxhole were to enjoy a decent spell of pressure and ought to have extended their advantage, with new signing McAvoy prominent. Their profligacy was punished seconds before the break when, out of nothing, Richards' drive again caught out Hurst, who, to be fair, had earlier performed miracles to deny Crossman in a rare home sortie.

St Day again began the second half in blistering style, a hobbling Andrews unable to prevent Richards' cut-back for Williams to make it 3-2. Foxhole were to spend the next half hour camped in their opponents' final third, but the ball resolutely refused to find the net, largely due to determined defending from twin centre-halves Hogarth and Hart, and calm keeping from Whiting. Fortune was not on our side, though, as both McAvoy and Cheshire struck free-kicks against the bar, while Kevern amazingly blocked Bould's pile-driver from point-blank range after Whiting had smothered Manning's initial shot. Andrews was clearly in no fit state to continue but, with the already withdrawn Wilkins waiting to return to the fray, the referee vetoed his re-entry. St Day gleefully capitalised on now only having to face ten men to settle the match late on through Richards and Williams.

Well played the desperately unlucky super Foxes for a great effort. Good luck to St Day. Many thanks to George Pattison, Ian Osborne and the home lino. 

12 minutes ago, Darin Morse said:

Saturday 14th September 2019    Senior Cup

St Day 5 (Willis 4, Richards 45, 85, Williams 48, 86) Foxhole 2 (Coates 12, Cheshire 18)

Foxhole (4-3-3): Ben Hurst; Ryan Wilkins, Josh Andrews, Angel Coates, Lee Whetter; Rory Barnicle, Levi Kerrigan, Frank McAvoy; Benno Bould, Tyler Cheshire, Nathan Papaioannou.

Sub: Jay Manning.

St Day (4-4-2): Ben Whiting; Sam Kevern, Matt Witts, Luke Hart, Tom Hogarth; Jacob Williams, Adam Stephens, Nathan Taylor, Joe Crossman; Jack Willis, Dan Richards.

Subs (all 5 used): Louis Hall, Chris Dobson, Rob Hoskings, James Daniel, Joff Mallaber.

In their first visit to the People's Republic in living memory, Foxhole's hopes of a day out on Easter Monday foundered at the first hurdle but they can count themselves desperately unlucky not to have at least forced extra time after a brave display. Twice striking the bar, and on the receiving end of perhaps the most incredible goal-line clearance ever, they unfortunately were also left to rue some unfortunate defensive mishaps and confusion as to whether the FA's rolling sub rule applied to one of their own competitions.

Having already somehow fired wide after rounding the keeper, Willis put St Day ahead inside five minutes when Hurst allowed the lively striker's effort to squirm between his legs. However the super Foxes hit back with a fantastic volley from Coates before Cheshire turned Kevern and hit a peach into the far corner. Foxhole were to enjoy a decent spell of pressure and ought to have extended their advantage, with new signing McAvoy prominent. Their profligacy was punished seconds before the break when, out of nothing, Richards' drive again caught out Hurst, who, to be fair, had earlier performed miracles to deny Crossman in a rare home sortie.

St Day again began the second half in blistering style, a hobbling Andrews unable to prevent Richards' cut-back for Williams to make it 3-2. Foxhole were to spend the next half hour camped in their opponents' final third, but the ball resolutely refused to find the net, largely due to determined defending from twin centre-halves Hogarth and Hart, and calm keeping from Whiting. Fortune was not on our side, though, as both McAvoy and Cheshire struck free-kicks against the bar, while Kevern amazingly blocked Bould's pile-driver from point-blank range after Whiting had smothered Manning's initial shot. Andrews was clearly in no fit state to continue but, with the already withdrawn Wilkins waiting to return to the fray, the referee vetoed his re-entry. St Day gleefully capitalised on now only having to face ten men to settle the match late on through Richards and Williams.

Well played the desperately unlucky super Foxes for a great effort. Good luck to St Day. Many thanks to George Pattison, Ian Osborne and the home lino. 

Because the Senior Cup includes Step 6 sides there are no repeat subs, only 3 from 5 as per Rule 8d of the Senior Cup rules.

rules-of-the-senior-cup-2019-20.ashx

In fairness, in the excitement of such a thrilling match, it was hard to keep track of everything going on so I can't be sure which St Day subs took to the field. Apologies if the error is mine. Best of luck to a fine St Day team in the next round.

I still don't understand why rolling subs aren't standard in every competition. 

Is there a list of all the 1st round Senior Cup results anywhere please? I got a Sunday Independent this morning but their coverage of it was almost laughable and not much help, never again.   Thanks to the chaps who do put reports on here but is there a full list of results anywhere? Even the Cornwall FA site only got about half the scores on there as well

4 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Is there a list of all the 1st round Senior Cup results anywhere please? I got a Sunday Independent this morning but their coverage of it was almost laughable and not much help, never again.   Thanks to the chaps who do put reports on here but is there a full list of results anywhere? Even the Cornwall FA site only got about half the scores on there as well

Try looking in the RESULTS forum!

sometimes DD, I wonder why you bother.

The 20 SWPL West teams plus Torpoint and Millbrook from the East division making 22 will come in at the 3rd Round as Deacs said and 20 teams gone through from Round 1 making 10 2nd Round ties to decide who will make up the last 32. Correct me if I’m wrong though!? Out of interest there are 8 St.Piran West teams through to Round 2, Penryn, Perranporth, St.Day, Illogan, Hayle, St.lves, Mullion and Ludgvan. 4 from the east division Bude, Polperro, Morwenstow and St.Mawgan, 3 from the combination league, Marazion, Culdrose, and Rosudgeon, 4 from the East Cornwall league, St.Minver, St.Cleer, St.Dominick and North Petherwin and of course the winners of this week’s missing fixture Pendeen v St.Stephen. Look forward to the draw, will have a different look about it this season with a few new teams involved 👍🏆

On 14/09/2019 at 22:37, Darin Morse said:

In fairness, in the excitement of such a thrilling match, it was hard to keep track of everything going on so I can't be sure which St Day subs took to the field. Apologies if the error is mine. Best of luck to a fine St Day team in the next round.

I still don't understand why rolling subs aren't standard in every competition. 

I agree why not at every level of football have rolling subs in all Cornish leagues and why are cup matches in September 2 pm kick off as it doesn’t get dark until 7.45 ish 🤔 If it went to extra time and penalties it would be done by 6 pm at the latest as if there are any local newspapers interested in Cornish soccer anymore so no deadlines are an argument.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I agree why not at every level of football have rolling subs in all Cornish leagues and why are cup matches in September 2 pm kick off as it doesn’t get dark until 7.45 ish 🤔 If it went to extra time and penalties it would be done by 6 pm at the latest as if there are any local newspapers interested in Cornish soccer anymore so no deadlines are an argument.

I have been asking the same question for years. The Cornwall fa are to blame, they have not yet notice that clubs have floodlights and finishing later would be past their bedtimes!

6 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

I have been asking the same question for years. The Cornwall fa are to blame, they have not yet notice that clubs have floodlights and finishing later would be past their bedtimes!

If the clubs are that concerned, I’m assuming they can put in to the County FA for a rule change at next years AGM?

In reply to Sticker Forever.  It seems the Indy are just saving money by not covering the Senior Cup.  The little coverage along with the poor coverage of the St Piran League and ECPL (One match and they couldn't even print the scorers), add to that the woeful omitting of county football in the women's game means the paper is no longer the paper it used to be by reducing local football to parks coverage.  It is all about reading story after story which you lose track of after a couple of paragraphs.  Even in the round ups they cant even use bullet marks as one report drifts straight into another. Its called sloppy journalism.