Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League Results September 14th

Many thanks to Mike Newcombe for all the results and report

Premier Division 

AFC Bodmin         4-1         Stoke Climsland

Altarnon 8-2         Holywell/Cubert Ath.

Gunnislake          3-1         Lostwithiel

St Breward           2-1         Saltash United 3rds

Tintagel 0-8         St Newlyn East

Tregrehan Mills   3-0         St Merryn

Division One       

Gorran   1-1         Foxhole Reserves

Mevagissey          1-1         Dobwalls Reserves

FC Tavyside          1-4         Polperro Reserves

Division Two       

Boscastle Reserves            1-3         Bude Town Reserves

Lostwithiel Reserves          1-7         Nanpean Rovers

North Hill             2-19       Lifton Reserves

St Eval Spitfires    2-3         Southgate Seniors

Week St Mary      3-2         St Stephen Reserves

Division Three    

Bude Town Thirds              5-0         St Anns Chapel

Delabole United  0-10       St Columb Major

North Petherwin Reserves 2-1         Grampound

Queens Rangers  5-2         Roche Reserves

St Mawgan Reserves          0-6         St Dominick Reserves

CORNWALL AIRPORT NEWQUAY DUCHY LEAGUE

At the top of the Premier Division the two early leaders met at Gunnislake with the hosts beating Lostwithiel after a tight game full of good football. Carlton Farnham, Jan Humphrey and Lian Bryant scored for Boscastle with Lostwithiel’s goal coming from a John Harris penalty.

George Ellis hit a hat trick as AFC Bodmin secured their first ever victory in the topflight. They beat Stoke Climsland 4-1 with Matt Hooper getting their other goal. Stoke only travelled with a bare eleven and replied with a Kieran Hurrell goal.

Tregrehan Mills beat St Merryn 3-0. The first half was poor quality with Lee Budge opening the scoring in the 40th minute with a turn and finish from two yards following a corner. The match warmed up after the break. Miles Gardner strode through the St Merryn defence to score a 48th minute second and as the visitors faded a good run and cross from Dean Dingle was turned in by Glyn James in the 78th minute.

Altarnon were too strong for Holywell/Cubert Athletic easing to an 8-2 win. Toby Knights hit a hat trick with Sam Smith adding a brace. Brandon Ambrose, Jowan Knights and Josh Smith completed the home tally with Sam Wade with an own goal and Dan Parsonage replying for Holywell.

A depleted Tintagel team suffered a heavy eight goal home defeat to St Newlyn East. Martyn Probert and Ross London scored a brace apiece with Jack Thompson, Brodie Mitchell, Ross Emery and Matt Toms completing the rout.

St Breward retained their 100 per cent league record with a 2-1 win over Saltash United Thirds. Martin Jago and a Scott Burke penalty for St Breward with Jordan Taylor replying for Saltash.

In Division One the match between Mevagissey and Dobwalls reserves ended one apiece. Sam Hummagain gave the visitors a 20th minute lead. Mevagissey were level ten minutes later when Brandon Chapman converted a penalty. The hosts were reduced to ten men ten minutes into the second half when Charlie Prynn was sent off. Dobwalls failed to take advantage of their extra player and it was Mevagissey that came closest to a winner when a shot hit the crossbar.

Polperro reserves bounced back after pulling out of a game last Saturday to play impressive and at times brilliant football in a 4-1 win at FC Tavyside. Anthony Harman scored a brace with Louie Webb and Ethan Powell completing the visitors scoring. Tavyside replied with a Sam Hicks penalty.

Gorran and Foxhole reserves fought out a one all draw. Tom Guest was the home marksman.

Bude Town reserves won a third straight game in Division Two coming out 3-1 winners at Boscastle reserves. Dave Hales scored a brace with Scott Percy getting the other Bude goal with Sam Haddy getting the home reply.

Aled Thomas scored a brace as Week St Mary beat St Stephen reserves 3-2. Paul Banks scored the other home goal with St Stephen replying through Callum Oldham and Matt Hammer.

The match referee failed to arrive for the North Hill versus Lifton reserves match. After much discussion a Lifton official agreed to take the whistle and how the hosts must regret going ahead with the game as Lifton won 19 (nineteen) to two with the result no reflection on the official’s impartiality. North Hill are struggling to attract players and just scratched together a side. Their lone reward was goals for Dan Otter and Chris Terry. Lifton’s goals came from Lian Rich with seven, Josh Mayne with four and a brace apiece from Jake Harris and Ryan Hancock. Their other goals were scored by Dan Hancock, Chris Prettyjohn Jared Burns and Alex Sandercock.

Lostwithiel reserves were heavily beaten at home by Nanpean Rovers with Jordi Willmott again unstoppable with five goals. Nanpean came flying out of the blocks playing some nice football from the back with Willmott scoring a hat trick before half time. Ryan Best scored after the restart with Willmott getting two more. The moment of the game came when Luke Truscott skipped past three players and crossed to pick out Sam Truscott who headed the ball goal bound with it bouncing slowly past the hypnotised goalkeeper for their seventh goal.

St Eval Spitfires threw away a two-goal lead at half time as they fell to a 3-2 home defeat to Southgate Seniors. Jon Summerfield and Sam Wade had the hosts in control going into the break. The hosts rallied after the restart and Spitfires stalled as a brace from Liam Cairns and an Adam Scott goal gave Southgate the points.

The Queens Rangers versus Roche was a clash in Division Three between two young teams, which was played in a good spirit. Sam Rowse gave Rangers a 15th minute lead with the home side then taking control. Roche did force an equaliser from a breakaway, but Rangers bounced back with Rowse scoring three more times before the break. Roche put the hosts under pressure in the second half without creating any great chances. Neil Mitchell scored the hosts fifth goal, but they faded in the last quarter of an hour with Roche getting a second as Queens won 5-2. Jacob Inch and Nathan Fosten scored the visitors goals.

St Columb Major romped to a ten-goal win at Delabole United. Marco Ciarleglio hit a hat trick with John Middleditch, Darren Roose, Adam Williams, Nathan Chapman, Conor Doocey, Scott Taylor and Oscar Bilkey adding a goal apiece. St Columb outplayed Delabole for long periods on a hot afternoon at St George’s Playing Field.  The game wasn’t entirely one-way traffic but constant pressure in both halves punctuated with clinical finishing from across the team was more than enough for St Columb to beat a Delabole team in their first game of the season. Already 4-0 up at half time St Columb turned the screw to score 6 more in the second half to complete a resounding victory.  Goals were shared evenly around the St Columb team but a notable hat trick Ciarleglio stood out as the goals reined in.  Despite the score the game was played in a good spirit and Delabole were denied a consolation goal to lift their spirits by an offside flag.  

St Dominick reserves will be pleased with a 6-0 win after their long journey to St Mawgan reserves. Kieran Jasper scored a brace with their other goals shared between Tarren Walsh, Ryan Brown, Charlie Hickman and Spencer Barrett.

North Petherwin reserves beat Grampound 2-1. Mada Lin Boss and Will Green scored for Petherwin with Dylan Fox replying for Grampound.

Bude Town Thirds beat St Anns Chapel 5-0.

Gunny 3 Losty 1

An entertaining game on my first ever visit to Butts Meadow. A game full of interest and controversy and closer than the scoreline suggests. Gunny went 1 up early on when referee Martin Bristow ignored our lino from the half way line and awarded a goal without even consulting said lino. Mr Bristow then awarded us a rather soft (making amends type) penalty 1-1. Before half time Gunny went 2-1 up when Mr Martin Bristow chose to ignore our lino again and award another goal from a long way away. Martin Bristow is not the fittest ref around and certainly struggles to keep up with play but steadfastly seemed to think he was better placed and or qualified to judge offside decisions. Gunny scored the only goal of an end to end second half and most of the spectators seemed to enjoy the game and speaking to my old mate Ian Southcott he thought it was a great advert for Duchy Football. I have some questions for any league officials or any ref's that may read my report. 1. Is Martin Bristow a qualified referee? 2. Where does Martin Bristow Live? 3. Are there any other ref's who would award a goal when an assistant is flagging for offside when the assistant is obviously better placed without speaking a single word to the assistant. Thank you and good night.

8 hours ago, Billy Davies said:

Gunny 3 Losty 1

An entertaining game on my first ever visit to Butts Meadow. A game full of interest and controversy and closer than the scoreline suggests. Gunny went 1 up early on when referee Martin Bristow ignored our lino from the half way line and awarded a goal without even consulting said lino. Mr Bristow then awarded us a rather soft (making amends type) penalty 1-1. Before half time Gunny went 2-1 up when Mr Martin Bristow chose to ignore our lino again and award another goal from a long way away. Martin Bristow is not the fittest ref around and certainly struggles to keep up with play but steadfastly seemed to think he was better placed and or qualified to judge offside decisions. Gunny scored the only goal of an end to end second half and most of the spectators seemed to enjoy the game and speaking to my old mate Ian Southcott he thought it was a great advert for Duchy Football. I have some questions for any league officials or any ref's that may read my report. 1. Is Martin Bristow a qualified referee? 2. Where does Martin Bristow Live? 3. Are there any other ref's who would award a goal when an assistant is flagging for offside when the assistant is obviously better placed without speaking a single word to the assistant. Thank you and good night.

Appears he was a local referee according to appointments.

I don't really have any answers for you Billy.

I've personally never been comfortable with the principle of officials being arranged by one of the clubs but the option is continual postponements - no easy answers.

Its not really an issue of bias or cheating, the very same decisions may have been made by an officially appointed referee of course , there is just an unsatisfactory feel to it always.

Presumably as a 'local appointment' your club secretary agreed to this.

I'm certainly pleased there are people willing to help out, i just wish it wasn't necessary.

Paul I shook Tony's hand at the end of the game and said Thank you for giving us the opportunity to play but he could not look me in the eye and said that he would not do it again. I also spoke with a couple of the Gunnislake lads and they said after today there is no way we will play away if there is not a proper ref. It just leaves a bitter taste because it was a good game between two good sides and we felt cheated. I hope we don't agree to play in these circumstances again I would rather watch than play another game like yesterday's. Hope you are well Paul and see you soon, somewhere. Cheers Bill.

4 minutes ago, Billy Davies said:

Paul I shook Tony's hand at the end of the game and said Thank you for giving us the opportunity to play but he could not look me in the eye and said that he would not do it again. I also spoke with a couple of the Gunnislake lads and they said after today there is no way we will play away if there is not a proper ref. It just leaves a bitter taste because it was a good game between two good sides and we felt cheated. I hope we don't agree to play in these circumstances again I would rather watch than play another game like yesterday's. Hope you are well Paul and see you soon, somewhere. Cheers Bill.

I can’t comment on the specifics and sounds unfortunate. St Newlyn East last year played away at North Petherwin. When we arrived the appointed Ref had decided to retire! One of their ex players agreed to ref the game and he was awesome. Did it professionally and impartially despite his obvious connection to the club. 

Personally I’d prefer to play if there is a qualified ref available. 

6 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Appears he was a local referee according to appointments.

15 hours ago, Billy Davies said:

Gunny 3 Losty 1

Billy I think you really need to stop with all the anger towards the Referee. You were beaten by a better side. Your linesman was stood on the half way line the whole game and would then flag after the goal had been awarded. Blatant cheating. The Ref had a consistent and fair game. I think you need to look at the goalkeeper to blame rather than the Ref, he was very poor. 

17 hours ago, Billy Davies said:

Gunny 3 Losty 1

I think you might find that the referee ignored the linesman for the first goal because the gunni attacker ran past 3 of the losty defenders from a onside position to score. I was stood watching and spent all of the first half behind the away teams linesman. Maybe if he didn’t try cheating the referee would have used him more. 

As for the penalty decision. It was never a penalty. The goal keeper came sliding from his goal won the ball, catching so with both hands for the “losty “ attacker to two foot him in the hands which he swiftly dropped. Then for a bizarre penalty given against Gunnislake. 

Gunnislake had more of the game than suggested. And could have easily been more goals than the three that were scored. Losty didn’t really put the Gunnislake gk under any pressure from the first whistle to the last. This might sound like a one sided report but that’s the way the game went.