Cornwall Football Forum

County Youth squad named for next week

Dave Deacon

Here’s the Cornwall County Youth squad for next Thursday.

They play Plymouth Argyle U16/18s at St Blazey with a 7.15pm kick off

Alex Wharton (Helston)

Ash Winkworth (Sticker)

Ben Whiting (St Day)

Harrison Jewell (Helston)

Jack Hooper (AFC St Austell)

Jack James (Helston)

Jamie Simmonds (Saltash)

Joe Maywood 

Joshua Turner

Keelan England (Sticker)

Kieran Daughtery (Helston)

Kieran Rowe (Wadebridge)

Lewis Tonkin (Helston)

Mawgan Kewn (Penzance)

Morgan Coxhead (Sticker)

Regan Hull (Falmouth)

Reuben Talbot (Falmouth)

Sam Pickup (Falmouth)

Sam Wickins  (Wadebridge)

Samuel Buckley (Penzance)

Tom Hands (Mousehole)

Tyler Buckley (Penzance)

I think there’s four who I don’t know if they have Saturday clubs or not. Can anyone help fill in the gaps please?

Ben is good goalkeeper, with lots to learn, and he's improving with every match. Everybody at the club is delighted and proud of his selection to represent the county in this match. 

We are however disappointed that Truro college are putting pressure on Ben and other players, not allowing them to play for their club sides, if they want to be selected for the college. 

I understand that they are trying to protect them, but they undertake daily training sessions at college which are prolonged and rigourous, as well as often playing multiple college matches in quick succession, which can also take its toll on the players. But, the decision should be with the players, who will be best positioned to make such decisions, without the added pressure from the college. 

1 hour ago, Rob Hosking said:

Ben is good goalkeeper, with lots to learn, and he's improving with every match. Everybody at the club is delighted and proud of his selection to represent the county in this match. 

We are however disappointed that Truro college are putting pressure on Ben and other players, not allowing them to play for their club sides, if they want to be selected for the college. 

I understand that they are trying to protect them, but they undertake daily training sessions at college which are prolonged and rigourous, as well as often playing multiple college matches in quick succession, which can also take its toll on the players. But, the decision should be with the players, who will be best positioned to make such decisions, without the added pressure from the college. 

Are you attending these sessions with them !  I’m sure those in charge must be aware of the young lads playing times everyday.

Also the young lads would not be best positioned to decide as a young lad would tell you he can play not stop 7 days a week .  On this occasion leave it to the pros. 👍 

Rob - a lot of the lads who play for the College are actually on ‘football based’ courses and as such it is part of their curriculum to do training and play games. They have a FIFA A Licence head coach, phsyio’s and a goal keeping coach, so they are well catered for - giving them the opportunity to play games around the Country / overseas tournaments and previously coaching from the likes of Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole - hence possibly why Ben is doing so well at st Day and now for the County. 

Perhaps, playing Devils Advocate, it is St Day that are applying pressure?

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, as most people do interpret things on this forum and I don't want a club v county or club v college row. I know how organised and well run the college programme is, the experience and qualifications that the coaches and educators hold; the opportunities and skills that the students gain from it.

However, as a coach/assistant manager at an amateur football club, who spends a limited amount of time with the players, I still have an obligation to look out for my players and safeguard their health and wellbeing, be it mentally or physically. I take great pride in doing my best for others, I am probably better and more concerned about looking after others, than looking after myself and I am sure that the 1000's of people that I have assisted/helped over the years in and out of work would agree.

I have been fortunate to have undertaken multiple qualifications and gained some invaluable experience, in and out of work or sport, which has enabled me to identify those in need and to support them wherever possible. On a football front this has included fitness programmes, coaching, nutritional advice or even a simple chat. I have also spent time in the past watching college sports programmes and attending professional football academies with a family member, who assesses them for the FA, as well as making friends and spending time quizzing them at their academies, around subjects like strength and conditioning, nutrition and mental health support.

All of this does not make me an expert, nor does it make me more qualified than anybody else. It does however give me some good knowledge and an understanding of what players go through and the stresses/expectations placed upon them. We as a club (St Day) will do all that we can to support and remove any stressors that may affect our players, and would never put any pressure on anybody to play recreational sport/football, or choose one team/opportunity over another. So, I do not expect those with far superior experience and qualifications at college, to place undue pressure on any youngster to pick them over their club, or say that they will be dropped from the college team, if they choose to play in a match at their club a day or two before the college plays. If a player wants to play 5 times a week then it is their prerogative, then the coaches can monitor them and keep a close eye on them for signs of burnout, mental or physical fatigue etc. And I would do the same, looking out for my players, be they a 17 year old college athlete or 30 year old working 8-10 hours a day on a busy building site.

No more replies from me. Take care guys, see you on the pitch.