ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE EAST
AFC St Austell Reserves    v    Liskeard Athletic Reserves 
Saltash United Reserves    v    Callington Town Reserves 

ST PIRAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE WEST
Penryn Athletic    v    Mullion 7:00pm KO
Falmouth Town Reserves    v    Illogan RBL 
Helston Athletic Reserves    v    St Day

Falmouth Town Res 2, Illogan RBL 0

The main difference between this league and the Combo is that in the Combo you often see players  making the wrong decisions. In St Piran you see the right decisions being made more often but with insufficient skill to put them into effect! Makes for unexpected excitement, of course. But there I was saying I'd rather watch these two tonight rather than England on the telly because there'd be a load of this boring "building from the back" pony and blow me, at times both Falmouth and Illogan were at it! Mind, in patches both teams played a pressing game to force the backs to unload but neither team did it for 90 minutes. Should have been a "one-niller" until the Illogan 'keeper decided he was Messi and got caught in possession (capital offence in my opinion!) for 2 - 0. Goals on 63 and 90+2. Illogan had a couple of players who thought they could take on the whole opposition and over the 90+ minutes didn't learn the lesson that they weren't good enough after being C.I.P. so many times. It was the poorest St Piran game I've seen so far this season. Illogan's strikers were woefully off-target all evening and should have seen Falmouth off if only they knew how to shoot! And - why make a substitution in the 5th minute of added-on time? A real mystery, that!

SOME good news - well, news to me, that according to the Tea Lady (tea from a pot, £1 but a polystyrene cup), Falmouth Town are staying put at Bickland Park. I hope that's right, it is such a wonderful old ground with a lot of history and a great vantage point from the back of the stand. I was really, really pleased to hear that: fair cheered me up!

Their burgers look really good value, £2.50 for a quarter-pounder.

13 minutes ago, Tom Trust said:

Falmouth Town Res 2, Illogan RBL 0

The main difference between this league and the Combo is that in the Combo you often see players  making the wrong decisions. In St Piran you see the right decisions being made more often but with insufficient skill to put them into effect! Makes for unexpected excitement, of course. But there I was saying I'd rather watch these two tonight rather than England on the telly because there'd be a load of this boring "building from the back" pony and blow me, at times both Falmouth and Illogan were at it! Mind, in patches both teams played a pressing game to force the backs to unload but neither team did it for 90 minutes. Should have been a "one-niller" until the Illogan 'keeper decided he was Messi and got caught in possession (capital offence in my opinion!) for 2 - 0. Goals on 63 and 90+2. Illogan had a couple of players who thought they could take on the whole opposition and over the 90+ minutes didn't learn the lesson that they weren't good enough after being C.I.P. so many times. It was the poorest St Piran game I've seen so far this season. Illogan's strikers were woefully off-target all evening and should have seen Falmouth off if only they knew how to shoot! And - why make a substitution in the 5th minute of added-on time? A real mystery, that!

SOME good news - well, news to me, that according to the Tea Lady (tea from a pot, £1 but a polystyrene cup), Falmouth Town are staying put at Bickland Park. I hope that's right, it is such a wonderful old ground with a lot of history and a great vantage point from the back of the stand. I was really, really pleased to hear that: fair cheered me up!

Their burgers look really good value, £2.50 for a quarter-pounder.

The St Pirans league is basically the old Combo League Tom. The question is will any of the teams step up to the SWPL?

PENRYN  (0)  4       Ryan Reeve 47’ 84’  Jack Rapsey 62’  Tom Annear 66’

MULLION  (0)  0

ATT: 68

REF:  Mr Ian Roberts 9/10 very good

MOM: Jack Rapsey (Penryn)

A beautiful evening at Kernick Road and another 3 points for league leaders Penryn who made it 7 straight wins at the start of the new St.Piran league season. Mullion proved a tough nut to crack first half with their strong organised defending and weren’t afraid of a tackle and at times looked dangerous on the odd break with Rob Carey and Tom Bryant looking sharp. Referee Mr Ian Roberts had a good game trying to play advantage when possible and clamped down quickly on the rare bad tackle on the night. The hosts Bradley Leivers had a header deflected over the bar by a defender after 6 minutes and 5 minutes later at the other end a miskick by keeper Ben Mitchell fell to a Mullion player 35 yards from goal but his effort was well blocked by captain fantastic Russell May. Back came Penryn on 17 minutes and a clever flick by Jack Rapsey saw Leivers snap shot well held by the keeper. 4 minutes later a lovely cross field ping by Leivers from left to right saw Ryan Reeve get in around the back but stand in keeper Jordan Lugg blocked bravely at his feet but could take no further part in the game after a heavy knock. On 26 minutes a cleared corner was driven over from the thunderous left foot of Tom Annear before Rapsey tested the fresh keeper with a dipping volley from 30 yards which he did well to hold before a Harry Roberts corner saw another Leivers headers well held by the keeper. Billy Williams and Annear were knocking the ball around well to feet in the hosts midfield but in the 35th minute there was a dangerous attack down the Mullion left and a drive across goal but the late running midfielder could only get his studs to the ball at at full stretch at the far post. Another superb diagonal ball from Annear saw Jake Shaw slip a ball inside to Rapsey but his shot was well blocked before Leivers fantastic ariel ability saw him head over the keeper who did well to dive back and tip over on 42 minutes. From the resulting Annear corner Leivers head and keepers fist met the ball at the same time with the ball dropping past the post. A quick break from the visitors saw Carey go clear on the right and the unselfish May pulled him back for a good tactical foul (take one for the team) in football speak as Mr Roberts rightly got his yellow card out his pocket right on half time. A fired up Carey produced a good shot on the turn which was well saved by Mitchell diving to his left in front of his dad and ex keeper John Mitchell making his first appearance at Kernick this season to watch his son keep a clean sheet. Two minutes into stoppage time Annear sent over another of those 40 yard laser diagonals he was pinging around all evening and Reeve sent a looping header onto the roof of the net. Penryn manager Harry Pope asked for a reaction from his team in the half time team talk and it had the desired affect as the 2nd half was only 2 minutes old when Leivers header back across goal was sliced by Rapsey into the path of Reeve who mis kicked the ball into the corner of the net from 4 yards. ( close to the Sheringham 99 goal v Bayern in the champions league final would say ) in the 54th minute  lovely one touch play from Rapsey and Annear saw Leivers released on the left and his driven low cross was cut out just as Reeve was about to pull the trigger. A couple of minutes later Shaws powerful cross shot was miskicked wide from 3 yards by Rapsey but 6 minutes later a ball over the top saw the keeper out smartly to head away from the chasing Reeve but it fell to Rapsey 30 yards from goal who side footed the ball back into the net first time on the volley after 62 minutes. Four minutes later Rapsey cut inside two defenders before clipping a lovely ball over a couple of defenders into the path of Annear who took the ball in his stride with a great first touch around the keeper before sliding his finish in off the inside of the post. A well worked corner routine saw an Annear corner sent back to Reeve just outside the box but his first time volley went wide. A Reeve cross from the right saw Rapsey turn sharply but shoot straight at the keeper before a little five minute spell from Mullion saw a couple of deep crosses headed away by the impressive Ed Rowe and Nick Boase and Mitchell was alert to make a smart stop low down. Rapsey robbed a defender down the left and bent a cross around the back of the defence that was just too far for Reeve who returned the favour back to Rapsey from the right but he shot into the side netting from a narrow angle. The lively Rapsey then cut in from the left curling a shot over the keeper but it struck the top of the crossbar after 77 minutes and 3 minutes later strikers Reeve and Rapsey ran riot yet again with Rapsey slipping in Reeve to shoot from an angle which was well saved by the keeper at the near post but Reeve cut the rebound back to Rapsey who volleyed over from ten yards. With 6 minutes to go Shaw played in Rapsey whose shot from 15 yards was beaten out by the keeper but Reeve was on hand to sweep the ball home from 8 yards to double his tally. A couple of minutes later Reeve cut in from the left but shot just over the bar before a lovely chip to the far post by Reeve saw Rapsey head wide at the far post. With almost the last kick of the game another Reeve strike cleared the crossbar as the visitors overworked defence were relieved to hear the final whistle. Good to see old Mullion player Asa Haslam \before the game who said he could never catch me but I’m sure I remember a few bruises and tough tackles off him over the years!?! Good to see John Mitch there watching his boy follow in his goalkeeping footsteps as well. So many good performances on the night for Penryn but gone for that young lad Rapsey whose link up play and touch dropping in the hole was excellent tonight and he scored the goal of the night with the other three assists so hope I’m not too biased!? On another night Reeve and Rapsey probably could have scored 5 each with a bit of luck with team mates around them creating so many chances as well as the ones they create for each other. Penryn go back to Perranwell on Saturday in a break from league action as it’s time for the Senior Cup 1st Round.