Helston Athletic       3-2    St Blazey 

Saltash United       7-0      Sticker

KITCHEN KIT PENINSULA PREMIER DIVISION WEST
Bodmin Town  2  v  1  Launceston 
Callington Town  1  v  3  St Dennis 
Godolphin Atlantic 1   v  5  Mousehole 
Helston Athletic  4   v  1  St Blazey 
Saltash United  6  v  0  Sticker

My predictions for tonight's games. I don't expect any slip ups but midweek games is normally when they occur. I'll be making my first ever visit to Goldophin to hopefully see the Seagulls pick up another 3 points and edge closer to the top of the table.

Helston 3 (Goldsworthy 2, S Beattie)

St Blazey 2 (Eaton, Alexander)

Not the easiest of games on the eye as too foggy!

Helston twice took the lead but on each occasion the Green & Blacks (playing tonight in their trendy new away kit of tangerine) pegged them back.

In the end it took a great piece of individual skill from Helston sub Kai Cornish to make space for himself to whip in a cross which Goldy (who else!) got on the end of to head into the roof of the net.

One of those games where Helston will feel they did enough for all three points, while St Blazey will also suggest themselves that they deserved at least a draw.

83 attendance I think. The Blues Chairman Paul Hendy asked me to choose the Helston Man of the Match - difficult but goals wins games and so had to be Goldy!

I took in the Helston v St Blazey game tonight as well, Dave. Was a very enjoyable game through the fog! I was very impressed with St Blazey against, for me, an underwhelming Helston side. St Blazey dictated play in the early stages and knocked the ball around rather comfortably away from home. Helston were clinical when chances were presented and Goldsworthy obliged. 

I felt second half St Blazey deserved their equaliser and were very good value for at least a point. A very good away performance. Wasn’t blown away with Helston, despite their calibre of player on the pitch. A few looking like they just turn up for a packet and that’ll do, maybe a one off perhaps.

Well worth the entry fee, despite the weather!

11 minutes ago, TopBloke said:

I took in the Helston v St Blazey game tonight as well, Dave. Was a very enjoyable game through the fog! I was very impressed with St Blazey against, for me, an underwhelming Helston side. St Blazey dictated play in the early stages and knocked the ball around rather comfortably away from home. Helston were clinical when chances were presented and Goldsworthy obliged. 

I felt second half St Blazey deserved their equaliser and were very good value for at least a point. A very good away performance. Wasn’t blown away with Helston, despite their calibre of player on the pitch. A few looking like they just turn up for a packet and that’ll do, maybe a one off perhaps.

Well worth the entry fee, despite the weather!

Agreed! Helston seemed to lack ideas and a bitta gusto, whatever that is! 3 points is what counts however 

Watched a dominant display from Saltash tonight.

Very professional win against a side that look resigned to being a bottom 3 team all season.

Any side out there are going to struggle to keep Hughes and Richards’s quiet for 90 minutes, the quality they have and the understanding between them is terrific and in my opinion is what will give them the edge of their rivals this season.

Looking at their bench tonight, not many teams can name the quality of O’Brien, Trott, Menhenick and Thompson. Only problem I can see is keeping them all happy.

Gutted we didnt bring at least a point home. Helston had long run out of ideas and resorted to hoof ball from freekicks launched into the box. St Blazey had a good chance to go in front near the end but thats the fine line between a win and a defeat. Poor crowd of just 83. At least 16 made the journey down from St Blazey i know off. Couldnt see if there were any others in the fog. 

Don’t forget the East Division!!!

Wednesday 11th September 

SWPL Premier Division East 

Ivybridge Town 0

Torpoint Athletic 1

It was a solitary goal by Lewis Young late in the second half that sealed the win for the men from The Mill on this damp evening at Erme Valley on Wednesday evening.

The match was only ten minutes old when Gary Hird head just wide from 12 yards after a superb cross in.

Two minutes later the hosts had a chance as Sam Stevens went inch’s wide.

Twenty minutes into the match Paul Heveran hit 30 yard screamer to go very close over the cross bar.

Three minutes later, Danny Zalick hit the crossbar after breaking through the hosts defence.

Just before the break The Ives hit the post from Sam Ryan.

The game ebbed and flowed the second half and the 67th minute a Sam Ryan free kick from 25 yards was put around the post by visiting goal keeper Jason Peters.

With ten minutes left, prolific goal scorer Lewis Young, shoots home after good build play to be the winner and took the wind out of sails of the home side.

With a few minutes left, Paul Heveran went just wide from 20yards.

Stats

Ivybridge Town: K. Gregory, H, Harvey-Searle, S. Pocock, D. Youldon, J. Zimmerma, J. Rowe. S. Ryan, S. Stevens (T. Moody 75), C. McAuley, J. Hanson.

Subs not used: J. Seery, H. Tomlinson, J . Webb

Sin Bins: None

Torpoint Athletic: H. Peters, P. Heveran, L. Bevan, S. Hill, E. Crawford, D. Hicks, L. Young, M. Lucas (J. McCreery 78), D. Zalick, L. Kershaw (O. Raven 61), G. Hird (J. Miller 45).

Subs not used: L. Pacey

Sin Bins: None

Bookings: None

Att: 86

MOM: Darren Hicks 

Referee: Andrew Glanville

2 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

What happened at callington? Cracking result 1 no one predicted! St dennis took a hammering 

Shows how quickly things can change (or how strange results can occur in midweek games). Last week Cally were down and out after sacking their manager, and it doesn't seem that long ago St Dennis were being talked about as having had a decent start.

1 hour ago, Blues10 said:

Agree Leeds. Very below par performance against a side that played superbly, but still.. 3 points!

Exactly. I rest my case, this will be the problem within this league Mark, the good sides on a very bad day will still have to much for the weaker sides on their good days .... If that makes any sense! 🤣

2 hours ago, Blues10 said:

Agree Leeds. Very below par performance against a side that played superbly, but still.. 3 points!

Cheers for that Goldy....take a lot from the “against a side that played superbly” comment. I know I’m biased but I thought everyone in an (orange!) shirt put in a real shift against a much fancied side....good luck for the rest of the season.....

3 hours ago, Roche Raider said:

Been poor for years really! Underachievers!

That’s a bit of a contradiction ? Can’t be underachievers if we’re poor surely?! We wouldn’t achieve anything right ? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Cally were better then us last night hands down. But the boys turn up and play the game they enjoy and we have a beer and a laugh after without any packets involved, we will continue to do so. We will get some results along the way this season, maybe upset a few because on our day we are capable. We knew this league was going to be a hard step up but will enjoy it And drink plenty of 🍺🍺 whenever we go on the way ☺️

1 hour ago, Hetty said:

Tavistock, Exmouth and Plymouth Argyle departing has significantly weakened this division. 

cant argue on that front, all 3 are top sides and would've been good to see them in this league, much more interesting games! (also a few extra tankings too). Ive been surprised how well the West teams have done, expected them to be way off it and essentially have their own league within this league!

Saw the Helston vs Blazey game last night. Not the best game really.having said that I couldn't see much through a very deep fog.

Thought Blazey played the better football but never really got any clear chances. Helston on the other hand were untidy but took there chances well especially that Goldie. He likes a moan tho. Blazey scored two but one luckily fell to a striker 3 yards out after a few deflection and couldn't miss. The second a penalty,putting the helston keeper the wrong way.

Overall I would say correct result,sometimes when a team doesn't perform but wins is a big positive.